• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ghosts, champ spawns, exorcism

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With all the ghosts wandering around on a script, can we bring back the exorcism spell in necromancy to get rid of them? This ish is ridiculous.

Jennifer-Marie

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
— The exorcism spell never went away? Scribes who already have an exorcism scroll in a Necro spellbook can craft them ... I have 1k currently sitting in a chest of spell scrolls at my crafting castle on GL.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He’s referring to them not working on players. The scroll has never changed yet the effect certainly has.

Spell originally teleported ghost to nearest shrine I believe? Would be nice if the spell worked again. Now when cast on a player what happens?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Spell only designed to work in champ spawns. They get around it by camping outside entrances

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Does the spell actually work? I haven't actually tried to use in in years but I thought the last time I did there was a ghost right by the alter and I tried to use the spell but the ghost didn't move. I'm not sure if there are any requirements to it aside from casting so maybe I did it wrong but coulda sworn the spell didn't work regardless.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It only works inside champ spawn areas, but since they have the auto kick out once your body decays you don't have time to cast it on ghosts. They set all the ghosts outside these areas and run their scripts so it doesn't matter. What needs to be done is make all dungeon areas including all of T2A and couple screens around entrances considered champ areas. Then all this nonsense will be resolved without them having to ban EJ after EJ acct.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It only works inside champ spawn areas, but since they have the auto kick out once your body decays you don't have time to cast it on ghosts. They set all the ghosts outside these areas and run their scripts so it doesn't matter. What needs to be done is make all dungeon areas including all of T2A and couple screens around entrances considered champ areas. Then all this nonsense will be resolved without them having to ban EJ after EJ acct.
Maybe EJ accounts shouldn't be allowed in Champ Spawn areas period. It is funny however that its even worth it to monitor all this. Why not just do the spawn yourself? Is it really that difficult? I never understand the monitoring. Oh well.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is funny however that its even worth it to monitor all this. Why not just do the spawn yourself? Is it really that difficult? I never understand the monitoring. Oh well.
Why do the spawn yourself, when you can wait for some trammie to do it, kill them and take the scrolls? It's double the fun.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always thought the Exorcism spell should work anywhere, it takes care of two issues. Ghost cams outside of the dungeon entrances and people running scripts watching IDOCs in fel. The fact it already requires the corpse to have decayed prevents it being used as a way to grief newly dead people.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And there is exactly the reason this game is literally on life support from the golden era of 250k subscribers.
I'd say this is one of the important reasons. There is a number of other design decisions taken by the dev team over the years that would have surely killed any other game by now. UO is merely in a wheelchair, with an oxygen tank, and being pushed forward by a blind orderly with a limp.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I'd say this is one of the important reasons. There is a number of other design decisions taken by the dev team over the years that would have surely killed any other game by now. UO is merely in a wheelchair, with an oxygen tank, and being pushed forward by a blind orderly with a limp.
You forgot..the orderly is also VERY hard of hearing..

Gunsmoke

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On uoguide.Com it says if you have a corpse inside the champ spawn area then u can't get exorcism, but I'm seeing ghosts running around champ spawn areas with no corpse in the entire spawning zone as the exorcism spell is being casted. On thing I noticed is when champ spawn is over and I re-enter spawn zone I get forced to shrine. So this spell needs to be looked at seeing it's the only one that purtains to only spawns. HELP DEVS!!!!!

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The spell was turned off a long long long time ago. It needs to be turned back on and work everywhere in fel. I kill bot stealthers everyday.

swroberts

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would be happy if all spawns were dormant and had to be activated ... Then once activated... All ghosts and hidden characters were visible, stretching well beyond the champ spawn area, for the first 5 mins or something... Granted there would need a way for reds to become a knight of valor since they could not go to ish to do it... But at least one could decide to continue the spawn if a bunch of bots popped out.... And only 5 minutes allows for normal spawn route reconnaissance.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hey I'm not that old yet! Give me a few dozen years... but no we are mostly approaching retirement... many of us.
Makes a girl wonder though, if so many of us are close to retirement... we may be able to spend more time in game and... dare I say it.... invite others (off course, who are retired and bored out of their minds with nothing to do) to help grow the in-game community that once was?

hmmm...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Makes a girl wonder though, if so many of us are close to retirement... we may be able to spend more time in game and... dare I say it.... invite others (off course, who are retired and bored out of their minds with nothing to do) to help grow the in-game community that once was?

hmmm...
Sadly most folk who ask me what the heck I do with my time off think I'm insane when I say I play online games. They ask me what I play and I tell them... I play Ultima Online... they ask about it .. I tell them it's a fantasy game where I happen to be the Governor of a town... and I enjoy taming dragons and unicorns... living my in-game life nice and quiet... sometimes fishing... or hunting things. That's when they look at me all weird like I'm bonkers and go... what do you get for it? And I say a chance to escape my boring life and just be something else for a while... hang out with friends... talk... And they want to know what we talk about... and I say well the game... The President... whatever the subject is of the day... our last meal or what someone created in the Kitchen today... sometimes we talk about cats... dogs... whatever. I said it's like having all your friends over at your house sitting around playing cards and talking only we don't have cards we have keyboards and we don't really "see" one another we see each others created characters... but we do use Discord and hear each other for the most part but sometimes it's all typing and reading... Sure beats staring at a screen watching TV... not talking... And then they nod and go hum... and I go off to stab people... that's what I do for a living. I look forward to the day when I don't have to get up and go to work... someday I'll get there... but for now I work. Heck probably have to keep working part time just to pay for my gaming...

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Endless Journey accounts???? Why don't we just start calling them what they really are Endless Scripting/Harassment Accounts. If PvPers didn't have to act like a bunch of bratty little kids in need of a serious butt whoopin; we wouldn't have near the problems we have in Game. Heck, they wouldn't have needed to build Tram. Because of a few mentally deranged psychopaths we have Tram which is supposed to be a Haven from that sort of behavior....PANCAKES, NO. They just find new more elaborate ways to act like bratty kids that need a serious butt whoopin, in the tram rule set. It never ends. There is no punishment that they fear: Ban their account. . . Pffft they'll make a a new one. Page a GM. . .They just laugh. Its ridiculous.

Oh, and the crap they spew over general chat. I told one of them once : "if you said that stuff to someone's face in RL, you'd get your face caved in and your butt kicked." The crap spewer replied "So? this is a game; Who cares I can say what want to". There's you problem right there. I think that paying accounts that script, cheat, harass and ghost cam should be flagged and those accounts should have to pay a HIGHER subscription fee. Act like a total pancakehead...Well, your sub just went up. I'd cap it at $25 per month.

As for the Endless Pain-In-The-Rear Accounts. . . Those that repeatedly abuse them get slapped with an IP ban. Also I think another idea would be when you register for an EA account you HAVE to give a credit card. That way if you abuse the game they can trace you and send a "Cease and Desist" order. Granted its a piece of paper but I'd wager that it'd be enough to put a stop to 90% of the crap behavior in game.

After 18 years in UO I am a tired and cranky Veteran Player.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And people called me crazy when I said going to Fel to do spawns was useless... you are always seen... the ghosts are everywhere... they don't even have to pay for them... they can set them up all over to alert them whenever anyone comes near... They know where and when people come to fel to do a spawn...

But no one would believe me. Bet they do now.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mal, I've run with a spsp toon for years. Only in the past few months has it gotten so bad that they are parked everywhere.

Devs.......do something.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mal, I've run with a spsp toon for years. Only in the past few months has it gotten so bad that they are parked everywhere.

Devs.......do something.
IMO the bots are an exploit... someone should put that jerk Mervyn on this on the official forums... he should work to get this exploit fixed like he fixed so many other things that we didn't want fixed... but this would fix something that might be something he doesn't want fixed.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mal, dunno who that is or if you are being facetious or fuh-reelz, but if that dude can help fix this, I'm allllll for it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mal, dunno who that is or if you are being facetious or fuh-reelz, but if that dude can help fix this, I'm allllll for it.
Well he "fixed" pets being awesome on the roof and not spawning extra mobs... Now they do... so if he were to get on this bandwagon maybe he can actually fix a real serious exploit.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMO the bots are an exploit... someone should put that jerk Mervyn on this on the official forums... he should work to get this exploit fixed like he fixed so many other things that we didn't want fixed... but this would fix something that might be something he doesn't want fixed.
This would be a fix majority of the player base would like and support. Mervin would never go for it.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Um, I believe Mervyn got banned from the official forums. I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on that. I can tell you he hasn't been seen since May 22nd

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh again? He's been banned a few times... far as I know. Anyway, I don't post there... @Kyronix knows I won't... so I just send him emails... but I certainly hope they do something about this issue soon.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Have anyone learned anything from the last round of High Seas content? STOP ASKING FOR IMPROVEMENTS! :D

The request of "making the exorcism work" will surely make it so that in addition to necro/SS people will need tracking to track ghost and herding to send them to a shrine which will only be done after 3 attempts and you will need to complete a puzzle each attempt that will spawn a mob of undead for all unsuccessful attempts that will drop no loot. Just leave the spell broken please! :p:hahaha:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have anyone learned anything from the last round of High Seas content? STOP ASKING FOR IMPROVEMENTS! :D

The request of "making the exorcism work" will surely make it so that in addition to necro/SS people will need tracking to track ghost and herding to send them to a shrine which will only be done after 3 attempts and you will need to complete a puzzle each attempt that will spawn a mob of undead for all unsuccessful attempts that will drop no loot. Just leave the spell broken please! :p:hahaha:
Or at least only ask for improvements in Eodon and not where we actually play :D

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wonder why it is always so hard for people to change something once it's implemented. For instance, EJ going to fel. I mean, sure, let it happen. See how it works. Then.....after a few months, revisit it and see how much it is or isn't working and make the appropriate adjustments.

Exorcism.......been f'd up for over a decade.....of human years. Fix it. Make the shrines great again.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think the devs are "failing" at all. I think they do a pretty good job. I still like the game after all this time. However, this cam trash is out of friggin control. They need to get a handle on it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some good ideas were brought up on the other forums.

One was a ghost will see a black screen after 5 mins unless they make themselves visible.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

Bug ghost caming is something that needs to stop..

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Bug ghost caming is something that needs to stop..
I was being sarcastic... agree that it should be stopped. I think a simple fix of making the exorcism spell work as intended would be the logical fix. While in a dungeon setting anytime the spell is cast and there is a ghost on the screen they get sent to a random shrine. This would allow a necro to go clean house at any time. It would also allow pvp tactics to be used when group fighting at a champ spawn; if you kill someone (and have a necro to cast exorcism) you can essentially remove them from the battle field for a few minutes without having them grab their bodies right away.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally, I'd like to see exorcism work all over fel, not just the dungeons/spawn areas. Put a timer on it so they can't be exorcised right away. Maybe the same timer as being in stat after a vvv death or whatever, then you can exorcise them to a shrine. Get on a char with spirit speak and go to outside of dungeon destard. There are always ghosts parked up there.

Devs.....fix this ish.