• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Removing gold checks from UO was an extremly stupid and short-sighted thing... because of this

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Almost since day one, I was part of a very small group on Atlantic that was charged with helping newer players. Never giving a fish to a better that will feed him for a day... TEACHING him how to fish to feed him a life time.

I had NOT gotten hold of the first stand-along mall yet... and that was in big part to the 9/11 lock up the staff (of the time did) that made a new RASH of scammers pretending to sell houses they didnt own... by first time house buyers. A little black scroll... as it would look like in the real case of selling a house. The scammer would stand under the sign offering a common 5 gold scroll and hope the victim wouldnt click on it. 1-5 million in stolen funds and the staff doing nothing to police the system... as they MADE the issue... and refuse to correct it for years. Then the scroll changed to an open vivid blue scroll that could not be copied at all... that was a massive fix.

Before the fix... I had unexperienced friends looking for house... all the time. Any real house up for real sale didnt last all that long, so I'd have to drop what I was doing and simply change places with the friend buying the house. Then, sure as could be, it was a blank scroll scam... the criminal would recall off, busted... and the word would go out of his name and scam. I honestly dont know how many times I stood-in catching the criminal... or simple educated the buyer so the scammers couldn't pull the same crime.

So... in a way... as SMALL as the range of houses I was dealing in... I was a broker. Not that I claim to save the univerce... I was helping. Fee? Any donation would do. I wasnt pressed for gold... not having much. Sometimes I got the rubbish in all the containers. Sell that? Paid.

Houses were not the end of it. Connecting seller of A to buyer B was not uncommon... and without vendors. People all over Atlantic are from ALL OVER THE WORLD. Part of the amazing real magic of our world. I'd pass the goods and checks when both parties couldn't be in the same place at the same time. When the mailboxes came... this was a great help. Hold goods A... drop gold to seller in a mailbox. Cake! :)

We sure cant do that any more... thanks to the short-sighted removal of gold.

Did you know, on some online selling services... the seller can make goods for sale to YOU and no one else? Anyone would search and search and never find the goods that seller made ready for you. Clearly, when this happens to me... I'm on it soon as I know... OR when I have the funds. Everything agreed before the deal.

I could be wrong. I thought there was some talk about doing personal sales via our vendors... many years ago. Since the Vendor Search (that I love A LOT), you can turn off the search system when you use a vendor to store boxes/containers or even low-priced crafting tools so people wont clean them out... the vendor being off the beaten path from the vendor mall FULL of goods for sale.

Another thing... I always kept a bag with around 30-40 million gold checks so any 1 of my 6 accounts could grab them in a hurry. Those didnt vanish! But they cant be replace.

So now... I have a little problem. 2 friends, that do not know each other… who are on drastically different time systems. The goods... it takes time to collect black and white seeds, doing the ant seed quest, where she needs at least 20 or more seeds before the buyer will deal with it. Its extremely easy for me to take the seeds, pay her on the spot, give him the seeds and he pay me.... BUT I would much prefer getting the checks and handing them off between 2 containers. Containers can NOT hold gold. I also dont trust those wall safe things. Thus... I'm miffed, once again, by the lack of our dependable old check system.

Just saying.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
What are you saying? I appreciate that you no longer force us to read the purple text. I really am having a hard time following what you are saying here...

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thus... I'm miffed, once again, by the lack of our dependable old check system.
Is this satire?

Checks:
Could be lost from your house falling
Took up room in your bank or backpack (Hence some people needing to store them at their house)
You had to check every single check in large transactions (to make sure you were being given the correct amount)
Had to do installments in payments for many things including houses
Had to use multiple packhorses or multiple trips on shard xfers
Only usable by the character who currently had them, need to shuffle them around among your other characters
To buy items on vendors for 175m required you to completely fill your bank with nothing but checks + have all storage increases purchased

New Currency System:
You cant lose it
Doesn't take up any room
Easily read number typed into trade window
No limit on the amount you can trade in the window
Can make full payments by just typing a number
Can transfer easily
Any character you own on that shard has access to your gold
Can buy any item on a vendor without sacrificing room in your bank

Man yea, I sure do miss that dependable ol check system

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
If you are the broker... you are the bank.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not drunk enough yet to understand this post. Maybe I will come back when I am.

Checks sucked, I hated them. Taking up valuable bank space, can be duped, etc. I like most of the old school mechanics of UO, but not checks. In fact I wish you could just loot a corpse and the gold would go into your bank like every other mmo.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Is this satire?

Checks:
Could be lost from your house falling
Took up room in your bank or backpack (Hence some people needing to store them at their house)
You had to check every single check in large transactions (to make sure you were being given the correct amount)
Had to do installments in payments for many things including houses
Had to use multiple packhorses or multiple trips on shard xfers
Only usable by the character who currently had them, need to shuffle them around among your other characters
To buy items on vendors for 175m required you to completely fill your bank with nothing but checks + have all storage increases purchased

New Currency System:
You cant lose it
Doesn't take up any room
Easily read number typed into trade window
No limit on the amount you can trade in the window
Can make full payments by just typing a number
Can transfer easily
Any character you own on that shard has access to your gold
Can buy any item on a vendor without sacrificing room in your bank

Man yea, I sure do miss that dependable ol check system
Agreed...

Most importantly a person does not have to recall in and out 10-20 times on high end purchases where they have to keep filling their bank box...

Jennifer-Marie

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
— Well ... wall safes were made for trading gold when all parties aren’t around. That was the “fix” for this type of situation,

The one thing the devs didn’t do with wall safes is make them like mailboxes. I’m not sure if the coding was too complex for them or what, but if they made wall safes with a dual security setting then anyone could deposit and only the owner (or whomever the owner has set to a security setting - like friends, guild, or co-owner) can withdraw.

So if wall safes could be set up like mailboxes? That would fix the gold transfer when people aren’t always around at the same time.

Not that that would solve the problem of a buyer with gold and a seller with goods - but then, they just need to coordinate a meeting like normal people.

superfrog

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Removing checks definitely made it easier for folks to do business, and move their gold around without the need of a broker. I really like being able to take my gold with me on a shard transfer and not having checks take up all my space. One of the smartest changes made ever.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't understand what the **** the OP is on about but I'm 99% sure they could use the wall safe. Don't trust it? Why?!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
there's a way to still get checks too :)
Yep, and I have no idea why they didn't change that.

OP is pissed because brokers are no longer needed. Best thing UO did was get rid of checks so people couldn't dupe them anymore.
Checks are still easily obtainable in any amount you want, and they still get duped.
  1. Set up a rental vendor at your house.
  2. Put however much gold you want on the vendor.
  3. Cancel the rental vendor's contract and allow it to fall.
  4. Wait a week for the vendor contents to be transferred to the house moving crate
  5. Open the moving crate and all the gold on the vendor is now in a bag in check form. 100m = 100 one million checks. There is no limit. I've seen bags with 2 billion in 1m checks in my moving crate before when a vendor falls. Moving crate bags have no real item limits, so on the bag it says 2,000/125 items total and lets you pull them all out.
This isn't a bug, which is why I'm openly posting it. It was designed this way and they just never removed it after removing checks for some reason.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Captn Norrington

while i agree its nice to still be able to make gold checks, im pretty sure it is an unintentional exploit. otherwise youd be able to withdraw a check instantly from your bank via game mechanic rather than side effect of a vendor falling. if it was intended it would have been explained in the pub notes when the banking system was revamped, or mentioned on the official uo.com description that was put up.

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Captn Norrington

while i agree its nice to still be able to make gold checks, im pretty sure it is an unintentional exploit. otherwise youd be able to withdraw a check instantly from your bank via game mechanic rather than side effect of a vendor falling. if it was intended it would have been explained in the pub notes when the banking system was revamped, or mentioned on the official uo.com description that was put up.
Perhaps, but I know this has been reported to the developers many times over the years and it's never been fixed, so I guess they don't mind it staying that way.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps, but I know this has been reported to the developers many times over the years and it's never been fixed, so I guess they don't mind it staying that way.
yeah you know i dont care. not like its game breaking and really duping actually checks i dont think has been a thing in years. good way to test post on UO.com see if they delete post lol. ive reported so many exploits, usually never even get response. just UO for ya.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
yeah you know i dont care. not like its game breaking and really duping actually checks i dont think has been a thing in years. good way to test post on UO.com see if they delete post lol. ive reported so many exploits, usually never even get response. just UO for ya.
BUT they "fixed" the Bamboo Floor "exploit", so some pshycotic and VERY vocal Red PvP kiddy can gain some pico-seconds in their daily killing spree, and in doing so DESTROYED singlehandly whole Player created Villages Art, horray, horray... :cursing:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
BUT they "fixed" the Bamboo Floor "exploit", so some pshycotic and VERY vocal Red PvP kiddy can gain some pico-seconds in their daily killing spree, and in doing so DESTROYED singlehandly whole Player created Villages Art, horray, horray... :cursing:
<º))))><

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Cry me a river.. they fixed an exploit and fixed the game for tons of people not to have to be subjected to someones idea of art... whoopee... I can still see the rainbow unicorn puke if I wanted to just by doing what I'd have to do at any other house if I wanted to see their stuff... I could *gasp* step on the plot...

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Speaking of vendors falling and claiming money...

I might be out of luck here but is there a way to claim your vendors gold from a magincia stable vendor if you were outbid/didn't have enough money to upkeep the contract? I went on vacation and didn't realize my pet vendor didn't have enough money on it... I came back to find my vendor was no longer there. I tried clicking the sign but didn't have an option to "claim" anything. This happened a little while ago and I sort of chalked up the 10+ million I had on there as a loss but I'd love to know if there actually was a way to retrieve the money from that vendor if possible.

Thanks!

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Speaking of vendors falling and claiming money...

I might be out of luck here but is there a way to claim your vendors gold from a magincia stable vendor if you were outbid/didn't have enough money to upkeep the contract? I went on vacation and didn't realize my pet vendor didn't have enough money on it... I came back to find my vendor was no longer there. I tried clicking the sign but didn't have an option to "claim" anything. This happened a little while ago and I sort of chalked up the 10+ million I had on there as a loss but I'd love to know if there actually was a way to retrieve the money from that vendor if possible.

Thanks!
There’s an npc at the bank that holds materials and gold iirc. Something like a warehouse agent or something similar

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You can still make checks, vendors with gold on them drop checks when a house decays. Old vendors placed before the new vendor limits were put in place occasionally drop a check worth much, much more than the 1m limit too. It's kinda fun to find a 500m+ check that deposits just fine.

The problem with UO is that when the devs change something they cannot possibly know what the full impact will be with other game mechanics but leave it to clever players to figure out unintended uses. Checks were just too easy to dupe and by removing them duping actual gold became more difficult.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can still make checks, vendors with gold on them drop checks when a house decays. Old vendors placed before the new vendor limits were put in place occasionally drop a check worth much, much more than the 1m limit too. It's kinda fun to find a 500m+ check that deposits just fine.

The problem with UO is that when the devs change something they cannot possibly know what the full impact will be with other game mechanics but leave it to clever players to figure out unintended uses. Checks were just too easy to dupe and by removing them duping actual gold became more difficult.
I don't believe duping of gold checks has been that popular for at least a decade. You could make so much more simply by duping rares (see two story statue).