• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training Remove Trap

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I started to rework on my T Hunter. I bought 30 Remove Trap from NPC, I went out to find some chests in shame to disarm, the gaining processing is horribly slow.

Then I spent 100K gold to buy a slider trap kit. I gained about 2 point, then I cannot gain anymore by solving slider kit.

Is this 100K kit only let me gain 2 points ?

croy6325

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So I started to rework on my T Hunter. I bought 30 Remove Trap from NPC, I went out to find some chests in shame to disarm, the gaining processing is horribly slow.

Then I spent 100K gold to buy a slider trap kit. I gained about 2 point, then I cannot gain anymore by solving slider kit.

you can continue to gain, but honestly, just go dig up chests, you'll gain a few points per chest, just make sure you heal through the failed attempts

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

As croy said, go dig up some chests to train remove trap. I'd suggest starting with stash/supply chests to get used to how they work when removing trap (ancient guardian spawning + explosion). You will easily get to 50 RT. I was able to get from 29 to 50 last night pretty painlessly. From the posts of others you can get well into the 80's without much issue. You will also get some new loot as a perk.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep, after only doing about 30 stash/supply maps, I went from 33.3 (what I bought it up to) to 67.4 tonight, and the last 0.8 was 4 0.2 gains doing a Stash I'd gotten as loot off a Gargoyle from a Supply earlier in the night.

Absolutely NO reason to subject yourself to puzzle training, and you'll get stuff to boot.

So far (only doing my tram supply ans stash):
About 20 Alacrity scrolls
3 or 4 pinks
3 skeleton keys (without having to use a pick, since at GM Magery you're good up to Cache for unlock)
3 Mana Phase orbs
1 Forged Pardon
4 minor artifacts
1 +1 Glasses
1 Shield Engraving Tool
10+ Mysterious fragments (7 colors so far)
1 Surge Shield
1 Runed Sash
5 maps from chests (4 cache and 1 supply)
3 Stash maps from Supply chest spawn
well over a million gold just from the chests, plus the spawn gold and about 300k more selling gems
3 artifact level items (1 was a major artifact katana that was loot on a LICH from a supply chest)
And plenty of neat looking bags (gold, gems and reg bags - now if Tugsoft will update the code so I can use them with the UOAssist pickup and organize agents, I'll be happier).

I LIKE this kind of training....

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so this morning i begun training Remove Trap on my T-Hunter from Skillpoint 0 and I use an so new named "cache" map - old cleverly dawn map. My T-Hunter is Tamer and I use a Mare - and a second char for resurections. After above perhaps 20 deads and ca. 3 hours later - maybe a bit more the skill raises from 0 to 40 from this one chest before I finally could open it, but gives also greater gains so p.ex. up to 0.4 Skillpoints. I notice also the nearer you stand at the chest and go on triggering the skill is still gaining be spawning an ancient guardian. My Armor is not the best but every time if the guardians spawn you will loose Hits, so 70 each duty and a lot of Manaregen is very helpful to keep you survife. I think the best way to skill RT now is to go and make maps for the gains -works much better than using boxes or loocking around in the dungeons ;).

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can stand pretty far away (14 tiles iirc) once you started RT on the chest. Keep casting Greater Heal and Invis while your pet is parked at the chest. I died several times on my first chest but since then it's relatively easy. On the first chest I had 0 RT with the skill being locked. It removed the trap after a ton of guardians. All you have to do is survive. ;)

@OP: I bought 1 cylinder riddle box and gave up after I solved it once. There are simply way too many clicks and skill uses involved to make it worthwhile. If it had worked like the khaldun riddles, it might have worked but as it is implemented now .. nah .. just dig up chests. Way faster...

*edit* I just got from 46.6 to 48.1 on a single Stash map in Felucca.
*edit* 50.4 after another Cache map in Felucca.

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You can stand pretty far away (14 tiles iirc) once you started RT on the chest. Keep casting Greater Heal and Invis while your pet is parked at the chest. I died several times on my first chest but since then it's relatively easy. On the first chest I had 0 RT with the skill being locked. It removed the trap after a ton of guardians. All you have to do is survive. ;)
Just so everyone knows, it seems like you fail less to remove trap if you remove your gloves (this is how the skills was originally designed too).

North_LS

Journeyman
Just so everyone knows, it seems like you fail less to remove trap if you remove your gloves (this is how the skills was originally designed too).
hopefully the loot is calculated when the chest is dug up, not when its opened - losing the luck bonus from the gloves would be a downside to this if its generated on open.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hopefully the loot is calculated when the chest is dug up, not when its opened - losing the luck bonus from the gloves would be a downside to this if its generated on open.
Kyronix told me on TC that luck is factored in when the chest is dug and only the treasure hunter's luck is considered if you are in a party. Also note the language in the publish notes about how cartography affects the contents of the chest:

Chest Quality is determined at dig time based on the digger’s modified cartography skill.
  • Chests come in three qualities represented visually by a rusty chest, a metal chest, and a gold chest.
  • Chest quality can impact chest loot in a variety of ways including the quantity of a specific loot item, the range of bonuses, the type of crafting materials, and the intensity of randomly generated magic equipment.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Chest Quality is determined at dig time based on the digger’s modified cartography skill.

I posted about it here (Legendary Mapmaker's Glasses (skill stacking) ) but basically it seems like the stacking of Carto above GM isn't working at the moment. I'd be interested to see the impacts of 101-105 cartography on chest quality (rusty/metal/gold).

Apologies as these are kind of partial results because I wasn't tracking all details when I started jotting down how many gold chests but what I've found so far is that when I've dug up stash or supply with 100 carto & 2500 luck they have all been gold chests. I've dug up 5 cache maps (I think 3 at 3500 and 2 at 2500) and I got 4 gold chests and 1 metal chest. I've dug up 3 hoard chests (all 2500 luck) and I got 1 gold chest (very first chest I dug up after release), 1 metal chest, and surprisingly 1 rusty chest.

It looks like there is some kind of calculation done that definitely takes your Carto into consideration when digging different levels of chests (maybe luck does too). That being said, based on the language of it
Chest quality can impact chest loot in a variety of ways
it doesn't seem like chest quality will absolutely impact loot. As many others have said before, I've gotten lots of junk in just about every gold chests I've dug up so far and by comparison that 1 rusty chest I dug up wasn't far off from the items I've had in gold or metal chests.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I posted about it here (Legendary Mapmaker's Glasses (skill stacking) ) but basically it seems like the stacking of Carto above GM isn't working at the moment. I'd be interested to see the impacts of 101-105 cartography on chest quality (rusty/metal/gold).

Apologies as these are kind of partial results because I wasn't tracking all details when I started jotting down how many gold chests but what I've found so far is that when I've dug up stash or supply with 100 carto & 2500 luck they have all been gold chests. I've dug up 5 cache maps (I think 3 at 3500 and 2 at 2500) and I got 4 gold chests and 1 metal chest. I've dug up 3 hoard chests (all 2500 luck) and I got 1 gold chest (very first chest I dug up after release), 1 metal chest, and surprisingly 1 rusty chest.

It looks like there is some kind of calculation done that definitely takes your Carto into consideration when digging different levels of chests (maybe luck does too). That being said, based on the language of it

it doesn't seem like chest quality will absolutely impact loot. As many others have said before, I've gotten lots of junk in just about every gold chests I've dug up so far and by comparison that 1 rusty chest I dug up wasn't far off from the items I've had in gold or metal chests.
I got a few rusty supply and cache chests last night after I started using the +1 legendary mapmaker's glasses. Hadn't gotten any on the ones I did before using the glasses. Granted, the t-hunter's cartography normally is only at 94.5, so maybe that +1 or even using the glasses at all put more RNG into the calculation of the chest quality.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I got a few rusty supply and cache chests last night after I started using the +1 legendary mapmaker's glasses. Hadn't gotten any on the ones I did before using the glasses. Granted, the t-hunter's cartography normally is only at 94.5, so maybe that +1 or even using the glasses at all put more RNG into the calculation of the chest quality.
Interesting because I think I might have had the glasses on when I got the rusty chest just to test if I'd get a gold one (hoard) thinking maybe even though it didn't show 100+ carto that maybe it still gave me credit (it might have been the metal one that came up though can't remember).

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like dungeon crawling and slider trap games, that is why I tried to train RT through these two ways. I thought the slider trap game could train the skill to about 70. Anyway, forget it. I will go back to dig the chests.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It looks to me as if the number of explosions you will get per chest varies as follows, depending on your remove trap skill, and of course subject to the RNG so at higher skill levels maybe you'll get an extra explosion just for grins.

Remove Trap skill in the 30s: Six explosions
Remove Trap skill in the 40s: Five explosions
Remove Trap skill in the 50s: Four explosions
Remove Trap skill in the 60s: Three explosions
Remove Trap skill in the 70s: Two explosions
Remove Trap skill in the 80s: One explosion
Remove Trap skill in the 90s: None or one explosion

It also seems like sometimes if the ancient chest guardian from a previous explosion is still breathing when the next explosion happens, another one doesn't always spawn. So you can sometimes have more explosions than ancient chest guardians for a chest.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
It looks to me as if the number of explosions you will get per chest varies as follows, depending on your remove trap skill, and of course subject to the RNG so at higher skill levels maybe you'll get an extra explosion just for grins.

Remove Trap skill in the 30s: Six explosions
Remove Trap skill in the 40s: Five explosions
Remove Trap skill in the 50s: Four explosions
Remove Trap skill in the 60s: Three explosions
Remove Trap skill in the 70s: Two explosions
Remove Trap skill in the 80s: One explosion
Remove Trap skill in the 90s: None or one explosion

It also seems like sometimes if the ancient chest guardian from a previous explosion is still breathing when the next explosion happens, another one doesn't always spawn. So you can sometimes have more explosions than ancient chest guardians for a chest.
Soo..I guess with every explosion, you receive anywhere from 35-70 damage or some damage far as I have seen, to the player.
Soo..Your precious LUCK suit, that you spent a week or more reforging and imbuing, expensive and all, takes damage with each explosion, each time wearing down a little bit? I will check and see how much damage it is accumulating. This could mean different serious damage for different pieces, esp. since most of us mortals wear luck suites that cannot be POF'ed, and just keep losing durability. And for the loot we are getting, we may be just wearing down valued luck armor, but we are having fun..

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Soo..I guess with every explosion, you receive anywhere from 35-70 damage or some damage far as I have seen, to the player.
Soo..Your precious LUCK suit, that you spent a week or more reforging and imbuing, expensive and all, takes damage with each explosion, each time wearing down a little bit? I will check and see how much damage it is accumulating. This could mean different serious damage for different pieces, esp. since most of us mortals wear luck suites that cannot be POF'ed, and just keep losing durability. And for the loot we are getting, we may be just wearing down valued luck armor, but we are having fun..
I have gotten the impression Kyronix will take any chance he can get to make stuff wear out.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have just finished training remove trap on my Sonoma treasure hunter. I stopped using tinker-trapped chests when the publish went world-wide and switched to digging up treasure chests to finish her training. The boring details are in this post: GJ on T Hunting update!!! . I mostly stuck to stash and supply chests to confirm a hunch I had that they would indeed carry her through to GM instead of having to resort to higher-level chests. If I've counted correctly, it took 84 chests to get from 95.4 to 100. I spread those out over a couple of days and found that taking breaks after doing 4 or 5 chests was a good thing to do.

Along the way to completing those 84 chests, my t-hunter collected about 2 million gold; 27 alacrity scrolls and 5 or 6 transcendence scrolls; 10 recipe scrolls; a +1 and a +5 pair of mapmaker's glasses; some ML ingredients; some ingots, boards, leather, refinement components, and reagents; one skull gnarled staff and one skull longsword (cursed); two "artifacts" (enchanted titan leg bone and H.M.S. Cape ship model); 2 surge shields, 2 runed sashes of warding, and one mana phasing orb; 5 shield engraving tools, one master skeleton key, 8 skeleton keys, and a couple of pet treats; a few cache and supply level maps (5-10, I lost track); lots of gems; and 34 mysterious fragments (7 colors, but no yellow). I didn't really focus on doing any particular theme of chest or a particular facet, was more interested in the levels. Kept maybe 2 pieces of jewelry and 2 pieces of armor and unravelled everything else. Cleanup points for the 84 completed maps totalled 9140.

My Sonoma t-hunter's suit only has 740 luck, so I wasn't expecting much out of the loot. I am just glad to get the training done and to know getting to GM doesn't mean having to do cache or higher chests. It may have been just as fast at the level she was at to get to GM by continuing to disarm tinkered traps. However, she wouldn't have had anything else to show for it plus would have used up ingots and bolts.
mysterious fragments on sonoma.jpg

Last edited:

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I digged a stash yesterday and a supply today. The traps kept me more busy than before. A combo of explosion+poison+guardians killed the toon one time. I didn’t start playing the hoard maps.

It would be nice if the training kit can let the toon gain skills to 70.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I stopped using tinker-trapped chests when the publish went world-wide and switched to digging up treasure chests to finish her training. I mostly stuck to stash and supply chests to confirm a hunch I had that they would indeed carry her through to GM instead of having to resort to higher-level chests.
Thank you, Tina. That's what I figured as well, though I'm not such a fast treasure digger. Doing the old tinkered chest system, my skill was at 95.1 when the publish went live on Drachenfels. By now, I've raised it to 96.0 with 10 to 15 stashes approximately. It's an excellent way to skill up a character.
I've said it before... In my opinion, the treasure hunting experience in its entirety is greatly improved.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I used 2 remove trap blues, did several treasure chests from supply to trove and got my t-hunter to 70. Then i burned 30 of the 35 points in remove trap pinks I had laying around from pestering Corgul so much.
It was a very fast process.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Nope - the damage goes down as RT goes up.

With the same resists, the map levels that were doing damage 30-35 in the 30s Remove Trap skill range were only doing 15-17 once I hit the 70s, and you could see the damage going down every so often, as the skill improved. So both the instances of damage and the damage itself decrease.

Also, unless it's different for higher levels, having the spawn survive from one damage pulse past the next pulse prevents a new spawn every time. On Supply maps, this typically only happens with an Ogre Lord based ancient spawn.
Also, if the spawn lasts past the point where the RT should have finished, you get the old message about not being able to loot until the spawn is dead - and once the spawn dies you have to RT it again (but only for one pulse, for no damage or spawn), and you can get single or double skill gains on the pulse that the chest actually de-traps.

North_LS

Journeyman
if the loot contents are generated at dig time, no harm in changing to a regular suit prior to untrapping. not sure if this has been confirmed though. I can understand the concern though, having spent many hours this weekend making thousand(s) of exceptional pieces to get *just* the right resists then not getting the reforge results i wanted. finished up the last piece this morning!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if the loot contents are generated at dig time, no harm in changing to a regular suit prior to untrapping. not sure if this has been confirmed though. I can understand the concern though, having spent many hours this weekend making thousand(s) of exceptional pieces to get *just* the right resists then not getting the reforge results i wanted. finished up the last piece this morning!
If you are accustomed to looting the mobs that spawn as you loot the chest, maybe you could experiment with switching back to the luck suit after the chest is successfully disarmed to see if affects their loot.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used the circuit puzzle trainer to do some remove trap training on one of my treasure hunters.

From 0 to 74.9 remove trap skill, the circuit puzzle is only 3x3 in size. It changes to 4x4 at 75.00 remove trap skill. It took 337 completed circuit trap puzzles to get from 0 to 75 remove trap training; 289 to go from 33.3 to 75.0. (I didn't keep track of the false starts, but there really aren't all that many with the 3x3 puzzles.)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
It is a serious painful, expensive BORING grind making these suits..

TheGhostRaider

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I train from 30 to 75 on the 3x3 circuit box and it was quick. Now that I'm on the 4x4, it a pain since I have found over 106 configuration . Anyone know how many configuration is possible.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I train from 30 to 75 on the 3x3 circuit box and it was quick. Now that I'm on the 4x4, it a pain since I have found over 106 configuration . Anyone know how many configuration is possible.
It took 87 successful completions of mostly 4x4 circuit puzzles (and a few slider puzzles) to get from 75 to 80. I'm now going to switch to digging up stash and supply chests, since at 80 remove trap I think there should usually only be one or sometimes two explosions per chest . It's gotta go faster than the 4x4 circuit puzzles.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just trained remove trap to 75.0 using the circuit puzzle trainer on a second shard. It took 300 successfully completed puzzles to get from 33.0 to 75.0 That's very close to the 289 that it took on the first shard. Sure beats disarming tinkered traps. Now it's on to disarming traps on treasure chests to eventually get to GM.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just tried the slider trap again, it's strange that the toon gained none after completion of 5 puzzles, his RT is still at 49.9. Anyway, I already went straight to dig the hoarded maps today. The process was quite busy and the Guardians got me red lined, but it is manageable by using other skills. So, there is no need to train RT.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Up to 86 RT after buying it to 33.3 in moonglow bank, and doing about 60 supply (mostly) and stash maps. I'm going to finish up the rest of my stash and supply (I started with about 100 mostly supply (did almost all my level ones before the publish), and have gotten about 10 more from chest spawn and stash chests) and see how high I get.