• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mystery Solved and Watch Me Eat Crow!

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Some of you might remember how, a long, loooong, and probably even forgotten time ago (not) I posted here with respect to having lost a house placement.

I'll refresh your memory; after having an avian aficionado move into the small plot next door, I decided to move. After placing my house, requesting a resize, dying, and rezzing, I lost that house spot in an untimely manner, long before the resize timer should have ended.

I then posted very publicly my displeasure at having a parrot peeve and housing horror. I bid you all in UO a fond farewell.

And so - here is the 'official' update; after extensive testing on TC1, I was able to recreate the housing loss debacle. As mentioned, I had died to some fresh spawn during the resize, and so, I quickly logged into my other account to resurrect myself. In my panicked rush to complete the housing job before the timer could possibly run out, and with a flurry of folks recalling in and out, I clicked 'OK' when advised that running two instances of UO is an unsupported feature. I was able to recreate this same scenario on test and indeed another player was able to place on my 'reserved' spot only when I was logged in to two accounts at the same time. That is to say - two accounts on one computer, something I have very rarely done, and something I don't recommend anyone do.

And so, to Ultima Online, I apologize. I also apologize to the very goodly and kind hearted people here on Stratics who offered me much help; in the way of houses/transfers of items and more. It was the show of support that gave me the impetus to stay.

...However, the guy with the parrots is still an arse.

And now my goodly friends, please enjoy as I feast on this! No, it's not a parrot, it is indeed a crow.

eating crow.jpg

Cheers

Edited to add @Cyrah @railshot @celticus @Stinky Pete @MalagAste @ShriNayne @Pawain @Dot_Warner @SugarMMM @Spartan @Maker2014 @Sellingahouse @Alkaseltzer @Luc of Legends @grimiz @Ezekiel Zane @Lore @SteelRust @Blackie , thank you all for your input and support, it was very helpful, and deeply appreciated!

Edit number 2:
To clarify, I used one computer running two classic clients. I went to the same location on TC1 that I had been on in production shard when I lost the placement. It was near Minoc and very close to a server line. I placed two side by side houses, and resized one, and then an hour and ten minutes later resized the second house. I was NOT able to have anyone place whilst running a single client - message was to the effect 'this area is temporarily unavailable' (not a direct quote though it could be). However, when I logged in on same pc with the aforementioned second classic client, a house was able to be placed in my reserved spot. I did not need to die to recreate this. Placement by a different user happened within ten minutes. I have not tested this on the enhanced client, nor a combination of 1 enhanced/1 classic. I hope this helps in some way!

Last edited:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Some of you might remember how, a long, loooong, and probably even forgotten time ago (not) I posted here with respect to having lost a house placement.

I'll refresh your memory; after having an avian aficionado move into the small plot next door, I decided to move. After placing my house, requesting a resize, dying, and rezzing, I lost that house spot in an untimely manner, long before the resize timer should have ended.

I then posted very publicly my displeasure at having a parrot peeve and housing horror. I bid you all in UO a fond farewell.

And so - here is the 'official' update; after extensive testing on TC1, I was able to recreate the housing loss debacle. As mentioned, I had died to some fresh spawn during the resize, and so, I quickly logged into my other account to resurrect myself. In my panicked rush to complete the housing job before the timer could possibly run out, and with a flurry of folks recalling in and out, I clicked 'OK' when advised that running two instances of UO is an unsupported feature. I was able to recreate this same scenario on test and indeed another player was able to place on my 'reserved' spot only when I was logged in to two accounts at the same time. That is to say - two accounts on one computer, something I have very rarely done, and something I don't recommend anyone do.

And so, to Ultima Online, I apologize. I also apologize to the very goodly and kind hearted people here on Stratics who offered me much help; in the way of houses/transfers of items and more. It was the show of support that gave me the impetus to stay.

...However, the guy with the parrots is still an arse.

And now my goodly friends, please enjoy as I feast on this! No, it's not a parrot, it is indeed a crow.

View attachment 97963

Cheers

Edited to add @Cyrah @railshot @celticus @Stinky Pete @MalagAste @ShriNayne @Pawain @Dot_Warner @SugarMMM @Spartan @Maker2014 @Sellingahouse @Alkaseltzer @Luc of Legends @grimiz @Ezekiel Zane @Lore @SteelRust @Blackie , thank you all for your input and support, it was very helpful, and deeply appreciated!
:thumbsup: Just one of them :gee: moments! Glad it is now settled - except for the bird lover. Too bad archery doesn't work on the bloody things!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Too many words.
Does this mean I don't get your stuffs.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Glad you're back and everything is settled, but
two accounts on one computer, something I have very rarely done, and something I don't recommend anyone do.
Is this only a CC thing? We do two accounts on one PC all the time - although never tried it when placing a house

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Glad you're back and everything is settled, but

Is this only a CC thing? We do two accounts on one PC all the time - although never tried it when placing a house
I use two accounts on my laptop all the time and have never had any issues. However, I haven't tried placing a house so maybe there's an issue with that? I'm not sure why that would cause issues though.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whether two account are officially supported or not, in my book this is still a pretty severe bug. Number of accounts logged in should not affect house placement in any way.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
CC. I haven't tested this on EC as I don't play it (only used for item hue and now with the change to deco tool, I don't need it at all).

Cheers
Glad that you are able to stay @Conleth. Looks like you are the type of person that makes this game worth playing. Unlike some of us old cusses (ME first of all, lol). As usually sharing your plight/concern/loss/thoughts here is Stratics helps one way or another. Also MAYBE if the Devs ever visit here they will see without rose-colored glasses the reality of their changes, and maybe eventually steer this ship in the right direction..
Have fun and stay on..:)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
MY guess would be the two CC on the same machine (or maybe just the same IP) "bug" for house placement isn't a bug.

It's probably a back-door way of minimizing the attempts of multi-boxers on house-placement in the wake of IDOCs, that wasn't advertised (for obvious reasons) but doesn't work all that well either (the persons scripting have probably moved on to other methods).