• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mosquitoes any one?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Those pesky little creaters that bite you in the better temperature months. Silly topic wrong time in the year, I know... But they can be very nasty, spread diseases, and cause welts etc.
We have so many marshes in UO, and swamplands.
For 20 years I doubt that we have seen any Mosquitoes in the game?
They are blood suckers, and spread poison (diseases) that can be pretty serious.
Would you guys like to see them in game as swarms, or even GIANT Mosquitoes?
I k now we can cast "insect swarm" etc. But how does that sound?
:pie:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
GJ guys..I deserve that..lol.
Otherwise you will have to carry around mosquito-repellent potions etc..:devil:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Remember the giant mosquitoes near the beginning of MM6 or MM7 (screenshot from MM6 manual dialogue)?

MM6.jpg MM6.jpg

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thinking about the annoying things we get to deal with in real life, what I'm happy NOT to deal with in UO...

I flashed on a memory about Ultima 7. I believe it was U7! I could be wrong.

I loved U7 quite a bit and spent countless hours pointlessly adventuring around. My memory is photographic... but some things blend with others. I'm still sure it was U7.

You would walk through the swamplands... going to hidden areas or hidden things to help fund the adventure... when you would get "randomly" poisoned. Granted, think how fun that would be for those people with houses inside the Trinny Swamp! Or hunting swamp things. Goodness knows they are annoying enough already... without being poisoned or swarmed. :)

When you think in that same way, anyone on the snowy areas would be freezing to death. Or the deserts would be cooking to death.

Thank goodness we live in a magical world were those things are NOT an issue. ;-)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
good luck getting skiters,
I been beggin for camels for years now lol....
But camel breath is cool..It can be used as a weapon. Plus they belch, and that makes it even better, they store energy in their humps? It could be where in game a buffer of extra HPS, or extra damage buffer could be placed. Plus they are definitely rideable. Specials : Breath, Kick, and a new one, Manure..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
But Skiters would be cool. They always do the vampire thingie, really eat blood, and the little b***rds can poison you one way or another.
They definitely were there during the medieval setting of the game, and also antiquity. Innocent and harmless little S**t that they seemed to be, they have caused the loss of many millions of lives though the centuries, have caused major outbreaks of diseases, and have spread death to humanity. Diseases that include : malaria, dengue, West Nile virus, chikungunya, yellow fever,filariasis, tularemia, dirofilariasis, Japanese encephalitis, Saint Louis encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis, Eastern equine encephalitis, Venezuelan equine encephalitis, Ross River fever, Barmah Forest fever, La Crosse encephalitis, and Zika fever. as well as newly detected Keystone virus. Malaria has killed so many millions of people in the past, that it has affected the human genome, created mutant genes that resist Malaria, and the genes are passed down many generations later with genetic diseases like Thalassemia and Sickle Cell, that are themselves nasty and cause tortured lives in humans.
So Skitters as an Evil entity, nasty one, may be passable in a game like this, especially due to the time setting, that is supposedly medieval or so.

Nasty little S**t that are no joke..:drama:

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a bad enough time with Nargals.

Little buggers keep hiding my stuff!!!

Stuff in 6 houses... along with the import goods coming in. I can never find anything! :)

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

"Fairy Nargles spotted on pensioner's wig"
—The Daily Prophet.

Luna Lovegood claims that her strange necklace keeps the Nargles away.

The Nargle is a creature that Luna Lovegood and Xenophilius Lovegood believe exists, though many others believe them to not exist or to be extinct; it is unknown as to whether Luna ever did discover their existence or not in her years of globetrotting. Nargles are known to infest mistletoe,[1] and to be mischievous thieves.[2] Luna Lovegood claims that her Butterbeer cork necklace keep the Nargles away and that her papers and shoes were taken by Nargles.

When Harry Potter and Cho Chang were about to kiss under the mistletoe just prior to Christmas 1995, Harry jokes that Nargles may be infesting it. Cho, who had never heard Luna discuss her belief in this creature, was confused, so Harry let the topic drop. However the Daily Prophet wrote a short column about a Fairy Nargle that was found on a pensioner's wig.

Oh... and the DO exist! That explains all the rubbish going missing in my life... and I'm sure in yours. :)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Sooooo..
When are we getting Mosquitoes in the game to kill-..kill..kill them?
I know Im full of it..lol..just trying to keep things light..:)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The timing of this...

Google just literally revealed a plan they have to kill mosquitos, all of them, everywhere on earth.

I'm pretty sure bats and birds eat them but hey. Google’s new plan involves killing mosquitoes worldwide and we're thankful

UO introducing skeeters as the world sees google kill em all, It would be oddly fitting. Everything is intertwined...
Wonder how many other implications we could have in killing all mosquitoes on earth.... I'm sure there are many we haven't ever thought about...

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG! Someone do a poll on what is more evil. Google or Mosquitoes. :) Both are blood-suckers.

hehe

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wonder how many other implications we could have in killing all mosquitoes on earth.... I'm sure there are many we haven't ever thought about...
"At the moment, it is unclear as to what will happen if mosquitoes are wiped off the face of the Earth. " (from the article) - doesn't make you feel much better

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
"At the moment, it is unclear as to what will happen if mosquitoes are wiped off the face of the Earth. " (from the article) - doesn't make you feel much better
Agree..From one side of the coin, mosquitoes with the diseases they have spread have claimed many millions of human lives through the centuries. And through wonderful discoveries like vaccinations etc, we have nearly eradicated some pretty nasty others like polio virus etc. that have claimed huge name to infamy. Also we have essentially nuked the big one, malaria from most of the world. So that is good news, but..
When you introduce something what is planned-on the works from google, there some things that are hard to know off hand like: How do we know that the new bacteria that will kill the mosquitoes will not mutate, and the next species affected will be the bees for instance? That would spell real catastrophe for most of the fruit crops we use, and affect our food chain? I dunno. I think we will need to wait and see. Somewhat of an uneasy feeling of sorts..o.0