• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help...

Proserpina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I reported this bug, searched the EA site for help/bug etc. and found nothing maybe someone knows how to fix this...
As they started putting through these new patches...houses are not loading for me. I cannot see decoration, vendors, auction safes, roofs etc unless I physically run my character onto the house steps. Once I do that then all the deco/vendors/safes etc. appear - however once I step a few screens away and then go back - the house is a blank bamboo floor again.
There's some funky stuff happening with my boat too (and other people's boats I've been on). The boat will disappear and it will look like I'm standing in the middle of the water on a square of wreckage surrounded by cannons. This has happened when I used a Tok boat and my orc boat. It's happened when I was on a friend's boat going after orcs and beacons (I have some funky screenshots). Then tonight when I recalled to my ship there wereparts of a Keep just sitting in the middle of the ocean (when I logged out and back in it wasn't there).
It's 4 am now and I have spent the last 7 hours uninstalling UO - reinstalling UO, making sure there's no hidden files that I missed and that everything was completely deleted before the next new install. It has not worked. I've played with the settings in options, I've googled, I've played with properties in the client..I've used different browsers a couple of times when I have reinstalled it (and yes it's set to run as admin). This is getting very, very annoying - like quit the game annoying and I'm a 21 yr vet.
If anyone has a solution I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance. I posted in Uhall because in the past it's usually the first to come up with a solution that works.

And now, good night fellow sosarian addicts have a beautiful day. :)

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
however once I step a few screens away and then go back - the house is a blank bamboo floor again.

+

we are going to be implementing in our next publish, Forgotten Treasures,

• Auction safes will always load, just as mannequins and vendors do.
  • A new client option will be available that will allow players the choice to load all public housing and see the contents.
Upcoming House Display Options – Ultima Online

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
houses are not loading for me. I cannot see decoration, vendors, auction safes, roofs etc unless I physically run my character onto the house steps. [...]the house is a blank bamboo floor again.
That's the way it's supposed to be. House contents always only loaded when you step onto the plot. The bamboo floor were always bugged in that regard but lately the abuse got out of hand and they got fixed. The blank bamboo floor plots are the real houses as they were designed by their owners.

Proserpina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Full 2 - Copy.png
This is how it used to look just walking around. Now I have to go up onto the house. I've asked friends - they are seeing everything in full. I'm the on;y one who "sees" everything like the picture in the previous post. And it royally sucks.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
View attachment 97264
This is how it used to look just walking around. Now I have to go up onto the house. I've asked friends - they are seeing everything in full. I'm the on;y one who "sees" everything like the picture in the previous post. And it royally sucks.
YOU STALKERS! Why do u want to peek into other players houses without stepping at their door stairs! I love this privacy update + less loading time = less lag. Thats actually a fantastic update and im LUVING IT!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
View attachment 97264
It was never intended to force a house to load without entering it. 99% of the people I met throughout the years lived by that standard and didn't complain. Some people used it to force there pixel junk onto everyone. This has finally stopped again.

I agree the bamboo floor houses look horrible. I don't understand why the owners don't put a proper design up there, like most of us do. But that's their choice ;)

Hope that clears it up for you.

Proserpina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My heroes! lol

I understand why ppl like this I've just gotten used to the psychedelic puke house designs but I can't see vendors (some load some don't) .

Also have a safe on a house with nothing on the roof (no bamboo floors) and you can't see it from the "street" but you can see the vendors (future fix got it!)

Well thank you all, you wonderful people! I knew there would be a response quick and fast.

I am having so many stupid issues right now (such as my macros on one account magically appearing on all characters on a completely separate account so that everyone yells, "FORWARD" for no reason when I tap that key) that I figured something keeps getting screwed up in the download. It would have saved me 7 hours and being up to 4 am had I know this is the new norm *grumbles*.

:heart:Love you all, many thanks!:heart:

Last edited:

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yes and most of us think it's AWESOME... I personally love it... no more being forced to load all that crap and fugly clashing colors... hideous looked like someone's toybox puked all over.
I know right, it was so dumb. Let's get rid of all dye tubs, colored ingots/leather, delete all hued "rares", and take away the house design tools while we are at it!!!

Customization and unique flashy items is what made UO brilliant. Some people were good at customizing... most were not. The fact that they implemented a heavy handed technical fix to appease a few squeaky wheels is the saddest part of all this.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I know right, it was so dumb. Let's get rid of all dye tubs, colored ingots/leather, delete all hued "rares", and take away the house design tools while we are at it!!!

Customization and unique flashy items is what made UO brilliant. Some people were good at customizing... most were not. The fact that they implemented a heavy handed technical fix to appease a few squeaky wheels is the saddest part of all this.
Now you are being silly... Yes Customization is what makes UO wonderful and brilliant... but forcing someone in a way that causes them lag and distress, makes the game unplayable and unfun... it NOT what makes it right.

You can still be creative... you can still design puke if you want... but now you can't FORCE that puke on the rest of the game. It wasn't heavy handed... it was what was needed to allow others to still enjoy the game...

Was one thing when 1 or 2 people were doing it here and there... but when 20 or 30 people were doing it in a small tight area such as Luna ...... it created HAVOC upon the game and everyone else who was trying to play... on a shard where you already had 100's of mobile objects along with 100's more statics and vendors and NPC's and other such things spawning and being loaded it created a place where it hurt gameplay for others...

Now you can take that for whatever it is but it is a FACT... it was causing others to not enjoy UO...

Do others enjoy seeing some of that puke? Maybe... but did others enjoy crashing to desktop with every 4 or 5 steps.... hell no... did others enjoy being unable to shop at vendors because they could hardly move and it took an hour just to walk down one side of the city... NO...

You can tout all day about how awesome the creativity was... but at the end of the day we all know what havoc it was causing the rest of the community.

Now if someone wishes to load your house they can... by stepping on the foundation... as was intended by the original design of the game... Do I expect everyone that walks past my Theatre on GLs to see the massive collection of AoS boots I have on my Balcony???? No... do I want to force them to see it.... NO... Do I care that they can't see the "town" I created on the roof of that same building? No... But I take people to see it from time to time if I find they are like minded and enjoy Design and Deco as much as I do... yes I can do that. But I don't force the whole of GLs to see what I created... I invite them in... I do events there where people can come and see what I've done... at their own choice. BIG difference.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Now you are being silly... Yes Customization is what makes UO wonderful and brilliant... but forcing someone in a way that causes them lag and distress, makes the game unplayable and unfun... it NOT what makes it right.

You can still be creative... you can still design puke if you want... but now you can't FORCE that puke on the rest of the game. It wasn't heavy handed... it was what was needed to allow others to still enjoy the game...

Was one thing when 1 or 2 people were doing it here and there... but when 20 or 30 people were doing it in a small tight area such as Luna ...... it created HAVOC upon the game and everyone else who was trying to play... on a shard where you already had 100's of mobile objects along with 100's more statics and vendors and NPC's and other such things spawning and being loaded it created a place where it hurt gameplay for others...

Now you can take that for whatever it is but it is a FACT... it was causing others to not enjoy UO...

Do others enjoy seeing some of that puke? Maybe... but did others enjoy crashing to desktop with every 4 or 5 steps.... hell no... did others enjoy being unable to shop at vendors because they could hardly move and it took an hour just to walk down one side of the city... NO...

You can tout all day about how awesome the creativity was... but at the end of the day we all know what havoc it was causing the rest of the community.

Now if someone wishes to load your house they can... by stepping on the foundation... as was intended by the original design of the game... Do I expect everyone that walks past my Theatre on GLs to see the massive collection of AoS boots I have on my Balcony???? No... do I want to force them to see it.... NO... Do I care that they can't see the "town" I created on the roof of that same building? No... But I take people to see it from time to time if I find they are like minded and enjoy Design and Deco as much as I do... yes I can do that. But I don't force the whole of GLs to see what I created... I invite them in... I do events there where people can come and see what I've done... at their own choice. BIG difference.
Sorry man - I find cleverness and creativity refreshing. I feel bad for you if you prefer empty bamboo floors... You've obviously never tried to build a house like that and seen how much work actually goes into it.

Maybe you just need a better PC to stop lagging so much? Or maybe the game engine is just 20 years old and doesn't support loading a **** ton of objects in a efficient way *cough* 12 tile load radius *cough*... I've never crashed in Luna, and it's still laggy even without all these rogue custom houses!

Yes it WAS heavy handed. The bamboo flooring had been that way for how many years, and some whiners recently started a big stink about it to force action. They could have put some thought into it and allowed custom stone blocks to still be visible on bamboo and not loaded every other item in the house. But no, they turned off the whole thing. It's the developers all or none - my ball I'm taking it and going home mentality - knee jerk reactions that have ruined this game for me. When the players have to stage protests to let them know they've made poor decisions it speaks to how out of touch they are with the player base.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry man - I find cleverness and creativity refreshing. I feel bad for you if you prefer empty bamboo floors... You've obviously never tried to build a house like that and seen how much work actually goes into it.

Maybe you just need a better PC to stop lagging so much? Or maybe the game engine is just 20 years old and doesn't support loading a **** ton of objects in a efficient way *cough* 12 tile load radius *cough*... I've never crashed in Luna, and it's still laggy even without all these rogue custom houses!

Yes it WAS heavy handed. The bamboo flooring had been that way for how many years, and some whiners recently started a big stink about it to force action. They could have put some thought into it and allowed custom stone blocks to still be visible on bamboo and not loaded every other item in the house. But no, they turned off the whole thing. It's the developers all or none - my ball I'm taking it and going home mentality - knee jerk reactions that have ruined this game for me. When the players have to stage protests to let them know they've made poor decisions it speaks to how out of touch they are with the player base.
I built elaborate stuff on castles LONG before any of this crap ever started... I know exactly what's involved...
the fact of the matter is these people exploited a game mechanic that was not working as intended and the DEVs put a stop to it... crying over it now is just sad.
I have a great PC and I have a better internet connection that most people playing UO... with a ping of ~26 download speeds over 500mps(closing in on 800 or more), and uploads over 40... but I don't need to have all that crap lagging me. I am used to being able to go anywhere anytime at max speed... but even then I was feeling the lag and it caused the EC to crash terribly...

say whatever you want it was an exploit and it was dealt with. Period. I'm glad you never crashed... whoop-de-do... Others did... and often.

And it's going to continue to be laggy in Luna on Atl with the amount of housing, NPC's and Vendors and everything else all over there.

No they didn't have to do anything other than fix the exploit of the tile... it's already been stated that they will be fixing it so you can see whatever unicorn puke you want after the next publish... if y ou want to keep having insane lag just to see that ugly crap that'll be on you... but the rest of us who could care less what joeblow down the block has stuck all over his house can go about playing the game in peace... without being forced to want to gouge our eyes out and bleach them.

It wasn't a knee jerk reaction... it was done to benefit the rest of the community and fix an over abused exploit.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the fact of the matter is these people exploited a game mechanic that was not working as intended
It took how many years for then to notice it was not working as intended?

Or did they change the way it works because of a complaint?

I guess you go to EM events now since they solved the lag issue.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It took how many years for then to notice it was not working as intended?

Or did they change the way it works because of a complaint?

I guess you go to EM events now since they solved the lag issue.
Since they fixed it so I can turn off all the silly added graphical stuff, like novablast, that obviously has a memory leak or something that causes the game to lock up and crash in the EC yes... I can do EM Events now...

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
say whatever you want it was an exploit and it was dealt with. Period. I'm glad you never crashed... whoop-de-do... Others did... and often.

And it's going to continue to be laggy in Luna on Atl with the amount of housing, NPC's and Vendors and everything else all over there.

No they didn't have to do anything other than fix the exploit of the tile... it's already been stated that they will be fixing it so you can see whatever unicorn puke you want after the next publish... if y ou want to keep having insane lag just to see that ugly crap that'll be on you... but the rest of us who could care less what joeblow down the block has stuck all over his house can go about playing the game in peace... without being forced to want to gouge our eyes out and bleach them.

It wasn't a knee jerk reaction... it was done to benefit the rest of the community and fix an over abused exploit.
I can't help but to admire your passion and your elegant way with words. You would be the perfect villain. I just can't believe with all of your disgust and hatred you remain on the side of righteousness.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
the fact of the matter is these people exploited a game mechanic that was not working as intended

Like treasure hunters bypassing the need to have remove trap using telekinesis? Or the fact that some treasure hunters stone off cartography before digging up a chest?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Like treasure hunters bypassing the need to have remove trap using telekinesis? Or the fact that some treasure hunters stone off cartography before digging up a chest?
@MalagAste just hand me a sharp stick and pour me a cup of bleach. I'll help you show this guy what's up.:eyes: :pint:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Guilty as charged - I did it - but did it cause others to lag and lock up?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Telekinesis after this publish will be just another useless spell in the wasted wilting book of Magery... one more of the 64 to become nothing more than another page to turn...

As for stoning off skills and what you failed to mention suit swapping at the last moment... Never done that... I have my skills and I use them... granted I often take both my T-Hunter and a Tamer... but I don't stone skills and I don't swap suits...

As for remove trap, it's a thieves skill... didn't know my T-Hunter had to become a thief to hunt a treasure... But whatever... what's next? Will I need tracking to track the treasure? Will I need it to find an MIB? Will my compass no longer work without tracking? Is that next? Will I need some other skill like taste ID to know what trap is set lick the chest before removing the trap? Then Item ID is next we'll all have to have that to tell if it's a sword or an axe... hammer or a pick?? Chest be full of unknown tiles and blobs until you ID each item???

Where does the insanity end?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As for remove trap, it's a thieves skill... didn't know my T-Hunter had to become a thief to hunt a treasure... But whatever... what's next?
And despite what you or anyone else thinks, majority of people who used it didn't think bamboo was an exploit, but a feature, much like telekinesis on a chest. In fact, if you actually looked around, many people used it to accent things like flower beds only.

In fact we do not know the original designers intent, the fact they left certain things in game, are we to decide it's a feature or a bug?

Just because THIS dev team decides to label it as something 15 years later does not mean that's what it was originally intended to be.

Knee jerk changes to longstanding features have the chance to drive people away, especially those already straddling the fence. I know people leaving or lightening up accounts they hold because of the bamboo change. They were not exploiters nor were their houses rainbow puke assaulting the eyes. They were tasteful roleplay homes and no those houses didn't cause crashes nor did they cause any substantial lag for the EC client.

Unlike Treasure Hunting, the bamboo fix was not open to discussion before it was changed. In fact there was no mention of it, other than the bug forum on uo.com and until final patch notes. Not only that, but they HOTFIXED part of it. That is a disservice to the players, whether you rejoice the change or not.

Where does the insanity end?
When all your joy is sucked out of the game.

oh wait...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Dumbest thing they ever did. The game looks like complete crap now. People want to run old computers and cheap systems cried their way into this nerf. Hopefully it gets fixed soon. Can't find dye tubs or rune museums or anything now. The game is an embarrassment the way it looks. Clearly everyone knew about this for countless years and it wasn't a problem till exactly one person complained. We should have all chipped in and bought them a computer made in the last 10 years. This was clearly an intentional feature they kept below the radar. I understand people not bothering to "fix" their houses. There's a fix coming. People with old computers can see crap and everyone else can see the game as intended.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When all your joy is sucked out of the game.
The developers want us to continue playing and paying. Fun apparently isn't a necessary component of that, which is why we continue to get grinds. The players that are remaining are the ones who go for a grind, right? Right?

Now excuse me, I have to wiggle my butt to write my name in the air before opening my door, and then hop over the three cracks in the concrete walkway, all while trying not to click my teeth together because if I do then I have to run through the whole ritual again.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Dumbest thing they ever did. The game looks like complete crap now. People want to run old computers and cheap systems cried their way into this nerf. Hopefully it gets fixed soon. Can't find dye tubs or rune museums or anything now. The game is an embarrassment the way it looks. Clearly everyone knew about this for countless years and it wasn't a problem till exactly one person complained. We should have all chipped in and bought them a computer made in the last 10 years. This was clearly an intentional feature they kept below the radar. I understand people not bothering to "fix" their houses. There's a fix coming. People with old computers can see crap and everyone else can see the game as intended.
The game looks like crap because it's still using graphics that are from the 90's... And because all those who exploited the bamboo still have their ugly ass crap there...

It will be fixed and all you who love that unicorn puke can turn it on and suffer the lag and consequence of that action if that's what you enjoy and the rest of us can live in peace and not be subjected to the hideous ugly crap we don't want to see...

I know way more than one complained... and it's not old computers or anything else and yes everyone else can see the game as intended now... with the hideously stupid designs of people who believe themselves to be gods of unicorn puke... and better than everyone that they should have to force the rest of the community to see them in all their glory and splendor of unicorn puke... because they are mighty wonderful decorators who dictate to everyone else how the game should look and what we should look at... No I'm glad it is gone from my sight...

And if they cry and quit well good riddance... didn't need their greedy whiny crap anyway. And if people want to have stupid looking houses full of bamboo when the rest of us walk by that's on them... I don't miss the unicorn puke and will be happy to continue to NOT see it.

And the whiners who cry about not being able to sell their overpriced crap on their auction safes can rest assured that they can have their trash seen after the next publish...

So can we all quit crying and move on???

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The game looks like crap because it's still using graphics that are from the 90's... And because all those who exploited the bamboo still have their ugly ass crap there...

It will be fixed and all you who love that unicorn puke can turn it on and suffer the lag and consequence of that action if that's what you enjoy and the rest of us can live in peace and not be subjected to the hideous ugly crap we don't want to see...

I know way more than one complained... and it's not old computers or anything else and yes everyone else can see the game as intended now... with the hideously stupid designs of people who believe themselves to be gods of unicorn puke... and better than everyone that they should have to force the rest of the community to see them in all their glory and splendor of unicorn puke... because they are mighty wonderful decorators who dictate to everyone else how the game should look and what we should look at... No I'm glad it is gone from my sight...

And if they cry and quit well good riddance... didn't need their greedy whiny crap anyway. And if people want to have stupid looking houses full of bamboo when the rest of us walk by that's on them... I don't miss the unicorn puke and will be happy to continue to NOT see it.

And the whiners who cry about not being able to sell their overpriced crap on their auction safes can rest assured that they can have their trash seen after the next publish...

o.0

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

Well your helping to kill the game. New players won't understand why the game looks like it's under construction. Sorry for all your lag deaths in Luna... we all know how dangerous that place is. lol I have zero lag anywhere in the game. Sorry for your problems. But new computers are amazing. You should try it. I understand the EC has serious problems and I'm sure it still does cause this nerf wasn't it. One thing about UO I always hated is that a handful of people will burn the entire game down if it helps them one tiny bit. The most selfish game on the planet.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I does make me laugh when I walk thr luna atl and see all the houses looking empty and like crap since the change. from posts ive seen, I think they did the change because of some lag on atl yew fel areas. if true, would of been nice if the change was only for fel but oh well. nothing will be done now, I just find it amusing.

ps is it true they are changing it to where u will see auction safes/items?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I does make me laugh when I walk thr luna atl and see all the houses looking empty and like crap since the change. from posts ive seen, I think they did the change because of some lag on atl yew fel areas. if true, would of been nice if the change was only for fel but oh well. nothing will be done now, I just find it amusing.

ps is it true they are changing it to where u will see auction safes/items?
Yes that's in the Newsletter and on the website... it's part of the patch notes for TC... They will become like Vendors... Which then it's sort of too bad there isn't a search for the items they are selling but I guess we can't have everything... but honestly, I don't care. But I get that some do... Just think most of them are greedy SoBs... but that's me.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Now, I could be wrong but aren't those with the lag issue all running EC? I use CC and have never had lag around heavy bamboo usage - and my system is a 7 YO Dell.

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Now, I could be wrong but aren't those with the lag issue all running EC? I use CC and have never had lag around heavy bamboo usage - and my system is a 7 YO Dell.
I use EC and don't have any lag issues but I'm happy I don't have to see those showing off there rares.... If I want to see I'll go inside the house...

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Personally, I'm excited for the patch that lets me see the stuff. Mostly because I primarily use crystal portals to get around. But there's always moongates.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CC w/ a new PC set up for AAA rated VR (that I’ve never used) on a fast connection.

Yes, the houses do cause lag regardless of what anyone says. On older systems or slow connections it can be bad. They fixed an old bug, it’s done & in a future patch they threw a bone to those complaining.

Get over it kiddos. In before the lock...

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hate it when people say using bamboo floors was an exploit. If that is the case then using bamboo floors is no different then people using gozas to cut up deeded items to make something else. So why is one of them an exploit and not the other? If you want to be technical, cutting up deeded items is more of an exploit then using bamboo floors as its using something as its not intended to be used for. The bamboo situation had nothing to do with an exploit. It was game mechanics that people bitched about because they thought that was the reason they were lagging.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I hate it when people say using bamboo floors was an exploit. If that is the case then using bamboo floors is no different then people using gozas to cut up deeded items to make something else. So why is one of them an exploit and not the other? If you want to be technical, cutting up deeded items is more of an exploit then using bamboo floors as its using something as its not intended to be used for. The bamboo situation had nothing to do with an exploit. It was game mechanics that people bitched about because they thought that was the reason they were lagging.
cutting up things with Goza mats doesn't effect anyone but yourself... Using the Bamboo flooring to force everyone else to load whatever unicorn puke you put on it causing other people lag DOES hurt everyone else...

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I'm excited for the patch that lets me see the stuff. Mostly because I primarily use crystal portals to get around. But there's always moongates.
I agree! Player plots, player cities and the game overall took a huge step backwards and looks terrible now. So much for sandbox and creativity.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I agree! Player plots, player cities and the game overall took a huge step backwards and looks terrible now. So much for sandbox and creativity.
Meh, I mean I understand the reason for it. But there are some folks that use player houses to travel. I think they are doing the right thing by fixing the performance issue first. I can use moongates and the houses I can remember for now. Once the option to load the stuff is in place, I'll use it. I don't care about player creativity, if I want to see someone's design, I'll go in and look. If I can see crystal portals and whatnot from outside, I'd gladly not load everything else in the house. I don't think this change has any effect on player creativity. You can be as creative as you want, but you shouldn't have to force people to load it using a horrible looking floor tile. If creativity in house design is your thing, surely you can find a more creative way to get people to want to come in and see it.

I understand both sides of this argument for once. Some people who do deco like to have their stuff on display and draw ideas from other people's designs. I am not one of those people so I'll take the performance increase. I currently do have a house but it's just an empty plot with a trash barrel on it. I rarely ever use it.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Meh, I mean I understand the reason for it. But there are some folks that use player houses to travel. I think they are doing the right thing by fixing the performance issue first. I can use moongates and the houses I can remember for now. Once the option to load the stuff is in place, I'll use it. I don't care about player creativity, if I want to see someone's design, I'll go in and look. If I can see crystal portals and whatnot from outside, I'd gladly not load everything else in the house. I don't think this change has any effect on player creativity. You can be as creative as you want, but you shouldn't have to force people to load it using a horrible looking floor tile. If creativity in house design is your thing, surely you can find a more creative way to get people to want to come in and see it.

I understand both sides of this argument for once. Some people who do deco like to have their stuff on display and draw ideas from other people's designs. I am not one of those people so I'll take the performance increase. I currently do have a house but it's just an empty plot with a trash barrel on it. I rarely ever use it.
If you don't care about player creativity. Then why the fancy signature image? Do you think others care? If it weren't there it would certainly speed up others page loading on these forums. I guess the reason you made it was to help you remember your own characters name? Do you see my point why people like to decorate in the game for others to see? Or maybe you don't.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you don't care about player creativity. Then why the fancy signature image? Do you think others care? If it weren't there it would certainly speed up others page loading on these forums. I guess the reason you made it was to help you remember your own characters name? Do you see my point why people like to decorate in the game for others to see? Or maybe you don't.
Whoa, calm down. I do see your point, and I'm happy that we are about to have the option to see other people's decoration jobs. I'm sure I'm in the vast minority of people who don't care about deco stuff. I'm not going to get great new deco ideas from seeing your house, but I'm glad someone might. It should have always been an option to view it or not, a choice that should be made by the viewer, not the viewee.

As far as my signature goes, I hope you like it. Image editing happens to be something I enjoy a bit. I play UO to adventure, not to decorate, but I know and understand that some people really like decorating. If you don't want to see my signature, I can recommend a good chrome extension to block it, I'm not going to force you to look at it.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
cutting up things with Goza mats doesn't effect anyone but yourself... Using the Bamboo flooring to force everyone else to load whatever unicorn puke you put on it causing other people lag DOES hurt everyone else...
That's faulty and self serving logic.

Exploiting when it benefits you is still exploiting.

I've seen multiboxers try to use that exact same logic it doesn't affect anyone but themselves. Dupers too, they can say it doesnt affect anyone else. You will never know or see what they have locked away in their homes, they aren't selling it, it's just for them. Macroers.

Bamboo flooring wasn't an exploit. You didn't have to do anything, you just had to build a house and select bamboo flooring.

With goza mats you are intentionally manipulating the environment to create an outcome other than what was intended by developers. Classic exploit.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whoa, calm down. I do see your point, and I'm happy that we are about to have the option to see other people's decorating jobs. I'm sure I'm in the vast minority of people who don't care about deco stuff. I'm not going to get great new deco ideas from seeing your house, but I'm glad someone might. It should have always been an option to view it or not, a choice that should be made by the viewer, not the viewee.

As far as my signature goes, I hope you like it. Image editing happens to be something I enjoy a bit. I play UO to adventure, not to decorate, but I know and understand that some people really like decorating. If you don't want to see my signature, I can recommend a good chrome extension to block it, I'm not going to force you to look at it.
My disagreement isn't really with you at all. I'm more disappointed in how the development team went about implementing the changes. I'm simply showing a point. Your signature is fine by the way. But why do it if you didn't want others to see it? And that is the same desire to display and decorate a lot of people in UO enjoy in their game. Judging by how many messed up plots with the new changes, a lot of others also seemed to enjoy it.

House customization, town building and display was one of the allures of the game. Now it is less so. If people don't enjoy seeing sandcastles then why are they playing in the sandbox?

And I kinda have to wonder why the developers keep creating items to display if they really don't want players plots to load them or it apparently slows their game down?

I have learned over the years changes occur in UO and that's fine. To be honest, I realize I can't fight change in UO. So I simply collapsed some decorative plots, discarded the contents and closed the accounts since the allure is no longer there for me. I guess in the end it really is helping increase performance and be less load on UO servers.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My disagreement isn't really with you at all. I'm more disappointed in how the development team went about implementing the changes. I'm simply showing a point. Your signature is fine by the way. But why do it if you didn't want others to see it? And that is the same desire to display and decorate a lot of people in UO enjoy in their game. Judging by how many messed up plots with the new changes, a lot of others also seemed to enjoy it.

House customization, town building and display was one of the allures of the game. Now it is less so. If people don't enjoy seeing sandcastles then why are they playing in the sandbox?

And I kinda have to wonder why the developers keep creating items to display if they really don't want players plots to load them or it apparently slows their game down?

I have learned over the years changes occur in UO and that's fine. To be honest, I realize I can't fight change in UO. So I simply collapsed some decorative plots, discarded the contents and closed the accounts since the allure is no longer there for me. I guess in the end it really is helping increase performance and be less load on UO servers.
Sure the dev team could have done a better job implementing these changes. They could have just made it an option to see the stuff from the beginning. But we all know that the devs don't play (which I can't blame them for, but that is a different issue) which causes them to overlook things like this. Performance should be their number one concern, but haphazardly changing things like they did here caused a lot of reasonable frustration. The good thing is that it seems like they are going fix their mistake shortly. Hopefully they change it so that we can either load the house deco or not, and that bamboo floor tiles are never seen again.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why are people still crying over this fix?
The display option will be available soon.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bamboo flooring wasn't an exploit. You didn't have to do anything, you just had to build a house and select bamboo flooring.
You make it sound like those Luna houses we see today didn't even know what the bamboo floor was doing to other players :D They just couldnt resist and build whole houses based on it, regardless what it did to other players. Now they ruined it for everyone using it more responsible, like for the occasional portal or what not. One bad apple..