• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Spotty internet..Any one else sees this with their ISP?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Last two days, Every 5-10 minutes of play I get this client crash error:

"An error has occurred in the synchronization between the login servers and this world. Please close your client and try again."

This is likely due to brief internet outages -- lasting 1-4 minutes it looks --
Happens while using other on line database type programs also not just UO.
I will have do do a little search to figure this out. Any suggestions appreciated.

I do not this relates to UO client or server. Its just the ISP signal going off. Could it be the modem?
Ty in advance.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last two days, Every 5-10 minutes of play I get this client crash error:

"An error has occurred in the synchronization between the login servers and this world. Please close your client and try again."

This is likely due to brief internet outages -- lasting 1-4 minutes it looks --
Happens while using other on line database type programs also not just UO.
I will have do do a little search to figure this out. Any suggestions appreciated.

I do not this relates to UO client or server. Its just the ISP signal going off. Could it be the modem?
Ty in advance.
Could it be related to this? Google Disruptions Affect Gmail, YouTube and Other Sites One of the affected services listed was Discord.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you connecting wirelessly? If you are, you might want to research what can cause wireless interference and figure out if there's something new between your router and computer that could be periodically emitting a signal that's interfering with your wireless network connection. If your router is old, maybe it needs to be replaced?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sometimes if you use cable it's good to unscrew the input cable from the Modem and clean it and screw it back in... sometimes it builds up some corrosion... so they tell me.

But my ISP is pretty decent can't complain.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Is your Modem a Dinosaur? That what one Tech told us when we had problems, your modem is a dinosaur and needed to be replaced. Switch out for a newer one and we been good

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Is your Modem a Dinosaur? That what one Tech told us when we had problems, your modem is a dinosaur and needed to be replaced. Switch out for a newer one and we been good
Yeah I frequently check my speeds using Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test if I am below the mark of what I pay for I call my ISP and tell them to figure it out. I pay for the1GB service anything below 500mbps and they get a call. Generally means the squirrels the neighbor feeds have been chewing up my cable lines again... Can't tell you how many times they have replaced my line from my house to the pole... or my modem. But usually it's worth the call.

This is my current:
upload_2019-6-3_16-15-36.png

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Using cable to connect, not wireless. I appreciated the advice and get to it. TYVM!

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can unplug the modem, wait 10-15 seconds and plug back in. That is supposed to reset the signal. If that don't work you can call and they can force a reset signal. If you have Xfinity, they're unbelievably horrible about upgrading their network and not telling anyone that you need to upgrade your equipment.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
You can unplug the modem, wait 10-15 seconds and plug back in. That is supposed to reset the signal. If that don't work you can call and they can force a reset signal. If you have Xfinity, they're unbelievably horrible about upgrading their network and not telling anyone that you need to upgrade your equipment.
Ty Lythos. Will try the unpug, sound like a good idea. Thanks!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A few things to try.

1. If you own the modem, replace it every couple of years. If you get your modem from your provider (like with many of the cable providers), take the modem into the office and trade it at least yearly. This is especially true for modems that also have home phone capabilities. A number of cable companies recently had an issue where an Arris brand modem got a firmware update from the manufacturer, that apparently wasn't tested properly. As a result, it crippled a lot of modems, and not even sending out a signal to redo the firmware reversed the problem completely. So, they're having to replace modems with different models as users report issues (the issue affects browsing and gaming more than streaming or P2P stuff, for some reason - or at least it's more obvious due to the amount of comparative buffering), and aren't rushing the changes, from the capital expense of replacing a lot of relatively new or just refurbished modems with new ones from other sources.
  2. Also, replace your cables every few months, yearly at worst. CAT5 cables are relatively cheap, as are the short lengths of coax or DSL-rated phone line needed to get from the wall to the modem. Remember to replace on both sides of the modem and the router. If you have a splitter/filter in the coax cable or DSL line, replace those at least yearly as well (and, with cable, have the cable company check the line entrance into the house - I've had a splitter on the exterior of the house go bad several times in the last 5 years, probably from temperature extremes through the year since it was in a housing that kept it dry).
  3. If your router is separate from the modem, they tend to go south after a couple years - especially if you don't keep the firmware up to date. Consider replacing it every 1-2 years as well.
  4. If connecting with a wireless router or router/modem, don't forget the effects of house structure. Moving a router a few inches can effect signals through walls, from the geometry - and this is especially true in older pre-drywall houses that used something like chicken wire as the base for plastering. There's houses in many major cities (especially the SF Bay area) that the tech people just adored - until they found out the chicken-wire plaster made EACH ROOM its very own Faraday cage for wireless and cell signals.
  5. Don't forget to check the drivers for your ethernet port on your computer, if using a wired connection (or your wireless adapter when wireless). Check the manufacturer vs. anything Windows might inflict, because before I've had Windows update insist on reapplying a year-old update after I did a driver update that was released in the previous week by the manufacturer (happens more with video cards, but can happen with any component). On the other hand, I've had machines where no update was listed for the item on the driver page for years, but over a dozen listed on the component maker's in the same period - or even the page for that family of computers (just not on the specific model) due to an oversight by someone updating the support pages. And, if your modem is better than the class of your point of connection, consider getting a replacement card to use instead of the built-in ethernet/wireless.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the fantastic tips! Greatly appreciated.
I think the problem resolved after unplugging modem for a few minutes, thus "resetting" it. I will post if problem persists.:)

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
when I have issues, 99% of the time is related to test center and pubs. once the pub comes out, issues like lag or crashes go away.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
My problem went away with just unplugging modem 5 minutes and then plugging back again..So now it looks ok.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My problem went away with just unplugging modem 5 minutes and then plugging back again..So now it looks ok.
Yeah, that's the "magic" trick, I reboot modem once a week and also unplug the modem at the same time as some have told me you should completely unplug it, not just pull the cables off, not sure about how true that is, but I don't take any chances on getting great connections because I'm so far from the servers.