• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can we talk about the game for a minute?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carteena GL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is it that Barracoon Has to get its named changed after 15+ years of having it that, But yet Guards are programmed to say the word lynch like WTF has this game become...
upload_2018-12-26_0-5-12.png

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well... try spelling any word that remotely has a naughty word inside it... no matter how innocent.

Like the staff is trying not to offend 10 year olds or something.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Why is it that Barracoon Has to get its named changed after 15+ years of having it that, But yet Guards are programmed to say the word lynch like WTF has this game become...
View attachment 91052
A Barracoon, was a holding area for Black Slaves, it has the same root as other words such as Barrack but was used exclusively in connotation with slave trade practices.

Lynch or Lynching as a word dates back to the 1780’s and was named after Charles Lynch. It is an abbreviated form of “Lynch Law” and refers to a means of nonjudicial punishment, originally with no racial connotation. Some of the earliest documented uses of the word are in reference to the mob justice hangings of British Loyalists during the American Revolution.

I think the difference between the two is one word had racist origins, while the other became associated with racist activities almost exclusively, at least in the US, much later.

I wouldn’t oppose them removing the reference to lynching myself, it can be a trigger word for some people and rightly so, but I can also understand why it was likely seen as acceptable to use to begin with.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its an old game. they just change something when it creates enough of a problem. theres lots of other racist / derogatory things that havent caused enough public outcry to be changed. We still kill "Savages", and use the term "Gypsy" to describe what most games in 2019 would refer to as Romani. not going to get into a racism discussion, but those 2 alone historically are just as bad (if not worse) as barracoon, but most likely didnt get as many complaints or cause as much disturbances in general chat.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
its an old game. they just change something when it creates enough of a problem. theres lots of other racist / derogatory things that havent caused enough public outcry to be changed. We still kill "Savages", and use the term "Gypsy" to describe what most games in 2019 would refer to as Romani. not going to get into a racism discussion, but those 2 alone historically are just as bad (if not worse) as barracoon, but most likely didnt get as many complaints or cause as much disturbances in general chat.
When they redid the gypsy spawns and those dropped Moonstone Jewelry people called it genocide(and rightfully so)... Which it felt like... rather felt sorry for the gypsies in the spawning camps...

But the camps were buggy and they took them out.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well... try spelling any word that remotely has a naughty word inside it... no matter how innocent.

Like the staff is trying not to offend 10 year olds or something.
Vendors can be Naughty.

upload_2018-12-26_10-8-28.png

And Krampus drops Naughty titles so anyone can be Naughty now.

I am with this opinion on the OP:
I wouldn’t oppose them removing the reference to lynching myself, it can be a trigger word for some people and rightly so, but I can also understand why it was likely seen as acceptable to use to begin with.
Lynching - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The probkem with wikipefia is anyone can change it. Never use it as a scource for anything more than self interest.

At this point and time, societal beliefs are the new history.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The probkem with wikipefia is anyone can change it. Never use it as a scource for anything more than self interest.

True, in and of itself Wikipedia isn’t a good source, but the citations when present can often lead you to credible sources.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Social norms change. My parents were born in 1918 and 1912. My brother and sister were born in the late 30s. I was born in the 60s. I am glad things change.

the snowflakes are slowly taking over this damn world...jesus!! save us!!
Move to Arkansas. You can have the stars and bars hanging on your porch.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And East Texas as well...
Lol those two places are where the racist part of my family live. (the Arkansas state flag has the stars and bars in it)

My son and I wonder if the racists talk about their crazy liberal Uncle at holiday dinners. "That idiot believes in climate change" While they walk outside in their shorts to get the turkey out of the peanut oil fryer.

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its a pixel game ...jesus u snowflakes gonna moan about the ginger men next

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Lol those two places are where the racist part of my family live. (the Arkansas state flag has the stars and bars in it)

My son and I wonder if the racists talk about their crazy liberal Uncle at holiday dinners. "That idiot believes in climate change" While they walk outside in their shorts to get the turkey out of the peanut oil fryer.
I grew up around that type. It’s more likely you are the dirty secret that never gets mentioned around company.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
its a pixel game ...jesus u snowflakes gonna moan about the ginger men next
Y'all come out of your safe spots...it's just a game. If words offend you that badly, you gonna have a long sad life ahead of you lol.

Just some friendly advice, I’d stop protesting before people start wondering why this topic is triggering you so much.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My ancestors were all poor, farmers, sharecroppers, etc etc. they all fought for the south. None of them ever owned a slave, most of them worked side by side with other races.

The war was not fought, for most people, over slavery, but rather for the right of each state to decide for itself. That's what my people fought for, the same as the fought in 1776, the right to decide for themselves without having it crammed down their throats. And that, my friends, is what my descendants will be fighting for in a few years.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My ancestors were all poor, farmers, sharecroppers, etc etc. they all fought for the south. None of them ever owned a slave, most of them worked side by side with other races.

The war was not fought, for most people, over slavery, but rather for the right of each state to decide for itself. That's what my people fought for, the same as the fought in 1776, the right to decide for themselves without having it crammed down their throats. And that, my friends, is what my descendants will be fighting for in a few years.
Thanks. Most people dont know this, and most of the confederate states made slavery illegal, but people forget, or never looked it up.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Social norms change. My parents were born in 1918 and 1912. My brother and sister were born in the late 30s. I was born in the 60s. I am glad things change.

Not social norms, but a new history. People are learning or believe incorrect facts, because thats what is socially acceptable.

If 20 years from now everyone believes that chester cheetah is the new god, your gonna look at them like they are idiots.... thats kinda what i am doing.

Move to Arkansas. You can have the stars and bars hanging on your porch.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
As a non-American who got mod-warnings for lesser sins: Can we close this thread please? Nothing of this belongs to Ultima Online. Dont make a domestic American issue out of it.
I've no issues with that, this thread is heading off the deep end.

Status
Not open for further replies.