• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Publish 104 Changes to Parry

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Taken from Bleaks post on UO Forums:

Bleak Posts: 87Dev
December 2018 edited January 4 in General Discussions
Greetings!

We would like to continue the balance discussion about the Parry skill in the current PvP meta. Below are the two solutions that are currently on the table:

• The parry chance for PvP attackers will be reduced by 15%-25%* for defenders that use refinements or have spell skills (Magery, Necromancy, Mysticism, or Spellweaving) that are greater than or equal to 70.0
or

• Players using spell skills (Magery, Necromancy, Mysticism, or Spellweaving) will have their faster casting cap reduced by 1 to 2 points* when their parry skill is greater than or equal to 70.0
*Reduction values subject to change.
The goal for these changes are to provide a balance between hybrid templates vs mage/dex templates and emphasize the differences in template selection. Publish 104 will also allow players to view their last parry chance.

We look forward to your feedback on the proposed changes. If you have any additional suggestions regarding the parry skill we are open to ideas.

Suggestion:

• The parry chance for PvP attackers will be reduced by 15%-25%* for defenders that have over 720.0 total skill points. Determine how much wiggle room for skill points above 720.
  • Set a hard modified skill cap and leave the Parry skill alone.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hopefully Those changes won't happen:

#1) Parry needs to be adjusted independently of Refinements.
#2) any adjustments to FC or FCR based on Parry + whatever affected skills paired with it, would result in the offense being unusable when combined with the skills in question.

Neither of those two options would fix parry, it would basically just ensure people won't combine parry with any of those skills. pretty sure nobody wants that.

the goal should be to reduce parry chances by a 'reasonable' amount (I suggest a 10-15% reduction) if paired with magery and maybe chivalry. which would still give you 15-25% chance to parry depending on if you're using Parry & a shield or Parry + Bushido with a 1-h weapon or 2-h weapon.

Parry is meant to give you a better chance of defending against Weapon-based damage. It should continue to do that, just not as much as it does right now. (pvp only) 35% on top of 50% dodge chance, is way too much. weapons don't hit hard enough for them to miss that often. Dexers need to be able to interrupt casters, which requires them to land hits.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If anything is based on "if player has refinements" then a method of removing refinements and/or re-adding mage armor to a piece should be added in tandem.

Altering FC caps below 2 is highly inadvisable. that is the worst thought i've heard yet.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
They also mentioned considering a hard cap for +skill mods.
I really hope that such thing don't come to pass, as I worked really hard to set up the suit for my Peace/Discord/Tamer that can keep both peace masteries up.
It is so fun to play it on PvM and it has zero use in PvP.

Setting a hard cap for skill mods would kill that fun.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Something that hasn't been stated and should be addressed is that the problem is not with parry at all.
Its with refinements.

Currently we have the ability to overcap our defense chance increase to 70 with the use of refinements
You can not counter this by overcapping your hit chance increase to 70.

I feel this oversight should be addressed BEFORE any nerfs to parry are made.
Preferably with a buf to dexer templates by giving the ability to overcap hit chance increase to 70 somehow and NOT a nerf to dci refinements.
Overcapping HCI to 70 would put the two templates on a level playing field and help balance things out better.

I would post this on the official forum but it has been locked so here's a tag to @Bleak @Kyronix and @Mesanna in hopes they'll see it.

Last edited:

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even if you use refinement to go for higher DCI. DCI is hard capped at 45. You can not have DCI higher than 45.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Even if you use refinement to go for higher DCI. DCI is hard capped at 45. You can not have DCI higher than 45.
Actually that is incorrect. You can bring dci to 70% (with refinements)

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even with increased DCI that Warrior would be countered by a mage. The DCI causes the Warrior to have less damage resist. Then have to deal with curse or Corpse skin for even less resist on top of that.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Even with increased DCI that Warrior would be countered by a mage. The DCI causes the Warrior to have less damage resist. Then have to deal with curse or Corpse skin for even less resist on top of that.
One could counteract the lower resists with damage eaters. At least thats what I do with my pvm suit. Honestly don't know how that translates to pvp though.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually that is incorrect. You can bring dci to 70% (with refinements)
I stand corrected (post edited to reflect this)
I was thinking it was 55 initially because that's what i make my pvp mage suits with a resist spread of 70 70 65 65 75

So if it's a problem with DCI then why are they talking about pancakeing with parry?
Good question
a warrior with a hard cap of 45 HCI against any other template with up to 70 DCI seems to be the real imbalance.
sure the 70 DCI would suffer a penalty towards resists making them as low as 65 but here's the thing... It doesn't matter if they cant hit you.

You can even make your resists 70 65 65 65 70 (elf) to set your DCI to 65. Now if they do manage to land a hit most likely it will be from 100% physical weapon and the damage would be the same.