• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Grind

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
rant

When is too much too much? I am upset and will most likely be told I am whining but so be it. I am 120 tame 120 lore and 120 vet real skill. I spent 30 minutes trying to tame a frost dragon before it despawned. In those 30 minutes, I only got 3 actual tame attempts. The majority were you seem to have angered the beast with some too far away. I spent a lot of time running as well.

I understand that it needs to be difficult to tame with it's power but at least let the tame attempts (blue you start to tame) go in since you already have to be within like 2 tiles to start. If not adjust the actual attempts (blue) then at least make it so you can stand a little farther away. 3 actual tame attempts in 30 minutes is one every 10 minutes which is ridiculous. Its not like once the tame attempt starts, you have a high chance of taming. I just wish this game wasn't so ridiculously time eating and grindy. I can train a pet that would be better than the frost dragon so why not adjust the taming on stuff like those?

/rant

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Takes me like 2-3 minutes to tame one. Just Honor yourself and it won't attack you. I created a macro to Use Skill Taming, Current Target and just keep hitting the button. Honor is very easy to raise on a tamer.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Honor seems to be bugged for me, I was killing a ton of sucubus with a giant beetle that has no magic/casting skills and did not raise any in honor. By ton, I made over 150k killing them before giving up. The last time I used honor, it was gone in less than 1 minute. Guess I will try again and see with a different pet.

EDIT: Maybe I was bugged or too far away but seems I am getting honor now.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I use the beat them until they have no stamina or mana then walk up and press tame over and over then invis once I see the blue words.

Taming the new pets in Eodon helps you get a method that works for you. Most of those things are pretty angry to start with and you learn to separate the mobs to help with the success.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally I cast heal repeatedly and just walk right up and tame them... then lead them about in a small circle till the job is done... sometimes they will dragon breath me and I have to run a bit or cast invis heal up with a greater and try again but generally I never ever use honor... that's cheap.

Mini heals will keep you healed enough for the most part... I do die on occasion... never had one despawn before though. Is that a new thing?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Personally I cast heal repeatedly and just walk right up and tame them... then lead them about in a small circle till the job is done... sometimes they will dragon breath me and I have to run a bit or cast invis heal up with a greater and try again but generally I never ever use honor... that's cheap.

Mini heals will keep you healed enough for the most part... I do die on occasion... never had one despawn before though. Is that a new thing?
Yes what is de-spawn?

As far as I know, the frost dragon is a guardian from a level 7 treasure chest only. I was doing a map when he spawned, I tried to tame him for 30 minutes. When the chest despawned (disappeared) so did he. :(

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Never tried taming a frost but on most critters I've found paralize and healing works well. As far as honor @DreadLord Lestat it will gain very slowly if you are not hitting the critter at melee with your character. When I'm looking to gain honor I just switch some melee skills onto my tamer and work it up that way while my pet tanks.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I was under the impression 'tameables' from a t-chest were not labelled guardians and didnt need to be killed to open the chest. Nor do they 'teleport' back to the chest if lured to far. Can't vouch for despawning but I've never seen it happen.

Regarding taming them, never had an issue. Use Skill/Last Target macro, hold key down and lead. When the tame starts (within 2 tiles), you only need to keep within like 5 or 6 tiles maybe more for it not to interrupt which gives you more than enough time to heal/cure, pre-cast GH when you hear the breath and job done.

Unless something has changed...

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I was under the impression 'tameables' from a t-chest were not labelled guardians and didnt need to be killed to open the chest. Nor do they 'teleport' back to the chest if lured to far. Can't vouch for despawning but I've never seen it happen.

Regarding taming them, never had an issue. Use Skill/Last Target macro, hold key down and lead. When the tame starts (within 2 tiles), you only need to keep within like 5 or 6 tiles maybe more for it not to interrupt which gives you more than enough time to heal/cure, pre-cast GH when you hear the breath and job done.

Unless something has changed...
I guess the UO RNG hates me. I have a macro to tame my current target and I would spam it until either I got the the blue tame attempt message or needed to run to heal. In 30 minutes, I had 3 actual blue tame attempts where it was actually going through the taming process, that was it. I cleared the chest, beat down the frost dragon with my t-hunter's greater and then switched over to my main tamer with 120 all real skill tame/lore/vet. In the middle of spamming tame he disappeared. I checked to see if he teleported to the chest which was no longer there when I got there. I can only guess that when the chest went poof so did he.

My tamer is my first character made back in 2000 and has been my main. I have been gm tamer or higher since 2001. I fully understand the mechanics of taming and how to lead tame. I just don't think that it should take that long to tame a pet (without using honor). 3 actual attempts in 30 minutes of spamming is ridiculously low. I am glad that others can do it better than I, was just commenting on how grindy it is when you can tame a lower pet and make it similar and at times better.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My tamer is my first character made back in 2000 and has been my main. I have been gm tamer or higher since 2001. I fully understand the mechanics of taming and how to lead tame. I just don't think that it should take that long to tame a pet (without using honor). 3 actual attempts in 30 minutes of spamming is ridiculously low. I am glad that others can do it better than I, was just commenting on how grindy it is when you can tame a lower pet and make it similar and at times better.
My intent was certainly not to teach you how to tame, was more of a disbelief at the time to initiate a tame, 30 minutes for 3 attempts, so at least one attempt took more than 10 minutes to initiate! That's not just bad RnG, that's ludicrously bad RnG. I would be questioning my sanity after a minute of attempts.

You basically won the lottery of bad RnG.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have sometimes taken up to 2 hours to tame something ... Especially one of those frost dragons from having to run off and heal up to having to find a rez and return... and the failing of starting taming for 20+ times in a row... and the very annoying failing to tame over and over and over again...