• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Triton - Is it happening?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
With all the chatter going on about the new T-hunting changes, I feel like the Triton release has been almost silent (unless I'm looking in the wrong places).

It appears that the Triton giver on TC was removed for the map givers so I'd assume the testing on the Triton is over; so does anyone know if there has been a final patch notes (I'm calling it a patch because the Rising Tide RELEASE was done last month sans Tritons...so adding them in seems like it has to be a patch) posted on the Triton's final stats, how much they will cost, and the expected date Tritons will hit live shards?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To my understanding (but I could have understood it as all wrong...), the Triton might be coming up as a Reward at the Pirate in Buc's Den for Doubloons sometimes in May....

I am not sure though, whether it will be underwhelming as I have heard from other players....

Also, it is unclear whether, albeit as coming at the same cost in Doubloons for all players, it will come with "random" Stats or with the same stats for all....

If it will come with random stats I do not like it because, for the same cost in doubloons, there will be players who will get lower quality Tritons and players who will get better quality Tritons.... yet, all players spending the same doubloons for them....

Not good, IMHO if it will be like this...

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
To my understanding (but I could have understood it as all wrong...), the Triton might be coming up as a Reward at the Pirate in Buc's Den for Doubloons sometimes in May....

I am not sure though, whether it will be underwhelming as I have heard from other players....

Also, it is unclear whether, albeit as coming at the same cost in Doubloons for all players, it will come with "random" Stats or with the same stats for all....

If it will come with random stats I do not like it because, for the same cost in doubloons, there will be players who will get lower quality Tritons and players who will get better quality Tritons.... yet, all players spending the same doubloons for them....

Not good, IMHO if it will be like this...
I'm not so worried about the randomized stats as long as the doubloon price is fair (100k or less)... there is a reason I am doing plunderbeacons to build up points (and it's not for decorations) and people are more than capable of doing the same to earn more Triton attempts.

But it sounds like nothing has really been confirmed from the devs on this... maybe @Kyronix can give some feedback here on an expected date to see Tritons on a live shard?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not so worried about the randomized stats as long as the doubloon price is fair (100k or less)... there is a reason I am doing plunderbeacons to build up points (and it's not for decorations) and people are more than capable of doing the same to earn more Triton attempts.

But it sounds like nothing has really been confirmed from the devs on this... maybe @Kyronix can give some feedback here on an expected date to see Tritons on a live shard?
Only 2 months left so I would say it is next. 100M is too low. They will do the promo on chatsnap soon, unless they stop doing that.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
100,000,000 is to few points for a pet, with the differebce being around 900 training points?

Im thinking 100,000 sounds about right. There are people that can play 12 hours a day, and those that get that much a week to play.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
100k would be a joke, that is same as the deco parrot. 125k for a deco cannon.

My guess is 500k.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
100,000,000 is to few points for a pet, with the differebce being around 900 training points?

Im thinking 100,000 sounds about right. There are people that can play 12 hours a day, and those that get that much a week to play.
I think @Pawain meant 100K. That said, my thought is, IF they still release the damned thing, it will probably be around 300-500K doubloons. Any more would be a disservice to the players who aren't playing every day. @Kyronix

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
there's no way they'd price it under a mil - it's so easy to get a mil :)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
It would be hard to believe that it would be anything but a disappointment and a let down. First of all the graphic they used takes the cake. Then it looks like its not going to be a rideable pet? Then really-really? The stats .. is it 900 extra points? And how many hours of content will it take to get this? When you pop the statuette, will it have random stats (for 100,000,000 Doubloons each or how many hours to get the doublooons, etc?).
I bet they are considering Charybdis Drop, PLUS Doubloons as a different option for the Doubloon-rich folk..
Ahaa!..I look over the corner and see the shadow of a UO Billionaire with 400 Plats in bank, waiting for someone to get a Triton so he can buy it..
Sad state of affairs with all this fuss for an ugly worm-like pet that is also not rideable! It really looks like crap.:devil:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You will have a herd of Garden Slugs.
What for ?

I heard, by some who messed around with it a little on test, that it could come out to be a Tameable of a quite an underwhelming performance.... meaning that there could be better alternatives or regularly spawning different tameables.... and perhaps better looking too....

We'll see...

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would be hard to believe that it would be anything but a disappointment and a let down. First of all the graphic they used takes the cake. Then it looks like its not going to be a rideable pet? Then really-really? The stats .. is it 900 extra points?
The Triton is actually pretty damn powerful. Innate healing, no wasted Specials, Wrest up to 130 (saving the 30+ Mill gold cost and 200 TP cost of a 120 Wrest PS), Resist up to 190 (170+ is virtually immune to debuffs), DEX up to 210 (movement speed caps at 190), Energy Resist up to 90 (3rd most important resist). A properly leveled, fully scrolled 5 slot Disco+Conductive Blast or Chiv+AI Triton can still reach 900+ Health.
And this is the "nerfed" Triton. The original Tritons were full blown Godly.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would be hard to believe that it would be anything but a disappointment and a let down.
It's ALREADY a HUGE disappointment. It SHOULD have been released when the WOLRD WIDE PUBLISH went live. But no, @Kyronix decided we all wanted the stupid titles, and cannon's more. Kind of like he thinks the loot on the new treasure chests is in ANY shape, form, or fashion an "upgrade".

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Triton is actually pretty damn powerful. Innate healing, no wasted Specials, Wrest up to 130 (saving the 30+ Mill gold cost and 200 TP cost of a 120 Wrest PS), Resist up to 190 (170+ is virtually immune to debuffs), DEX up to 210 (movement speed caps at 190), Energy Resist up to 90 (3rd most important resist). A properly leveled, fully scrolled 5 slot Disco+Conductive Blast or Chiv+AI Triton can still reach 900+ Health.
And this is the "nerfed" Triton. The original Tritons were full blown Godly.
This "up to" deal only sounds good on paper. Do you remember how many GD's you had to go through before you can find one with wrestling close to a cap? Fifty is a conservative number. So with your average player being able to get 1-3 slugs, vast majority will not see anything above 120. Not having to pay 30M for a scroll is nice (if you get that lucky), but depending on the doubloons required, there may be easier ways to get that gold.
What do we have left? No mana wasting specials. This is indeed a good thing, but in my book more than offset by the pet being non-rideable and split damage. I agree with others who say that there are better pets available for a lot less effort.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As it stands right now, it could go either way for the Triton. If the price isn't crazy or if the spawn rate to get an overcapped Triton isn't insane then it will be a pet that will certainly be used. Now if it's something crazy like 1M doubloons AND has a very low chance at being overcapped then I'd agree people will stick with using dogs/beetles (or GD) and the much anticipated wait will have all been for nothing.

I understand that as usual the devs are concerned about something new being overpowered and completely skewing game play. Honestly the second to last thing I actually want is to see something so overpowered and so easy to get that it's all I see for PvM and PvP (making it rideable and stats like it originally had made it too OP - sorry)... that said the LAST thing I want to see is the Dragon Turtle v2.0 because they are pointless to use (a non-flying GD?) :)

It makes sense if the devs want to make sure they get it right, I get it. What I DON'T get (and the point of my original post) is that they are radio silent on the topic now. I would at least expect for them to give us some feedback as to where they stand or what they are thinking so we have an idea. :(

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I personally feel that the reason it hasn't been released yet is because @Kyronix KNOWS there is going to be MASSIVE feedback when it DOES "arrive". The devs are trying to "stall" for as long as they can, to keep the players interested in the content. In MY case it BACKFIRED!

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna herself said it would be a reward from the Pirate in Buc's at one of the M&Gs. She didnt say price but confirmed it to be a reward. Now with that being said, New rewards will come out each month so look for it each month.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This "up to" deal only sounds good on paper. Do you remember how many GD's you had to go through before you can find one with wrestling close to a cap? Fifty is a conservative number. So with your average player being able to get 1-3 slugs, vast majority will not see anything above 120. Not having to pay 30M for a scroll is nice (if you get that lucky), but depending on the doubloons required, there may be easier ways to get that gold.
What do we have left? No mana wasting specials. This is indeed a good thing, but in my book more than offset by the pet being non-rideable and split damage. I agree with others who say that there are better pets available for a lot less effort.
I popped 15 Tritons a few days before TC got wiped for the T-Chest Revamp. Only 1 of them was below 120 Wrest. Most pets with elemental damage are split damage, the only ones that aren't are the Fire Beetle, Frost Mite, and Crimson/Platinum Drakes. With how often a Chiv+AI Triton uses AI due to no wasted specials, the split damage isn't a big deal. Plus, the Triton can learn Conductive Blast, halving the opponent's Energy Resist and therefore boosting his own damage output.

Look at the craze for pre-patch WWs. Why are they so valuable? Overcapped STR, and no wasted specials. The Triton is even more powerful with overcapped Wrest, no wasted Specials, innate Healing, 85-90 Energy Resist (far better than high Cold Resist), overcapped Resist and overcapped DEX.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, I think they look like solid pets all things considered. Chiv/AI and/or Disco/Conductive should be beastly if built correct. Don't agree w/ folks down on them. They should b a great bonus for garg tamers & new blood in expanding functional pets.

Only thing I keep hoping for (pretty sure its in vain but still hope right?) is that the baby poop colored pseudo lava elemental is just a place holder sprite & when it goes live we get a really sweet looking new pet graphic.

Last edited:

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
a really sweet looking new pet graphi
That would be nice -- if they could get it right. Their artists don't seem to have the ability to get new animated "sprites" working right on classic client. See all the "fix dirty rectangles" posts in the wish list. Lots of them are off-by-one errors on the bounding box.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm also not thrilled by the current pet graphic but if it's a highly usable pet then that's what really matters to me. I think that when it comes to new graphics (at least for CC) the dev team doesn't really come out with 100% new graphics often. Just look at how many items look very similar :)

Let's be honest though; not many people are playing UO these days for the cutting edge graphics (there are WAY better games out there for that purpose). If the Triton was literally a graphic of black square with a "?" in it but had the skills/stats of something like Virtuebane then I'm confident that's all you would see used.

As I've said in some of my previous posts, my biggest issue is the lack of communication about certain content in the recent releases like Tritons (or Tmaps). They catch everyone's attention with something and then kind of go radio silent (Triton & Rising Tide) or become overly vague on details (Treasures & Tmaps). I'd be satisfied with just an update saying the Triton is expected to be released to Prod in May (or June... or September) and will cost between X & Y... or give us an idea on other potential rewards for the Doubloons (maybe let us buy cannons that do more damage). To be honest, I'm getting burnt out on beacon & pirate hunting at this point because the rewards aren't all that great and there isn't a light a the end of the tunnel as far as knowing if/when something worthwhile will be added. This being the case I've found myself doing less of them.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To be honest, I'm getting burnt out on beacon & pirate hunting at this point because the rewards aren't all that great and there isn't a light a the end of the tunnel as far as knowing if/when something worthwhile will be added. This being the case I've found myself doing less of them
After the "bait and switch", I have COMPLETELY quit doing them, since April 1st (when the Triton DIDN'T come out)!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I popped one last one on TC. It had 130 wrestling and good hp/str. So I think I used up my luck...

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I think I used up my luck
Beating dead horse in case Kyronix hasn't seen this rotting stallion yet:
I'd prefer it if all the tritons came with the same stats and skills and potentials initially, with the only differences resulting from training choices.
Reason: The "Random Number Generator" does not appear to be random. The R N G sucks, and for some people it appears to suck more.
I have never gotten a cameo. I have never gotten a crimson cincture. Wherever possible, I'd like randomness out of the picture.
Let's not have the same kind of tragedy with the tritons that we had with the dragon turtle hatchlings.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Beating dead horse in case Kyronix hasn't seen this rotting stallion yet:
I'd prefer it if all the tritons came with the same stats and skills and potentials initially, with the only differences resulting from training choices.
Reason: The "Random Number Generator" does not appear to be random. The R N G sucks, and for some people it appears to suck more.
I have never gotten a cameo. I have never gotten a crimson cincture. Wherever possible, I'd like randomness out of the picture.
Let's not have the same kind of tragedy with the tritons that we had with the dragon turtle hatchlings.
Events always have drops or things you buy with random things.

20th Anniv. spellbooks were not all 50SDI
The up to 30 slayers could have been less than 30 and any slayer type.
the latest 25 slayers were always 25 but random slayer.

The lowest Triton will have as good of a build as an AI Chiv Cu. The Wrestling will give more damage and defense.
I have a few more hours to kill beacons before they come out. I'll get a 130 and one with good starting HP/Str. :devil:

UO is about collections. That is why things are all not the same.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have any functional combat pets ever been static ? Meaning, has any pet players use to fight ever come w/ cookie cutter stats and/or skills ?

Off hand I can’t think of a single combat pet in UO history that didn’t spawn or create with at least somewhat randomized stats and/or skills. I can certainly see the draw for players to desire this but traditionally it goes against the grain.

Also, not trying to stir the pot but it’s standard policy to release press notes on upcoming events in games w/o explicit details as to the how’s or why’s. Most game companies want the PR & word of mouth that accompanies a new development to draw attention but rarely supply the level of detail some of folks here feel obligated to receive. Just sayin’...

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
cookie cutter stats and/or skills ?
The blue beetles and fire beetles come closest.

Repeating for emphasis: "Random" on dragon turtle hatchlings meant "sucks like 39 out of 40 wild greater dragons"

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The blue beetles and fire beetles come closest.

They prob are the closest but in fairness they were never created w/ intent to be true combat pets. Their purpose was function not combat. That they have become functional combat pets is entirely a result of a pet revamp allowing specified training. They are more a result of changes than a planned static build, of which I still can not think of a single example.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well anything is better than the 'slug with legs' but I don't think it's really intended to be a 'water' pet anyway.