• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training archery. Where?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Could you provide all UO Players a link to that newsletter
She thinks the players doing this will get banned for unattended arrowing and be a # in the next newsletter.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Get a boat and run around Tokuno as there is more spawn along the shore for you to shoot at.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I use the Highlands Bouras outside the Royal City in Ter Mur. They are slow, drop an imbuing ingredient, and will get you to 120 in archery (and throwing) without you taking any damage.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Been a long time since we trained Archery, but we think the foes will be similar to Melee. Then 93 should be good for Solen Infiltrators (Wind Mountains is where we hunt them, but they also spawn in the Windemere Woods and recently we bumped into a flock of them in the jungles south of Trinsic. Good to stock up on zoogi funghi in the process); Another suggestion is Wrong, the strong Lizardmen there can get you all the way, especially if you mix in a Cave troll now and then above 100 skill. Those high HP foes keep you firing away! And can get some arrows back from the Defenders there. The only negative is the narrow passages leaving little room to maneuvre, something an archer prefers.

Calla Lily

Journeyman
I use the Highlands Bouras outside the Royal City in Ter Mur. They are slow, drop an imbuing ingredient, and will get you to 120 in archery (and throwing) without you taking any damage.
Thanks so much! I got to 100 archery, on to 120! They’re good for veterinary training too :). Now I just have to figure out this new pet training process.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why the armslore skill? And healing.

You may want to try chivalry in place of healing. Your an archer.

Head over to the taming forum and tell us what pet type you want to begin with.

UO Tamer

Thanks so much! I got to 100 archery, on to 120! They’re good for veterinary training too :). Now I just have to figure out this new pet training process.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I thought you were supposed to get a wolf spider and a poison bow and shoot at it in Luna...
say what you will about using the spiders but i had 4 archer/tamers i have been dragging my feete making on 4 HK shards and i finally got off my butt and went and tamed a spider for each of them.
only needed to go to 100 archery as they will be wearing the Hunters Headress and that only took me like 3 hours to go from 50 to 100 and only around 6-7k in bolts/arrows for each one.

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Same. I built a template around the headress and the despicable quiver, so I stopped at 95.

However, on a previous archer, I had a lot of fun farming Navrey with a crowd and also skilling up on Halloween.

Good times indeedy!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As above stated.

You want a template that does not use Archery as the mastery. Head dress and quiver save 25 points.

If you see my signature, I have those on that archer.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Can boura fur be used for anything? Not the pelt or skin, but the yellowish fur.
I had always hoped they would let us use it on a spinning wheel and loom to make woolen yarn we could then use for weaving special carpet or tapestries... but nope for now it's just another thing to either take up space or just leave on the corpse as it has ZERO value for anything.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll have to try that Acid Slug thing! :)

I have a new girl in works... and I GMed Archery so very long ago, back when we had POWER HOUR... so... so much has changed. I do know, I've killed millions+ of harpies collecting feathers and skill-building. They could still work. That little depression/cave thing... just near Twin Oaks Inn may be an idea.

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Why the armslore skill? And healing.

You may want to try chivalry in place of healing. Your an archer.

Head over to the taming forum and tell us what pet type you want to begin with.

UO Tamer
Back when I first created her, she had to have armslore for bowcrafting. Does she not need it now? She also has magery and med, which I’m in the process of dropping. I haven’t thought about adding chivalry to her, but I could. She could have:

100 Anatomy
120 Archery
100 Bowcrafting
100 Chivalry
100 Focus
100 Resist
100 Tactics

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
armslore for bowcrafting
I did not notice the fletching.
You have 2 skills you can stone off onto a mule.

You can keep the Archery, anatomy, tactics for archery.

With Chivalry you will not need the resist either. You use Enemy of One and Consecrate a lot.
Can heal, cure and remove curse.

You can choose what type archer you want to be. I have an archer Tamer and and Archer Bard.
Im sure there are more varieties.

For one I want real 120 skill in Taming and Lore for taming mastery.
The other has 120 real skill in Peace and Music for bard masteries.

The other abilities you want to add to the archer will determine what mastery you use and what skills need to be 120.

You could try a magic user archer. Magery for EVs. Spellweaving for WoD. and another magic.

Im sure others have mixes that also work well.

Your decision will determine how much meditation or focus you need.

My Archer/Tamer has these skills:
With jewels and other skill mods _------------_Real
upload_2019-1-8_22-51-15.png
Focus 54 ---------------------------------68

Archer Bard:
upload_2019-1-8_23-3-28.png

Calla Lily

Journeyman
I did not notice the fletching.
You have 2 skills you can stone off onto a mule.

You can keep the Archery, anatomy, tactics for archery.

With Chivalry you will not need the resist either. You use Enemy of One and Consecrate a lot.
Can heal, cure and remove curse.
If I can use Chivalry instead of Resist, I can boost everything else up to 120 with the exception of bowcrafting.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I can use Chivalry instead of Resist, I can boost everything else up to 120 with the exception of bowcrafting.
You dont have soulstones? Could get the fragments cheap.

I use jewels for the things I do not need at 120. You can have another template mixed with archery.

What are you planning on fighting?

Calla Lily

Journeyman
What would be the benefits of having chivalry/focus over healing/resist? How much Int would I need to work well with chivalry? Right now I have mostly Str and Dex for the bowcrafting and archery.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Chivalry will more than double your damage output. You should not be taking damage as an archer.

Use the other skills for a pet or summons that tanks while you kill.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would run meditation in place of anatomy. Chivalry wont do you any good without mana. Mana leeching on bows is not very effective.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
You two seem to be on entirely different pages. Whereas Calla Lily seems to have a more RP like approach of "but my archer needs to be able to fix his/her own bows", Pawain has the more munchkin style of how to make a char most efficient in UO. We also have a char with Fletching and Archery and one Tailor/Fencer on Atlantic, but they are modeled after comic book chars so not aiming to be perfectly efficient.
As for Arms Lore, this seems not too important for a Fletcher, it would only get you the +5% Damage Increase bonus while crafting new bows, and many people remove DI from weapons or otherwise might raise it with imbuing? Imbuing is another factor that changes the whole perspective, to make the best bows you'd need a crafter with that skill as well. But (s)he could still repair her/his own bows if it is for the RP value?

Calla Lily

Journeyman
You two seem to be on entirely different pages. Whereas Calla Lily seems to have a more RP like approach of "but my archer needs to be able to fix his/her own bows", Pawain has the more munchkin style of how to make a char most efficient in UO. We also have a char with Fletching and Archery and one Tailor/Fencer on Atlantic, but they are modeled after comic book chars so not aiming to be perfectly efficient.
As for Arms Lore, this seems not too important for a Fletcher, it would only get you the +5% Damage Increase bonus while crafting new bows, and many people remove DI from weapons or otherwise might raise it with imbuing? Imbuing is another factor that changes the whole perspective, to make the best bows you'd need a crafter with that skill as well. But (s)he could still repair her/his own bows if it is for the RP value?
Yes, I definitely want to keep bowcraft on her, as I run a shop. I have 14 chars, and they’re all different. I’m not sure why I had healing and magery/med on her. I played from 1999 to 2005 then came back two years ago, so she’s an old character. Who knows what I was thinking back then! I decided to drop healing, magery, med, and resist and pick up chivalry and focus, so she’ll end up with:
100 anatomy
120 archery
100 arms lore
100 bowcrafting
100 chivalry
100 focus
100 tactics

Thanks for your help everyone!