• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Rising Tide Scenario

BlackXGlass

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Just a quick question on the upcoming Rising Tide Scenario. Does this scenario require the High Seas Expansion. If no then fine but if the answer is yes has anyone heard if this will be provided or are we all required to get High Seas in order to participate. Just curious

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just a quick question on the upcoming Rising Tide Scenario. Does this scenario require the High Seas Expansion. If no then fine but if the answer is yes has anyone heard if this will be provided or are we all required to get High Seas in order to participate. Just curious
Going to need high seas. Yes you need to purchase it.

BlackXGlass

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Going to need high seas. Yes you need to purchase it.
Ok thx for the info. I will definitely NOT be purchasing High Seas . The track record of events Is poor enough that I don't think it warrants any investment for it no matter how small. I also do not believe that anyone should have to purchase anything extra to participate in what is supposed to be an event for everyone. Just my opinion and personal code-anyone else can do as they wish

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The new trend is to host events on test center before the content is even stable. IMO pretty lame to have better events on your beta servers than on your prodo servers, but it is what it is.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
High Seas has been out for nearly nine years.

Expecting the majority of accounts to have it by now, and thus basing events around updating its content, is perfectly appropriate.

Maybe they'll run a sale on the expansion.

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

Expecting the majority of accounts to have it by now, and thus basing events around updating its content, is perfectly appropriate.

Since it's been out for nine years already, they really should just give it to everyone that has a paid subscription in my opinion.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Since it's been out for nine years already, they really should just give it to everyone that has a paid subscription in my opinion.
They have already upgraded everyone to SA and ToL... which they gave free to anyone at the time... so I think cut them some slack either you like fishing and pirating or you don't ... if you haven't bought it in 9 years that's on you.

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
What kind of nine year old content are people willing to pay for? Everyone that would be likely to pay for it, would have done so already. Besides, it's not just for fishing and pirating, you also get 20% House and Bank storage increase. That is well worth whatever they are currently charging for the expansion these days.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What kind of nine year old content are people willing to pay for? Everyone that would be likely to pay for it, would have done so already. Besides, it's not just for fishing and pirating, you also get 20% House and Bank storage increase. That is well worth whatever they are currently charging for the expansion these days.
I know it is... that's why I've paid for it on all of my accounts. But I did that 9 years ago. I felt it was well worth the money... still do.

Fortis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Any active subscription should have acces to all expensions...like others ea mmo. Time of legends was free before and high seas almost 10 years old.. It s 35$ for both damn to high. Make a bundle between 15-20$ max. I understand for ej no acces but paid subscrition let s go

BlackXGlass

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Looks like I kicked up a bit of a hornets nest . I personally play one account and that is it. I will never go in for the expansions as I feel there would just be no end to it. It gets to be the one with the biggest Visa wins and I choose not to play that particular game . Nuff said

Mr Bug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are also a few high seas items that are decent and require the expansion in order to use them. Plus the extra 20% storage increase is a nice boost.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally Ihave not purchased high seas basically out of protest of the mind numbing incessive grind and unecessary complexity required with everything involved in it. However with this new release streamlining the processes and added new content I will certainly be buying it now. 12 bucks seems pretty reasonable considering the added content.

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
You spend hours and hours playing this game. Support their content for a $15 one time purchase. This is the cost of a single drink at the bar, and provides endlessly more hours of activity.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Origin High Seas Booster pack
$14.99 and it also comes with a 20% House and Bank storage increase

Origin Ultima Online Housing and Bank Storage Upgrade Code
@19.99 20% boost in storage in both your home and your bank

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You spend hours and hours playing this game. Support their content for a $15 one time purchase. This is the cost of a single drink at the bar, and provides endlessly more hours of activity.
I don't know, if given to the right person that $15 drink could lead to way more fun for way longer.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I haven't seen anything that mentioned having the expansion or not but i'd assume you'd need it for upcoming content.

*Fingers crossed still* that they won't screw up SOS's/MIB'S for my GM Fishers on every server!

Oh and good thing I have the High Seas expansion already on all of my 14 accounts!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I haven't seen anything that mentioned having the expansion or not but i'd assume you'd need it for upcoming content.

*Fingers crossed still* that they won't screw up SOS's/MIB'S for my GM Fishers on every server!

Oh and good thing I have the High Seas expansion already on all of my 14 accounts!
Same...

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Looks like I kicked up a bit of a hornets nest . I personally play one account and that is it. I will never go in for the expansions as I feel there would just be no end to it. It gets to be the one with the biggest Visa wins and I choose not to play that particular game . Nuff said
Seriously? Expansions, paid or free provide new content. And indeed, I hope there is no end to them. Most MMOs charge players for expansions that they release on a continuous basis, and here is nothing wrong with that. If you'd rather keep playing same content for a decade because $14.99 is just too steep, that's on you. Most people find it money well spent.
Moreover, you seem to be confusing pay to win items or services with new content. They are not the same thing.

BlackXGlass

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Seriously? Expansions, paid or free provide new content. And indeed, I hope there is no end to them. Most MMOs charge players for expansions that they release on a continuous basis, and here is nothing wrong with that. If you'd rather keep playing same content for a decade because $14.99 is just too steep, that's on you. Most people find it money well spent.
Moreover, you seem to be confusing pay to win items or services with new content. They are not the same thing.
No confusion at all actually. I have gotten expansions in the past . The price does not bother me in the least. What bothers me is the policy of trying to get me to buy an expansion in order to be able to participate in what looks like the only scenario that will be run this year . As for supporting EA (ROFL) they get my support money every month and to date it looks pretty much a one - way support as I have never received any support in return over the years. Not complaining-its just the way it is . Besides , this way there will be so much more for the rest , lol . If you like the way they have set it up then more power to you and enjoy . I will continue to log on for an hour or so and kill a dragon , pat myself on the back , and hang up the sword for another day .

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Will EJ accounts be prevented from buying High Seas as they won't be able to use quite a bit of the content because they can't own the boats? So by default they would be excluded from the new content too?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Will EJ accounts be prevented from buying High Seas as they won't be able to use quite a bit of the content because they can't own the boats? So by default they would be excluded from the new content too?
They could sell the boats in the store just like mounts and have EJ player spent money.

But its UO, they will probably stick to their old mantra of "sub or we don't want your money at all".

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EJ accounts cannot own ships themselves, but they can be invited to board someone else's ship if they buy High Seas.

So they could still pay to participate in a group. Each EJ player can decide if this is worth his money or not...

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No confusion at all actually. I have gotten expansions in the past . The price does not bother me in the least. What bothers me is the policy of trying to get me to buy an expansion in order to be able to participate in what looks like the only scenario that will be run this year . As for supporting EA (ROFL) they get my support money every month and to date it looks pretty much a one - way support as I have never received any support in return over the years. Not complaining-its just the way it is . Besides , this way there will be so much more for the rest , lol . If you like the way they have set it up then more power to you and enjoy . I will continue to log on for an hour or so and kill a dragon , pat myself on the back , and hang up the sword for another day .
I seriously doubt that this year event was an evil plan hatched to force people to buy a 10 year old expansion. An overwhelming majority of the players own it and every other expansion that has been released. Players have been asking for years to update the High Seas content an devs listened and discussed it in the past. This what most likely prompted these plans, not a perspective of getting 5 players who did not buy High Seas in the preceding decade to finally part with their hard earned $14.99.
And if your game play consists of killing a dragon a day, pardon me, but that's a sad way to go and you are wasting your subscription money. Most players would not settle for this, which is why they are ok to pay for the new content (which in this case is positively ancient in MMO terms).

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You pay your money, then you play as you wish. Or not play at all. I have a friend that has three accounts and hasn't logged on in years. Whenever I see them, I always tell them about any new content or events occurring in UO in the hopes that they will come back and actively play the game. However, sadly, they just keep the accounts active to hold on to their legacy houses. Go figure. Others just get into game and bank-sit and use UO as a chat room and hardly ever participate in any actual gaming. To each his or her own. Cheers!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

i never bought it. for me it was 15 bucks to be able to wear one dci sash (when i can just where the other dci sash without spending 15 bucks)

willing to bet many are in same boat, it never really had any "must have" content.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its hard to say what youll actually need high seas for. youd need it to use a high seas boat, but historically theres also content thats available to anyone. event-wise, the rising tide events are coming up this month on the asian shards. im pretty sure you can participate without high seas (but may have to bring your own boat if the EMs use the high seas ones)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One of the biggest reasons to get the High Seas expansion was/is the %20 storage increase for only $15 that is a $5 savings over the other %20 storage increase and the only way to get your storage to %60 max.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think some may not realize that the storage increase of 20% stacks with the one you buy for $20 to get you to the max possible storage of 60%. I bought high seas when I came back years ago found the rewards a bit lacking after sailing for a few weeks. I am glad they are adding content that seems it will be worth the time. I am hoping the rewards for time spent are going to be worthwhile. Only current wish is that they would have made a ridiculous giant parrot that you could level 2-5 slots.

BlackXGlass

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I seriously doubt that this year event was an evil plan hatched to force people to buy a 10 year old expansion. An overwhelming majority of the players own it and every other expansion that has been released. Players have been asking for years to update the High Seas content an devs listened and discussed it in the past. This what most likely prompted these plans, not a perspective of getting 5 players who did not buy High Seas in the preceding decade to finally part with their hard earned $14.99.
And if your game play consists of killing a dragon a day, pardon me, but that's a sad way to go and you are wasting your subscription money. Most players would not settle for this, which is why they are ok to pay for the new content (which in this case is positively ancient in MMO terms).
Whatever, lol .
You play however you want and I will play however I want. Which really is how I would think anyone would do. if the majority have or want High Seas that's great. Not trying to really convince you or anyone else on what to have or not have . As allways it comes down to individual choice . Not going to even bother responding to this line anymore as I think the Horse has been beaten to death
Stay Calm and Chive on
:}

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess the OP never played WoW or Diablo or UO. All have had content upgrades that you needed to buy a new version to use since they were released. Common practice with games.

Maybe the High Seas will be half price for a month.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not even a Scenario: 1st part fix the screwed up cannon system, 2nd part revision for T-hunters, 3rd part rework The High Seas boss Encounter, 4th part add the Jolly Roger aha worked for Johnny Depth! Why not UO Development Team. Makes for a lite work year lets call it DONE! Were not getting anything new, except for the Jolly Roger encounter.