• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Merits of Remove Trap?

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just returned from a month away and hit the ground running with the new changes, always loved T-Hunting so got straight into it after reading up on as much as I could.

One thing I picked up on was that Traps were being removed with 0 Remove Trap skill so I played around with it a bit (I happened to train Remove Trap up to GM before I went away so I would be in good standing when I returned).
So I could better understand the benefits of RT I ran about 15-20 Horde/Trove maps (Mixed Facets) both with and without Remove Trap (Character is human so I assume 20 skill at 0 with JOAT).

I found the following:

Without RT skill (JOAT).
I was taking a bit more damage from the 'attempt' ticks, easily countered by pre-casting GH, the ticks seem to be at regular intervals. I was getting between 1-6 Ancient Guardians spawn, again easily counterd by pre-casting Invis when no mobs are up and setting pet on them when they spawn then heal as before.

With RT skill.
Take less damage from 'attempt' ticks but still have to heal regardless. Was getting between 0-4 Ancient Guardians, again pre-cast invis when no mobs up then heal as before.
I tried with and without gloves on and I noticed no particular difference was getting as many failures either way.

In terms of time spent, probably takes a minute or 2 longer without RT which is not the end of the world. Quite frankly I'm probably saving that time on the digging up process because I never used Mining before, now I get it for free and find the chest almost instantly.

So what is the incentive to have GM RT, cos I'm just not feeling it?

Surely RT should work in the same way as Lockpicking, If you don't have enough skill you simply can not do it or the damage should be proportional to your skill, too low and the trap should just outright kill you. On one occasion I removed the trap on a Trove Chest with 0 RT skill on about the second attempt! that's just not right in my opinion.

This is by no means a whine, I'm loving the changes but RT just seems underwhelming to the point of just not bothering with it. Or have I missed some fine detail?

For the curious my template is:

Taming 120
Lore 110
Vet 99 (Cracking Legendary 150 Luck ring that happens to have +9 Vet)
Mage 100
Carto 100
LockPick 100
Resist 100 (Traded this out for RT but reverted now)

I use a AI/Chiv Firesteed (my weapon of choice). All chest levels are a walk in the park with Renegade Changlings being the only pain in the ass!

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
In terms of time spent, probably takes a minute or 2 longer without RT which is not the end of the world. Quite frankly I'm probably saving that time on the digging up process because I never used Mining before, now I get it for free and find the chest almost instantly.

So what is the incentive to have GM RT, cos I'm just not feeling it?

Surely RT should work in the same way as Lockpicking, If you don't have enough skill you simply can not do it or the damage should be proportional to your skill, too low and the trap should just outright kill you. On one occasion I removed the trap on a Trove Chest with 0 RT skill on about the second attempt! that's just not right in my opinion.

This is by no means a whine, I'm loving the changes but RT just seems underwhelming to the point of just not bothering with it. Or have I missed some fine detail?
Not needing a skilled remove trap was a compromise for those who had templates that they felt couldn't afford remove trap. In exchange, you have to undergo the gauntlets of mobs, which can be 1 potential mob and damage to everyone within 16 tiles every 10 seconds for 90 seconds.

The compromise is, particularly with lower level chests, you can bang them out much faster with higher remove trap.

Not everyone can play like you. Some people due to connection, computer, physical limitations, general ability or template cannot deal with the "gauntlet" for 90 seconds. So remove trap is beneficial for them and again they can do the lower level maps much easier and faster.

For the record, I run 0 remove trap and do Trove chests solo. I find I dont need remove trap, but the low levels are more time consuming as a result.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That's understandable it being a compromise given not everyone plays the same, guess I was looking for a confirmation on how RT was implemented was intentional.
I seem to recall on initial discussions that RT fails would destroy items or give extra bonuses but read/saw no evidence of those things happening, I guess those thoughts were quickly put to bed!

Certainly no complaints from me, save a tonne of time looting the chests now, takes all of a minute to sift through items rather than 10 minutes to sift through 80 odd before!

bourne

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Not needing a skilled remove trap was a compromise for those who had templates that they felt couldn't afford remove trap. In exchange, you have to undergo the gauntlets of mobs, which can be 1 potential mob and damage to everyone within 16 tiles every 10 seconds for 90 seconds.

The compromise is, particularly with lower level chests, you can bang them out much faster with higher remove trap.

Not everyone can play like you. Some people due to connection, computer, physical limitations, general ability or template cannot deal with the "gauntlet" for 90 seconds. So remove trap is beneficial for them and again they can do the lower level maps much easier and faster.

For the record, I run 0 remove trap and do Trove chests solo. I find I dont need remove trap, but the low levels are more time consuming as a result.
@Khaelor Do you have new T-hunting info on the cah website yet? (I know it is early). Ty always..

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought Trove chests was suppsed to spawn a boss. "Allosaurus, Corgul the Soulbinder, Scalis the Enforcer,The Great Ape, Tyrannosaurus Rex".
Treasure Maps – Ultima Online

Is that not the case or do you actually solo these mobs on your treasurehunter?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Khaelor Do you have new T-hunting info on the cah website yet? (I know it is early). Ty always..
We have a page we are working on, but it's not an in depth guide.

I thought Trove chests was suppsed to spawn a boss. "Allosaurus, Corgul the Soulbinder, Scalis the Enforcer,The Great Ape, Tyrannosaurus Rex".
Treasure Maps – Ultima Online

Is that not the case or do you actually solo these mobs on your treasurehunter?

Those are the mobs that drop the trove maps.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As a side note, not starting a new thread for it, but...

Just occurred to me, probably done around 60+ maps now. Not seen a single Forged Pardon, Mana Phasing Orb or even a Minor Arti. Probably others but those come immediately to mind.

They still spawn in chests?

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I cant answer your question but ive done roughly 30 maps and i havt seen any of the items you mentioned either. On top of that i have not recived a single skeleton key.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Just occurred to me, probably done around 60+ maps now. Not seen a single Forged Pardon, Mana Phasing Orb or even a Minor Arti. Probably others but those come immediately to mind.

What level are you doing?

From what I know (might have been changed at some point, idk 100%), they spread the items way further. Some are straight cut from finding on high level maps and you can only find them on lower level maps. I suppose Orbs and pardons are among them? It was their desperate attempt to make all levels attractive. IIRC initially you didnt even found SoT or SoA in the new high level chests, but Kyronix added them again. Other items I guess they forgot to put back.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
all 30 maps i have done is the old igeniously drawn maps(lvl5) now called Hoard. So the next highest level.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Those items are in Supply level chests.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Those items are in Supply level chests.
@Tina Small is right. Pretty much all of your non weapons/armor/jewelry type stuff will come from "Supply" chest. The only thing I've consistently received for all map levels is the deed looking loot (more maps/SoA/SoT/PS) but you will also see the new decorative items in Cache and above chests. All the other items will be in Stash (reagent bags) / Supply.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
One of the pages we have done regarding treasure hunting is a list of all possible drops you can select from and it will tell you what maps you need to do to acquire those items, it should be available later today. It is a work in progress but has most drops

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What level are you doing?

From what I know (might have been changed at some point, idk 100%), they spread the items way further. Some are straight cut from finding on high level maps and you can only find them on lower level maps. I suppose Orbs and pardons are among them? It was their desperate attempt to make all levels attractive. IIRC initially you didnt even found SoT or SoA in the new high level chests, but Kyronix added them again. Other items I guess they forgot to put back.
Only being doing Hoard and whenever I get them Troves, guess that's the issue. Just had another look at the patch notes, I missed the fine detail of what level items spawn in, I just assumed higher level would produce a greater range of the goods which is not the case.

Guess there is incentive to farm other things for maps other than Miasma now! :D

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Yep - and all from Supply (level 2) maps. Of about 40 level 1 & 2 maps: 3-4 minor arties, 2 or 3 orbs, and 1 forged pardon. Also a surge shield, and one of those stupid warding sashes.