• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

That's one heck of an orbit

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Every year (earth year) we get snow this time of year. Shouldn't we get snow more often? If there are 12 UO days in one earth day that means that it takes 4,380 UO days for us to go from winter to winter. That is one heck of an orbit. It also means that we must be pretty distant from our UO star so why do we not have snow all the time? These are the things that keep me up at night.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am wondering why there is no dusk and no dawn. Sunlight gets switched on and off within milliseconds. Think about what that says about the relationship between the planet on which Sosaria is located and its star - and about their movement mechanics! Isnt that strange?

Rusker Sulle

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
To answer both above posts I'll say this. Sosaria orbits around a red giant, that has about 40+ solar masses,at about 5.2 AU's give or take a few hundred-thousand km's, the same as Jupiter from the Sun. Sosaria, in my opinion, is tidally locked(somehow) and the only reason we have dark is that one of the moons eclipses the sun every few hours. Only thing is that if we have a moon that is close enough to totally eclipse a red giant, it's close enough to throw a rock at.

Rusker Sulle

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Or....for the simple fact that Sosaria is a world full of magic of all kinds, the snow and colder weather could be the result of a hyper-powerful mage playing with the por corp wis spell. :D

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually, with the way the maps act, Sosaria would look like a torus (donut)...

Nothing about the day/night cycle or "seasons" make logical sense.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually, with the way the maps act, Sosaria would look like a torus (donut)...

Nothing about the day/night cycle or "seasons" make logical sense.

.... unless... Sosaria is the center of the universe and the star circles around us!