• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Remove Trap Cycle Not Completing

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I have 90 RT on my hunter and when I do Horde or Trove maps the remove trap cycle stops every time a guardian spawns no matter how close I stay to the chest. While I was training RT on the lower level maps it would continue to tick until the trap was removed. I used some pinks to go from 75 to 90 and I am wondering if it is supposed to work like this on higher maps.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So I have 90 RT on my hunter and when I do Horde or Trove maps the remove trap cycle stops every time a guardian spawns no matter how close I stay to the chest. While I was training RT on the lower level maps it would continue to tick until the trap was removed. I used some pinks to go from 75 to 90 and I am wondering if it is supposed to work like this on higher maps.
higher maps have a longer time before the chest becomes available (and remove trap will be successful)

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Are you sure you're not getting a message like "the lock jams"? That spawns a guardian and you have to restart the RT cycle.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
higher maps have a longer time before the chest becomes available (and remove trap will be successful)
It isn’t a question of time... it was my understanding from reading the patch notes that the remove trap process would continue once it was started unless the player moved more than 16 tiles from the chest. This seemed to be working correctly when I was doing supply maps working my remove trap skill from 28-75. I ate some pinks to get to 90 remove trap and started doing horde and trove maps. Now the remove trap process stops after every guardian and I have to restart it no matter how close I stay to the chest (usually I stay within about 5 tiles).

This seems broken based on my understanding of the patch notes and how the lower level maps were working before. Is it the higher skill that changes it? The higher map level? Or is something broken?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you sure you're not getting a message like "the lock jams"? That spawns a guardian and you have to restart the RT cycle.
Is there a reason I would be getting that message every guardian on every map regardless of how close I stay?

Innoxicated

Journeyman
I have the same issue, but haven't paid attention to system messages. Then again it seems like something I surely would have noticed at least once, lol.

I just end up having to restart RT every so often if it seems like nothing is happening.

Nereus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Taking too long to kill the guardians can result in that outcome.
Are the guardians spawning of the blue color, the brown/orange color, or mixed when this happens?

Have a handful of Treasure Hunter characters set to various RT levels. Prior to last publish my rate of RT failure (lock jamming in pinkish text) on hoard/trove was higher with RT in the 70s-80s than in the 60s or GM. Have not noticed a difference since publish. Viewing it as a feature of the skill curve.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My experience - the "Lock jams" is color text. Nothing more.

There's a timer running in the background, not directly associated with Remove Trap. As long as it's still running, you'll get blue Ancient spawn with each use of RT on Hoards and Troves. Once it runs out, you get at worst one more, before the chest is untrapped, on the next try.

If I kill the initial guardians quickly, I get ancient spawn after ancient spawn after ancient spawn.
If I end up fighting 5-10 minutes (generally the result of Frost Dragons and Greater Dragons being 2 or more of the spawn), I MIGHT get 1 ancient spawn, if any.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe I am explaining myself wrong:

Previous experience:
I would use the remove trap skill 1 time on the chest which would start the process and the timer. Blue guardians would spawn and get defeated until I got the message that the trap was disarmed. The only time I ever had to use remove trap on the chest again was if I moved outside the 16 tile radius. RT skill was between 28 and 75 with noticeably fewer guardians as my skill got higher. All maps were supply maps.

Current experience:
RT skill is 90 and I am doing horde and trove maps. I guess I am getting the lock jams message with every single blue guardian that spawns and must restart the remove trap process after each one is defeated. Probably done 20ish maps and it is e v e r y s i n g l e t i m e. I’m super annoyed with it as I expected the remove trap process to continue as long as I didn’t move away from the map, which I never have to do.

Is what I am experiencing on the horde and trove maps normal?

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It was the same for me once I hit 90. Have to restart EVERY time. But on the plus side don't have more than one popping out at me at a time.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was the same for me once I hit 90. Have to restart EVERY time. But on the plus side don't have more than one popping out at me at a time.
I never had more than one even on the lower ones that did not require multiple uses of RT.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
The time it takes to kill off the initial guardians affecting how many ancients you get is an interesting idea. I've noticed getting way more ancients sometimes than others, and come to think of it that seems to happen on facets that have easier guardians to defeat.

I'm with the OP, though not quite as frustrated as perplexed. How do you know when you are supposed to restart the RT loop? I just find myself dicking around and realizing after a bit I should probably try again. It doesn't seem like its failing, I didnt think it could fail as the skill level only seems to affect how long the loop takes and the damage you receive. It seems more like its timing out or something?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe I am explaining myself wrong:

Previous experience:
I would use the remove trap skill 1 time on the chest which would start the process and the timer. Blue guardians would spawn and get defeated until I got the message that the trap was disarmed. The only time I ever had to use remove trap on the chest again was if I moved outside the 16 tile radius. RT skill was between 28 and 75 with noticeably fewer guardians as my skill got higher. All maps were supply maps.

Current experience:
RT skill is 90 and I am doing horde and trove maps. I guess I am getting the lock jams message with every single blue guardian that spawns and must restart the remove trap process after each one is defeated. Probably done 20ish maps and it is e v e r y s i n g l e t i m e. I’m super annoyed with it as I expected the remove trap process to continue as long as I didn’t move away from the map, which I never have to do.

Is what I am experiencing on the horde and trove maps normal?
I have NEVER experienced your "Previous Experience".

I had to restart RT EVERY time a monster interrupted, as I trained up from 30. Period. And I did 200-300 Stash-Cache maps in the process, and NEVER left the side of the chest. The ONLY difference was the "Lock Jams" message with the Hoard and Trove, which appeared to be color text, as I never experienced an automatic restart of RT, ever, with ANY level of chest at ANY level of RT.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have NEVER experienced your "Previous Experience".

I had to restart RT EVERY time a monster interrupted, as I trained up from 30. Period. And I did 200-300 Stash-Cache maps in the process, and NEVER left the side of the chest. The ONLY difference was the "Lock Jams" message with the Hoard and Trove, which appeared to be color text, as I never experienced an automatic restart of RT, ever, with ANY level of chest at ANY level of RT.
Very, very strange... I went from 28 (bought from thief NPC) to 75 skill in probably 25-30 supply maps. The only time I had to restart remove trap was my first map under the new process because I had to move a second account out of harms way from the constant explosions every 10 seconds doing 30ish damage each. All of the other maps would keep the process ticking, doing explosions every 10 seconds or so and spawning a blue guardian each explosion if there was not already one out. Never had two guardians at the same time even if it took more than 10 seconds to kill the existing one.

This was exactly how I understood the process was supposed to work based on the notes:

From UO.com wiki regarding remove trap:

“These give the best gains, but require a treasure map to be dug up. There is no minimum requirement for the different chest levels, instead the length of the process is variable based on the player’s Remove Trap skill, with higher Remove Trap skill requiring less disarming time. During the disarming process Ancient Chest Guardians, chosen from the monsters that can spawn during the initial dig, will spawn to defend the chest, accompanied by some fire damage to the digger and any nearby party members. These monsters will not drop any loot and must be defeated before the chest can be opened.
If the player moves more than 16 tiles away from the chest or is killed during the disarming process, the process must be restarted. The disarming process begins when a player uses Remove Trap on the chest.”

The same description is used on the treasure map potion of the wiki.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is what I am seeing on my character.
On the lower level maps, I use remove trap once and I get spawn, I kill the spawn rather quickly and another will spawn on the next remove trap cycle, this continues until the trap is removed. If the spawn is not dead when the cycle completes and it is the last cycle, I get a message that I must kill the guardian spawn first. I then have to remove trap once more but no more guardians spawn.
On the higher level maps I added remove trap and there are less cycles of remove trap. Since the Guardians are stronger it takes me longer to kill. The remove trap cycles and I almost always get the message you must kill the guardians. Once it is dead I then remove trap again, with no spawn.

Could you be getting the you must kill the guardians message?

On another note I have had the odd instance of, on the lower chests if I use magic unlock, multiple guardians will spawn during the remove trap cycles, if I lockpick the chest I only get 1 guardian at a time during the remove trap cycle. Anyone else notice this?