• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Custom Castle Feedback Request

Hail and well met! At the bequest of a few friends, I would like to humbly submit my castle design for criticism and feedback. I know there are going to be some great designs out there, but were I to build my own, I feel that this is a decent combination of usable, decorative, and even themed space. I look forward to your thoughts!

If I could add one thing to the housing competition, it would be a book to explain your theme, as it were. I've only recently come back after a long absence, but have really enjoyed the new opportunities in crafting and deco. With that in mind, I left the core levels of the house open, so that walls, floor tiles, etc. could be added at will.

I tried my best to décor with all the deeds I could manage, but of course décor is in the owners eye when it comes to housing.

I also apologize for the gumps in the dungeon, I'm not used to the EC version . . .

Miner of Minoc
Lake Austin Castle Contest Roof.png Castle Contest 2nd Floor.png Castle Contest First Floor.png Castle Contest Dungeon.png

I like it.

A lot of windows for a castle.
Thanks Ezekiel!

I tend to like using the different colored stained glass, but you made me realize that took a bunch of wall space off the decorative south and east facing walls, so I pulled some of the windows on those walls and on the "first" floor level south and east walls.

If I could put a corner staircase in from the actual second to third/third to fourth floors I would do so, but I guess that trick only works on the ground to first floor.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you believe in gravity at all...

It would never work. :) Sorry!

I mean... I hate sounding horrid... if you filled it with crates... you could say the Arc is being studied by TOP MEN. :D

Seriously. Please check out some real castles in the world online. Its not going to cost you anything.

Well EPW, since all you can see are the actual floor tiles themselves, I'll roleplay the fact that there are beams distributing all that flooring above the grass(since the floor tiles are all you can see standing inside), and *wait for it* MAGIC SPELLS are holding up the rest of it:eek::eek::eek:!!! I know, I know, shock and dismay that actual real world physics barely apply in a game with dragons, wizards, and the like.

Seriously though, you're going to have to find some fun somewhere in this, outside of real world applications ;).

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I LOVE this design! I would definitely use it, very well done!

This is the only thing about this contest I don't like....I am going to want a different design every time :/

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the design and the fact you removed some of the windows. The only thing I don't like is all the different flooring you used on the ground floor which I know can be covered with tiles or carpet that the tiles generate lag. I like the small dungeon with only a limited number of cells so they don't take up much space and I noticed the Secret door leading from the stable into the keep. Nice job!

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well EPW, since all you can see are the actual floor tiles themselves, I'll roleplay the fact that there are beams distributing all that flooring above the grass(since the floor tiles are all you can see standing inside), and *wait for it* MAGIC SPELLS are holding up the rest of it:eek::eek::eek:!!! I know, I know, shock and dismay that actual real world physics barely apply in a game with dragons, wizards, and the like.

Seriously though, you're going to have to find some fun somewhere in this, outside of real world applications ;).
There is magic theory... and total rubbish. Thank the gods you dont design houses in the real world.

I have studied such things. I was engaged to an architect. I also study history..... AND I greatly enjoy the custom design aspect of our UO houses. So, no. There is "theory" and "rubbish". The whole reason they are not allowing castles and keeps to be true customizable is we would have endless Borg Cubes thanks to the lazy.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Evilpixie your comments are unnessary. Uo is not real life so to attack a design based on real life is not helpful. The original poster is looking for in game ideas. Such as the window comment. This is the second castle thread you have done this in.
I'd love to see your castle idea. I really don't like the current one as the main keep is in the wrong postion.

There is magic theory... and total rubbish. Thank the gods you dont design houses in the real world.

I have studied such things. I was engaged to an architect. I also study history..... AND I greatly enjoy the custom design aspect of our UO houses. So, no. There is "theory" and "rubbish". The whole reason they are not allowing castles and keeps to be true customizable is we would have endless Borg Cubes thanks to the lazy.
Well, I guess what I could do is put walls every 4 tiles to make up for the insane virtual weight of the floor above, complete with arches for additional load bearing, negating the idea that people could have crafted walls to add themselves, negating the idea that it’s even worth entering the contest with, and negating the idea that it’s a design I would like for my own self.

At this point I feel like the only design you would actually like is a bare plot. I’d love to see your own version, since you’re perfectly capable of belittling others versions with snide comments.

The fact that you assume they’re all Borg cubes just goes to show you haven’t looked at many designs on TC1 anyway, because I’ve seen plenty that aren’t just square blobs.

This will be my last response to you, and anything further I’ll simply regard as trollish in nature.

Thank you for your “constructive” criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the design and the fact you removed some of the windows. The only thing I don't like is all the different flooring you used on the ground floor which I know can be covered with tiles or carpet that the tiles generate lag. I like the small dungeon with only a limited number of cells so they don't take up much space and I noticed the Secret door leading from the stable into the keep. Nice job!
Thanks Zeke! Believe it or not, i actually agree with you on the alternating flooring. That was where some storyline would come in if I were to be able to lock a book down.

The idea in mind was that it was a small and ancient dungeon that Miner discovered many years ago, with only the stables area in appearance, and the crumbling foundations above. Miner slowly repaired the foundations into a multi level home, and in the process discovered an ancient teleported tile that sent him to the dungeon area.

He eventually found the hidden door to the stables, another hidden passage to the crystal room, and fragments of scrolls detailing a game similar to chess that would have been acted out on the alternating flooring.

Or something like that .

This is the only thing about this contest I don't like....I am going to want a different design every time :/
Thanks Larisa!

I feel the same way, I wound up cycling through all the styles until I settled on the Spires, but even it fell somewhat short of what I like. It’s worth it for anyone who can find a plot on TC to design one, as you never know when you might set off a runaway love reaction .

ill be waiting for fully customizable castle plot
I’m all set up in the Spires for now, unless some one really makes a winning design that catches my fancy. It would be pretty sweet for us all to just do what we wanted to do though!

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I like it was well.

As for different flooring on each floor - you can make a case for it as each floor would have a separate use and be used by different classes in the castle.

WildStar

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
interior far to small...for me lot of wasted deco space floors 2-3-4

yes the spires is best for me so far but it still as its problems like the 2 entrances that have no doors on ground floor like wasted coves

just hoping for something better this time..i really have no time in real life to mess with this myself so good luck to all that do

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hey thats why we all have 3-4 castles knowadays!!!! ...So 3-4 different ones now... yipee

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
interior far to small...for me lot of wasted deco space floors 2-3-4

yes the spires is best for me so far but it still as its problems like the 2 entrances that have no doors on ground floor like wasted coves

just hoping for something better this time..i really have no time in real life to mess with this myself so good luck to all that do
That's because they are not entrances :p and were never meant to be. They are alcoves for vendors and/or deco and the 'door' to them is in front. hehe