• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UORadio Deal or No Deal

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
So the event is being run by UORadio? So which of UORadios sponsors are supplying the prizes? I can't actually list them here as they seem to all be RMT sites...please correct me if I'm wrong.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
So the event is being run by UORadio? So which of UORadios sponsors are supplying the prizes? I can't actually list them here as they seem to all be RMT sites...please correct me if I'm wrong.
I wouldn't know, Not a member of the UOradio group. I really do not pay any attention to anything there except the music. Besides I do all my game shopping at Origin.com and the UO.com store

Last edited:

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
The app was written by a fellow on Atlantic and he for sure is not a member of the UORadio either. He is one of the AT guy for the UWF forum. So you don't have to have a browser open to the web page to listen to the music

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
still I like listening to the tunes when surfing the web or playing the game. A lot of old songs!
That's why I just go to You Tube and type in my mood..1980s hits....1990s etc...no offense but I don't need to hear someone talking about songs and UO while I play, I just want the music..

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't know, Not a member of the UOradio group. I really do not pay any attention to anything there except the music. Besides I do all my game shopping at Origin.com and the UO.com store
I am assuming you have forgotten that you were TOLD about the sponsors! More than once. ROFL

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I listen to UOradio at work.

It's awesome. Until they start playing Adam Lambert lol. :3

AC/DC though. YES

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I am assuming you have forgotten that you were TOLD about the sponsors! More than once. ROFL
So? I ignore any chat about such little details. As for opening the browser to youtube to listen to music while in the game, I rather not, the little app is all I need.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
*sigh* I guess the lack of a reply said it all...I just think people have a right to know where that gold is coming from, some of us would never buy gold but this ends up being the same thing, if you play with them then surely you are endorsing them? :(

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
@Riyana @Larisa @DreadLord Lestat @Merlin @Nexus Why is this "game" continued to be "promoted" on Stratics? It is "hosted" by a site sponsored by RMT sites. As such, isn't it against Stratics rules to discuss it on the site? Looking for clarification. Thanks.
Over time we've worked out a sort of an unofficial agreement with the folks at UORadio. If they want to advertise their events, which many in UO Community enjoy, they may but only if the links to their supporters are not displayed and those sponsors not named. Anywhere else you'll find their adverts showing the source of the prize money, here they don't.

As long as UORadio isn't to our knowledge buying or selling gold themselves, they aren't linking to, or naming sources that do engage in RMT here on Stratics we're ok with their adverts. We decided we're not making a major issue out of who sponsors them as long as our continuing this way does become problematic for Stratics. To do this we weighed the overall benefit they make to UO's Community, not just Stratics own concerns when looking at this in the past. UO Radio has been one of the most active, sources of positive community building in UO for many years at no profit to themselves. Their approach to this may not be entirely without room for criticism, but the outcome is undeniable they have had an overall net positive effect for the game, with minimal if any positive gain for themselves.

As for discussion, you can discuss the perceived merits or detriments of RMT, provided it is done in a civil manner that is in accordance with the RoC but you can't link to, name, share images of sites or individuals that actively conduct it. The wording of the RoC is as such:

• Posts linking to any 3rd party site which engages in real money transactions (RMT), which are not authorized by the Stratics Leadership Team.
    • For the purpose of this provision, the Stratics Leadership Team currently only authorizes linking to the Origin Store and the Shroud of the Avatar Store.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
So what about the other DonD event that is not being run by UORadio? As @Keith of Sonoma said in the other thread :

"...considering there is a RMT site dropping books "advertising" a DonD "special". One of the same sites that IS a "sponsor" of (at least one) of the DonD games. FYI, the fact that the "game" has VERY close ties to RMT sites should also (in my opinion) be reason enough NOT to allow it to be "advertised" on Stratics!"

Is there an unofficial agreement with this person too? I still think it is unfair to not be completely clear that prize money is very probably from a source that a lot of players would never knowingly use to obtain gold.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
So what about the other DonD event that is not being run by UORadio? As @Keith of Sonoma said in the other thread :

"...considering there is a RMT site dropping books "advertising" a DonD "special". One of the same sites that IS a "sponsor" of (at least one) of the DonD games. FYI, the fact that the "game" has VERY close ties to RMT sites should also (in my opinion) be reason enough NOT to allow it to be "advertised" on Stratics!"

Is there an unofficial agreement with this person too? I still think it is unfair to not be completely clear that prize money is very probably from a source that a lot of players would never knowingly use to obtain gold.
one of the goblins went to the New Deal or No Deal
and they said that to participate, you have to purchase a book for 5Mil
And the payout for the night was about 6Mil

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
That sounds pretty silly! I wonder why they did that....:confused: So most of the people who participated lost gold? Ummmm.....

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
one of the goblins went to the New Deal or No Deal
and they said that to participate, you have to purchase a book for 5Mil
And the payout for the night was about 6Mil
It's all a mater of luck. I went the books where 1mil each or 5mil. If your number was called you played.

It no different then the casion games. Or the vendors that sell the book with prizes in them at auction. I only paid 3mil one chase at the 3 games. If I would have played and won anything so be it .

The way people play should not bother anyone else.

Running champ spawns for a item. Spending hrs or days and even weeks trying to tame a pet to sell. Or standing at a idoc where there are 10 scripters that loot all the chests.

Every thing in this game is a matter of luck.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
everything except what happens when you click .exe files from a game forum, that's on purpose :stretcher:

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

@Nexus ?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you have an issue with obtaining gold that was once held by an RMT site, I recommend giving all of your gold to me so that I can properly inspect it. Or you could throw 90% of it in the trash can and take down all of your vendors just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
MAN, some people sure are QUICK to "defend" the RMT sites (which, no matter how much you try to "spin" it, ARE in violation of the UO ToS), and those who deal with them! Thinks to self, and wonders why anyone would do that. :D

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
MAN, some people sure are QUICK to "defend" the RMT sites (which, no matter how much you try to "spin" it, ARE in violation of the UO ToS), and those who deal with them! Thinks to self, and wonders why anyone would do that. :D
Nobody is defending RMT sites, but you can't pretend that they don't exist and most likely the majority of your UO wealth stems from their existence. It is the desire to have all of this wealth that keeps them in business. Until you can remove the player's desire to acquire in game wealth, RMT will always exist in some form or another, removing that desire from players is not easy, probably impossible. I have been fighting that fight for some time now with almost no progress.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nobody is defending RMT sites, but you can't pretend that they don't exist and most likely the majority of your UO wealth stems from their existence. It is the desire to have all of this wealth that keeps them in business. Until you can remove the player's desire to acquire in game wealth, RMT will always exist in some form or another, removing that desire from players is not easy, probably impossible. I have been fighting that fight for some time now with almost no progress.
I can assure you my "wealth" doesn't stem from RMT sites. As for the "desire", what actually keeps them in business is the Devs, @Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix UNWILLINGNESS to do anything about them. FYI, the argument that "if the scripters/gold sellers were banned, the game would shut down" is a BS copout. It's like saying "everybody else is cheating/scripting/selling gold, so I will too". You either act with integrity/honesty/follow the rules, or you don't. I choose to follow them. Using the "stick", and banning some of them, instead of sticking their heads in the sand like an ostrich (and pretending it isn't doing on) would do more good than harm. It might also cause the player, who thinks, "well, it isn't so bad", to realize that, YES, it is bad for the game.

Also, you act as if having "in game wealth" is a bad thing. It's not. it's the actions of the players who seek to cheat/script/sell gold that is the problem. Not the desire to acquire gold items, legally/morally/by following the rules.

The bottom line is, if the Devs would get off their collective rear ends, and BAN the scripters/gold sellers/cheaters the game would be better for it.

I know of over 125-150ish accounts that have been shut down, with the reason given that they were tired of all the scripting/cheating/RMT's, and the Devs REFUSAL to do anything about it. A drop in the bucket probably, but I am just ONE player. How many others are out there who don't speak up?

Lastly, I haven't put stuff on a vendor in a LONG time. ROFL

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I get that the devs should be banning the accounts that are doing it, but it's unrealistic to think they can ban them all. This has been happening since the game went live and will always continue to happen no matter how many accounts they ban. The best they could do is make it so that it is being done privately.

My point is, where do you draw the line? If I legally acquire an item and sell it on a vendor and someone goes and buys gold to purchase the item is it not partially my fault for allowing my item to be bought with RMT purchased gold? If I loot an IDOC house, there is a good chance that stuff was acquired through RMT. Are you against IDOCs? You should be if this is the hill you are choosing to die on.

The truth is, in today's UO, people want stuff. If someone wants to be competitive in PvP they have to drop hundreds of millions of gold on gear. It's unrealistic to think that they are going to play hundreds of hours of PvM content just so they can PvP. Imagine being a new player watching everyone run around with all the best stuff that they acquired mainly by using gold from RMT either directly or indirectly. How long before they jump on the bandwagon and just buy some gold?

I for one have no use for gold or fancy things, I speak to the RMT sites with my wallet. If everyone else did the same, they wouldn't exist, but I don't pretend to not understand why anyone else would buy gold or that I am in some way more "honorable" than they are for not doing so.

As far as this thread and this topic go, if any player run event is giving away tons of gold, it came from RMT either directly or indirectly. If you think Stratics should ban allowing the posting of events that are sponsored by RMT sites why not ban all event postings where gold is being given away since they are all technically sponsored by RMT sites directly or indirectly?

@Keith of Sonoma

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They could at least do more... someone asked me the other day how long it takes for a GM to respond... and I said I don't know 2 to 10 days sometimes... depends on what you page about and everything...

Seems to me that priority should go to helping players who say had their bag fall under the house (this bug really needs fixed)... since if they take 2 to 10 days that is a moot point as the item would be long gone by then.

Things like harassment should be followed up ASAP not 2 days later. Someone who's multiboxing should be observed right away but IMO they should just randomly attend at least 4 or 5 EM Events a month at random and ban all those who are there multiboxing should be banned on sight and those harassing other players and the EM ought to be put in Jail for the duration of the Event... this action would stop this behavior in its tracks... if they didn't know when or what events the GMs were going to be monitoring then they wouldn't do it anymore and would make the events better and people would return to enjoying them.

If they tacked accounts that are logged in more than 16 hours a day more than 3 days a week they would find a whole heck of a lot of scripters... Not really rocket science to figure out who's doing it and tag accounts that are and go observe them for a bit...

But that's being proactive... and they don't seem to be into that.

Seems to me they don't seem to care what you do if your account is paid... if it isn't a paid account they have no trouble banning people left and right. They also seem to turn a blind eye when it comes to certain people... I gave up long time ago trying to solve some of the issues... as most folk seem to not care or even to condone cheating... I have yet to see more than 1 or 2 PvP screenshots or video's that didn't have blatantly obvious hacks running.

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Someone who's multiboxing should be observed right away but IMO they should just randomly attend at least 4 or 5 EM Events a month at random and ban all those who are there multiboxing should be banned on sight and those harassing other players and the EM ought to be put in Jail for the duration of the Event... this action would stop this behavior in its tracks... if they didn't know when or what events the GMs were going to be monitoring then they wouldn't do it anymore and would make the events better and people would return to enjoying them.
Meez sayz dat all da timez!!

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I get that the devs should be banning the accounts that are doing it, but it's unrealistic to think they can ban them all. This has been happening since the game went live and will always continue to happen no matter how many accounts they ban. The best they could do is make it so that it is being done privately.

My point is, where do you draw the line? If I legally acquire an item and sell it on a vendor and someone goes and buys gold to purchase the item is it not partially my fault for allowing my item to be bought with RMT purchased gold? If I loot an IDOC house, there is a good chance that stuff was acquired through RMT. Are you against IDOCs? You should be if this is the hill you are choosing to die on.

The truth is, in today's UO, people want stuff. If someone wants to be competitive in PvP they have to drop hundreds of millions of gold on gear. It's unrealistic to think that they are going to play hundreds of hours of PvM content just so they can PvP. Imagine being a new player watching everyone run around with all the best stuff that they acquired mainly by using gold from RMT either directly or indirectly. How long before they jump on the bandwagon and just buy some gold?

I for one have no use for gold or fancy things, I speak to the RMT sites with my wallet. If everyone else did the same, they wouldn't exist, but I don't pretend to not understand why anyone else would buy gold or that I am in some way more "honorable" than they are for not doing so.

As far as this thread and this topic go, if any player run event is giving away tons of gold, it came from RMT either directly or indirectly. If you think Stratics should ban allowing the posting of events that are sponsored by RMT sites why not ban all event postings where gold is being given away since they are all technically sponsored by RMT sites directly or indirectly?

@Keith of Sonoma
ROFL, connecting EVERYTHING in game to RMT's is a HUGE stretch. Connecting DonD is REALLY easy.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@Riyana @Larisa @DreadLord Lestat @Merlin @Nexus Why is this "game" continued to be "promoted" on Stratics? It is "hosted" by a site sponsored by RMT sites. As such, isn't it against Stratics rules to discuss it on the site? Looking for clarification. Thanks.
To clarify a bit more, we don't promote them. They are allowed to advertise the event itself, but are not allowed to advertise the sponsor here because of the reasons Nexus already described. As I understand it, the people running the games are not themselves RMT sellers, and there is no cost to participate. When on occasion they have posted an ad in error that had sponsor info on it, we have insisted they change it and they have done so without complaint.

We've discussed it internally several times actually. Many players participate in these events and want to know about them, so we draw our line at advertising the sponsor itself here on Stratics. They have accommodated our policy. If that policy is ever abused, it can be revisited, but so far it hasn't been a problem that I'm aware of and honestly I don't anticipate it becoming one with UORadio. Exactly how the event runners are getting the gold from their "sponsor" or what their exact arrangement is, I don't know, but if you go to an event there is no way you can miss where the gold is ultimately coming from. You can make your own decisions from there.

Letting UORadio advertise their events is a very small concession in what I believe has been a very consistently firm stance against third party RMT by Stratics the past several years in a game so rife with it and with such a small remaining community. Stratics will not endorse, advertise, or allow to be advertised third party game item RMT selling as long as I have any say, but for the specific case of the UORadio games, I think that the scale is still balanced more on the beneficial than detrimental side, all things considered, and they are not advertising the sales themselves here or requiring anyone to pay to play their games.

If something has changed, we can and will review. Going through this thread it sounds like the goalposts may have moved yet again... if you have specifics that can't be posted on the public forums that you would like us to be aware of, please feel free to PM or email me and/or Nexus, Larisa, and DreadLord Lestat.

That said, I don't know how they could still be attracting players in modern UO without huge prizes, but that is more a UO problem than a them problem--and Stratics has the same issue when we run contests. While I don't condone or participate in purchasing from RMTers, I do understand why people do--and again, UO's broken economy is a game problem. One that is being continually exacerbated by RMT in a cycle of greed, decay, and lack of consequence.

Personally I think the treatment of RMT and players profiting off the game is the single largest factor in its continued decline, contributing heavily to nearly every complaint we see about in game misbehavior, but Stratics can't fix that. Players can't fix that. The unfortunate fact at this point is that if you do a lot of typical UO gameplay--if you drop an IDOC, if you buy from the swag store, if you purchase literally anything from a vendor, if you attend/support EM events--then you are probably supporting an RMTer in some way. There is a blind eye, and there is active rewarding, and I think UO passed that point some time ago. Until and unless Broadsword takes a meaningful stance and verifiable action against RMT and stops actively rewarding RMTers, it's never going to get better.

We draw our line at naming/directing traffic to the sales themselves. If you have suggestions for how we might change or improve this or any other policy, I recommend opening a discussion in the Stratics Help and Suggestions forum. If and when we do go to make changes, that will be where we will be looking for community input.

Fel Graves

Visitor
People that promote gold scamming sites should be lined up and shot from a terribly expensive cannon (that can only be bought form the uo shop) into fel, no ifs or butts, unless the butts are ifs and not on my bus. FAKE NEWS!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
When my husband and I came back to UO 3 1/2 years ago we went to a DonD event, we had wondered why the people we knew didn't go to them or seem even slightly interested. When we attended that first one we didn't know they were advertising their sponsors as we were not actually listening to UORadio. None of the people we knew in game would ever go to any of the events because of the affiliation with scripting/duping that most of the RMT sites have. We had never even heard of those sites as we didn't know anyone who used them. It does matter to a lot of people where the prizes are coming from and they are entitled to know about it so they can make up their own minds. I used to listen to UORadio with my son when he played back in 2006-2008, I don't know if they had sponsorship from RMT sites back then, but if we had thought they did we probably wouldn't have listened to UORadio. I know cheating/scripting/duping is rife, but I personally do not want to encourage it, even if the powers that be don't seem to care! :(

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
But the players can do something about it... They can NOT attend events that promote it... they can NOT buy the gold and items for RL money...

But the fact of the matter is obviously plenty of people do support and promote it... plenty of people obviously buy the gold and items and such for RL money... if they didn't then it wouldn't be an issue.

What really gets me is those who come and say how horrible and whatnot it is... yet you know that folk do it... So if everyone cries about how awful it is... who's buying all the gold and items?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I know, I know, it's so bad that people just blatantly say in game now that they bought gold and items, they say it's because the economy is so bad they just can't compete or catch up, well I can sort of see their point sometimes.
If the people running the game won't do anything about it and don't seem to care any more then who can blame the people buying the gold? Doing nothing to stop it or worse, making changes that help the scripters/gold sellers is pretty much saying it's okay....:(

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know, I know, it's so bad that people just blatantly say in game now that they bought gold and items, they say it's because the economy is so bad they just can't compete or catch up, well I can sort of see their point sometimes.
If the people running the game won't do anything about it and don't seem to care any more then who can blame the people buying the gold? Doing nothing to stop it or worse, making changes that help the scripters/gold sellers is pretty much saying it's okay....:(
I have personally sent Mesanna, and Kyronix PROOF of goldselling, and they REFUSE to do anything about it. For what it's worth, A LOT of them are "rares collectors", or "brokers", or "realtors", and are "friends" with some of the developers.