• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Final, Final Castle comp winners Announced.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So from the new newsletter they have published the final list of winners.

#1 - Canary - Keep
#2 - Dot Warner - Castle
#5 - Don Quan - Castle
#20 - Queen Elsa - Castle
#22 - MissEcho - Castle
#37 - Analaya - Castle

Congrats to the winners......even though alas most castles will stay the same ;)

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I will use the feudal castle (#37) i am odd in that i never use anything but the bottom floor of any house i live in and i can fit everything i use/need with this design!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:postpics:
or a link to this info

No mention here or UO about a newsletter or in my E-Mail

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I will use the feudal castle (#37) i am odd in that i never use anything but the bottom floor of any house i live in and i can fit everything i use/need with this design!
The only thing....well not the only thing....but ONE of the things that bothers me about that design is the weird archway piece awkwardly placed by the stairs....

archway.jpg

I get that it's probably there to hold the floor above it up...but there had to be a better piece....even just a pillar???

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The only thing....well not the only thing....but ONE of the things that bothers me about that design is the weird archway piece awkwardly placed by the stairs....

View attachment 86867

I get that it's probably there to hold the floor above it up...but there had to be a better piece....even just a pillar???
Hehehehe i'm gonna pit a soul forge right up against it ')

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So from the new newsletter they have published the final list of winners.

#1 - Canary - Keep
#2 - Dot Warner - Castle
#5 - Don Quan - Castle
#20 - Queen Elsa - Castle
#22 - MissEcho - Castle
#37 - Analaya - Castle

Congrats to the winners......even though alas most castles will stay the same ;)
Yay MissEcho :)

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm happy they chose three to go along with some of the top votes. I want to choose #20 but I'm hesitant because you can't craft marble walls.

So It looks like #22 may be my new design. I'm looking forward to seeing some of these new designs deco'd. I could use some inspiration!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Effectively, the designs are a couple castle-like designs, a couple of manor houses, a temple-ish design and a "honey, do you feel a draft?" design that is interesting, but has too many open balconies and windows for the taste of many.

All well done, but I believe that the one will get a lot less use than the other 5.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am traveling atm, so only checking my email every other day, i was surprised to see this result. As with everything it is of course subjective. My design is purposely open so you can do your own thing. Even though the ground floor when you go in looks like a cavern, I did a cut and paste job from some deco'd places to give you a better idea of possibilities etc.

As is:

upload_2018-9-13_12-16-53.png

The sort of stuff you can do, bear in mind that the deco here is just cut and pasted so doesn't actually 'fit' the space and the walls on that deco are not actually designed or built for the space. If you don't want grass you can also cover with stone crafted tile. You can run from the ground floor to the roof in seconds and the little turret nooks are left open so you can place teleport tiles inside if you wish.

upload_2018-9-13_12-19-37.png

I would imagine people will come up with all manner of interiors to suit needs. The other floors are similar in that there is ample room to customise the spaces. The roof is totally bare so you can add stone walls or garden beds or whatever you want.

Anyways, I am actually surprised. I am on mobile expensive data at the moment at Lightning Ridge in inland Australia and wont be home for another few weeks. Have to go and check out the other joints now !

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Only #2 - Dot Warner [Castle] floats my boat, rest I wouldn't even use (no offense to the builders).

upload_2018-9-13_8-37-21.png

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
im curious what the pink floors/chess set house would look like with the flooring 100% covered

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
honestly said .... The Gothic House Tiles are a great graphic... Dot's Design is also well though and to me at the first view it's also harmonic with the colors. But I also noticed after a while standing in that house that I felt bashed down from this "massiv wall-power" - I did not feel very good inside and I also got somewhat fretful - it's a great design - but's not my cup of tea :/.

Syncros

Adventurer
I love @MissEcho design, it gives us the opportunity to do so much more, the others imho, there is so much useless speace and with MissEcho design, allow us many different possibilities.
Pretty much this shouldve been an option for the designs, just to be shells and players could use the craftable walls/doors to design the interiors as they want. Better yet just let players make their own custom castle/keep with an empty plot.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pretty much this shouldve been an option for the designs, just to be shells and players could use the craftable walls/doors to design the interiors as they want. Better yet just let players make their own custom castle/keep with an empty plot.
Well yes the ideal would be just to let us do our own thing with fully customizable plots, which I would of preferred no doubt!

Even the one I did, I only had a week as was late getting on test center and finding a plot (I ended up being given one as I couldn't place) so was a rush job at best. I also would of designed differently if it was JUST for me especially if you could recustomize at will, but overall I did try to design to allow max flexibility while still ending up with something that could be stand alone if you didn't wanna add crafted walls/doors etc. Knowing where to draw the line was hard. Like the corner tile on this wall at the corner of the outside stairwell was purposely left off :

upload_2018-9-14_12-23-45.png

so that if you wanted to run a wall from the other stairwell from the ground floor across with either wall or doorway it would still 'tie' in and not leave a gap. I was tempted to do that in other places but then I would have bits of wall 'missing' so as a stand alone it wouldn't work. Same as the small timber verandahs around the edges, originally I was gonna leave them off but added them for different floor texture and to break up the grey thinking people could either plant them out with deco plants if they didnt want small walkways rather than just leave them off entirely.

I am also hoping when they do the 'copy' that the hidden stone doorways are there. Not sure what process they are gonna use to duplicate them, but areas on my third floor use hidden doors to access them so I hope they copy properly or people wont get out there lol

upload_2018-9-14_12-32-48.png

It wasn't actually easy to design as everyone likes different stuff, I am really into deco so less is more for me, I would rather add my walls and deco in an open shell rather than deal with tiny rooms of dimensions I can't work with. And I hate having to navigate my way to a roof via doors and rooms etc. I wanna get from ground to roof in seconds without using teleporters, but have that option as well if I wanna put some vet or store ones in. Hence the turret rooms being accessible to place porters in out of the way etc. Here I would probably put a teleporter on the ground floor to take me direct to the 3rd floor balcony and use another for the roof etc.

upload_2018-9-14_12-49-58.png

I figured to leave the floor just in two tile types on purpose, grey stone and the timber as people can put in carpets, gozas, crafted and dyed stone tiles or grass/snow/sand tiles if they like, but again as a stand alone it was passable etc. I left off water/fire tiles for the reason you can't walk on em and not everyone would want swamp tiles, that you can walk on. Perhaps the devs will one day introduce water tiles as they have grass etc so that we can make 'removeable' ponds etc.

Anyways at the current prices I will not be able to convert my own joints lol so don't expect to see many at all.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The real losers here are the people that their designs got picked and are now being exploited by UO.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The real losers here are the people that their designs got picked and are now being exploited by UO.
How so? Like we knew what the deal was when we entered. It is actually nice to have been selected. Gee this other game I used to play I got spell named after me 'Summon Echo' where a wailing banshee arrived and caused all your people to flee lmao. Pathdinder the dev on that and I used to argue non stop so that was his revenge lol.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How so? Like we knew what the deal was when we entered. It is actually nice to have been selected. Gee this other game I used to play I got spell named after me 'Summon Echo' where a wailing banshee arrived and caused all your people to flee lmao. Pathdinder the dev on that and I used to argue non stop so that was his revenge lol.
So you are saying you knew that the winning houses were going to be used as gold sinks that only a select few can afford. Shame on you then for not sharing this info with the rest of the player base and I am glad that you like being exploited by the game you pay a sub to just to play.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So you are saying you knew that the winning houses were going to be used as gold sinks that only a select few can afford. Shame on you then for not sharing this info with the rest of the player base and I am glad that you like being exploited by the game you pay a sub to just to play.
HUH? No Idea what you are on about. I thought you meant we were being exploited by designing a castle and keep for free for them to use without getting paid or receiving any prize other than getting our house designs used. Nothing to do with what they were gonna price em at. I had the biggest shock of my life when I saw the ludicrous amounts they are asking for. Had I even KNOWN they were gonna charge that I would of told em to stick it and not bothered to waste my time designing for them.

Someone somewhere is making money out of this and it isn't bloody me.

If you go look at my posts here and on the other forum you will clearly see that I am absolutely disgusted in the whole thing. I play siege so for me to actually convert MY OWN design is the equivalent in cost to 3 billion gold. F that! I can't even afford to convert my own castle into the design I bloody made for them.

Having had my design selected I am now considering closing my three accounts. You said: The real losers here are the people that their designs got picked and are now being exploited by UO.

I am one of those people, and entered the competition knowing the result was no gift, no prize, just the fact your house was gonna be used for people to build. I was happy with that arrangement and didn't feel EXPLOITED.

I responded based on that.

However now it is being used as a flipping gold sink for those with billions and plats falling out their asses and the average castle owner is being screwed then yes, it is not just the designers being exploited but ALL OF US.

I either misread what you wrote or you misread what I meant in response, either way we are on the same page.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
HUH? No Idea what you are on about. I thought you meant we were being exploited by designing a castle and keep for free for them to use without getting paid or receiving any prize other than getting our house designs used. Nothing to do with what they were gonna price em at. I had the biggest shock of my life when I saw the ludicrous amounts they are asking for. Had I even KNOWN they were gonna charge that I would of told em to stick it and not bothered to waste my time designing for them.

Someone somewhere is making money out of this and it isn't bloody me.

If you go look at my posts here and on the other forum you will clearly see that I am absolutely disgusted in the whole thing. I play siege so for me to actually convert MY OWN design is the equivalent in cost to 3 billion gold. F that! I can't even afford to convert my own castle into the design I bloody made for them.

Having had my design selected I am now considering closing my three accounts. You said: The real losers here are the people that their designs got picked and are now being exploited by UO.

I am one of those people, and entered the competition knowing the result was no gift, no prize, just the fact your house was gonna be used for people to build. I was happy with that arrangement and didn't feel EXPLOITED.

I responded based on that.

However now it is being used as a flipping gold sink for those with billions and plats falling out their asses and the average castle owner is being screwed then yes, it is not just the designers being exploited but ALL OF US.

I either misread what you wrote or you misread what I meant in response, either way we are on the same page.
Sorry LIKE is misunderstood your valley girl talk.

uokings7

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my opinion, Dots gothic rose is great for a guild. Not necessarily a single persons home, although I would definitely use it. But the styling is great for a large meeting place. If I had a castle, that is the design I would choose because it doesn't have to be jammed full of deco to look nice. There is a lot of deco that would match that tileset when you envision whats out there. Banners and deco shields, shard shields, all of those types of guild looking deco would look awesome in there. The top pillars could be used for memorials (which is actually a growing thing in this game because of the age of it). The chessboard inspires guildmates to compete and have healthy conversation, bonding time. Out of all the designs in the contest, it was easily my favorite. Definitely better than my own designs. I kept thinking about functionality and not as much about aesthetics. But after all this its obvious that both are very important.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In my opinion, Dots gothic rose is great for a guild. Not necessarily a single persons home, although I would definitely use it. But the styling is great for a large meeting place. If I had a castle, that is the design I would choose because it doesn't have to be jammed full of deco to look nice. There is a lot of deco that would match that tileset when you envision whats out there. Banners and deco shields, shard shields, all of those types of guild looking deco would look awesome in there. The top pillars could be used for memorials (which is actually a growing thing in this game because of the age of it). The chessboard inspires guildmates to compete and have healthy conversation, bonding time. Out of all the designs in the contest, it was easily my favorite. Definitely better than my own designs. I kept thinking about functionality and not as much about aesthetics. But after all this its obvious that both are very important.
It's a church... not a guild hall ..... a church. I don't care what others defend it with it's still a church in my eyes. And the pink carpet is a NO... and Dot and I are friends and I said it was pink carpet.... tried to tell me those are tiles... NO it's fluffy looking carpet IMO.. and I would NEVER put carpet on a roof...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's a church... not a guild hall ..... a church. I don't care what others defend it with it's still a church in my eyes. And the pink carpet is a NO... and Dot and I are friends and I said it was pink carpet.... tried to tell me those are tiles... NO it's fluffy looking carpet IMO.. and I would NEVER put carpet on a roof...
Meth is a helluva drug...

:rolleyes2:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Dot has made a beautiful cathedral, really lovely outside, but I just don't like pink, sorry Dot! I did suggest to my husband using carpet...a lot of carpet...oh well, you never know.