• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Male characters are better in UO

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i know, its click bait, but its for a good reason!

i found this interesting, thought id share.
so, to begin, i know some less then commonly acceptable means where used in this experiment and there is nothing i can do about that - i was just interested in what the results showed.

back story.
a guild mate was ticked off that he could never wrangle up trained spellweavers to help him get his level 6 crystal so he had a brain storm.
he was going to open 3 Endless Journey accounts and make 3 Spellweavers so he would always have a little party of spellweavers available to help him get his crystal.
and yes, i know, he could use his powers for evil and multibox an EM event or a champ or something but he dosnt.
the 3 spellweavers are parked the circle at brit bank and they are logged off there and they live there so when he needs them he just logs in and he gets his crystal.

so in TeamSpeak he was telling us he made one male, one female and one Garg Male spellweaver.
and then he used a program to train their skills.
*yes, this was the bad thing i spoke of, lets get by this and get to the interesting information
so he had all 3 of the new characters lined up and he made them all suits and they all started with the same skills and stats and away he let them train.
the first step was magic, evel, med, focus.
and when done the male character beat the others by a LONG time.
then it was spellweaving.
again, the male character beat the others by a long margin.

interesting.
of course there is a IT guy in our guild and he piped up that it was probably in the code that males would gain better.
we all laughed..... a kinda 'jesus i hope that isnt true' laugh.

so he liked his little pack of spellweavers so much he decided to make them again on another shard that he plays on.
again he tracked the skills gain of the exact same players, one male, one female, one garg male.
and again the male beat the others by a long way.

after he was done with them a guild mate asked him to do the same on another shard that he plays on, so our guild mate did and as before the male character beat the others in hitting the skill cap by a long ways.

intrigued now he did it a 4th time.
this time was to make some spellweavers to park over in DOOM so a guild mate could get a level 6 crystal when over there.
and as one would now expect the male beat the others again.

crazy!
so yesterday the guild mate said he was going to do one last set on another shard.
same GM made suits with same attributes, same starting skills and stats.
by server down the male character was over 7 whole points above the other 2.
thats 70 gains!!!!
oven like a 4-5 hour period!

so while i hate to admit stuff like this but after seeing the screen shots and tracking the data it is true, male characters train faster then female characters!

why?
what possible reason could there ever be to have this in the code?
i understand different races gaining faster due to racial attributed but genders gaining faster?

at some point in the 21 years a Dev or code writer did not like his mother!
(or he had all sisters.... and lets be honest that goes a long way to bending ones mental stability!)

and yes, he gave access to the guild to those accounts so we can all use the spellweavers to get higher crystals. Friendship has its benefits.

i was going to post some pics he sent but i thought that mentioning how he gained was bad enough, posting pics would push this thread over the threshold.

again, before anyone chimes in, we are not here to discuss programs that are not to be discussed, we are discussing why males characters would gain faster then female characters.
the only reason i mentioned he used the program in the first place was to show that all 3 characters where casting spells at the exact same rate controlled by the computer not by human, so that takes that variable out of the equation.

and begin......

Last edited:

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i know, its click bait, but its for a good reason!

i found this interesting, thought id share.
so, to begin, i know some less then commonly acceptable means where used in this experiment and there is nothing i can do about that - i was just interested in what the results showed.

back story.
a guild mate was ticked off that he could never wrangle up trained spellweavers to help him get his level 6 crystal so he had a brain storm.
he was going to open 3 Endless Journey accounts and make 3 Spellweavers so he would always have a little party of spellweavers available to help him get his crystal.
and yes, i know, he could use his powers for evil and multibox an EM event or a champ or something but he dosnt.
the 3 spellweavers are parked the circle at brit bank and they are logged off there and they live there so when he needs them he just logs in and he gets his crystal.

so in TeamSpeak he was telling us he made one male, one female and one Garg Male spellweaver.
and then he used a program to train their skills.
*yes, this was the bad thing i spoke of, lets get by this and get to the interesting information
so he had all 3 of the new characters lined up and he made them all suits and they all started with the same skills and stats and away he let them train.
the first step was magic, evel, med, focus.
and when done the male character beat the others by a LONG time.
then it was spellweaving.
again, the male character beat the others by a long margin.

interesting.
of course there is a IT guy in our guild and he piped up that it was probably in the code that males would gain better.
we all laughed..... a kinda 'jesus i hope that isnt true' laugh.

so he liked his little pack of spellweavers so much he decided to make them again on another shard that he plays on.
again he tracked the skills gain of the exact same players, one male, one female, one garg male.
and again the male beat the others by a long way.

after he was done with them a guild mate asked him to do the same on another shard that he plays on, so our guild mate did and as before the male character beat the others in hitting the skill cap by a long ways.

intrigued now he did it a 4th time.
this time was to make some spellweavers to park over in DOOM so a guild mate could get a level 6 crystal when over there.
and as one would now expect the male beat the others again.

crazy!
so yesterday the guild mate said he was going to do one last set on another shard.
same GM made suits with same attributes, same starting skills and stats.
by server down the male character was over 7 whole points above the other 2.
thats 70 gains!!!!
oven like a 4-5 hour period!

so while i hate to admit stuff like this but after seeing the screen shots and tracking the data it is true, male characters train faster then female characters!

why?
what possible reason could there ever be to have this in the code?
i understand different races gaining faster due to racial attributed but genders gaining faster?

at some point in the 21 years a Dev or code writer did not like his mother!
(or he had all sisters.... and lets be honest that goes a long way to bending ones mental stability!)

and yes, he gave access to the guild to those accounts so we can all use the spellweavers to get higher crystals. Friendship has its benefits.

i was going to post some pics he sent but i thought that mentioning how he gained was bad enough, posting pics would push this thread over the threshold.

again, before anyone chimes in, we are not here to discuss programs that are not to be discussed, we are discussing why males characters would gain faster then female characters.
the only reason i mentioned he used the program in the first place was to show that all 3 characters where casting spells at the exact same rate controlled by the computer not by human, so that takes that variable out of the equation.

and begin......
Nothing but sheer chance in my opinion. The entire gain system is based on luck in the purest sense and not the stat.

Good luck against Semidar, the feminists champ spawn!!! ;)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hate skilling. Would never test this.

Next Test: Which toon gets the quickest 6 9 Focus.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't think it was rng if he did it 4+ times with the exact armor, skills, and spells. 7 points is a lot to be off by. Are we talking 90+ in these skills? If so that may not just be chance.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
5 times he did this.
5 times!

if its RNG 5 times in a row doing the exact same outcome is a little far fetched to believe.

and yes we are talking taking the skills to 100 in each.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Is it the same account that always get better gains? Then the theory about lucky and unlucky accounts are a factor. And the male gargoyle didn't get any better gains although its a male. If he does it again he can try to shift which account that builds the chars.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Is it the same account that always get better gains? Then the theory about lucky and unlucky accounts are a factor. And the male gargoyle didn't get any better gains although its a male. If he does it again he can try to shift which account that builds the chars.
Has anyone brought up unlucky accounts before? I feel like I have one hahaha

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Has anyone brought up unlucky accounts before? I feel like I have one hahaha

It's always been my belief that from the moment of creation an account is given some sort of "luck" factor be it positive, negative or neutral... but it's given some value some have say 1000+ luck while others might have -10,000 (I have a negative luck on several of my accounts some more than others... but each IMO has a value. DEVs might deny it but having seen this in action I know... I have a friend who's account has a more than obvious + luck value... Only person I've ever know to kill 2 back to back Dark Fathers and get an Orny both times. Makes you want to puke... meanwhile after doing 100's of Dark Fathers and Doom runs I finally got my first ever (and almost only) Doom Arty... It was a stinking Dragon Lance..... that is my luck.

But this same person got Atries every single time we went to Doom... from any mob in there... he'd get them left and right... He got the hair dyes, he got the Crimmies... whatever it was you could guarantee he'd get a drop over and over till you wanted to just kill him on the spot... So yes..... I believe it is true.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ya I sold my luck suit because I went several months with literally only 1 good item to show for it (a bracelet I sold for 25m lol). I was fighting the same stuff everyone else does and got crap. I remade my sampire with 200 luck, and his drops are better. I thought the rng just hated me, but maybe my account is unlucky :(

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
5 times he did this.
5 times!

if its RNG 5 times in a row doing the exact same outcome is a little far fetched to believe.

and yes we are talking taking the skills to 100 in each.
Even if male chars do gain skills faster, that's a temporary benefit. It ceases providing any benefit whatsoever once you max out your char. Female chars have a permanent benefit.

Skelf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would tend to agree with you Poo...5 times seems more than a coincidence.

However, several other valid, if unrelated, points have been made. Female chars have several inbuilt advantages regarding armour selection, damage and so on. I have always assumed that these were incorporated (we are talking about 1996 remember!) in the code to encourage the male dominated gaming community to make female characters to provide some diversity in game... Just *perhaps*. this was a conscious balancing decision. However, as had already been stated, the female advantages are permanent as everything balances out when the skills cap.

I also think it would be interesting to repeat the experiment with another account. I *know* there are some bugged accounts out there with hidden advantages or disadvantages though I find preferential treatment of a specific gender very odd indeed. In fact, if there isn't an extra account willing to do this, perhaps we could hit one of the affected characters - or even better, the male and the female - with gender change tokens and see if the training glitch is truly linked to gender.

Or maybe it's the character slot - first, second or whatever...several other potential variables to exclude. Fascinating little project..;p

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
G.I.R.L. = Guy In Real Life.
Anyone else remember when casting Polymorph, Males were classified under "Animals", while Females were classified under "Monsters"? I always found that funny.

But yeah, the potential temporary advantages of Males gaining skills faster, vs the permanent advantages of Females reminds me of an old argument from The Elder Scrolls series. Some people would argue for creating a race that starts out with higher skills for your playstyle, while others would argue for a race that had better longterm racial abilities. Example: In Morrowind, if you wanted to play as a Warrior predominantly, some would suggest you create a Redguard, due to higher starting weapon skills, while others would suggest Nord, due to the OP 100% Resist Frost/50% Resist Shock racials. Or how in D&D (such as NWN 2), some people would argue against creating Drow characters due to them having a +2 Level Modifier for Exp (meaning they took longer to level), but at max level, Drow were so much more powerful than other max level characters.