• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

@Mesana, @Kyronix, Devs how about an IOS client?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
We need more subscribers, so why not open the market for IOS devices, like the Macs, MacBook air, iPad, and iPhone of all things?
They could keep the servers the same, just make clients for IOS devices that could work with the present severs. Other systems can have this type of thing, why not UO? Would take a tiny bit of programming the IOS client perhaps, maybe not a horrific investment for the future?
The present day shells of Wine emulation, etc on IOS devices takes a lot of MPU processing, requires a little geekiness that lots of us don't like, and then after all is done, the IOS device overheats or becomes choppy graphics etc. I also doubt if Wine or other PC emulator is there for iPad, or iPhone..
Happy new year to all.
What you guys think?
:hug:

AirFluff

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UO on mobile, not sure about that. I played Albion Online on mobile and it was so hard to play because of the size of the screen.

Anyway, the mobile thing shouldn't be in plan until they fix the windows client imo lol

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
UO on mobile, not sure about that. I played Albion Online on mobile and it was so hard to play because of the size of the screen.

Anyway, the mobile thing shouldn't be in plan until they fix the windows client imo lol
Agree on iPhone, but there are many millions of dedicated MacBook and iPad people. It may not be such a horrible idea to hire some1 to program a client and then pay on consignment to upkeep an IOS client. About time..

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I brought this up here a few months back. I think the consensus was that it'd be botched, create more bugs, and enable more afk scripters. I still kind of like the idea though if it is done correctly.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A third client isn't going to happen.

We'd be lucky to get a kludged general/global chat app.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
UO has extremely limited resources as it is. Dividing them further would be a huge risk with no guarantee of reward.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
UO has extremely limited resources as it is. Dividing them further would be a huge risk with no guarantee of reward.
Agree..But they could try hiring out a decent small contract, with one of the fledgling companies to see if they can put together an IOS client, and then tap into a massive IOS market. There is obvious risk in this, but who knows?
Also for the scripting risk, isn't that controlled from server side?
Just an idea for the new year.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Mac users don't play video games. They're too busy drinking expensive coffee, adjusting their scarves, and being all around snobby. :)
You may be surprised...Opening a new door for uo ay hold some surprises, not all of them upleasant..Not much to lose if we are on a downward slow spiral..But we have been on this piral for 20 years and walah! Still here..as shocking as this is.. lol..:)

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@celticus downward spiral is one thing. but adding another client will simply increase it as it will divide the tiny resources we have.

also if you really need to play UO on a mac you have choices. multiple.

for example.

run it boxed
install windows as secondary OS via bootloader
simply sell the mac and buy a proper pc.

there are more important things to do.

Shiranui Renn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We need more subscribers, so why not open the market for IOS devices...
For the hand full of Mac users out there? Even thinking about that would make you loose money before you even lifted a single finger.

If you want to get access to lots of games don't buy a mac. simple as that.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is tons of ways to make things possible..

.. with a good team, time and money!

We already lack the first. They can't make a publish without major breaks these days, let alone a modern client.

RuneScape did android and iOS ports..
STO went on consoles..

There would be ways for UO too.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
@celticus downward spiral is one thing. but adding another client will simply increase it as it will divide the tiny resources we have.

also if you really need to play UO on a mac you have choices. multiple.

for example.

run it boxed
install windows as secondary OS via bootloader
simply sell the mac and buy a proper pc.

there are more important things to do.
Agree..If it would cause more damage, then forget it..

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So why don't you post this on a forum where you might get a response to your question?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
So why don't you post this on a forum where you might get a response to your question?
Don't have or wish access there. Plus it is better to present the ideas here, discuss with a more seasoned and wise audience, and possibly present ideas there. Like this one IOS for . instance. It turns out that it is not a good idea, and that the profit margin for UO would be negative.:)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't have or wish access there. Plus it is better to present the ideas here, discuss with a more seasoned and wise audience, and possibly present ideas there. Like this one IOS for . instance. It turns out that it is not a good idea, and that the profit margin for UO would be negative.:)
So you do not have an active account, understood.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
So you do not have an active account, understood.
Wrong..I have a single active account for some time, but I do not like the idea of logging in the uo board with the game credentials etc, for reasons posted elsewhere here, security being one.