• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Ultima Online Newsletter #39

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Reckon now with the new forums rules, instead of my posts just getting yanked I'll be getting yanked.

But this rule probably won't apply to Kyronix when he tells people they have nothing useful to bring to the table so shutup. (paraphrased)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm sure it doesn't... And it won't apply to their pets... It'll only apply to those who like me tell the truth and try to hold people to that.

I'm sorry but that's how I was brought up... I was brought up with constant criticism and sarcasm to the max... and perpetual negative reinforcement... it's a learned thing. I often speak before I think about what is coming out but it always comes straight from my heart. I know that I can lack tact... and I know that I'm often blunt and to the point. Highly emotional and passionate about things. But that's part of what makes me who I am. I wouldn't want to be any other way. I have always been open and honest and I have high standards that I adhere to for myself... I take pride in my work and I expect others to do the same... and when they don't... I get irritated. I can't stand fake people or lies... I put those people who tend to lie and cheat and scam on my "Do NOT Trust" list and they do not ever come off it.

I won't tolerate being lied to... or cheated. And I don't tolerate a 1/2 ass job. I expect things to be done right.... and when they aren't I expect people to want to make it right and fix it not ignore it and sweep it under the proverbial carpet and expect it to be forgotten ... I don't forget. Probably a flaw of my OCD (CDO) and ADD my mind is always on... and it fixates on things... like broken things. Such as the Beacons being broken and it just grates on me till I get super annoyed. Takes a lot of the "fun" out of the game when I am constantly reminded of stuff that is broken. Like my quiver... Each time I'm on my Archer (which is pretty much most the time) the flaw is in my face bothering me... reducing my ability to enjoy the game.

But that's me. Maybe others can just forget it and deal and move on but to me it's like salt on an open wound.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What's annoying you about your quiver?
Can you put it in the form of a wish and add that to the wish list?
Do you want the long or short answer?

They broke it and it's been broke for a long while now... they are aware of the issue and haven't bothered fixing it...

Short answer...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Haha, pressing issues indeed.
Don't make light of it. It's one of many many annoying things that could be fixed, smoothed out, streamlined, etc etc. But there's no percentage in it for them to do so. Not when they can make trinkets to sell in the store.

Maybe someday they will add a deed to the store for $1, that we can buy and target out quivers with to fix them.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't make light of it. It's one of many many annoying things that could be fixed, smoothed out, streamlined, etc etc. But there's no percentage in it for them to do so. Not when they can make trinkets to sell in the store.

Maybe someday they will add a deed to the store for $1, that we can buy and target out quivers with to fix them.
Oh sorry, was meaning the part on the forum bans. Meanwhile no word if and when they intend to fix their latest and greatest event.

The part where Bonnie lies about the treasure map nerf portraying it as a upgrade is interesting as well, to say the least.

Last edited:

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can't help but think that the forum part of that is aimed at people responding to an individual who tends to post outlandish demands on how things should work and then steadfastly refuses to see any explanations that don't support those demands. That individual seems to bring out the umm annoyance in some others ;)

Last edited:

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Reckon now with the new forums rules, instead of my posts just getting yanked I'll be getting yanked.

But this rule probably won't apply to Kyronix when he tells people they have nothing useful to bring to the table so shutup. (paraphrased)
@Kyronix has also told a few of us that we probably shouldn't bother going to test center, after we told him the sad, sad, truth about the latest disaster, that has become "The Great Treasure Chest Loot Nerf of 2019". My guess is he only wants players on TC who will wave those Pom Poms. The sad part is, like @MalagAste , I don't think it's all his, or @Bleak 's fault. I (kind of) get the impression they are caught "between a rock and a hard place".

FYI, @Uriah Heep I really don't even bother to log in much at all over "there". Although, it interesting on occasion, to pop in on the UO Forum, and see all of the gold/item sellers sucking up.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No idoc script cheating solution then. Atlantic is rife with script loot cheating but I guess it’s not on the radar to deal with. So the 10 plus char script cheating scumbag is still free to exploit. Just shocking. Avatar not being dealt with then? Oh wait that’s the same guy so leave him be then.

Until you finally get rid of this cheat how about cancelling idocs until you see fit to target him

That’s too much work, let’s just fire out a stupid pumpkin boat. That will please them won’t it ?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No idoc script cheating solution then. Atlantic is rife with script loot cheating but I guess it’s not on the radar to deal with. So the 10 plus char script cheating scumbag is still free to exploit. Just shocking. Avatar not being dealt with then? Oh wait that’s the same guy so leave him be then.

Until you finally get rid of this cheat how about cancelling idocs until you see fit to target him

That’s too much work, let’s just fire out a stupid pumpkin boat. That will please them won’t it ?
They are busy getting rid of people on the forums. No time for the game..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Haha, pressing issues indeed.
Ok so you want the long answer...

Problem with Quivers... You can't anymore "drop" more arrows into them... you can't open them and drop the "returned" arrows onto the pile in there they just bounce back into your backpack...

BIGGER issue... you do not get the bonus from the quiver if the arrows being used come from your backpack... so while you fight you are constantly being "returned" arrows which go into your backpack.... the game uses THOSE arrows first... screwing you out of the bonus of your quiver by using those... but you want to put them in the quiver to save on your weight and such so to do that you have to open the quiver all the time take all the arrows out stack them with the ones in your backpack and put them back in...

They USED to just let you drag them from your pack and drop them into your quiver and I would do this often ... but now you can't... Now it's dragging them out of the quiver into your pack and then drop them back... over and over... its a pain. 2x more steps and way less function. Wouldn't care if you got the bonus from the quiver regardless of where the arrows come from... but you don't. Also wouldn't be an issue if the game would use from your equipped quiver first instead of your pack.... but again... that's not how it works... So having this BUG which has been reported and is a known issue is a big deal IMO for archers... which is my main template... so yeah... not happy about it. And tired of it being ignored. But that's just one bug in 100 that go on and on and nothing gets done about while they "fix" things that weren't broken and break more stuff.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Geee hope they never look at my multiple accts of Naming Violations :)

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Geee hope they never look at my multiple accts of Naming Violations :)
Word of advise DO NOT logg in with those characters on an EJ account they will terminate the account the (1 Naming violations) in the news letter is my oldest account and it got terminated because of a nameing violation of a character created 18 years ago

needless to say im so done with this game

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There was an old Saturday Night Live skit that caused problems in UO when people named a char Colonel Angus. I know two that got 72'd. And yet today I see names freely running around that make me want to gag, and evidently is okay nowdays.

Musta been a hell of a name to get banned LOL.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There was an old Saturday Night Live skit that caused problems in UO when people named a char Colonel Angus. I know two that got 72'd. And yet today I see names freely running around that make me want to gag, and evidently is okay nowdays.

Musta been a hell of a name to get banned LOL.
The only reason i got was that i was playing on an EJ account and the account is marked terminated so i would assume it is gone i have never had a bann on any accs during all years I have played uo so can not say for sure if it is gone or only banned

It was a realy fun welcome back present lol

Does not matter to me anymore but as a warning IF YOU PLAY ON EJ ACC do not do anything sillly

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Word of advise DO NOT logg in with those characters on an EJ account they will terminate the account the (1 Naming violations) in the news letter is my oldest account and it got terminated because of a nameing violation of a character created 18 years ago

What was the name?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

If it wasn't for some higher powers I bet Mesanna would have never added F2P. It just shows how they hate EJ players at Broadsword. Bet this game could a retro highlight but would need a management with some vision and drive. Not a glorified GM spending her time dyeing items for players *shrugs* :next:

Stay safe.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What was the name?
I'm not going to say

I can say it was a bit racist
at first glance most probably would not know it was I did not
Or maybe I did when I created the character. It was 18 years ago i have no idea why i named him that
had to google to find out why that name would be illigal because getting an answer out of them why I was banned was impossible

And that is what realy annoyed me because I tryed to get an answer and when I finally got one it was (The matter is final your account is terminated because of a naming violation stop posting uss your post will go unanswered)

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If it wasn't for some higher powers I bet Mesanna would have never added F2P. It just shows how they hate EJ players at Broadsword. Bet this game could a retro highlight but would need a management with some vision and drive. Not a glorified GM spending her time dyeing items for players *shrugs* :next:

Stay safe.
Thx I donno what mesanna and co done in uo for the last couple of years but EJ players are the scum of the earth they made that pretty clear to me
One would think that everybody should deserve a warning first (this is the first time during all these years for me) or even a warning when you logg on an EJ acc that any violation of the rules will lead to the termination of the account

I probably would have settle for a good explanation but all i got was the middle finger

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They I would think should have offered a name change or pulled you in and said change it or else not a direct no nothing ban... that seems odd to me... but then I don't have any EJ accounts.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They I would think should have offered a name change or pulled you in and said change it or else not a direct no nothing ban... that seems odd to me... but then I don't have any EJ accounts.

Well, having seen how they act and talk to paying customers, I can only imagine how bad the attitude can be towards EJ accounts lol.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, having seen how they act and talk to paying customers, I can only imagine how bad the attitude can be towards EJ accounts lol.
True... it's a shame really... so what gets me is they are quick to ban an account for a name but nothing happens at all to the players who are scripting IDOCs... or running multiboxed accounts at EM events... but one non-paying EJ logs in and is banned for a name???? Priorities right?

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes i probably have 6-7 friends of the years that had got a forced name change so it is an EJ thing for sure

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1 - Staff Impersonation

lol
Y'all need to set the bar a little higher...
Yeah isn't that a crock of the proverbial all those so called 'actions', meanwhile on Oceania our resident doom guardian room scripter runs continuously and has done for over a year, using a young char to grief anyone else who tries to get in as well as the main toon. This char has been reported at least a hundred times now, we have all done it countless times.

You put a chest down in front of the one door she uses, there are two doors so you aren't blocking, and she stands there trying to walk through it for half an hour or so instead of stepping one tile to the south so will stutter there until the chest decays. The gm comes and who knows how long they have been 'watching' but yeah

upload_2019-7-28_23-7-16.png

for a while is like 20-30 mins or so, so yes they are surely attended and don't notice the fact they can't walk forward a step. Yeah right. But the gm watches and does nothing and can see plainly that the character is unattended and of course the min they speak the 'alarm' goes off and the toon replies and the gm says have a nice day and off they go.

it is a total JOKE and frankly they wonder why we get pissed off. Go read the thread on the oceania forum on the official shard. We even sent Mesanna the video feed of the char in the room for 15 hours without stopping and it is obvious as hell. Not to mention the other dozen or so videos of massive script running. We were live streaming him/her when the devs were at the last meet and greet yet still they do NOTHING.

Frankly all that 'actioned' stuff on the newsletter is probably absolute twaddle.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes i probably have 6-7 friends of the years that had got a forced name change so it is an EJ thing for sure
EJ may have a 1 strike you're out policy but for paying accounts their action depends on how bad the name actually is. I've gotten every single level down to a character deletion. If the name was bad enough you won't post it then you knew action would be taken at some point.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
it is a total JOKE and frankly they wonder why we get pissed off. Go read the thread on the oceania forum on the official shard. We even sent Mesanna the video feed of the char in the room for 15 hours without stopping and it is obvious as hell. Not to mention the other dozen or so videos of massive script running. We were live streaming him/her when the devs were at the last meet and greet yet still they do NOTHING.

Frankly all that 'actioned' stuff on the newsletter is probably absolute twaddle.

And stuff like this is exactly why some believe that UO is a cash cow for the staff, as well as EA...
I tend to believe as well, what other possible explanation can there be?

To quote McCarn, "To take no action, IS an action"

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And stuff like this is exactly why some believe that UO is a cash cow for the staff, as well as EA...
I tend to believe as well, what other possible explanation can there be?

To quote McCarn, "To take no action, IS an action"
They tossed the idea of Punkbuster which would have completely solved this but we all bucked that. If you look at it from both sides, if an answer is no longer required then that could open the door to regular players being banned for being faster at some actions than others. It could also open the door for malicious paging. If someone wanted your hunting spot and paged on you for scripting and the GMs were no longer satisfied with a reply you would have very little defense.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EJ may have a 1 strike you're out policy but for paying accounts their action depends on how bad the name actually is. I've gotten every single level down to a character deletion. If the name was bad enough you won't post it then you knew action would be taken at some point.
Realy!!

Reason i did not post it was because now i know it is racially towards asian people and I felt no reason to annoy any asian that may post or read stratics

But ok the name was GOOK To me gook was just dork /sillyperson but true google i found out that it can be used as a degrading name for asians

Yea sure i heard gooks on vietnam movies but i m sry I never made the connections just thought it was somthing like charlie or whatever

So realy is Gook so bad it deserves termination of the account?

OK so maybe it is still does not explain the total lack explanation or even wanting to talk to me so realy the customer service in on UO is just a dumb joke and before you say bla blabla your on an EJ acc i have been paying and playing for almost 20 years without a single strike i think i deserv to at least discuss it don't I

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So realy is Gook so bad it deserves termination of the account?

OK so maybe it is still does not explain the total lack explanation or even wanting to talk to me so realy the customer service in on UO is just a dumb joke and before you say bla blabla your on an EJ acc i have been paying and playing for almost 20 years without a single strike i think i deserv to at least discuss it don't I
That one is pretty self explanatory. That's bad. Real bad.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They tossed the idea of Punkbuster which would have completely solved this but we all bucked that. If you look at it from both sides, if an answer is no longer required then that could open the door to regular players being banned for being faster at some actions than others. It could also open the door for malicious paging. If someone wanted your hunting spot and paged on you for scripting and the GMs were no longer satisfied with a reply you would have very little defense.
No offence, but this Ocenia guy does not need Punkbuster. Just a GM doing his job.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I thought gook was a sticky, gooey liquid, same usage as gunk...I never heard of it being a racial slur, but then I'm in the UK so maybe we don't use it.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL. People are too wimpy nowdays.
In my life I've been called a gringo, a cracker, a mofo, sumbitch, and more. But I didnt need a safe spot afterwards.

Maybe UO and it's wide open system just isn't meant for everyone.'

And maybe the devs/gms just need to quit catering to the people who just wander around submitting names just to grief people.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The way I learned it,
rhyming with "book" it's the synonym for goop and gunk
rhyming with "Luke" it's the racial epithet

Funny thing. I'm of one of the ethnic groups to whom the racial epithet could be applied. I never heard the racial epithet when I was growing up. I first saw it as an adult, printed in a book, and wondered why someone was being called a sticky residue. My dad (a war veteran) told me of the different pronunciation.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
gook
/ɡuːk,ɡʊk/
noun
INFORMAL
noun: gook
  1. a sloppy wet or viscous substance.
    "all that gook she kept putting on her face"

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Everything gets you. lol. So negative all the time.
Give me one good reason to be positive...

The only one I have is that the game is still here but at this point it's becoming less and less enjoyable and playable due to the bugs you encounter continually...

Friends are what keep me here and a dream that one-day things will actually improve... but I don't see that happening... so I keep them to task... reminding them of what is broken and needs attention more than a stupid name of an EJ player. There are FAR more important things that they should be doing than that.

Once upon a time I loved this game so much I couldn't dream of ever playing anything else. Anymore playing this game serves only to irk me at the state that it's in... because I still love the game... I just can't stand to see it in its current state. So I vocalize my disgust in an effort to shame the DEVs into doing something to fix it.

What else can I do?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
gook
/ɡuːk,ɡʊk/
noun
INFORMAL
noun: gook
  1. a sloppy wet or viscous substance.
    "all that gook she kept putting on her face"
Ill keep using goop. For that definition and hand cleaner to remove grease and oil.
Works great!
upload_2019-7-28_14-8-47.png
Since 1949

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Friends are what keep me here
Me as well, but some of my friends are playing less and less, me me as well. The good news is that, the friends I have made in UO have become friends in REAL life. I visit a husband and wife I met in UO twice a year. We have a blast, eat well, go to the casinos, parties, and play (at) golf ( I suck at golf though! LOL) For Superbowl this past year another UO couple joined us and we had an AWESOME time!!! 2 years ago we had a group of 9 players all together.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's only one way for EA to take notice and take action. Quit.

It wouldn't surprise me if EA has absolutely zero interest in UO other than to count how much money was deposited every month from subscriptions.

If you want EA to get involved and reassess Broadswords actions and/or inaction then we need a good old fashioned strike. Mass quit.

All our stuff would be safe for 90 days. Get enough players to cancel their subscriptions and EA will notice. Unfortunately, few will quit. We've all just become numb to the pain and addicted to pixel crack.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We are currently preparing for our first TC1 release of our next publish, Forsaken Foes, which brings new equipment, some quality of life updates, and a continuation of our ongoing story arc! Keep an eye on UO.com for full release .

This quote troubles me. We have a load of issues from the last publish that ahvent been ironed out yet-namely Beacons firing on ships when the orcs are killed off.
And they are about to release to TC1 the next phase, which means they will be all busy dealing with that...
Should I just take it for granted beacons aren't gonna be fixed?