• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Stealing] My First Dungeon Crawler

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
I've never made a stealer before and wanted to try it out. What do you experienced people suggest I start out trying to steal, I mean what is the easiest, just so I can get a steal under my belt?

Right now I have 100 hiding, 100 stealth and about 75 stealing(training that right now).

PageBoy

Journeyman
Stealing from mobs is pointless, if you wanna make some money from stealing you have to add snooping, join the thieves guild and steal PS from ppl doing champ spawns.
You can do it staying hidden beside the samp and the boss or staying hidden near the star room moongate

PageBoy

Journeyman
If you don’t want to play on fel, your only option are the academic books located in Bedlam imho, nice resale value :)

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
I also have 100 lockpicking and 100 magery on that guy and my stealing is up to 82 now, but I don't have snooping yet for direct target stealing from NPCs and players. Yes, I already joined the thieves guild and have my disguise kit. I wasn't planning on going to Fel, but if you say that's where the action is then...

BTW, how do you steal from a monster? They don't have a paper doll or backpack. Do you just stealth up to them and activate stealing and target the MOB?

Was thinking of adding Ninjitsu so I can use smoke bombs too, maybe detect hidden and remove trap, but don't think my template has room right now.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you really want the full thief experience, I recommend playing on Siege. Shoot me a PM if you are interested, I do not discuss our tactics in public forum.

Keep in mind that all thieve's guild members are fully lootable in Tram. If you have no plan to steal from other players, I recommend quitting the thieve's guild immediately as it is not required to steal from dungeons or whatever else those wannabe thieves do.

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
If you really want the full thief experience, I recommend playing on Siege. Shoot me a PM if you are interested, I do not discuss our tactics in public forum.

Keep in mind that all thieve's guild members are fully lootable in Tram. If you have no plan to steal from other players, I recommend quitting the thieve's guild immediately as it is not required to steal from dungeons or whatever else those wannabe thieves do.
Oh, I did not know that about being lootable, thanks for info. ;)

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Alka brings up a question I was actually pondering the other day... is there really a point of having a thief these days? I have one with 120 stealing / 100 snooping / etc but haven't played him in years. I found that when I did sit around at a champ spawn trying to steal scrolls that it typically wasn't worthwhile because it required the perfect storm (I needed to be close to the players going damage without being revealed / needed to be near the right guys / needed to be able to quickly see their scrolls / they needed to have a 120 drop / I needed to steal the scroll and then make it out alive). Needless to say the chances of all these happening were slim so typically I find it better just playing at an off-time (or ghost shard) and solo'ing the champ myself to get 6 scrolls (6 chances at a 120).

Assuming I'm not stealing powerscrolls and I'm not stealing the once a month type drops like the painting in Doom; is there really anything worthwhile to steal? Even though I haven't used the smuggler's edge, I'd probably agree that stealing from monsters / bosses has very limited benefits so I'd be interested to hear what other people are doing with their thieves (outside of Siege).

PageBoy

Journeyman
Alka brings up a question I was actually pondering the other day... is there really a point of having a thief these days? I have one with 120 stealing / 100 snooping / etc but haven't played him in years. I found that when I did sit around at a champ spawn trying to steal scrolls that it typically wasn't worthwhile because it required the perfect storm (I needed to be close to the players going damage without being revealed / needed to be near the right guys / needed to be able to quickly see their scrolls / they needed to have a 120 drop / I needed to steal the scroll and then make it out alive). Needless to say the chances of all these happening were slim so typically I find it better just playing at an off-time (or ghost shard) and solo'ing the champ myself to get 6 scrolls (6 chances at a 120).

Assuming I'm not stealing powerscrolls and I'm not stealing the once a month type drops like the painting in Doom; is there really anything worthwhile to steal? Even though I haven't used the smuggler's edge, I'd probably agree that stealing from monsters / bosses has very limited benefits so I'd be interested to hear what other people are doing with their thieves (outside of Siege).
I use the thief for stealing PS from champs I can’t raid.
In one way or another I’ll have your damn scroll :p

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
It's just a bucket list of mine to steal an artifact. I've never done it and want to. Just to try it. I'd be happy taking a skull candle. If it's not much trouble and I succeed, I might do it some more. I know there isn't money in it but just want to be able to say I stole an artifact. Ideally, I'd like to go for the academic books, so I can make one of those new book shelves with my carpenter.

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I believe all dungeon stealables are 10 stones. You likely need a higher stealing skill. I think 100.0 stealing may actually be a minimum requirement.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Before my move to Siege, I played a thief on Atlantic quite a bit and I could definitely see why you would wonder if there is really a point to playing a thief. Insurance is the thief's worst enemy so the only thing really worth stealing on a consistent basis is powerscrolls. Occasionally, you will catch someone with an uninsured item. Once you do it for a while, you start to notice patterns in the way people set up their packs which makes it easy to quickly identify an item which may be uninsured. As far as the "perfect storm" requirement for stealing at a champ spawn, that's only partially true. There are tactics that can be employed to increase your odds of success and survival, but some of these are closely guarded secrets that are learned either through experience or taught to you by other thieves. It truly is a commitment and not a get-rich-quick scheme, most people would not think it worth their time. Thieving requires incredible patience and will likely not make you rich or popular with the community.

I do advocate that everyone should at least try it for a time as there is nothing quite like it in any other game. There is something about going face-to-face with another player and coming out ahead when you know that the other player can and will tear you limb from limb if you make even the slightest mistake. You get a rush from it. If you smoke, make sure you got a pack on reserve.

But, yeah, the truth is that if you want action, excitement, adventure, and the chance to make a tidy profit with stealing, Siege is the place to be. Stealing is much more difficult on production shards since there is passive detect and the players you see there are mostly fully geared hardened PvPers using 3rd party programs. Production shards are a great place to practice tactics, and even though it is more difficult, it just feels kind of cheap to me, like playing against an AI. On Siege, it feels much more genuine, it's hard to explain, I guess you'd have to try it.

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
I believe all dungeon stealables are 10 stones. You likely need a higher stealing skill. I think 100.0 stealing may actually be a minimum requirement.
Oh, well, I'm up to 92 now, and likely will be GM by tomorrow I hope, gains starting to slow down.

PageBoy

Journeyman
Oh, well, I'm up to 92 now, and likely will be GM by tomorrow I hope, gains starting to slow down.
With 90 stealing skill you can use burglar’s bandana and shadow dancer leggings to reach 120 (plus 30 stealth and 10 snooping points)

As a thief, you’ll def want 120 stealing

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
**UPDATE!**
Ok, I have GM real stealth and steal and bought Shadow Dancer Legs, so I guess I just need to go to Doom? Although, I've never been to Doom, so, I need to figure out how to get in and be safe. Is there any other place I can steal stuff? Can I wear a full suit of leather armor, including helm and still stealth 100% of time? If I can't hide, I can cast invis on self I guess. Do you think I should throw on resist?

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Well, I watched a youtube video about a guy stealing stuff in Doom and Tokuno and one thing he did was pre-mark runes that where right next to the items. Than, he casted gate and stealthed in. I think I'm going to add wrestling to my template in case I get hit by something and maybe precast protection so I can get my invi off. There's no stickys here on stratics about Tokuno but I found this on main UO site > Stealing in Dungeons – Ultima Online I would think it would be safest in there compared to any other dungeon right? Oh yea, is there a primer I should eat that would help this character?

PageBoy

Journeyman
Ninjitsu primer III.

You’ll gain shadow “Makes the ninja more difficult to become unhidden from taking damage and being revealed based on ninjitsu skill, stealth skill, and mastery level. Upkeep costs 10 mana and duration is determined by ninjitsu and stealth skill”

And tiger form (dci cap raise from 45 to 50)

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Carry a mage weapon if you are concerned about getting hit, make jewelry that clears off the -skill from the weapon.

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Ninjitsu primer III.

You’ll gain shadow “Makes the ninja more difficult to become unhidden from taking damage and being revealed based on ninjitsu skill, stealth skill, and mastery level. Upkeep costs 10 mana and duration is determined by ninjitsu and stealth skill”

And tiger form (dci cap raise from 45 to 50)
Ok, thanks. :)

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
*UPDATE!*
I stole something! It was a basket from the Yoshimo mines. BTW I did not know you could not recall out of there, that made it a bit of a pain.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well... Congratulations... Was it exciting?
You should really try it when some other player will tear you apart if you are caught. I still remember my first time, orange petals, lol. I think I huffed down like 6 cigarettes afterwards. But the experience isn't complete until someone cries and you can taste the tears of your victim!

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
You know m
Well... Congratulations... Was it exciting?
You should really try it when some other player will tear you apart if you are caught. I still remember my first time, orange petals, lol. I think I huffed down like 6 cigarettes afterwards. But the experience isn't complete until someone cries and you can taste the tears of your victim!
You know, maybe I will try a champ spawn now. I got a confidence boost and want to roll with it. :D

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know m

You know, maybe I will try a champ spawn now. I got a confidence boost and want to roll with it. :D
You should, it's fun and a decent adventure. It's possible that you manage to get a scroll, I would consider working up your sacrifice on this char and being able to self res inside of the dungeon as it makes for an unexpected return.