• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Tmapping I want to know!!

jrok512

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello,
Haven't really been on test shard yet, well i use a while back had issues digging one up and stopped. I wanted to know what do i need for a build to do maps. Do we still need luck? and where is this going??? Like is it all faucets soon or what? Anyone willing to give me any information or a link would be greatly appreciated. I mean a link in stratics to discussion on this subject already.
Thanks

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hello,
Haven't really been on test shard yet, well i use a while back had issues digging one up and stopped. I wanted to know what do i need for a build to do maps. Do we still need luck? and where is this going??? Like is it all faucets soon or what? Anyone willing to give me any information or a link would be greatly appreciated. I mean a link in stratics to discussion on this subject already.
Thanks
You are a bit behind! :D

There has been an exhausting amount of discussion on the topic here: [bcolor=rgb(16, 16, 16)]https://stratics.com/threads/new-changes-with-t-hunting-are-on-test-center.409680/[/bcolor]

Also here (for builds): Post your favorite Thunter Template...

Honestly the UO release notes will give you the definite answers of what is going in. There is a lot to read through about this (and some questions like "is the loot better?" is up for debate for some) so I'll give a very quick summary:
  • Biggest change to T-Hunting is the way you do it now. You no longer need mining at all but you MUST have Carto and you MUST use Remove Trap skill on chests to open (don't actually need points in the skill but it will help on successfully removing the trap faster).
  • Luck apparently "still" impacts loot but this is where it depends on who you talk to. I haven't noticed a substantial difference between no luck and very high luck but that could be chalked up to RNG.
  • Not sure what you really mean by "where is this going" but it is part of the Forgotten Treasure arc. While the changes to T-Hunting will be permanent there are likely other things that will be going in for treasure hunting that may not but there hasn't been much news about that; it's primarily been about testing the T-hunting revamp the past couple months.
  • All facets will have maps available (much like it was but now Eodon will have maps).
I'd suggest doing some investigating and coming back with more specific questions though because simply asking "what's new" could take hours to answer.

Hope this helps.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
LOL..And one of the changes now is that you need to do PUZZLES!!! Three different types to get the treasure. Looks like they are random, and one puzzle per treasure. You need to solve the puzzles, and while you are doing that you will need to deal with guardians from the treasure. A "nice extra"..Enjoy!!:devil:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
LOL..And one of the changes now is that you need to do PUZZLES!!! Three different types to get the treasure. Looks like they are random, and one puzzle per treasure. You need to solve the puzzles, and while you are doing that you will need to deal with guardians from the treasure. A "nice extra"..Enjoy!!:devil:
Also not 100% sure but they made it sound that you need Carto, Remove trap, and lockpicking, so 300 skill points, at least to do the last 2 levels of chests. (I hope I am wrong here, and that I misread their info!)

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Puzzles are no longer part of the Remove Trap process when doing t-chests. You can buy the 3 different puzzle boxes from the vendor in Moonglow that will allow you to train Remove Trap. I have done a few maps on Origin (only got the quest ones since that's not my home shard). You use RT on the chest, if you fail you get an ancient guardian that spawns that you have to kill. The lower your RT is the longer it takes and the more guardians you get.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The puzzle scenario went out the window. It's gone.

What we got instead is defeating a series of lootless monsters if you have less than GM remove trap skill (and sometimes one even if you do have GM remove trap). Here's the process now:

1. Decipher the map.
  2. Go find the chest and dig it up. Mining skill is no longer needed, your cartography skill is what helps you find the chest and also determines the quality of the chest you dig up. There are legendary mapmaker glasses that can give a +1 to +5 bonus to cartography to raise your cartography skill. The chest you dig up may be rusty, normal, or gold.
  3. Kill the monsters that spawn with the chest.
  4. Pick the lock on the chest with lockpicking. (Cannot use Unlock spell anymore.) If you fail, a grubber may spawn and steal something from the chest.
  5. Don't try to use telekinesis spell or click on the chest to disarm the trap. Instead, no matter what your actual remove trap skill is, you "use" the remove trap skill and start the process of disarming the trap. How long the process takes is dependent on your RT skill. If it's GM, you may only have to wait a second or two to get the message that the trap has been disarmed. However, if not, an "ancient chest guardian" will spawn and you'll get a message that the trap jammed. You have to kill the ancient chest guardian and then start the disarm process again by using the RT skill again. The ancient chest guardians carry no loot and their corpses vanish very quickly. Note that you won't have to have detect hidden skill (or lockpicking skill) to be able to use remove trap skill after the publish hits.
  6. Repeat step 5 as necessary until the trap is successfully disarmed.
  7. Open the chest and loot it. Monsters may spawn as you loot it, same as they always have. How much loot is in the chest and what it consists of is determined by the theme and level of the map.
There are five themes: Artisan, Assassin, Mage, Ranger, and Warrior. There are five levels of maps now: Stash (formerly plainly drawn maps); Supply (formerly expertly and adeptly drawn maps); Cache (formerly cleverly and deviously drawn maps); Horde (formerly ingeniously drawn maps); and Trove (formerly diabolically drawn maps).

Last edited:

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also very useful updated info here:
Treasure Maps – Ultima Online

In particular, it shows which mobs drop which level maps, and more importantly, which kind of guardians spawn on each facet and level. This means you can look up their slayer and elemental vulnerabilities, and decide which gear, spells, and skills to go for before modifying or creating your t-hunter.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are trying to find a specific kind of randomly generated magical item from treasure chests, below is a brief breakdown of what sort of armor, weapons, and shields are associated with each theme. Note that some items may be missing just because I haven't come across them yet or seen anyone else post them as being from a specific type of chest. Also note that some items seem to be specific to certain facets, e.g., gargish glasses in Ter Mur, bokutos and samurai or ninja armor in Tokuno, whips in Eodon, etc. From what I understand, Ilshenar maps can be a good possibility if you're looking for properties you'd normally only find from Ter Mur treasure chests.

ARTISAN
Armor: Cloth hats, including flower garlands but excluding bandanas, tricorne hats, and wizard hats; elven and gargish glasses; circlets, gemmed circlets, royal circlets.
Weapons: Axes, hammer picks, hatchets, pickaxes, smith's hammers, sledgehammers, war hammers.
Shields: None.

ASSASSIN
Armor: Bandanas; leather samurai armor; leather ninja armor; chainmail armor; ringmail armor.
Weapons: Assassin spikes, bone harvester, cleavers, cutlasses, daggers, double bladed staffs, elven machetes, elven spellblades, kamas, katanas, krysses and gargish krysses, leafblades, rune blades, scythes, tekagi and gargish tekagi, whips.

MAGE
Armor: Wizard's hats, bone helmets, gargish cloth armor, leaf armor, leather armor. (Note: I am guessing other pieces of bone armor spawn in mage chests, but am not sure about this. Also, there seems to be a possibility that at some point Mage chests dug up in Ter Mur might include cloth wing armor which has properties on it.)
Weapons: Black staffs, crooks, glass staffs, gnarled staffs and gargish gnarled staffs, quarter staffs, scepters, serpentstone staffs, wild staffs. (Note: Most of the time, these weapons do not have spell channeling as a property.)

RANGER
Armor: Gargish leather armor, hide armor, studded leather armor, studded leather samurai armor, wooden armor. (Note: There seems to be a possibility that at some point Ranger chests dug up in Ter Mur might include leather wing armor which has properties on it.)
Weapons: Bows, composite bows, crossbows, elven composite longbows, heavy crossbows, magical shortbows, yumis, butcher knives, skinning knives, boomerangs, cyclones, soul glaives.

WARRIOR
Armor: Tricorne hats, metal helmets, dragon scale armor, platemail and gargish platemail armor, platemail samurai armor, stone armor.
Weapons: Bardiches, bloodblade, bokutos, broadswords, clubs, disc maces, gargish daisho, gargish talwars, halberds, longswords, maces, mauls, pikes, pitchforks, scimitars, short spears, viking swords, war forks, war maces, stone war swords.
Shields: Yes.

Last edited:

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The puzzle scenario went out the window. It's gone.

What we got instead is defeating a series of lootless monsters if you have less than GM remove trap skill (and sometimes one even if you do have GM remove trap). Here's the process now:

1. Decipher the map.
  2. Go find the chest and dig it up. Mining skill is no longer needed, your cartography skill is what helps you find the chest and also determines the quality of the chest you dig up. There are legendary mapmaker glasses that can give a +1 to +5 bonus to cartography to raise your cartography skill. The chest you dig up may be rusty, normal, or gold.
  3. Kill the monsters that spawn with the chest.
  4. Pick the lock on the chest with lockpicking. (Cannot use Unlock spell anymore.) If you fail, a grubber may spawn and steal something from the chest.
  5. Don't try to use telekinesis spell or click on the chest to disarm the trap. Instead, no matter what your actual remove trap skill is, you "use" the remove trap skill and start the process of disarming the trap. How long the process takes is dependent on your RT skill. If it's GM, you may only have to wait a second or two to get the message that the trap has been disarmed. However, if not, an "ancient chest guardian" will spawn and you'll get a message that the trap jammed. You have to kill the ancient chest guardian and then start the disarm process again by using the RT skill again. The ancient chest guardians carry no loot and their corpses vanish very quickly. Note that you won't have to have detect hidden skill (or lockpicking skill) to be able to use remove trap skill after the publish hits.
  6. Repeat step 5 as necessary until the trap is successfully disarmed.
  7. Open the chest and loot it. Monsters may spawn as you loot it, same as they always have. How much loot is in the chest and what it consists of is determined by the theme and level of the map.
There are five themes: Artisan, Assassin, Mage, Ranger, and Warrior. There are five levels of maps now: Stash (formerly plainly drawn maps); Supply (formerly expertly and adeptly drawn maps); Cache (formerly cleverly and deviously drawn maps); Horde (formerly ingeniously drawn maps); and Trove (formerly diabolically drawn maps).
Thanks for the write-up, this helps a lot. It looks like they took quite a bit of our feedback! I'm glad to see they got rid of the 16 tile sitting duck zone while killing the ancient guardians, that would have been a royal pain for my poor hunters. :)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the write-up, this helps a lot. It looks like they took quite a bit of our feedback! I'm glad to see they got rid of the 16 tile sitting duck zone while killing the ancient guardians, that would have been a royal pain for my poor hunters. :)
I think it may still be there, I just didn't mention it. I've been using a character with GM remove trap skill on Origin, so she only gets an ancient chest guardian once in a while. Even so, after killing it, she always has to use remove trap skill and start the disarm process again.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, my noob t-hunter there only had 30ish RT and when I used RT on the chest, it spawned the Ancient Guardian, killed it and another spawned (4 or 5 times in a row) until the trap was removed and I didn't restart the process. You had the same experience I had on TC though with GM RT. I had to restart the process every time I failed. BTW if anyone on Origin has some spare Level 1 or 2 maps that they'd like to donate for my testing yell for Salvatore in Gen Chat :)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, my noob t-hunter there only had 30ish RT and when I used RT on the chest, it spawned the Ancient Guardian, killed it and another spawned (4 or 5 times in a row) until the trap was removed and I didn't restart the process. You had the same experience I had on TC though with GM RT. I had to restart the process every time I failed. BTW if anyone on Origin has some spare Level 1 or 2 maps that they'd like to donate for my testing yell for Salvatore in Gen Chat :)
Aha...I saw you in chat yesterday. I'll round up some maps for you.

Ivory Norwind

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But if i don't have RT and I try to open the chest what happens? Maybe I die but if not i can to try to open the chest without RT again? I'll finally open the chest? Another thing. The maps that I have now will work with the new release?
Tia :)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But if i don't have RT and I try to open the chest what happens? Maybe I die but if not i can to try to open the chest without RT again? I'll finally open the chest? Another thing. The maps that I have now will work with the new release?
Tia :)
@Ivory Norwind

If you do not have any Remove Trap, you can still try to Remove the Trap only, for every fail, some Ancient Chest Guardians (separate from the regular Chest Guardians) will spawn and you will FIRST have to kill them before you can go back to try removing the trap. These special Remove Trap Guardians have no loot.

Keep in mind that, if you die or run too far then 16 tiles from the Chest, you will need to start the Remove Trap process all over again....

The higher Remove Trap that you have, the LESS Ancient Chest Guardians will spawn in case you fail to Remove the Trap.

Basically, it is a compromise to compensate those players making the sacrifice to put Remove Trap skill points on their template by giving them LESS Ancient Chest Guardians to spawn in case that they fail in removing the trap.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Puzzles are no longer part of the Remove Trap process when doing t-chests. You can buy the 3 different puzzle boxes from the vendor in Moonglow that will allow you to train Remove Trap. I have done a few maps on Origin (only got the quest ones since that's not my home shard). You use RT on the chest, if you fail you get an ancient guardian that spawns that you have to kill. The lower your RT is the longer it takes and the more guardians you get.
Good news! Ty for info..

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's a screenshot of what you might get if your attempt to use the remove trap skill fails and an ancient chest guardian spawns. See the big message in red? And the chest guardians are blue and cause some fire damage when they spawn. (Note: The fire damage seems to have been toned down a bit from what it was earlier in the testing, at least at this level. This was a supply chest.)
ancient chest guardian and jammed mechanism message.jpg

After this guy died, I tried to open the chest and had to use remove trap skill again. This second time the attempt was successful. (My t-hunter on Origin has GM remove trap skill but even so she occasionally has to defeat an ancient chest guardian.)
second trap removal attempt after chest guardian died.jpg

ADDED: Just tried a cache chest and even with GM remove trap skill got two ancient chest guardians.
cache level ancient guardians with gm rt skill.jpg

And just did a second cache chest and got two ancient chest guardians on it too. Streaky RNG or is this just the way it's going to be, i.e., you get ancient chest guardians even if you did the work of training up remove trap? Who knows at this point. It would be interesting to know how many of them you get with 0 remove trap skill on a cache or higher level chest.

Attachments

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Here's a screenshot of what you might get if your attempt to use the remove trap skill fails and an ancient chest guardian spawns. See the big message in red? And the chest guardians are blue and cause some fire damage when they spawn. (Note: The fire damage seems to have been toned down a bit from what it was earlier in the testing, at least at this level. This was a supply chest.)
View attachment 98895

After this guy died, I tried to open the chest and had to use remove trap skill again. This second time the attempt was successful. (My t-hunter on Origin has GM remove trap skill but even so she occasionally has to defeat an ancient chest guardian.)
View attachment 98896

ADDED: Just tried a cache chest and even with GM remove trap skill got two ancient chest guardians.
View attachment 98897

And just did a second cache chest and got two ancient chest guardians on it too. Streaky RNG or is this just the way it's going to be, i.e., you get ancient chest guardians even if you did the work of training up remove trap? Who knows at this point. It would be interesting to know how many of them you get with 0 remove trap skill on a cache or higher level chest.
@Tina Small - I read on UOGuide (when prepping to train RT) something about not wearing gloves when using remove trap (to allow better manipulation of the trap). Do you know (or anyone else) if wearing gloves while using the skill will cause more failures or is this only for training or is this even relevant anymore (maybe this was old info)?

Has anyone tested wearing gloves vs not wearing gloves and had consistent results?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Tina Small - I read on UOGuide (when prepping to train RT) something about not wearing gloves when using remove trap (to allow better manipulation of the trap). Do you know (or anyone else) if wearing gloves while using the skill will cause more failures or is this only for training or is this even relevant anymore (maybe this was old info)?

Has anyone tested wearing gloves vs not wearing gloves and had consistent results?
That's a good point. Will have to see if it makes any difference.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This definitely needs more testing, but so far it's helping to prevent ancient chest guardians when you have GM Remove Trap.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Tina Small - Taking off the gloves while doing a chest (at GM RT) creates less failures (ie ancient guardians)?
It seems like it's making a difference, but I don't think there's any way to know for sure. I still get ancient chest guardians on most chests that are supply level or higher.

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was a formerly level 6 fel map .Metal chest with 3500 to 3600 or so luck