• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Making Money as a new player beginner level

Hello and well met, can someone give me some suggestion on what to do to make some gold. everything is so expensive and everyone has everything. my toon so far is Mining scribe alchemy. i wanted to try the alchy bods but kinda hard cause i have to buy regs and bottles. i am not asking for handouts just needing some information.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
best way is idocs but there is so much cheating going on and thje dev don't seem to do much. it may be tough to get loot, or anything worth a lot. may get resources. shame

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For a beginner, the best way is to join a good guild. Many kind folks will be happy to help you. It may take some time to find a good guild.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hello and well met, can someone give me some suggestion on what to do to make some gold. everything is so expensive and everyone has everything. my toon so far is Mining scribe alchemy. i wanted to try the alchy bods but kinda hard cause i have to buy regs and bottles. i am not asking for handouts just needing some information.
Getting hooked up with a guild is probably the best as far as getting someone to show you things in-game. Also look in New Players Corner forum here for some tips in the stickies on making gold. And searching in there for a topic might get you other info.

What shard are you on? I'm on Lake Austin and have literally 10s of thousands of regs for the alchy or magery training. But also look on the ground as you mine or travel. Regs spawn randomly. The island of Moonglow is the best for reg spawns I've found. The area around Haven also has regs on the ground.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you don't play on atlantic, by all means make a char there. Its the best shard to start on, due to its population.
Next thing, find out what you're end game will be. (tamer, samp, crafter whatever).
If you make a char on atlantic, make a new char with 50 mining, 50 tinkering.
Make 5-6 other chars with .1 smith, .1 tailoring (rest of skills dosent matter)
goto luna with char 1, and buy .1 smith, .1 tailor.
place all chars in the corner upstairs where they can logout.
You are now able to collect around 42 bods every 18th hour 3 smith, and 3 tailor. (you can also buy .1 alchemy/scribe and collect alchemy/bods bods if u so desire)
now goto brittain mg, head for the stables, buy a pack llama.
locate one of the forges near the mountain, and mine away.
When you have enough ingots, go sell them in luna to the tinker (or sell them to players)
When you have around 20k gold, start looking at VS to buy a cheap LRC suit.
Then you buy magery skill from mage NPC. train magery till around 70-100.
now mine some more till u get another 10k.
now buy 2 bod books for each of youre chars.
After around 2 weeks u have 84 bods on each of your toons. (keep training mining)
now use gen chat and sell reset bods for 2k a bod. Now you should have around 1mill ++ if everything goes well.
you should also have gm'ed mining by now, and here comes the "big" bucks.
use VS to see ingot prices, and start selling ingot in various colors deed them in 1k, people like that the most.
Now you have gold to start an alchemist, or whatever u want.
So basically u just login 1 time a day collect bods, log out again or train your miner. (cant get more easiere than this)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When you have around 20k gold, start looking at VS to buy a cheap LRC suit. ...
use VS to see ingot prices, and start selling ingot in various colors deed them in 1k, people like that the most.
PS, before anybody asks, VS = vendor search. Click on your character in a safe spot like the inn to get the menu

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel your problem.....

That's a ladder to climb that not only affects new players, but also returning ones, though....

A good way to make a consistent income, is through selling high demand consumables on your vendor such as Powder of Fortifications which you get through Bulk Order Deeds (your character needs some Blacksmithying in order to claim them and you can "bribe" the NPCs to get a better BOD thus moving up with the Deed until you get anything that could be used to claim a Powder of Fortification), also Powder of Translocation sells consistently, usually, Translocation Powder - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia since it is needed to recharge the Ball of Pets' Summoning as well as the Bag of Sending...

Another things which also sells, is Orange petals, but, if you do not have a Garden Bed it is quite a pain to grow plants that make them...

And then, the one "big" way to make gold is by attending EM Events on the Shard you play and try to get a drop for an EM Item.... it is not easy to get a drop but, if you get one, they usually sell as rares for tens if not over a hundred millions of gold...

Scrolls of Trascendence Scroll of Transcendence - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia which you can find in various ways included from Treasure Chests in Felucca only, though, Treasure Maps – Ultima Online and from Trader's Quests Trader Quests – Ultima Online

If you are lucky to get several SoTs in wanted skills, they can easily sell for millions....

Since, frequently, rich players tend not to want to get involved into "menial tasks", and prefer to simply "buy" whatever they need, rather then spend their time gathering it, usually a good way to make some money is to get these consumables which are always on demand and sell them to players who have the money to spend, and who do not want to use their time in the game to gather them, though......

Welcome tu UO !!

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you're on Baja, ask in General Chat for something you need.
Gold comes from killing monsters or from picking it up after a dead champ or from others buying something you have.

o Create characters for all your character slots, or all-but-one if you're going to be doing character transfers to/from other shards.
o Gain skills. Sampire and tamer are a couple of good career paths. Some of my friends like to be mages or archers.
o I'm a skill-less freak. Most people don't like to do that. Don't be a skill-less freak like me.
o It may take you a while to get the +20 skill scrolls and the +25 stat scrolls and the Exodus +5 stat scroll.

Kill monsters. Take their gold. Repeat.
Gather commodities such as the special imbuing ingredients. Sell to others.
Craft "powder charge" and sell to others -- or combat plunderbeacons for mythic cargo.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would suggest you go to the EM Events on your shard... spend lots of time looting corpses there and making some... you can make a good bit of gold doing this...

I also agree with doing Trade Quests and getting gold and Scrolls of Transcendence this way... they sell well sometimes the signs you get sell ok as well. It's easy enough and you can remember the lay of the land doing this...

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i made alot of gold (or at least what i considered alot at the time) while training characters by selling arrows. gathered off ratmen archers by the gypsy camps way south / southeast of compassion moongate. i would also buy arrows at the cheap bowyers, for around 10 to 15 gp each, then resell to the expensive boyers like luna or more popular towns. easy way to double or triple your money buying / selling between npcs.

theres about 50 arrows per ratman, atlantic luna vendor right now is 35gp. so thats about 1,750 gold per ratman archer. of course price goes down everytime you sell but you can move to another npc.

gypsy.png

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How I start a fresh shard:

Make a gargoyle with 50 magery and 50 mystic. Use your 1000 gold to buy 40 hiding and all the level 1/2/3/4 scrolls for your spellbook. (Typically from the moonglow mage shop). Last bit of gold to buy regs for heal, cure, and night sight. (You start with about 40 of each so that helps).

Next find a portal to underworld and fly as quickly as you can through the maze to Navrey’s lair. If there are people there killing her, wait patiently for the corpse to go public and look for LRC items you can wear, untranslated tomes, and any leftover gold. If there are not people killing her, learn the pillar pattern and use the rock drop to kill her (usually takes about 4 cycles to kill her so be patient). Loot as before watching for night eyes glasses, tangle, or pink scrolls.

I usually do this until I get a tangle. Unless I’m really lucky, I usually end up with a full lrc suit in the process and use it to train spell casting between rock drops. Once I get a tangle I sell it in general chat for a decent discount (can easily get 8-10 million on most shards, more on a few) and use those funds to provide basic setup for new characters. (Full spell books, basic suits, runebooks, house placement if needed, etc)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How I start a fresh shard:

Make a gargoyle with 50 magery and 50 mystic. Use your 1000 gold to buy 40 hiding and all the level 1/2/3/4 scrolls for your spellbook. (Typically from the moonglow mage shop). Last bit of gold to buy regs for heal, cure, and night sight. (You start with about 40 of each so that helps).

Next find a portal to underworld and fly as quickly as you can through the maze to Navrey’s lair. If there are people there killing her, wait patiently for the corpse to go public and look for LRC items you can wear, untranslated tomes, and any leftover gold. If there are not people killing her, learn the pillar pattern and use the rock drop to kill her (usually takes about 4 cycles to kill her so be patient). Loot as before watching for night eyes glasses, tangle, or pink scrolls.

I usually do this until I get a tangle. Unless I’m really lucky, I usually end up with a full lrc suit in the process and use it to train spell casting between rock drops. Once I get a tangle I sell it in general chat for a decent discount (can easily get 8-10 million on most shards, more on a few) and use those funds to provide basic setup for new characters. (Full spell books, basic suits, runebooks, house placement if needed, etc)
I also like starting on a new shard with a gargoyle with 50 magery and 50 mystic - I also create an imbuer with 50 imbuing and 50 magery - the imbuer can put 100 LRC on cloth armor bought in Ter Mur, and he can also imbue some +24 magery jewelry - off and running
PS, that Navery idea is pretty cool - never thought of that for a new character