• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Oh Flaming Cannonballs!

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wondering...

Are these any good on today's market? And why?

I know they are from the olden days and all... but I never used one before. I tried one out the other day and it seams to be a combination of a normal cannonball AND a grapeshot. Robbery of a merchant ship, the last thing you really want is the crew upset. Normally, they stand by and let you run wild... as well they should, in the face of pirating pixies. However, it really doesnt tend to seam "worth wild" to even spend grapeshot on the cannons... using up valuable powder charges vs. crippling ships. When an orc ship comes In to range, let them deal with the big dog when the breach is ready.

Does anyone use the flaming cannonballs at all?

And what are they general worth in the open market?

I did a vendor search and saw an INSANE price of 1m per unit. I couldn't think how thats even possible unless there's something I dont see someplace.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
it seems like the flame cannon balls are worthless, unless there's something I don't know about. I would get from turning in a captured pirate. one thing I notice, if your take over the orc, pirate and/or merchant ships, you will get back more of the cannonballs, fuses and power charges than you used to stop and take over ship. so you actually gain in cannon resources which is nice. I do have to repair the cannon a lot though. don't let the cannon get to heavily damaged, it can blow up and you will lose all the resources in it lol.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and the frost cannons balls exactly what do those do?
Frosty Cannonballs? lol. Now... that is kind of what I was saying before about some extras in loot would have been nice to see. Like a way to actually set the ship on fire in battle... as would happen in real life (back in the day) or a net cannonball. Maybe, if they do exist, a frost ball is more like a "magical effect"... what would be totally coolsville in my mind's eye. "Magic Ammo". Yeah.

Lord Arm … as you said, I agree before. hehe. I just totally dont understand why they would be on vendors 1m a pop. I double checked. Funny thing is, I never remember collecting these back when High Seas was new. I had forgotten about them too. I do have to "slightly" disagree on the captured ammo. I find some things DO have more... but powder charges I have to add some now and then. If I could double charge them? You know I would! :p What really does not renew is the iron ingots. Seams the cannons take a tich more of a beating... but thats not a problem. I'll trade up for valerate any day of the week. :thumbup:

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They only do 5200 damage from an orc ship. Which an orc ship gets the extra damage boost so I don't know what that is from the other ships. I only tried it on a lighthouse. There is a gent who has kept track of the drops from doing the pirate turn in and he has only received 2 frost cannon balls in the past year or more? He does them kinda all the time so those I could see the frost being a million gold for display.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Literally yrs of pirating on the High Seas for a grand total of 87 flame cannon balls & 63 frost cannon balls. I may have used 6-8 of each when HS 1st came out to test them (in Tram on ships). Didn’t see any advantage to them over regular ones but 6-8 is hardly a fair sample & extremely limited range of testing. I was hoping someone else would test them using their stockpile & post results but that never happened so I just kept saving mine. I’ve wondered if they may have some advantage in Fel PvP over grapeshot, damaging players and ships simultaneously but never tested.

Would be nice to get a definitive word on their designed use b/c since their introduction so many years ago the only functional use I’ve ever seen or heard was deco.:arr:

@Kyronix @Bleak

Last edited:

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Literally yrs of pirating on the High Seas for a grand total of 87 flame cannon balls & 63 frost cannon balls. I may have used 6-8 of each when HS 1st came out to test them (in Tram on ships). Didn’t see any advantage to them over regular ones but 6-8 is hardly a fair sample & extremely limited range of testing. I was hoping someone else would test them using their stockpile & post results but that never happened so I just kept saving mine. I’ve wondered if they may have some advantage in Fel PvP over grapeshot, damaging players and ships simultaneously but never tested.

Would be nice to get a definitive word on their designed use b/c since their introduction so many years ago the only functional use I’ve ever seen or heard was deco.:arr:

@Kyronix @Bleak
With the new content, I think the barrel to get ship resources is still on test and there are fire and frost in the barrel. If I have time, I will pop over there to test. I am sure my current ship is gone. oops!

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
both frost and fire did 5200 (when fired from an orc ship) to ships as well and caused the blue merchants to agro which little numbers flew up so they took some damage.
both frost and fire did 4000 (when fired from a tokuno ship) rest the same on agro.

Orc does 150% cannon damage according to the people who make all the cool charts and diagrams.

So some math somewhere is wrong as...

regular cannon ball does 5000 from normal ship, 6500 from orc which is 30% increase.
frost and fire does 4000 from normal ship, 5200 from orc ship which is 30% increase.

or I don't understand what the 150% means, which very well could be the case.

To me 150 would be 5000 +2500 = 7500?

for grapeshot, yeah, I can't add that. :D

Attachments

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great job testing ! TY :thumbup:

So I guess they could do well in ocean PvP battles. If that was ever a thing, I seem to have missed out on it. At the rate & number they drop as rewards you would only need to farm 2-3 years to get enough for 5-6 battles. Seems worth it, right? :grin:

Had they ever been used for High Sea PvP, I’d assume some folks would of complained abt drop rates. Maybe even suggested they drop with the ship part instead of either/or. Would be nice to give them an actual purpose but with the time required to obtain enough of them for battles I don’t think that was ever achieved. :confused2:

If I’m wrong, please, someone let’s us know if you’ve ever used them in PvP.

Maybe the intent was simply deco?

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The grapeshot took out the ship and one npc when I was testing. I just could not count up the damage amount. It took only 11 grapeshots , but the npc chars I felt didn't take too much damage. Maybe we need a testing session on test where we fire cannons at each other?!!? yeah? yeah?

swroberts

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the highest damage, I saw a screen shot of 7474, to the plundercannons, on the up facebook page, using an orc ship with one of the bard masteries(no idea which one)... Not really related to the OP topic, but interesting cannon damage talk

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly I think pirates quests could use more rewards like comon its been out for few years and there are only 2 rewards which one being the flame cannonball (1 x ) only one , I want a stack of 10 x cannonballs per quest. I want rewards added to the list !

Also Charybdis, can we have a revamp please ? It is the most demanding/effort boss to summon in the game, with a limit of like 3 per real day per shard, and it drops pretty much nothing special except that one health piece of armor.

Last edited:

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3 rewards actually.
Flame & Frost cannonball and the ship part.

Yea, the rewards could use alil :heart:

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I most commonly see cannon deeds, both small and large. Then white cloth dye tubs. Dont think I ever saw a ship part inside the hold... only as rewards, but you have to wonder why they aren't in the hold now and then. Most commonly, only as rewards... the worthless flame cannonball. Never seen that frost ball. Even as a décor item... it may be nice, but if its worth nothing in battle? I dont see it.

It also seams I get a lot of 2 or 3 of the 8 parts. hehe. BUT I guess thats just why they should go on a vendor.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Are people receiving the frost cannon balls even now? I've claimed well over 100 pirate quest rewards and I've gotten 2 full orc ships (lots of extra parts) & like 50 flaming cannonballs but absolutely ZERO frost cannon balls.

Maybe it matters where you hunt? Im mainly in Tokuno now but I was in Tram near Jhelm (maybe I need to be in Fel??)

Doesn't seem like it matters because I also noticed the fire cannon balls actually did less damage which I think makes them kind of pointless but would still be a cool decoration.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Have gotten a few frost ones in the last week or so. I just shoot them and the fire ones at orc ships when I have a dozen or so , ya know enough to make a stack

Saves a little on crafting new balls lol

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
never got a frost ball , and yes Ive also made about 3 orcs ship so far

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Days later...

I'm still seeing flame cannonballs (ATLANTIC) 1 million gold each. Its a real head-scratcher. Inside a 2 hour hunt, you can get 10 of them (or at least it feels like it). I just dump mine in stack in a basket, with all the real tresures I get in the same hunt.

I did see, however... first time... a frost cannonball. Just tonight (Vendor Search). Again, 1 million... and they are RARE in my book. Must have a stack of flames of 100+ by now. Never saw a frosty as a reward or anything.