• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Niter Deposits

mspossi

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello! Anyone have any idea where I can find saltpeter; For days I've been trying to find some Niter Deposits, I've searched everywhere I know without finding anything ...:wall:

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mining around the inside of Khaldun or mountains around the Sea from a boat is where I get losts of saltpeter

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hello! Anyone have any idea where I can find saltpeter; For days I've been trying to find some Niter Deposits, I've searched everywhere I know without finding anything ...:wall:
Pro tip: You can also buy saltpeter from the floating emporium and buy as much as you'd like (it restocks ASAP) and you can drop it in your bank box right there near the vendor.

Hope that helps!

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Ya mine dungeons or on a boat
Luck suit also helps, and the lucky statue

May I ask where you were trying and not getting anything ?

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To add what Keven said, you can also get it from the Brit and Moonglow docks.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Niter can only be mined in areas designated as dungeons (Ilshenar is considered a dungeon in this mechanic) or when on a boat. Mining skill and Luck are factors in determining a miner's success at locating niter deposits. Niter deposits can not be picked up. Niter deposits may sometimes spawn within the mountain they are discovered; when this happens, they can be mined by targeting their Context Menu.

Dungeon Mining
For dungeon mining, once an 8x8 area has been checked for saltpeter, it won't be checked again for 5 minutes. In other words, the same location can be checked for niter deposits every 5 minutes, regardless of the success of the previous try.

GM Miners will discover a niter deposit inside a dungeon on their first strike, provided that there is one within an 8x8 tile location.

Boat Mining
For boat mining, the chance of finding a deposit is checked for each swing of the pickaxe, but the chance to find a niter deposit and the niter deposit sizes are a lot less than dungeon mining (roughly one third of the chance for dungeon mining). It is reported that a GM Miner with 750 luck has 1.25% chance to find a niter deposit from a boat per mining attempt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put on a luck suit with as much luck as possible. Rub the luck statue and go to Spirituality and mine along the mountain until you reach the spawn areas then go back and do again. You do not need resists you will not be attacked.

1 try move 8 spaces. repeat.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Niter can only be mined in areas designated as dungeons (Ilshenar is considered a dungeon in this mechanic) or when on a boat. Mining skill and Luck are factors in determining a miner's success at locating niter deposits. Niter deposits can not be picked up. Niter deposits may sometimes spawn within the mountain they are discovered; when this happens, they can be mined by targeting their Context Menu.

Dungeon Mining
For dungeon mining, once an 8x8 area has been checked for saltpeter, it won't be checked again for 5 minutes. In other words, the same location can be checked for niter deposits every 5 minutes, regardless of the success of the previous try.

GM Miners will discover a niter deposit inside a dungeon on their first strike, provided that there is one within an 8x8 tile location.

Boat Mining
For boat mining, the chance of finding a deposit is checked for each swing of the pickaxe, but the chance to find a niter deposit and the niter deposit sizes are a lot less than dungeon mining (roughly one third of the chance for dungeon mining). It is reported that a GM Miner with 750 luck has 1.25% chance to find a niter deposit from a boat per mining attempt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put on a luck suit with as much luck as possible. Rub the luck statue and go to Spirituality and mine along the mountain until you reach the spawn areas then go back and do again. You do not need resists you will not be attacked.

@Pawain

What is the minimal amount of Luck that would help ?

Also, on average, a GM Miner with the whatever minimal amount of luck required to have a good chance to discover niter deposits, how much Saltpeter could they mine in an hour ?

The reason to ask it, is that 1 Charge takes 4 Black powders and each black powder takes 6 saltpeter....

So, if one wanted to make a stock of 500 charges they would need some 12,000 saltpeter...

Then, to craft 500 fuse cords they would need 500 Black Powder which it means another 3,000 saltpeter....

So, 500 shots, only in Saltpeter, mean some 15,000 saltpeter to mine....

How many hours of mining one should expect for it to take to gather so much Saltpeter to craft ammos for 500 shots ?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pawain

Also, on average, a GM Miner with the whatever minimal amount of luck required to have a good chance to discover niter deposits, how much Saltpeter could they mine in an hour ?

The reason to ask it, is that 1 Charge takes 4 Black powders and each black powder takes 6 saltpeter....

So, if one wanted to make a stock of 500 charges they would need some 12,000 saltpeter...

Then, to craft 500 fuse cords they would need 500 Black Powder which it means another 3,000 saltpeter....

How many hours of mining one should expect for it to take to gather so much Saltpeter to craft ammos for 500 shots ?
A long time. Thats why they sell it in the sea market now.

I can get 600 to 900 in 30 min. I do not like repetitive things that do not involve killing so I can not mine for an hour.

My miner has 1250 luck before the statue. And usually I forget to click it.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When I was gathering ore and such for the Halloween event I sailed Papua and mined the rock all around that area by boat... I had so much Niter on my boat that at times I couldn't move at all... Never had an issue finding Niter deposits...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A long time. Thats why they sell it in the sea market now.

I can get 600 to 900 in 30 min. I do not like repetitive things that do not involve killing so I can not mine for an hour.

My miner has 1250 luck before the statue. And usually I forget to click it.
I don't like repetitive non-killing either - which is why my niter mining is done in Ilshenar, using gargoyle pickaxes and prospector tools on the ore, then switching to sturdy tools for mining the niter after the ore runs out and any elementals are dead.

mspossi

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya mine dungeons or on a boat
Luck suit also helps, and the lucky statue

May I ask where you were trying and not getting anything ?
of course in ilshenar, and in the common mining areas in Bristh.

mspossi

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Dungeon Mining

Boat Mining

tons of thanks, as always your information is extremely accurate. Thank you so much!

mspossi

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Pawain

I have the same doubt, I have an Orc ship, and buying a salpter to carry all my cannons is in the meantime prohibitive.

mspossi

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't like repetitive non-killing either - which is why my niter mining is done in Ilshenar, using gargoyle pickaxes and prospector tools on the ore, then switching to sturdy tools for mining the niter after the ore runs out and any elementals are dead.
Oh! I'm kind of dumb, I had not thought of using gargle tools, thank you very much for the tip ... now I just need luck in some part of my suit. Thanks!

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Good luck getting your saltpeter

It's not so bad once you find an area where you like to mine

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
For what it's worth...

I'm not sure if the OP has a goal to mine the saltpeter or just wants it to make cannon supplies. If the goal is to do some mindless activity then all info posted here is spot on for actually finding niter deposits. If the goal is ultimately for cannons then I'd suggest just buying some saltpeter (maybe 50k gold's worth) to make your supplier then hit the high seas; pirate ships and supply ships typically have more cannon supplies than you will use to scuttle the ship. I initially created 100 shots for my cannons and I haven't had to create a single firing material since then (I'd guess I have well over 200+ shots).

But like I said, it depends on what the goal is....

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh! I'm kind of dumb, I had not thought of using gargle tools, thank you very much for the tip ... now I just need luck in some part of my suit. Thanks!
The Garg picks don't really do anything for the niter, but they definitely improve the ore you bring back from the trip, and the extra ore from the elementals is a plus. You use normal/sturdy tools on the niter itself, once it appears, but you have time to finish doing the ore dig with garg picks before turning on the niter.

I started using a fire beetle, a giant beetle, a miner's satchel (halves ingot/ore weight inside the satchel), and for tools, 1-2 prospector tools, 2-3 sturdy tools and 6-8 garg picks.

Method.
Dig once, sturdy Tool. It's only the first dig that niter will appear or not appear on.
Hit the same spot with prospector's tool
Start mining that spot with Gargoyle Pickaxe, fighting any ore elemental that spawns.
When ore runs out, mine the niter pocket, if it spawned.
Smelt all the ore gold and under, put ingots into the satchel.
Agapite, verite and valorite ore go into the beetle as-is to take home for when I get one of the 100% smelting talismans for that ore as a BOD reward.

The use of both tools effectively increases the amount of Valorite you mine by 6x (the chance for Verite is 2x Valorite, the chance for Agapite is 3x valorite, so elevating those with the tools is 1x+2x+3x = 6x). Verite becomes as common as gold from mining (twice the normal chance for verite with normal tools), and Bronze ore sites produce Agapite (Agapite is normally 3x as common as Valorite, and Bronze is 5x, so the output is 1.66x vs. mining with normal tools).

Repeat until you run out of tools, or fill up the pack animal and are on the verge of being at full pack from unsmelted ore.

The "hunt pirates" thing works, until you spend most of the ammo hunting plunderbeacons instead of pirates. I swear, when my friends and I are out looking for pirates as a group, all we can find are plunderbeacons, and vice-versa. We only seem to find what we are looking for when solo.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Garg picks don't really do anything for the niter, but they definitely improve the ore you bring back from the trip, and the extra ore from the elementals is a plus. You use normal/sturdy tools on the niter itself, once it appears, but you have time to finish doing the ore dig with garg picks before turning on the niter.

I started using a fire beetle, a giant beetle, a miner's satchel (halves ingot/ore weight inside the satchel), and for tools, 1-2 prospector tools, 2-3 sturdy tools and 6-8 garg picks.

Method.
Dig once, sturdy Tool. It's only the first dig that niter will appear or not appear on.
Start mining that spot with Gargoyle Pickaxe, fighting any ore elemental that spawns.
Agapite, verite and valorite ore go into the beetle as-is to take home for when I get one of the 100% smelting talismans for that ore as a BOD reward.

The use of both tools effectively increases the amount of Valorite you mine by 6x (the chance for Verite is 2x Valorite, the chance for Agapite is 3x valorite, so elevating those with the tools is 1x+2x+3x = 6x). Verite becomes as common as gold from mining (twice the normal chance for verite with normal tools), and Bronze ore sites produce Agapite (Agapite is normally 3x as common as Valorite, and Bronze is 5x, so the output is 1.66x vs. mining with normal tools).

Repeat until you run out of tools, or fill up the pack animal and are on the verge of being at full pack from unsmelted ore.

The "hunt pirates" thing works, until you spend most of the ammo hunting plunderbeacons instead of pirates. I swear, when my friends and I are out looking for pirates as a group, all we can find are plunderbeacons, and vice-versa. We only seem to find what we are looking for when solo.
For someone who does not like repetitive gathering, you sure know how to do it effectively. :thumbsup:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For someone who does not like repetitive gathering, you sure know how to do it effectively. :thumbsup:
Yes, but at least the elementals add some occasional adrenaline to it - especially when a paragon copper or valorite elemental pops. In some ways the para copper is more dangerous than the valorite, because it has lower resists (and as a result, more gets reflected back - making suicide by your own slayer weapon a very real concern).

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Method.

@Basara , a few questions if I may....

In regards to mining Niter, I have noticed that once the block of Niter spawns and I start hitting it, I go from 0 saltpeter from it, to 1 or 2 or 3 or a max of 4 saltpeter from each mining attempt.

Through hitting the block of Niter, it shrinks to smaller ones until it goes away.

My question is, WHAT EXACTLY makes the Niter to get smaller and smaller ?

Is it depending on the actual saltpeter mined OR does it depend by the number of times that the Noter block is hit REGARDLESS of how much saltpeter is actually mined away from the block ?

Because, in the former case then it actually does not matter that I may have "dud" mining hits yielding 0 saltpeter since the block would reduce its size only depending on the "actual" amount of saltpeter mined away...

In the latter case, instead, if the Niter block shrinks due to the actual number of hits on the Niter block regardless of how much saltpeter they yield, in such case, I'd like to know what affects a 0 saltpeter mined hit, from a 1 saltpeter obtained attempt and a 2 or a 3 or a 4....

That is, "how" and "if" I could maximize my saltpeter yield to, for a example, all 4 saltpeter yielded returns....

Also, I noticed that, in regards to colored Ore, I get very little colored Ore even when I hit a spot having some.... most of the ore there is still iron, the colored ore is very little... does it depend on the Luck worn ?

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just in case Kyronix is reading here instead of the wish list, I wished that we could get more saltpeter per swing on the same lump, because after an hour or so, hitting the same lump over and over again gets old. Hey K, go read the wish list, m'kay? There's like 500 other things to look at there too, and most of them suck less than requiring Remove Trap after all these years.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A. I have no idea what determines the total amount of niter, or where it changes size - but the amount per dig at it appears to be totally random. There's NOTHING you can do to change the random amount that you dig per swing.

B. The amount of colored ore depends on what that resource square produced when first mined, be it a spot in Eodon in 2016 or a spot in Trammel or Fel when colored ore was first introduced.

There was practically no documentation included in the game when colored ore was introduced, because they thought that the game would either be short-lived, or be replaced by UO2. It wasn't until the tail end of AoS and the early work on Samurai Empire that the devs working then realized that the attempts to make a replacement game were going nowhere, and that the changes needed documented inside and outside the game. The lack of documentation made the devs working on Elves for Mondain's Legacy, for example, thinking that humans had a flat 40% of colored ore, and that the Elves' 20% bonus would make their chance 60% - when anyone mining could have told them they were working from a flawed premise. The actual result is the human's chance is what the resource square's chance is, and the elf's is 1.2x that (so a human 40% would be 48% for an elf, 70% human84% elf, or (going the other way) 15% Human/18% elf).

Every resource square apparently had a colored ore chance set back when colored ore started. Some squares, in "mining" areas like caves, mines and dungeons, got more digs per visit, and often (but not always) a higher chance for colored ore per dig. I know of a cave west of Trinsic on Lake Austin that yields close to 90% colored ore, and 20-30 digs, for a human. It was Bronze when the spots were fixed colors. A spot with similar output near it was Shadow Iron. Since they've started changing colors, they've STAYED 90% colored (though if on Iron, you have to use tools to change to DC or Shadow Iron, to see anything but iron), and 20-30 digs. Similarly, there was a spot in a cave up near minoc, that originally was a Valorite site when unchanging - but out of 10-15 digs, you count yourself lucky if you get even ONE colored ore. The number of digs, and rare chance for colored ore even when you know its capable of it, is ALSO unchanged in the random change era - only the colors change.

Luck only affects Niter deposit size, not your ore output.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
What with the outrages prices of saltpeter at the docks? Why is the prices over 200 gold for one? It's like this everyday I check. Did not feel like going to the sea docks for another picture, the cheapest I seen is the Brit Docks.
price.jpg price1.jpg

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That looks about right. If you have the merchant earring you will get some additional savings but that's basically the price. It's the same thing with arrows; I don't think I've seen arrows for cheaper than 40gp per arrow in years....

As I mentioned in a previous post, spend the 50-100k on saltpeter to get started (you can get 50k pretty easy these days) and once you have 100 shots go hit the high seas and target pirate ships and trade ships. You will double your ammo in no time.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luck only affects Niter deposit size, not your ore output.
Luck ONLY affects the size of the Niter Deposit or does it ALSO affect the "likeliness" to pull a Niter deposit out ?

Also, is there a "cut out" line of Luck in order to always pull Gigantic Niter Deposits ?

If so, what is this "magic" Luck number to have ?

Furthermore, does it help (besides the 1,000 Luck bonus) in any particular way to mine for Saltpeter in Felucca rather then elsewhere ?

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
It is my understanding with luck that you will find more deposits than if you have 0

Me personally I use a suit that's 700 base luck then I touch the lucky statue to get me over 1000

I usually take 8 - 10 , 100use shovels to go mine and bring back 1000 or more saltpeter.... ( if am "lucky" ) ;)

Not sure about tram vs fel , but I would assume that only applies to 2x ore , not saltpeter

You don't get 2x rare gems if you mine fel so I'm basing assumption off of that

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What with the outrages prices of saltpeter at the docks? Why is the prices over 200 gold for one? It's like this everyday I check. Did not feel like going to the sea docks for another picture, the cheapest I seen is the Brit Docks.
View attachment 97265 View attachment 97266
Because they've been bought up, and the Devs in their flawed infinite wisdom actually think that people are going to mine saltpeter and sell it back to the NPCs to bring it back down, which will never happen. The devs even made it easier by placing the NPCs within buying distance from your boat, so some rich person on day one, bought them all until they got tired. On Siege it's slightly more painful, yes you save money, but you buy 20 saltpeter at 24 gold and then wait a damn hour for it to respawn, it literally takes all day to buy up the NPCs to 999, which Production shards get more instant bang for their bucks.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Because they've been bought up, and the Devs in their flawed infinite wisdom actually think that people are going to mine saltpeter and sell it back to the NPCs to bring it back down, which will never happen. The devs even made it easier by placing the NPCs within buying distance from your boat, so some rich person on day one, bought them all until they got tired. On Siege it's slightly more painful, yes you save money, but you buy 20 saltpeter at 24 gold and then wait a damn hour for it to respawn, it literally takes all day to buy up the NPCs to 999, which Production shards get more instant bang for their bucks.
Do prices not eventually reset after a period of time of no sales? I thought that was the case w/ things like reagents etc?

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
fel cove dungeon.... you can mine the entire entrance and around the corner without the spawn attacking...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is 356 or so on LS every day. You have it cheap.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My main miner has only about 500 luck, and NEVER finds any deposits smaller than Massive/clumsy (because apparently "Massive" is a bad word, like "Constitution").

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We are getting ripped off on LS.

upload_2019-4-25_21-56-52.png

It does not reset daily.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We are getting ripped off on LS.

View attachment 97280

It does not reset daily.
If someone who really really loves to mine saltpeter were to start selling it to the NPC they would make good money and bring the price down some, but the real of it is, there are more people that would prefer to buy it from NPCs than dig it up. The Devs should have known this, which is why that price on LS, unfortunately, will never return to its initial price, same for every other production shard. I believe I"m correct that you can purchase 2 times from on NPC before the price increases. The starting price should have been 24 I think, which is what Siege stays at. Doing the math, which I may or may not have gotten wrong, and being able to always buy 500 at a time on LS, to date means a miner would only need to sell back 348000 saltpeter to get the price back down to starting levels. I can't figure out what the profit from the sales would though.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I wonder if you get 2x saltpeter if you mine fel dungeon despise ?
I think someone posted earlier that saltpeter would fall under the same category as gems and would not get double output for being in Fel. I haven't tested to confirm that though since I'm fine with just buying them at the docks :D