• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tinker legs drop rate?

Scruffy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Not sure on drop rate but I finally got a pair to drop. My count was 146 kills before I got one. I used my tamer not sure if that effects anything. I know I had pretty much have up for the day and said ahh I'll do one more and ban there it was.

My rng sucks though. Took over 100 kills to get tangle.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've gotten tinker legs a couple times - maybe one in a hundred - they were selling for 40M - not sure price now

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
First pair I got was around 50 spawns then got another 2 spawns latter and have not gone back. Remember it is a Corpse drop not a pack drop on this one so check the body.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
First pair I got was around 50 spawns then got another 2 spawns latter and have not gone back. Remember it is a Corpse drop not a pack drop on this one so check the body.
Also, what mob did you get it from? UO guide says devourer of souls {renowned} and wyvern {renowned} drop them. I've been doing devourer so far

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I got both mine from the wyvern spawn - I never got anything from devourer and loot is crap - at least you can get 100k or so gold and fairy dust while doing the wyvern spawn - but a sampire can tear through the devourer spawn a whole lot faster (I go with mystic with discord on wyvern spawn)

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I got both mine from the wyvern spawn - I never got anything from devourer and loot is crap - at least you can get 100k or so gold and fairy dust while doing the wyvern spawn - but a sampire can tear through the devourer spawn a whole lot faster (I go with mystic with discord on wyvern spawn)
Ya my sampire did devourer from start to finish in about 5mins. Wyvern took much longer. The spawns easy but that wyvern phys attack + multiple FS was kinda rough at points. I'll use a tamer on wyvern from now on.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Low... no matter which spawn you do... make that VERY low.

Literally hundreds of them done (Wyvern with tamer and Devour with Samp) and only 2 pair. My best legit guess is around 315 kills combined.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Two pair, Devourer. Quicker to do as sampire. I don't know how many times I ran the spawn, perhaps 80-100 total.

croy6325

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
1 pair off the devourer with my samp. i got the drop around my 10th run or so, haven't gotten another pair in the last 50+. i've killed nav 200+ and never seen a tangle......RNG

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
We got our sole Tinker Legs on the first Wyvern we fought, we remember being slightly late for our weekly Guild Meeting while fighting this relatively new Boss and suddenly encountering a weirdly colored Plate Legs among the loot. Didn't know of it's existence at that time! That was on 2 mages. All attempts since have proven fruitless, but haven't managed to fit that in THAT often. About 25 times we'd guestimate, including some Devourer hunts. So we are not expecting another for a while. :):)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've killed that Devourer and the Wyvern 100's of times.... never gotten the tinker legs...

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I’m up to over 60 times and no drops. I farm is extremely quickly with a classic archer.

Archer is faster than every other character, in my opinion.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
... and I've killed Lady Melisande lots of time over the years and never gotten a crimson cincture.

I strongly suspect that there's a component of account number in the random number generator that ensures that your account will never get certain things, and this was put in to promote trade. I just haven't found out what rare thing it is that my account is supposed to be getting more of so that I can trade it for the things I get none of.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i've done all different bosses in the abyss hundreds of times, i gotten one pair of legs in all those runs. have gotten other drops of course, but just the one legs.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got 2 pairs of both champs within about 200-300 kills.

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
For devourer or wyvern? Hard to beat whirlwind sampire for devourer
Devourer.

I can stand in one place with a demon slayer Yumi and 1 shot the first phase and 2 shot the second. I’ve tried it with my sampire and I can’t reach the same efficiency.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Devourer.

I can stand in one place with a demon slayer Yumi and 1 shot the first phase and 2 shot the second. I’ve tried it with my sampire and I can’t reach the same efficiency.
Hmmmm I may try that. What skill setup you use?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
... and I've killed Lady Melisande lots of time over the years and never gotten a crimson cincture.

I strongly suspect that there's a component of account number in the random number generator that ensures that your account will never get certain things, and this was put in to promote trade. I just haven't found out what rare thing it is that my account is supposed to be getting more of so that I can trade it for the things I get none of.

Back in the day we used to do runs of Travisty and Lady M by the dozen or so every night... and night after night someone in the group always got something awesome if it wasn't a mask of Travisty or a super awesome hairdye it was a crimmy..... and time and time again it was NEVER me... until one day I finally got my first one... I kept wondering how Travisty got clothes and almost ignored it... till it finally dawned on me that I had indeed actually gotten a crimmy. My only one I ever got..... but I got it.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Many years ago Draconi was looking into RNG and luck. I vaguely remember him (or another dev) saying that a number is indeed assigned to an account on creation. But what that number did or a range for them was never given.

Mayhem

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many years ago Draconi was looking into RNG and luck. I vaguely remember him (or another dev) saying that a number is indeed assigned to an account on creation. But what that number did or a range for them was never given.
Wouldn't that be interesting...I know I have read several posts speculating this theory, But I don't recall anyone or dev backing this up...It seem like this would cause a huge uproar if this theory was confirmed given acquiring stuff is a huge part of this game.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've always maintained that accounts have a certain "luck" score on them... for most it's average and somewhat positive... for many like myself however, that number is OBVIOUSLY negative... and for others that number can be exceedingly positive...

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wouldn't that be interesting...I know I have read several posts speculating this theory, But I don't recall anyone or dev backing this up...It seem like this would cause a huge uproar if this theory was confirmed given acquiring stuff is a huge part of this game.
When I have some free time I'll try to see if I can find it. I doubt I can though.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did a quick search just to see if I could quickly find it.

Here Draconi talks about the RNG and how he planned on putting out an essay on it. There's some good info in there that should still be mostly correct, but not what I was looking for.
Random Number Generator Questions

I wonder if I read it in his essay that I can't seem to find?

@Mayhem

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That thread is very interesting.

So I kill a spawn boss. It checks my 8 x 8 area and determines if that 8 x 8 area has a drop, then it determines if I deserve a drop.

So RNG has double and triple whammies associated with it. If only I stood 10 squares away I would have got a 120 scroll instead of a 110. Also you have to meet a lot of requirements to get the good drop. Right spot, drop is available, RNG says you get it.

Now, who knows if draconi got around to tinkering with it and what he tinkered with...

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sometimes things seem stuck for month: you do dozens of kills but no tangle, no legs. And then suddenly I get 2 tangles in a row. or 2 legs... strange...

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I just look at it like slot machines... feed it enough and it will eventually pay off.. just not always for you :confused2:

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I got one from the devourer (maybe done it 100-150 times)
but my husband got one from the goblin reknowned just yesterday...

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Goblin renowned? I always thought the legs came only from the wyvern and devourer spawn
Animated Legs of the Insane Tinker - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
The only thing I can figure is that nobody ever kept up with updating what drops where. On this page Artifacts (Stygian Abyss) - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia there are spots that show no drops for the Goblins... I also heard it from a friend one of the Rats Clan area and the Skele Drag Renowned drop them. But those fights take too long.

*edit*
Make that a usually reliable friend who claims to have gotten Tink legs at both of those...

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did a quick search just to see if I could quickly find it.

Here Draconi talks about the RNG and how he planned on putting out an essay on it. There's some good info in there that should still be mostly correct, but not what I was looking for.
Random Number Generator Questions

I wonder if I read it in his essay that I can't seem to find?

@Mayhem
I think he may have posted some of his thoughts about the RNG on his Facebook page.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Hubby did four rounds at the Enslaved Goblins Mini-Champ Spawn in the abyss.
When he said it, I didn't believe him and I turned around to see it in his backpack.
the very next round, there was a staff of resonance in one of the goblin renowned corpse.
He said it didn't have an artifact rarity on it either... I didn't see it when he moused over it either.
I think he said he was throwing it in the trash, otherwise I'd screenshot it...

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think he may have posted some of his thoughts about the RNG on his Facebook page.
Sadly that page is gone. I was thinking about reaching out and asking about it in the off chance he kept his notes. But it appears that isn't possible now.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
I know I've seen some odd occurrences doing programming of my own (class projects, not professional) using RNG APIs (open-sourced obviously, and likely flawed), and some friends more knowledgeable than myself attributed that to the RNG's using the cpu clock to get a seed to generate from. If your cpu gets wonky under a heavy load, you can see some irregularities in random number generation.

Entropy or w/e, I always jokingly referred to it as computer-magic since it certainly didn't seem like science. Add to the fact that in the very intriguing link posted above Draconi mentions it being imperfect (vets be like: whaa? ROFL) and 20 years of patches it's likely semi-scientific at best by this point.

maybe I'm being cynical (or paranoid...) but I wonder if the streakiness is deliberately coded in, to tease us with the occasional taste of good luck and keep us paying.