• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet not boarding plunderbeacon

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it just me or has it become much MUCH harder to get a pet to board a plunderbeacon and kill the orcish crew?

So, is this a mage / archer fest or what?
Omelet.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wasn't aware that a pet could board it in the first place, cast an RC onto it, yes, a pet....hrm

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't you have to log off and on at each orc to get the pet back?

I am happy I got to dust off my Archer Bard.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't you have to log off and on at each orc to get the pet back?
No.
Prior to the alleged recent change, the pet that boarded could run from one to another crew on one side easily, and could be persuaded to get started on the other side.
I could then set it to melee-attacking the lighthouse.
An "all follow me" would bring the pet back to climbing onto my ship.

If I had wanted the pet back before it had finished the job, I could Recall to my own ship, moving myself only a few paces and automatically bringing the bonded pet with me.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From the beginning I noticed that evs did not move from orc to orc. The player would dispel and send a new one.

I do not have a magery mastery pet on my archer tamer.

Can a player Tele to the beacon?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've only seen my Unicorn teleport onto the beacon once... that was it.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ive never had any of my pets go over to the beacon.
ever.

and ive used flying pets (dragons) and spell-casting (teleport) pets all the time.

i wonder.... are you using a old boat with the boarding planks???

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No I was using a new boat and my Unicorn and my Serpentine Dragon both have the Magery Mastery... which means they teleport at will whenever...

But only ONCE have either of them done it and it was the Unicorn... that was many, many beacons ago... since he hasn't done it ever again... he does and they both do teleport onto the pirate ships all the time...

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No I was using a new boat and my Unicorn and my Serpentine Dragon both have the Magery Mastery... which means they teleport at will whenever...

But only ONCE have either of them done it and it was the Unicorn... that was many, many beacons ago... since he hasn't done it ever again... he does and they both do teleport onto the pirate ships all the time...
A nightmare does it constantly, damned annoying when you are going from beacon to beacon and they board the nearest pirate ship while en route

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A nightmare does it constantly, damned annoying when you are going from beacon to beacon and they board the nearest pirate ship while en route
It can be very annoying... especially when then said pirate ship after you get your pet back from it decides to come attack you in the middle of doing the Beacon... had that happen a few times... out of nowhere..

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It can be very annoying... especially when then said pirate ship after you get your pet back from it decides to come attack you in the middle of doing the Beacon... had that happen a few times... out of nowhere..
you forgot to invis your pet.

Turkish

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I haven't had any luck getting my Magery Mastery nightmare to board a plunderbeacon. I designed it just for that purpose, too. It made its way over to an orc ship once though. I've found that casting EVs and death ray is most effective for me so far. But I have noticed that the EVs don't move as freely as they originally did. They seem to get stuck trying to get to the bottom (east most?) orc and can't reach it.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
just like everything in uo, not every template will be good to use. for beacons, ranged/archer/thrower seems to be best. if you only use one or 2 templates, u will have these kind of issues throughout your uo gameplay.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ya know its funny, ive done probably 100 plunderbuckets and probably 200 pirate and merchant boats and my pets - all which have magery and or magery mastery - non have ever left the boat.

strange.

thankfully im on my archer tamer so its not a concern but its strange non the less.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Basically, flying pets can run across the bow and onto the plunderbeacon.
... inconsistently, and with a lot of coaxing.
I've done this with a greater dragon too, not just the magery mastery pet.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Basically, flying pets can run across the bow and onto the plunderbeacon.
... inconsistently, and with a lot of coaxing.
I've done this with a greater dragon too, not just the magery mastery pet.
Funny my Fire Drake would stand at the tip of the bow but never get onto the beacon...

Fortunately though that's why I take Malag so he can shoot the orcs... way faster than the pets kill them anyway.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The reason that sometimes summons just stand there is that they sometimes get targeted by an orc elsewhere on the beacon or a nearby water spawn, before they can target the nearest orc, and fixate on that other, until the other dies (then the targeting procedure can still end up targeting something other than the nearest orc, if under attacks by multiple creatures still).

It's common enough seen to happen anywhere you drop a summons into a group, not just plunderbeacons, that that should have been the first thought.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay.
The new sweet spot is the bottom corner. You have to be right up against the plunderbeacon.
It still takes a fair bit of coaxing to move the pet from the near side to the far side.
all stop
all follow
all guard me
all stay
(use as necessary for orc crew and lighthouse -- remember to carry food for the pet)

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
and hit the lighthouse with at least one cannonball. If you don't, there's a chance you don't get a cargo.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ya know its funny, ive done probably 100 plunderbuckets and probably 200 pirate and merchant boats and my pets - all which have magery and or magery mastery - non have ever left the boat.

strange.

thankfully im on my archer tamer so its not a concern but its strange non the less.
It happens the most when the pet is guarding me. That quick attack they do when guarding must trigger it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He is on the Endangered Species List. You need to fill out a lot of paperwork and buy permits.