• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Confused about the new Treasure Hunter

Ruby Knight

Sage
Stratics Veteran
After reading everything I could find I am still quite confused. What are the BASE skills now needed for Treasure Hunting?
Is it:
Cartography
Remove Trap

Looks like Lockpicking and Mining are no longer needed.

I just want to know what you HAVE to have to build a T-Hunter. I know the rest of the template will be user's choice. What are the CORE skills? Please assume I am talking about a SOLO Hunter. Thanks!

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wait I missed something, when was it decided we wont need LP?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
After reading everything I could find I am still quite confused. What are the BASE skills now needed for Treasure Hunting?
Is it:
Cartography
Remove Trap

Looks like Lockpicking and Mining are no longer needed.

I just want to know what you HAVE to have to build a T-Hunter. I know the rest of the template will be user's choice. What are the CORE skills? Please assume I am talking about a SOLO Hunter. Thanks!
I think instead of starting a brand new thread on this you should check out the post on the T-Hunting changes that's been ongoing in this same forum.
T Hunting changes

Everything is being discussed in that thread. Long story short - nothing is finalized yet so there aren't any concrete answers. Head over to the other thread to comment & weigh in though!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Bottom line, there is no indication you won't need lockpicking
Also, it seems like everybody is going to be building a thunter now to see what it's like, so expect longer lines for miasma :( I asked them to create more sources for L6 maps but have not heard any indication they're going to do that

Ruby Knight

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I read that entire thread and am still confused. That is why I started a thread to give the Core Skills needed. It would make it easier than slogging through 5+ pages and not seeing the info anywhere.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also, even if you will need remove trap, Kyronix said they're going to change the way you build the skill, so I'm waiting until then before I change anything

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think lockpicking is still going to be required it just isn’t on the TC right now so people can see the loot and use remove trap easier. Just what I heard.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The core is the same. You need cartography, lock picking for sure. If you fail at the lock, items are destroyed.

Cartography replaces what mining did. They will most likely add remove trap or items are destroyed.

So those 3 skills. RT will not need detect hidden.

Also they are toying with group play and luck to get more or better items.

The new design has potential to be fun.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So,
Gm cart
Gm LP
Gm RT... leaves 420...
Gm mage
110 taming
110 lore
Gm vet
Or...
120 taming
120 lore
Gm vet
80 magery with jewels...

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
from what was said in the other thread i tweaked my current T Hunter on Sonoma to this:

105 Taming
105 Animal Lore
100 Vet
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
100 Remove Trap
110 Magic

it was a easy tweak for me, all i had to do was take off mining and put on remove trap as they are saying cartography will work the same as mining.

then my suit has that mask with taming and lore and my ring and bracelet get me up to 120/120 taming/lore.
suit just needs 40 LMC and as much MR as you can get and everything will be good.

***** that is IF they run with what they are currently testing!!!!!

also, they say they are disconnecting detect hidden from RT, i wonder if that is for ALL type chests even the dungeon chests????
and while they said they will be making a easy way to train RT i currently know how to train it so i worked it now and got it done with, my rational being that a lot of the time what they think is fast and what i think is fast are TOTALLY different! i know how to train it now so i jumped in and got it done.

i hope they make the loot good or at least worth while.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I would suggest bringing a second (or more?) character to help fight instead of redoing all my skills

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think lockpicking is still going to be required it just isn’t on the TC right now so people can see the loot and use remove trap easier. Just what I heard.
Right now on TC the chests are not locked at all, so all you do is dig it up, kill the mobs, and loot the chest. Sometimes you don't even have to kill all of the guardian mobs in order to loot the chest. My guess is that you will eventually need cartography, lock picking, and remove trap in order to locate, dig up, and successfully open chests after the publish hits. That's just a guess, though. Nothing definite's been said yet about no longer being able to use telekinesis spell, nor if we will also need detect hidden skill in order to be able to use remove trap to disarm chests. Kyronix did say today that cartography's not going to go over 100, but there will some new items added, like mining gloves?, and I believe that the intention is to have the highest cartography you can and use those items in order to dig up a gold chest every time, rather than a rusty or metal one.

If you feel like testing stuff on TC, there is a place on every facet where you can click on a post to generate a map of whatever you want that will be located in that facet. You can get to each facet's map-spawning location via gates at the commons area in Britain (Trammel).

You sometimes have to wait a minute or two before you can decode the maps from the clickies, but Kyronix says the wait is purely a function of the system trying to keep up with generating the locations if you're pulling lots of maps at once. If you put a map in one of the Davie's lockers, the theme that it shows in the locker is not necessarily what the theme will be when you pull it out of the locker. Just keep putting it back in the locker and pulling it out again until you get the theme you want. (You won't be able to change the theme this way once the publish hits. Kyronix has said that only the map location of an uncompleted map will change after 30 days. Facet, level, and theme will stay the same.) If you transfer a locker over to TC, expect that it might show errors for a day or two when you look at the listing. The maps will still work, though.

If you want to place a house on TC right now, the only thing you can place is a keep-sized plot because of the housing contest. Kyronix said today the shard isn't going to be wiped when we get to testing the MIB changes.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Activating the requirement to have rt will deactivate a lot of TH. Until the RT skill is trained up again.
I assume broadsword will sell more mythic token in the future.
Did they think about adding rt as a start skill with 50 skill points?

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really don't understand why it's going to change because it doesn't logically make sense to me. I know it's a game and not the real world.

But to me it makes sense to have cartography to decode a map. Then your group goes there to the map location then what? Wish the chest up out of the ground? No you use a shovel or another tool with a skill called mining! Then from there you should have the choice of how you open the chest. Anyone else play D&D back in the day? Hehe

Then with SOS/mibs you get the coordinates and then you can use a sextant to locate but no one does and uses UOAM or something. Then you sail your boat to the location and pull it up with your fishing skill then open the chest.

Soo if they're getting rid of the skill to actually dig up treasure map chests that are buried why don't they remove fishing for SOS/mibs? I don't want that to happen I'm just being snarky because I'm confused and hate this! I don't get it.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone still using a solo template that is not a tamer? And without a group I will never reach high-end content?
Yep, still using my Mystic, probably slower than tamer but I been at it for years and it's fun to me, now we're gonna have to change and I don't have the numbers to add the RT so I have to lose some high end skill to get that. Not happy either, it's been fun and all I wanted to see was some new loot and graphics stuff and instead we get to reincarnate a dead skill that needs to have a gentle resting place instead of a resurrection.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think they dropped the ball on this, then it rolled really far away from them.....I suppose the 5 people who kept Remove Trap on a soulstone for years will be happy. They did what they always do, bait and switch, they knew people wouldn't agree to Remove Trap right off so they implied it would only be used for extra stuff or a secret compartment. After everyone said that was a great idea they closed the thread and carried on with the real plan which was to just add the need for Remove Trap to everyone. Now they say that the secret compartment was just a vague idea, it was never intended to actually happen. Shame on us for being fooled so many times....

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I really don't understand why it's going to change because it doesn't logically make sense to me. I know it's a game and not the real world.

But to me it makes sense to have cartography to decode a map. Then your group goes there to the map location then what? Wish the chest up out of the ground? No you use a shovel or another tool with a skill called mining! Then from there you should have the choice of how you open the chest. Anyone else play D&D back in the day? Hehe

Then with SOS/mibs you get the coordinates and then you can use a sextant to locate but no one does and uses UOAM or something. Then you sail your boat to the location and pull it up with your fishing skill then open the chest.

Soo if they're getting rid of the skill to actually dig up treasure map chests that are buried why don't they remove fishing for SOS/mibs? I don't want that to happen I'm just being snarky because I'm confused and hate this! I don't get it.
your totally contradicting yourself.
you say you understand we need cartography to decode the map but you don't understand why we need Remove Trap to...... wait for it..... remove the trap from the chest.

i honestly don't understand why everyone is so upset that they are actually going to use a skill for what its suppose to be used for.

its not like the skill is called Remove Cake or Remove Zits and they are just throwing some random skill in there to make everyone's life hell.

they are making you use Remove Trap to Remove a trap, makes sense!

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't see how you think I'm contradicting myself. I didn't mention anything about remove trap.

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Remove Trap is not going to be needed but very helpful since you cant use Magery spells on chests anymore. You could just take the damage but you will lose a good amount of items each time giving you basically nothing in chests.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
We found one of them!
so this is funny.
i do in fact have remove trap worked up on a few characters.
in fact i have it one every shard in game.... BUT its on another account that is different from the account which holds on T Hunter on every shard.
so if i wanted to swap it over i couldnt, different accounts.

(and i had all those remove trap for back when the guild i was in took over Factions on every shard in the game)

so i have to work it up just like everyone else.

well, not like everyone else, ive done it like 29 times already so i have it down to a science!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I bit the bullet and bought six soulstones so I can train remove trap on the six shards where I have my best treasure hunters. Like Poo, I have it trained already on a couple of shards, but not on the accounts that have my treasure hunters. My gut feeling is that we're going to need it. Not happy about it, though.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm using my regular treasure hunter on test. I swapped out RT for mining, everything else is as was Myst, SW, mage, cart, lp, bit of focus. Doing ok. Got RT trained on a char I don't use much and stoned it.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was a good run for T-hunting. I enjoyed it, even tho there were a few stealth loot nerfs, IMO.
But RT spells the end of the era for me as a T-Hunter.

It was bad enough my crafters all had to train arms lore (in the name of making useless skills great again) to compete with others.
It'll be a cold day in hell (the way I feel right now) when I train RT.

Gonna be interesting to see, with the goods in chests now, how long the rest of yall keep it up. I'll know in 6 months when the fervor dies down, and maps quit selling again...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was a good run for T-hunting. I enjoyed it, even tho there were a few stealth loot nerfs, IMO.

It was bad enough my crafters all had to train arms lore (in the name of making useless skills great again) to compete with others.

Gonna be interesting to see, with the goods in chests now, how long the rest of yall keep it up. I'll know in 6 months when the fervor dies down, and maps quit selling again...
I can not find it but someone asked about the new maps having a lower trash value than the old ones. He responded by saying the old ones will be adjusted. Check the values before this goes live to see if you need to trash lower ones in advance.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Real life...
Remove a trap on a chest? Hand me that axe please, I'll remove it for you.
OR,
Hey! Want that trap removed? I'm a lockpicker! No one is better at removing traps than a lockpicker!
This proposed change isn't what most of us were talking about needing to be done. If it was a useless skill in TH let it remain a useless skill in TH. This is like deciding to add RT in order to get a 120 scroll to drop in your pack.
And I've always been the cheerleader of cheerleaders. Bad move.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I would like to think that if I were whisked back in time to a medieval type setting, and asked to dig up a treasure chest, I would simply go find a shovel, not join the Miners Guild first for experience.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

Lets not all be that pessimistic @Uriah Heep . They are still working on the new T-hunting system, especially the loot table, and trying to adjust it. So although whats on TC1 is not all that hot, there may be light at the end of the tunnel..And that includes the Triton, that content is not finalized yet, including its not so attractive graphic..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Lets not all be that pessimistic @Uriah Heep . They are still working on the new T-hunting system, especially the loot table, and trying to adjust it. So although whats on TC1 is not all that hot, there may be light at the end of the tunnel..And that includes the Triton, that content is not finalized yet, including its not so attractive graphic..
Everything I have seen, read and heard so far is NOT giving me any optimism at all...

The Triton is giving me hope but knowing my luck with the RNG I'm not holding my breath on getting a decent one in 20 tries...

The loot so far that I've seen is just as crap as it always has been... I fail to see any improvement at all in it. Until the DEVs figure out what is and isn't crap in this game they will never get it right. No one uses 95% of the weapons out there... so putting those in the chests over the ones people actually DO use is at first poor... Since they nerfed most things and the specials on a majority of weapons are just junk most folk never touch them... again I say if they just observed what people DO use and wear... going to an EM Event or two... checking Reds in Fel etc... they would know what people want...

Most combinations I find on armor, weapons or Jewelry won't work for mages and won't work for dexer/warrior types because it's such a messed up combination of both that it works for neither of them... always missing crucial elements of either one to make it useless...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No one uses 95% of the weapons out there...
I would really like to see 1 Bow that someone has found as loot that is better than what I can Imbue.

I think that 95% is too low. 99.99% seems to be closer.

I asked him to add a property to a blank Bow and let us imbue it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would really like to see 1 Bow that someone has found as loot that is better than what I can Imbue.

I think that 95% is too low. 99.99% seems to be closer.

I asked him to add a property to a blank Bow and let us imbue it.
found one that was close once... but nope... missing mana leech..

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I still don't get it. We want every item found as loot to be better than the last? Why not just make all items the same.

I really just can't wrap my head around this. If there was a 5% chance of finding useful equipment on a corpse, everyone would have all the best stuff after about, what, like 1000 kills or so? Then you'd all be geared up and complaining that you want better stuff... Oh.... Wait.... That's exactly whats happening now. Except the chances of finding good loot aren't that high. The problem is the longevity of the stuff, you would have to be able to lose the stuff so that you need to keep looking for more. But then you'd cry because you don't want to lose stuff. Y'all want to have your cake and eat it too. Am I the only one who sees this?

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I still don't get it. We want every item found as loot to be better than the last? Why not just make all items the same.

I really just can't wrap my head around this. If there was a 5% chance of finding useful equipment on a corpse, everyone would have all the best stuff after about, what, like 1000 kills or so? Then you'd all be geared up and complaining that you want better stuff... Oh.... Wait.... That's exactly whats happening now. Except the chances of finding good loot aren't that high. The problem is the longevity of the stuff, you would have to be able to lose the stuff so that you need to keep looking for more. But then you'd cry because you don't want to lose stuff. Y'all want to have your cake and eat it too. Am I the only one who sees this?
Every Hack and Slash game is like that. Try Diablo 3. The difference is their team adds new things to kill and they balance out the many different templates as good as they can so players keep wanting to find better stuff.

UO has always been about the stuffs.

If you think your stuff is too good, Ill gladly take it.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Every Hack and Slash game is like that. Try Diablo 3. The difference is their team adds new things to kill and they balance out the many different templates as good as they can so players keep wanting to find better stuff.
UO isn't every other hack 'n slash game. You certainly haven't been playing it for as long as you have because of the devs ability to keep adding new things while keeping everything balanced.

UO has always been about the stuffs.
There was a time when there really wasn't a lot of variety in equipment and the best stuff wasn't incredibly uncommon. Then they brought in the stuff that requires spreadsheets and insurance.

If you think your stuff is too good, Ill gladly take it.
You would laugh at my equipment. I'll give you anything that I have, I can replace a suit in 10 minutes.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually doing away with insurance, and not giving out anymore PoF would be great for the game. That's why the power creep (IMO) is so bad, nothing worth using ever gets lost, until it gets tossed for something even better.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Actually doing away with insurance, and not giving out anymore PoF would be great for the game. That's why the power creep (IMO) is so bad, nothing worth using ever gets lost, until it gets tossed for something even better.
I'd even go one step further and drop max durability to about 40 on all weapons and armor. Then mobs can stop dropping anything below lesser artifact level. It would be really easy to farm up a decent suit if you needed one and not too big a deal if you lost something. Finding that perfect weapon or armor piece wouldn't be that uncommon but it's only going to last you maybe 20 repairs before repairing it starts getting annoying.

We could start a new thread and discuss this idea more, but I'm sure all we would hear is "I paid 50 plat for my suit, I want to keep it forever!" The problem is that the system is already FUBAR. If they implemented this I might come back to production shards and start doing PvM stuff again. For now, the best that I can do is continue playing like this system is already in place. I don't repair my equipment, the durability that I get is how long the item lasts, I use my stuff until it breaks. I don't use insurance because I'm on Siege, but I never used it on prodo either. Insurance is a waste when you don't keep equipment for more that a few hours of fighting. If I die, sometimes I don't even make an attempt to get my corpse. I just grab something medable for each spot and that's it, I don't even bother looking at the properties anymore, except for jewelery because DCI is way too important, I have to have at least some DCI. In my opinion HCI and DCI need to be removed from the game completely, but I am sure I'm in the minority there as well.