• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Which Reforging Option(s) Do You Use for Making Weapons?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know a whole lot about reforging, so bear with me here please.

In testing treasure hunting on TC, I am noticing that many of the weapons are "animated" or "invigorating." (See images here, look at assassin, ranger, and warrior themes, although I'm not done with ranger and warrior yet. Will be adding more ranger and more warrior images today. Images are posted in each line generally left to right with armor first, then weapons, and then jewelry, so you may have to scroll over or use the slider to see the weapons. [bcolor=rgb(16, 16, 16)]Publish 105 (Round 2) - Treasure Chest Randomly Generated Equipment Images[/bcolor])

Is there a better reforging option to use for weapons? I don't play a dexxer very often, but just looking at these property combinations on weapons, I doubt I would use many of them.

Which reforging options do you use for making various types of weapons and various types of situations in which you use them? Let's get some thoughts on this before it's too late and make some recommendations to the dev team before this publish is set in stone.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't know a whole lot about reforging, so bear with me here please.

In testing treasure hunting on TC, I am noticing that many of the weapons are "animated" or "invigorating." (See images here, look at assassin, ranger, and warrior themes, although I'm not done with ranger and warrior yet. Will be adding more ranger and more warrior images today. Images are posted in each line generally left to right with armor first, then weapons, and then jewelry, so you may have to scroll over or use the slider to see the weapons. [bcolor=rgb(16, 16, 16)]Publish 105 (Round 2) - Treasure Chest Randomly Generated Equipment Images[/bcolor])

Is there a better reforging option to use for weapons? I don't play a dexxer very often, but just looking at these property combinations on weapons, I doubt I would use many of them.

Which reforging options do you use for making various types of weapons and various types of situations in which you use them? Let's get some thoughts on this before it's too late and make some recommendations to the dev team before this publish is set in stone.
When i comes to weapons archers might use an animated bow (hoping for 40% SSI) and then enhance to get an extra 10%. Sampires would use reforge to either get "of quality" for 100% element damage or "Vampire" to get some overclocked leeches. For armor, it depends on the player and their suit because ideally you would want overclocked stam gear (+10 stam and +5 dex) but some people might go for more HP or damage eater etc.

In my opinion, unfortunately, just about all of that loot is unusable from a dexer standpoint because (from what I've seen) there might be no mods over-capped or perhaps just one but the pieces don't have other mods to stack with an over-capped mod. For example, Ranger tab K2 its only 2 dex and 4 stam (with Stam regen and resists)... that's not even near maxed out for the stam/dex and then it combines stam regen on the piece; that would go straight in the trash. Another example is Ranger tab L5 has +10 stam (over-capped which is good!) and 8 LMC (and resists) which isn't bad but then the rest of the mods aren't desirable like LRC and reflect damage; again this would go in the trash. This seems to be the trend in almost everything I see in the sheet, like Ranger tab M9, it has 35% SSI which is on the right track but then only has 20 HLD and 5 Stam increase (ew). This is trash because you can reforge a bow to be better than this AND you get more points to play with on something exceptional vs a non-exceptional item.

Something that would be desirable for a weapon is something with at least one over-capped mod (like 40 SSI or 70 HLD/Hit Spell/ManaLeech) and then complimenting secondary mods that are at cap (or over-capped). This might vary by person depending on their suit but for me I'd look for a composite bow with some sort of combination of 50% in all 3 leeches/ 50+ Hit Spell (or HLD) / 35+ velocity / 35+ damage / balanced. Note I intentionally left off the SSI because that impacts the leeches (and I have SSI on my suit) but that should also be thrown in there with some sort of combination. Things like +stam or +HP or even +DCI on a weapon are just simply wasted mods and I'd use a crafted (and imbued) weapon over one of these to get all the mods I want.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most reforge to get 100% elemental damage and then imbue to get the stats they want. I have a non slayer bow and slayer bows.

Same idea for melee weapons. Easier to build a suit and put remaining needs on imbued jewelry and weapon.

I'd like to see a pic of a weapon anybody has looted that they use for pvm. I have none.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went through all the images I had for weapons from Cache chests on TC from the most recent round of changes (i.e., from Wednesday last week) and wrote down all the properties I saw and their percentages. I'm going to attempt to split these between desirable, questionable, and waste of space. Would love comments to see if this is accurate or not and if anything should be reranked under those headings.

DESIRABLE:

Damage Increase 30% - 40% - 50% - 70%

Swing Speed Increase 10% - 15% - 30% - 35% - 40%

100% Fire Damage
100% Cold Damage
70% Chaos Damage

Hit Life Leech 10% - 20% - 40% - 50% - 52% - 56% - 62% - 70% - 75% - 81% - 87% - 90% - 93% - 100%
Hit Stamina Leech 20% - 30% - 40% - 50% - 60% - 70%
Hit Mana Leech 13% - 22% - 30% - 35% - 41% - 45% - 52% - 56% - 60% - 68% - 75% - 78% - 82% - 87% - 96% - 100%

Hit Chance Increase 5% - 10% - 15% - 20% - 25%
Defense Chance Increase 5% - 10% - 15% - 25%

Hit Lower Attack 20% - 30% - 40% - 50%
Hit Lower Defense 20% - 30% - 40% - 50%

Luck 20 60 70 100 120

Balanced

Hit Dispel 20% - 30% - 40% - 50% - 60%
Hit Fatigue 50%
Hit Fireball 30% - 50% - 70%
Hit Harm 20% - 50% - 70%
Hit Lightning 50%
Hit Magic Arrow 20% - 30%
Hit Mana Drain 50% - 60% - 70%

Slayer Property (See below for additional info.)

35% Velocity

20% Splintering Weapon

Battle Lust

Use Best Weapon Skill

Faster Casting 1

Spell Channeling

Mage Weapon -15 -20 -25 Skill

QUESTIONABLE?:

Hit Cold Area 50%
Hit Energy Area 70%
Hit Fire Area 60% - 70%
Hit Physical Area 30% - 50% - 60%
Hit Poison Area 50%

Lower Requirements 60% - 70% - 100%

Durability +100% +150%

WASTE OF PROPERTIES SPACE:

Hit Point Rengeneration 3 - 6 - 9
Hit Point Increase 3 - 4
Mana Regeneration 3 - 6 - 9
Mana Increase 3 - 4 - 5
Stamina Regeneration 3 - 6
Stamina Increase 3 - 4 - 5

Dexterity Bonus 2 - 4 - 5
Intelligence Bonus 2 - 4
Strength Bonus 1

Lower Mana Cost 4% - 5%

Reflect Physical Damage 5% - 10% - 15% - 20%

Cold Resist 8%
Energy Resist 5% - 10% - 13% - 18%
Fire Resist 10% - 13% - 18%
Physical Resist 8% - 15%
Poison Resist 5% - 8%

Enhance Potions 5% 10%

SLAYER PROPERTY
These are the slayer properties I've found so far:

Air Elemental Slayer
Dragon Slayer
Earth Elemental Slayer
Fire Elemental Slayer
Gargoyle Slayer
Lizardman Slayer
Ogre Slayer
Ophidian Slayer
Orc Slayer
Scorpion Slayer
Spider Slayer
Terathan Slayer
Troll Slayer
Water Elemental Slayer

Which slayer properties are most useful these days? Which are used occasionally and which are seldom, if ever, used?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Looks good for pvm. I only use demon, fey, spider, and repond slayers. Some use dragon and ogre.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Most reforge to get 100% elemental damage and then imbue to get the stats they want. I have a non slayer bow and slayer bows.

Same idea for melee weapons. Easier to build a suit and put remaining needs on imbued jewelry and weapon.

I'd like to see a pic of a weapon anybody has looted that they use for pvm. I have none.
I will try to remember to post a pic of the weaps I use that have been looted when I'm able to get in game. They are few and I don't always use them as a primary but they certainly have uses as they compliment by suits.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I went through all the images I had for weapons from Cache chests on TC from the most recent round of changes (i.e., from Wednesday last week) and wrote down all the properties I saw and their percentages. I'm going to attempt to split these between desirable, questionable, and waste of space. Would love comments to see if this is accurate or not and if anything should be reranked under those headings.

DESIRABLE:

Damage Increase 30% - 40% - 50% - 70%

Swing Speed Increase 10% - 15% - 30% - 35% - 40%

100% Fire Damage
100% Cold Damage
70% Chaos Damage

Hit Life Leech 10% - 20% - 40% - 50% - 52% - 56% - 62% - 70% - 75% - 81% - 87% - 90% - 93% - 100%
Hit Stamina Leech 20% - 30% - 40% - 50% - 60% - 70%
Hit Mana Leech 13% - 22% - 30% - 35% - 41% - 45% - 52% - 56% - 60% - 68% - 75% - 78% - 82% - 87% - 96% - 100%

Hit Chance Increase 5% - 10% - 15% - 20% - 25%
Defense Chance Increase 5% - 10% - 15% - 25%

Hit Lower Attack 20% - 30% - 40% - 50%
Hit Lower Defense 20% - 30% - 40% - 50%

Luck 20 60 70 100 120

Balanced

Hit Dispel 20% - 30% - 40% - 50% - 60%
Hit Fatigue 50%
Hit Fireball 30% - 50% - 70%
Hit Harm 20% - 50% - 70%
Hit Lightning 50%
Hit Mana Drain 50% - 60% - 70%

Slayer Property (See below for additional info.)

35% Velocity

20% Splintering Weapon

Battle Lust

Use Best Weapon Skill

Faster Casting 1

Spell Channeling

Mage Weapon -15 -20 -25 Skill

QUESTIONABLE?:

Hit Cold Area 50%
Hit Energy Area 70%
Hit Fire Area 60% - 70%
Hit Physical Area 30% - 50% - 60%
Hit Poison Area 50%

Lower Requirements 60% - 70% - 100%

Durability +100% +150%

Hit Point Increase 3 - 4
Mana Increase 3 - 4 - 5

Intelligence Bonus 2 - 4
Strength Bonus 1

Lower Mana Cost 4% - 5%

Cold Resist 8%
Physical Resist 8% - 15%
Poison Resist 5% - 8%

Enhance Potions 5% 10%

SLAYER PROPERTY

Air Elemental Slayer
Dragon Slayer
Earth Elemental Slayer
Fire Elemental Slayer
Gargoyle Slayer
Lizardman Slayer
Ogre Slayer
Ophidian Slayer
Orc Slayer
Scorpion Slayer
Spider Slayer
Terathan Slayer
Troll Slayer
Water Elemental Slayer

Which slayer properties are most useful these days? Which are used occasionally and which are seldom, if ever, used?
@Tina Small - Again very thorough and great job laying this out! I'll go through and give my thoughts which are based on my builds of desirable traits. Just a little disclaimer that there could be a whacky combo of lower intensity mod combinations I might leave off but I tend to only look for very "high end" mods because things too far under their max can more easily be reforged and imbued. The intensity is as important as the pairing of mods (example I look for Stam leech to be pair with Mana Leech but I wouldn't want splinter to be paired with area spell). The last thing is that this is also mainly from a PvM view point.

DESIRABLE:

Damage Increase 50% (I don't use DI on my sampire but if this mod is on the weap it should be higher than can be crafted (50%)... 70% is probably overkill)

Swing Speed Increase: None OR 20%+ (I also don't need SSI on my sampire due to my suit. If it's a slower swinging weapon it should be higher SSI. The drawback to having SSI is that it impacts mana leech for PvM so no SSI is ideal for certain weapons. In the case of PvP... the higher the SSI the better.)

Removed elemental damage. (As I can use consecrate weapon to match the best resist to hit and this wouldn't impact me keeping a weapon or not. )

Hit Life Leech 60% - 100%
Hit Stamina Leech 50% - 70%
Hit Mana Leech 45% - 100% (When it comes to leeches I want as much as possible. I'm expecting these all to be maxed out on a legendary. Anything under the max of what an imbued piece gives is typically trashed or thrown in a bag of stuff I'll never use. Example: Having 20% LL/SL/ML on a weapon is waste IMO. They should all be around 50% at least)

Removed the Hit chance and Defense chance from weapons. (These mods are on armor/jewels/buffs/etc so I don't want to waste these mods on my weapon.)

Hit Lower Attack 50% (This is borderline desirable. I could take it or leave it but needs to be 50% to make it desirable.)
Hit Lower Defense 40% - 70% (The max HLD is actually 70% so I adjusted that top range. This definitely has a place on a weapon if someone isn't using mace & shields. Also good for PvP. Anything under 40 though would be a wasted mod since M&S gives 30% HLD).

Removed Luck. (Don't need to waste a mod on luck.)

Balanced (This is very desirable for PvP)

Removed Hit Dispel (removed this as dispel evil can do this)
Hit Fatigue 50% (I thought this might go to 60% but maybe I'm wrong. This is a nice mod to have when paired with Mana drain.)
Hit Fireball 30% - 50% - 70% (The higher the better but wouldn't argue with hit spell only being 30%. Goes for all the other spells too. I know this is good for pvp)
Hit Harm 20% - 50% - 70%
Hit Lightning 50%
Hit Mana Drain 50% - 60% - 70% (This is a nice mod to have when paired with Fatigue. 50% is good and anything over is a bonus.)

Removed Slayer Property (Cameo's and other crafted weapons can be used over a chest looted weapon and this has zero desire from pvpers)

Velocity 35% (Also thought this went higher well... I'd say 35% would be the lowest value making it worth having the mod)

Splintering Weapon 20%-30% (highly desirable for pvp... no so much for pvm. If it has splinter then it should have no leeches and just have hit spell / SSI / batle lust)

Battle Lust (I personally haven't found much difference when using this so I could take or leave this... not sure if others have strong feelings on it)

Removed Use Best Weapon Skill

Removed Faster Casting 1

Spell Channeling (It has its uses)

Mage Weapon -15 (anything other than -15 has to be heavily modded to make up for it; likely I'd reforge this weapon instead)

Hit Area - 50%+ (It has to be 50-70% and would be something to use during a spawn or something. Under 50% I'd rather not have it on there because it won't be doing area damage enough times to be worth a mod. This isn't very sought after in pvp)

Removed Lower Requirements

Removed Durability

Hit Point Increase 3 - 4
Mana Increase 3 - 4 - 5

Intelligence Bonus 2 - 4
Strength Bonus 1

Lower Mana Cost 4% - 5%

Cold Resist 8%
Physical Resist 8% - 15%
Poison Resist 5% - 8%

Enhance Potions 5% 10%

SLAYER PROPERTY

Air Elemental Slayer
Dragon Slayer
Earth Elemental Slayer
Fire Elemental Slayer
Gargoyle Slayer
Lizardman Slayer
Ogre Slayer
Ophidian Slayer
Orc Slayer
Scorpion Slayer
Spider Slayer
Terathan Slayer
Troll Slayer
Water Elemental Slayer

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you, Keven! That was perfect. So does the list below look like what is wanted for properties on weapons from cache, horde, and trove treasure chests?

DON'T BOTHER WITH THESE AS PROPERTIES ON WEAPONS:
These are properties that players don't want on weapons at all or that they can effectively include themselves on player-crafted weapons or somewhere else on their gear.
  • Elemental damage (i.e., 100% cold damage, 100% fire damage, 100% poison damage, 100% energy damage)
  • Hit or Defence Chance Increase
  • Luck
  • Hit Dispel
  • Slayer
  • Best Weapon Skill
  • Faster Casting 1
  • Lower Requirements
  • Durability
  • Hit Point, Mana, or Stamina Regeneration
  • Hit Point, Mana, or Stamina Increase
  • Dex, Intelligence, or Strength Bonus
  • Lower Mana Cost
  • Reflect Physical Damage
  • Cold, Energy, Fire, Physical, or Poison Resist
  • Enhance Potions
PLEASE INCLUDE THESE PROPERTIES AT OR HIGHER THAN THE PERCENTAGES LISTED:
These properties are desirable on looted weapons, as long as the percentages are at or higher than listed. Lower percentages are not helpful enough to be included and the property should just not be included.

• Damage Increase (50% or higher or don't include it at all)
  • Swing Speed Increase (20% or higher or don't include it at all)
  • Hit Life, Mana, or Stamina Leech (50% or higher or don't include it at all)
  • Hit Lower Attack (50% or higher or don't include it at all)
  • Hit Lower Defense (40% or higher or don't include it at all)
  • Hit Fatigue, Fireball, Harm, Lightning, Magic Arrow, Mana Drain (50% or higher or don't include it at all)
  • Hit Cold, Energy, Fire, Physical, or Poison Area (50% or higher or don't include it at all)
  • Velocity (35% or higher or don't include it at all)
  • Splintering Weapon (20% or higher or don't include it at all)
  • Mage Weapon (0 to -15)
  • Balanced
  • Spell Channeling

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So how does this apply to reforging when alls this thread is really about what you want in the T_Chest. :lame:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm too stupid to phrase the question properly, I guess.

Do you always have to be such a jerk?
I understood. I wouldn't want any of the hit spells other than fire or lightning. I fight things with high magic resist so those would fail or not last long.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Removed elemental damage. (As I can use consecrate weapon to match the best resist to hit and this wouldn't impact me keeping a weapon or not.)
100% Elemental Damage weps are also useful for Swordsman (Onslaught) and Throwers (Elemental Fury). Con Wep doesn't affect those two abilities.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When it comes to leeches however I only want Mana and Stamina. My sampire leeches life from the hits and I need full stamina to swing fast and full mana for specials (Either Whirlwind for mobs or Concecrate/AI for solo). WHen you have 3 leeches - they don't all go off at once - only one at a time I believe so I dont' want life leech firing off instead of mana and stamina. So none of my sampire weapons have life leech.

In terms of SSI it depends what you are running for stamina. You only want enough SSI to swing at cap. For faster weapons - i want zero SSI because I already swing at cap. FOr slower weapons usualy 20% ssi is the most I need to swing at cap.

This is why people craft their weapons - the odds of getting Max Stamina, Max Mana leech with right Swing Speed on right type of weapon (either whirlwind or AI weapon) along with other usable mods makes it hard to beat crafted weapons.

Here are a couple that I use that I've crafted and/or reforged. Not perfect weapons (some off from maxes) but generally the mods that are useful. That one tears up dragons. With my stamina and 20% I swing at cap and leech 87% of the time mana which allows me to armor ignore almost nonstop.

Weapon Exmaples.jpg

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good Luck! Would be nice if the amount of possible properties was reduced.
I asked on the official forum. We'll see if there's any response.

This thread is also very useful for reforging/imbuing. Thank you all for the replies.

P.S. I see Uriah Heep also commented on the official forum that velocity cancels out the slayer property when it hits, so don't have both on a (ranged) weapon. (Velocity is just for archery and throwing weapons, right? I'm so rusty.)

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

This thread is also very useful for reforging/imbuing. Thank you all for the replies.

P.S. I see Uriah Heep also commented on the official forum that velocity cancels out the slayer property when it hits, so don't have both on a (ranged) weapon. (Velocity is just for archery and throwing weapons, right? I'm so rusty.)
Correct - only ranged weaps get velocity.

100% Elemental Damage weps are also useful for Swordsman (Onslaught) and Throwers (Elemental Fury). Con Wep doesn't affect those two abilities.
Agree here and I use onslaught quite a bit but it's with my crafted axe where I choose the mods. When talking chest items I figure they will only give you so many mods on a single item so if I had to choose; I'd rather take Hit Mana Leech or Hit Lower Defense (and several otehr mods) over a 100% element weapon. If being 100% elemental won't impact any other mod then sure throw it in there :)

I understood. I wouldn't want any of the hit spells other than fire or lightning. I fight things with high magic resist so those would fail or not last long.
@Pawain I'd agree with you here too... I don't PvP these days but I could see someone wanting something like magic arrow that would help interrupt casting so I left those smaller spells in there. Same thing with splinter; I don't personally ever really use it but I know others might so I left it as desirable. I also pasted a screen grab from one of the axes I find useful. Again my sampire suit has SSI & DI that I need so the weapon doesn't need it.

CaptureAxe.PNG

@Theo_GL - I know there are different variations and play styles so it makes sense that you might not look for Leech Life but since I don't need the DI/SSI you have on those weaps you posted I typically have extra mods open to me and that's why I usually go for leech life (I like to play it safe :D ). I also notice that typically when an item has ML & SL it usually has LL (see my weapon above) so that why I figured I'd add it in there as a mod that would be desirable to some. I'd agree it's not the first mod I'd hope to see but I'd consider it desirable versus a waste of space (like reflect physical damage).

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes Velocity is on Ranged weapons. It does not add to Slayer damage its lower damage is applied when used. It is a detriment to a slayer weapon as is.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Im going to hop on test for a few... anyone know if there is a public Davies somewhere to speed up finding the spots?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

Strong work Tina! Your efforts are greatly appreciated by all of us!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im going to hop on test for a few... anyone know if there is a public Davies somewhere to speed up finding the spots?
Yeah, my house on TC has one. It's kind of NE of Britain. All the stuff circled in red is publicly accessible.
olivias house on tc.jpg

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Theo_GL - I know there are different variations and play styles so it makes sense that you might not look for Leech Life but since I don't need the DI/SSI you have on those weaps you posted I typically have extra mods open to me and that's why I usually go for leech life (I like to play it safe :D ). I also notice that typically when an item has ML & SL it usually has LL (see my weapon above) so that why I figured I'd add it in there as a mod that would be desirable to some. I'd agree it's not the first mod I'd hope to see but I'd consider it desirable versus a waste of space (like reflect physical damage).

Understood and that underscores my point on how specific weapons are to the character build. A good weapon for my sampire may not be good for yours. Armor is almost the same way - this has been the biggest problem with all the loot changes and additions is that there are SO many mods on stuff and you don't want to use up imbuing/property points on a resist thats overcapped that you can build a suit with a few looted pieces but then need to craft VERY specific pieces to fit in. It takes spreadsheets and hours to build a good suit. This is why cursed items are a complete waste. If I could keep getting the SAME cursed piece - then you could use it and replace with another cursed version when you lost it. Now if you build your suit around a cursed item and lose it - good luck ever finding one similar. Once again - systems designed by people that don't actively play the game.

This what was great about the 'early days' of UO where if you lost your weapon - you could replace it with one just like it. Now its like an act of god - either looting or crafting it. I mean some of my crafted pieces cost millions if you include the materials, the ingredients, the runics and sometimes the forged tool to enhance for zero fail.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My perfect weapon for my sampire would be:

A double axe with

100% elemental damage
100 mana leech
100 life leech
50+ Stamina leech
50+ HLA
40+ DI

I use Cameos so don't need slayer. That's the thing. Depending on your build and suit many options could work. Maybe if they spawned 1-3 overcapped properties on weapons that you could imbue around that would create the best chance at useable weapons from loot.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm too stupid to phrase the question properly, I guess.

Do you always have to be such a jerk?
LMAO We all know that you are far from stupid but to try playing the stupid card is to funny.

are you really trying to tell me you have zero clue what reforging is and this is the exact copy of your title.

Which Reforging Option(s) Do You Use for Making Weapons?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Theo_GL - I'd certainly agree with you there that many variations of a weapon can be considered "good" depending on the suit / skills etc. I actually find it more appealing because it kind of opens up options compared to back in the day; everyone running around with silver vanquishing items but I do see your point on making items hard to replace given a certain rarity of different pieces.

That said, I think there are still some universally "bad" or undesirable traits that weapons have that NOBODY wants. For example, I'm 100% sure nobody is looking for a weapon with 20% cold resist or 15% reflect damage just to name a few. Those are just horrible mods that don't belong on weapons period. Check out Publish 105 Forgotten Treasures Release 2 on Test Center to see some of the items I pulled from Trove chests (which actually had a war fork with 20% cold resist).

I think what Tina is aiming for (and what I offered as my suggestions) were identifying some favorable / unfavorable properties to help guide Devs in loot generation on the treasure chests. I tried to take an unbiased approach (again my suit has SSI & Damage Inc so to me those aren't desirable on a weapon but I know others value that) in my feedback and I'm not suggesting everything I gave be the end all be all but I think we could all likely agree that the following undesirable list are properties that an overwhelming majority do not want to see on their weapons (note that I removed/modified a few things).

PROPERTIES NOT WANTED ON WEAPONS IN TREASURE CHESTS:
  • Defense Chance Increase
  • Any element that is not 100% (ie 70% cold 30% phys)
  • Luck
  • Hit Dispel
  • Best Weapon Skill
  • Faster Casting 1
  • Lower Requirements
  • Durability (assuming weapons will be brittle and 255 durb OR powder can be used on it)
  • Hit Point, Mana, or Stamina Regeneration
  • Hit Point, Mana, or Stamina Increase
  • Dex, Intelligence, or Strength Bonus
  • Lower Mana Cost
  • Reflect Physical Damage
  • Cold, Energy, Fire, Physical, or Poison Resist
  • Enhance Potions (keep in mind this could go on a 2 handed weapon)
If anyone disagrees with this list please comment on which item you think SHOULD be on weapons in treasure chests and the general reason. I'd just ask that we try to think about the majority or people and not explicitly our own needs (ie. I wouldnt expect someone to say LMC should be on weapons because their suit only has 38% so they need the extra 2% from my weapon... 99% of people are able to get the 40% LMC from armor these days).

Also I think there has to be some thought on pairing on mods. For example I dug up a chest with a -15 magery staff that wasn't spell channeling... I think that somewhat defeats the purpose of a mage using the staff. Additionally I believe there is something that doesn't allow ranged weaps to "use" the slayer on the weapon when velocity hits... that sounds like a bug to me but if that's how it is designed then those two properties shouldn't be paired on a ranged weapon.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think some Chivy users who want 4/6 casting might want FC1 on a weapon... but most of us don't...

That said I think it's insanely stupid to have "Mage Weapon" as a property without it being spell channeling... There is no point... no mage in their right mind would use a weapon they had to continually put back in their hand when they use their main Skill... Mage Weapon should be "inherently" spell channeling... IMO.

And as far as bows are concerned if it's not a repeater it absolutely MUST have SSI. Most any weapon that has a speed of 4 or more needs SSI. No one is going to use a weapon that takes that long to hit. Speaking of repeaters since that was nerfed oh so many years ago I don't know anyone who uses one of those... you want to plink away at something for hours on end as most things will heal faster than any damage you can do to it with a repeater even if you are hitting it continually as fast as possible... its like hitting an ogre with a tiny bb gun or something it won't even know you are hitting it. Barely does enough damage to remove a paralyze...

The Heavy Cross is only used as far as I'm aware in PvP for a dismount... bows and crossbows for the one shot effect but Yumi and the composite are most widely used.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Saw this in the traders hall thread... this is along the lines of something I'd like to see in some of the chests as a baseline for weapons... The weapon has 20% splinter which is 2/3 max value and then have 50% lightning and HLD and is prized (not brittle or antique). I don't pvp and wouldn't have a whole lot of use for it but there are some folks that would have lots of use for these type of weapons.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a couple weps I looted that have high HPR, MR and SR. I like to carry one just to use for regeneration purposes when I get in trouble, but I don't use either of them to fight. Don't be so quick to dismiss those. It has saved me a time or two.

Ghost of Gramps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When it comes to leeches however I only want Mana and Stamina. My sampire leeches life from the hits and I need full stamina to swing fast and full mana for specials (Either Whirlwind for mobs or Concecrate/AI for solo). WHen you have 3 leeches - they don't all go off at once - only one at a time I believe so I dont' want life leech firing off instead of mana and stamina. So none of my sampire weapons have life leech.

In terms of SSI it depends what you are running for stamina. You only want enough SSI to swing at cap. For faster weapons - i want zero SSI because I already swing at cap. FOr slower weapons usualy 20% ssi is the most I need to swing at cap.

This is why people craft their weapons - the odds of getting Max Stamina, Max Mana leech with right Swing Speed on right type of weapon (either whirlwind or AI weapon) along with other usable mods makes it hard to beat crafted weapons.

Here are a couple that I use that I've crafted and/or reforged. Not perfect weapons (some off from maxes) but generally the mods that are useful. That one tears up dragons. With my stamina and 20% I swing at cap and leech 87% of the time mana which allows me to armor ignore almost nonstop.

View attachment 97967
Great post. Thank you for sharing this information. Makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
yeah thats a nice thread and collection of information.
one thing which is missing here is that you DO actually benefit from running a Cameo + Slayer on Weapon.
At least it was like that before i went on a break. if i remember correctly is was about 20 ish % more damage.

not sure if this got changed....

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I did find this to be the case when doing the treasures of the undead kin event on LS... Using the undead weapon with undead Tali did more damage than without for the most part because honor didn't max out unless it was a paragon.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will try to remember to post a pic of the weaps I use that have been looted when I'm able to get in game. They are few and I don't always use them as a primary but they certainly have uses as they compliment by suits.
Have you found them yet? I still have found no useful weapon as loot.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've never seen a useable weapon as loot. Maybe for PvP but never ever for anything else.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Have you found them yet? I still have found no useful weapon as loot.
I won't reveal the entire recipe to the secret sauce because a lot of the strategy I use depends on what is being fought and suit build but these are typically the looted weapons ones I get a lot of use out of. Obviously they are the most effective on things with lower Phys resist but I've even used them on things where Phys isn't the lowest resist and just spammed consecrate (much more tedious) with some good success.

1597840984490.png 1597841047646.png