• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is there a signficant gain in Fishing for a 120% Power Scroll?

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So... fishing for years and years...

Its been some time I've really worked on it... mostly because of the change in fish... the dozens of them... its quite maddening to deal with for me, BUT I need MIBs, Fishing Nets, and Level 1 maps to sell.

SO! I was out with my fisher doing some testing on the High Seas Update... and I got thinking about it. 110% skill. Is it worth getting a 120? Do you get more serpents? What is the whole reason to go another level up?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
suppose to be an in creased rate of everything (mibs, rare fish ect ect)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
120 Fishers still fish up junk like Sandals and Boots, in case you're wondering. Really annoying. 120 Fishing is also the hardest PS to get in the game.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
from what I know, it seems u have to do quests and buildup the points until u get the 6 xs,15/20 item quests before u can get a 120 fishing scroll. you have to earn the 120s. problem is some script these quests and have for along time. so some people work hard while others complete quests while at work/sleeping/afk/whatever. no comment

- good to have 120 fishing so if any new content comes out, you will be ready lol.
- some legendary/rare fish, 120 fishing is needed to catch them.
- in general, 120 fishing not important at this time but may change

Last edited:

superfrog

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's pretty much like any other skill that got a power scroll, they lowered the requirements of the old stuff and added new things to scale to 120.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Getting fishing to 120 is totally not worth it.
For maps i suggest doing guardian room in doom.
For mibs i suggest u do the anchor thing from the zippy quest i think it is.
After the fire fish pie nerf, there is like 0 gold in fishing, you're better off killing ettins in new haven for gold...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I have no idea on normal stuff but during the global event when we needed to fish up that special staff, some guildies with 120 didn't get a single one, I only have GM fishing and I got 8...

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Getting fishing to 120 is totally not worth it.
For maps i suggest doing guardian room in doom.
For mibs i suggest u do the anchor thing from the zippy quest i think it is.
After the fire fish pie nerf, there is like 0 gold in fishing, you're better off killing ettins in new haven for gold...
1, Level 1 maps are a "Happy Side-Effect" of fishing... not the main goal. :)
----> You cant get MIBs any other place other then fishing. Same with fishing nets. Both sell very well on Atlantic.

2, Doom's map room only gives Malas maps. Not Tram, wherever I fish... where the higher demand maps are.

45000 Message in a Bottle MIB, each. No money? ;)
10k Special Fishing Net, Green.
25k Special Fishing Net... any other color.

Well worth it. Quests are a huge waste of time.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no idea on normal stuff but during the global event when we needed to fish up that special staff, some guildies with 120 didn't get a single one, I only have GM fishing and I got 8...
What Global Event are you talking about ?

I had no idea that there was any....

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Funny thing is, i took my Prospector out fishing up 20 Ancient SoS last night, and got 2 of those Staffs. You can still pull them up.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Salvage hook tossing is much better option for mibs. I average 1 mib every 5 hooks. Hooks cost 1900 gold.
If this was 7 years ago? I could see that. I used to buy those hooks all the time... but its REALLY rare to see them on vendors today. I hate that fishing quest. hehe. Its SOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If this was 7 years ago? I could see that. I used to buy those hooks all the time... but its REALLY rare to see them on vendors today. I hate that fishing quest. hehe. Its SOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow.
Trinsic npc vendor sells them. 500 in stock at all times :) . They look like anchors. You toss the anchors in the water and it pulls up baddies including krakens which drop mibs.

*trinsic not moonglow

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1, Level 1 maps are a "Happy Side-Effect" of fishing... not the main goal. :)
----> You cant get MIBs any other place other then fishing. Same with fishing nets. Both sell very well on Atlantic.

2, Doom's map room only gives Malas maps. Not Tram, wherever I fish... where the higher demand maps are.

45000 Message in a Bottle MIB, each. No money? ;)
10k Special Fishing Net, Green.
25k Special Fishing Net... any other color.

Well worth it. Quests are a huge waste of time.
Not to burst you're bobble or anything but, you can get mibs from other sources as i described.
Near the docks in trinsic u take the zippy quest, then u buy salvage hooks, sail out, throw them in the water.
Kill everything that pops up, the krakens sometimes have mibs, this is how i get mibs and i usually use a none fisherman.
You can also get mibs from dolphin rugs.
Sailing out and "fish" for mibs simply takes to long, compared to chaining maisma for gold/maps for example.
Sailing out fishing up "normal" mibs just aient worth it comparing to killing fx dragons for barbed leather.
1 piece of barbed leather sell for 200-300gc normal level 6 maps except fel sells for 60k++ you do the math.
Fishing in general just aien't a money maker. It is however fun, and i get to flash my orrrrk ship when i do mine. But i could make alot more gold doing almost
anything else in this game.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to burst you're bobble or anything but, you can get mibs from other sources as i described.
Near the docks in trinsic u take the zippy quest, then u buy salvage hooks, sail out, throw them in the water.
Its amazing how people always want to slap down anyone that doesnt bubble-head nod along with their wait of thinking of how the game works.

18 years of fishing, selling MIBs, Nets, and level 1 maps from FISHING. No quest needed. Millions and millions of gold says the system works. Slow or not.

(Not that I fish 23.5 hours a day.) I do it a lot less since the 10k new fish types came to the system.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They probably did not get the quest from the necromancer.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its amazing how people always want to slap down anyone that doesnt bubble-head nod along with their wait of thinking of how the game works.

18 years of fishing, selling MIBs, Nets, and level 1 maps from FISHING. No quest needed. Millions and millions of gold says the system works. Slow or not.

(Not that I fish 23.5 hours a day.) I do it a lot less since the 10k new fish types came to the system.
No one is slapping down anyone.
The mibs and treasure hunt stuff is about to be changed for a reason, there is a thread about it on uo.com.
And for the record, if you have "only" been making millions and not plats playing uo for 18 years, then maby you are doing something wrong?
See that's a slap..

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Funny thing is, i took my Prospector out fishing up 20 Ancient SoS last night, and got 2 of those Staffs. You can still pull them up.
I am lost.....

What Event are you guys talking about ?
What Staff are you guys talking about ?
What is a "Prospector" ?
Are you talking of doing this Fishing on a specific Shard or is it on "any" Shard ?
Why would it need, specific ANCIENT SoS to have a chance to pull that Staff ?

I mean, the chance to even get an ANCIENT Sos is 1 in 25 "regular" SoSes.... so, in order to have 20 "ancient" SoSes like you mention, this means having handy some 500 regular SoSes.... not a trivial quantity.....

For a chance only of 1 in 10 ANCIENT SoSes of pulling that Staff up ?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
We are talking about the 20th anniversary global event, it was a series of quests and events that went on for a couple of months. My guildies definitely did have the quest as we did a lot of the content together as guild hunts, that was actually the first thing we asked when they didn't seem to be having much luck, I guess they were victims of the RNG. Yes, you can still get those staffs, which is a bit weird....I hope this t-hunt and SOS revamp will be good.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The topic is about Fishing skill, GM vs. 110 and/or 120 with a Power Scroll.

On Atlantic, only 1 is current for sale... at 50 million gold. To me, thats far outside reason... however the quest that gives Fishing Power Scrolls eats up a LOT of time. So its the question "Is it worth it or forget it?" :)

Some of us sell MIBs every day so does more skill give you more treasure laden serpents. Atlantic (again), these things sell quite well and sometimes demand is higher then supply can meet. The skull vet carpets only give 1 per week, so its hardly helpful when you can sell out every single day... OR sell out in a month. hehe. Its hardly predictable, however its better to have a small stockpile then not.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
We are talking about the 20th anniversary global event, it was a series of quests and events that went on for a couple of months. My guildies definitely did have the quest as we did a lot of the content together as guild hunts, that was actually the first thing we asked when they didn't seem to be having much luck, I guess they were victims of the RNG. Yes, you can still get those staffs, which is a bit weird....I hope this t-hunt and SOS revamp will be good.
I'm not holding my breath. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised but I highly doubt it... Problem is Mesanna doesn't want anyone to get stuff... she seems to delight in pissing everyone off and catering to the wealthy and the rares community the rest of us can go piss off... as she could care less about people who don't have the time to powergame and play 24/7... Kyronix seems to think everything should be this massively boring grind grind grind till you want to /wrists and gouge your eyes out... not to mention go to the hospital for a nice carpal tunnel surgery... Bleak seems to think only the CC matters and PvP... and don't even get me started on Misk as I'm pretty darn sure he's never logged into the EC to test a single thing... and one artist knows what art is the other... can't even do textures... and again don't get me started there...

So with that group in mind I have no hope for the future of UO... I know they are concerned with power creep and all but I fail to see where a few deco items is going to cause any power creep at all... and honestly if there is no reward 9 out of 10 tries then why bother trying when your time is limited... the 10th time will always go to the powergamer and the multiboxer while the rest of the player base will try and fail over and over until they are bored, sick of failing and disgusted to the brink of just wanting to quit.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the heads up.... is it still possible to pick up the Quest since I missed it ?

Does it have a name so that I can look it up on the internet about what it is about ?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I feel your pain @MalagAste I'm trying to be optimistic but after reading the thread on the other forum about the revamp, I'm a bit worried.
As for the question of fishing 120 being any better, well I don't know as I wouldn't waste the money on the powerscroll, the best Scalis hunt I was ever on was done by a character with no fishing skill at all and we got plenty of Scalis spawning!
I gave up on the Fishing quests as a tedious waste of time with only a very sore hand to show for it. :(

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I feel your pain @MalagAste I'm trying to be optimistic but after reading the thread on the other forum about the revamp, I'm a bit worried.
As for the question of fishing 120 being any better, well I don't know as I wouldn't waste the money on the powerscroll, the best Scalis hunt I was ever on was done by a character with no fishing skill at all and we got plenty of Scalis spawning!
I gave up on the Fishing quests as a tedious waste of time with only a very sore hand to show for it. :(
I used to do them with a friend... and we used to go try to catch the "special" fish but even at 120 I spent 3k in bait trying to catch a "big" Zombie fish... 3rd cast I got a minimum 10-20 stone fish and he got a 150 something pounder on the other side of the lake... 3k in bait later I got NO other Zombie fish... now you can say that's the RNG hating on me... but IMO that just proves that it's BROKEN... 3k in bait as well as wearing that stupid suit that does NOTHING at all IMO .... and not a single zombie fish... Meanwhile he caught 3 in that time...

That IMO makes it not worth the while time nor money spent on getting the PS the hours and hours and hours of fishing to get up to 120 real... and all the rest... Now they "claim" they are fixing it... and going to make it better... but I'll believe that when I finally manage to catch a rainbow... or get the elusive black marlin...

bait or no it's been broken since the dawn... but that's my opinion... I spent days hunting for the zombie fish... and more than a week trying to catch another never did... and spent a long time trying to catch the special Tokuno fish which I also never got bait, suit and all... Since then I give up... and since my fishing buddy died my heart just isn't really in it to care anymore.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used to do them with a friend... and we used to go try to catch the "special" fish but even at 120 I spent 3k in bait trying to catch a "big" Zombie fish... 3rd cast I got a minimum 10-20 stone fish and he got a 150 something pounder on the other side of the lake... 3k in bait later I got NO other Zombie fish... now you can say that's the RNG hating on me... but IMO that just proves that it's BROKEN... 3k in bait as well as wearing that stupid suit that does NOTHING at all IMO .... and not a single zombie fish... Meanwhile he caught 3 in that time...

That IMO makes it not worth the while time nor money spent on getting the PS the hours and hours and hours of fishing to get up to 120 real... and all the rest... Now they "claim" they are fixing it... and going to make it better... but I'll believe that when I finally manage to catch a rainbow... or get the elusive black marlin...

bait or no it's been broken since the dawn... but that's my opinion... I spent days hunting for the zombie fish... and more than a week trying to catch another never did... and spent a long time trying to catch the special Tokuno fish which I also never got bait, suit and all... Since then I give up... and since my fishing buddy died my heart just isn't really in it to care anymore.
Couldn't have said it better :)
Also the over complicated cannon fire mechanism was a complete joke, when high seas came out. Luckily they fixed that.
Lets hope now that fishpies are completely and utterly useless, the DEVs will throw us a bone, and actually fix bait so it will work.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
1 piece of barbed leather sell for 200-300gc normal level 6 maps except fel sells for 60k++ you do the math.
1 piece of barbed leather in GL sells to NPC in Luna at 1 gc? I tried a Magincia player vendor stall, and got 150 or so. Is there another place I can sell for 200-300 gold each? An NPC or something? Ty in advance. o.0

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You want leathers... hunt NPC ships. :)

Loads of free goodies on the NPC ships... but it has zero to do with fishing skill.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am lost.....

What Event are you guys talking about ?
What Staff are you guys talking about ?
What is a "Prospector" ?
Are you talking of doing this Fishing on a specific Shard or is it on "any" Shard ?
Why would it need, specific ANCIENT SoS to have a chance to pull that Staff ?

I mean, the chance to even get an ANCIENT Sos is 1 in 25 "regular" SoSes.... so, in order to have 20 "ancient" SoSes like you mention, this means having handy some 500 regular SoSes.... not a trivial quantity.....

For a chance only of 1 in 10 ANCIENT SoSes of pulling that Staff up ?
The Event was the 20th Anniversary Event involving the Titans that would invade the towns.
The Staff of Kalen's Apprentice was a staff required for the quest, which could be fished up with chests from SoS. Didn't have to be an Ancient SoS.
"Prospector" is an old term for someone with Mining/LJ/Fishing. It wasn't exactly a full crafter, but more of a gatherer char. Mine has Mining/LJ/Fishing/Cooking/Alchemy/Fletching/Magery. Here's the description from the UO: Second Age manual.
PROSPECTOR
The prospector wanders the wilderness of Britannia gathering it's valuable resources - wood, ore, and wild plants. These he carries to shops and other buyers for profit. The best prospectors soon learn to craft products of their own. Because the prospector often encounters dangerous creatures and humans in his work, he is also adept at hiding from opponents.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Event was the 20th Anniversary Event involving the Titans that would invade the towns.
Again with the town invasions? Thankfully I missed that. However, for the love of all that's holy... we DO NOT NEED TOWN INVASIONS! Thats what ruined West Brit Bank for an open-air market. Time and time again.

If anything, Luna is LONG OVERDUE for some kind of invasion. :flame:

Thats where all the money is... and countless unattended bank-sitters.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I personally like town invasions... it's content that brings folk together to work to a common goal... defeat the baddies and get the town clear... it builds a bond with your city... when it is under siege you wish to fix it ...

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seeing this has zero to do with the topic at hand... it really doesnt matter.

Frankly, I think there is a lot to be said about getting people out of the towns and in to the wilds... like pre-AOS invasions with the ants, Juka, and swamp mess. BUT we are talking a different staff... a few generations ago.

Please stay on topic.

swroberts

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I have decided to finally continue the quests for the 120, for the only reason so I will stop saving that pile of commidity deeds of fish, crab, and lobster... I am always struggling with my house lock down limits :( .... And there are some cool deco items for my nautical themed rooms this year :)

Calla Lily

Journeyman
My fisher reached 120 Fishing just yesterday (yay!) Getting to 100.0 was tough years ago, but I’ve had fun working her up to 120. She has GM swords, anatomy, and tactics, but she’s never faced a kraken alone. Can a single player beat a kraken? I’ve been attacked by one in Jhelom when I was in a mage, and she died pretty quickly. I had no idea they can walk on land!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My fisher reached 120 Fishing just yesterday (yay!) Getting to 100.0 was tough years ago, but I’ve had fun working her up to 120. She has GM swords, anatomy, and tactics, but she’s never faced a kraken alone. Can a single player beat a kraken? I’ve been attacked by one in Jhelom when I was in a mage, and she died pretty quickly. I had no idea they can walk on land!
My fisher characters are also my miners and lumberjacks. They also have magery, med, music, and peacemaking. They cast a fire elemental to help deal with the serpents and krackens and can peace the worst of them and slowly blast them away with mind blast spells. If there's a kracken to deal with, I just make sure the fisher is clear across the boat and also keep the fire elemental's bar up and heal it as necessary.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1 piece of barbed leather in GL sells to NPC in Luna at 1 gc? I tried a Magincia player vendor stall, and got 150 or so. Is there another place I can sell for 200-300 gold each? An NPC or something? Ty in advance. o.0
I don't factor in the lesser shards since most of them have very little local marked. On most of those shards, people either hunt what they need or import from atlantic.
I did check GL here u could buy 1k barbed for 75k, so go grab those 2x1k deeds i saw on GL and sell them for 150 in that Mag vendor u saw.
Prices seems pretty low on leather atm on atlantic, properly due to the high impact loot revamp had (not is as high as demand as it used to). (ranged from 100 and up to 350 pr barbed leather)
I stopped trading in leather after the loot revamp, due to brsk being compeletly useless.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gratz well done.
If you use 2x volems and have them all guard you, u dont need another others skills than fishing and some way of healing/recalling (chiv or magery)
You can beat a kraken with sword, i would personally use volems or summon a demon and throw spells at the kraken. or even use archery.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gratz well done.
If you use 2x volems and have them all guard you, u dont need another others skills than fishing and some way of healing/recalling (chiv or magery)
You can beat a kraken with sword, i would personally use volems or summon a demon and throw spells at the kraken. or even use archery.
New vollems are 3 slot now.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My Fisherman Vincent is 120 magery with med, 120 spellweaving, GM inscription and 120 fishing... He does just fine... even killing Krakens.

My other Fisherwoman, is a 120 Archer, with Chivalry... she also does just fine against the mighty Kraken.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My fisherman is a sampire with anatomy replaced by fishing..... he giggles at krakens.