• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Astronomy Discussion and Suggestions (Screenshots and Possible Spoilers Herein)

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Astronomy looks pretty neat!

Here are the orrery and telescope:

Screenshot (74).png

The telescope actually lines up with your character so that it looks like you're looking through it (at least in CC), which I think is a really nice touch. It can be turned in 2 directions:

Screenshot (80).png Screenshot (81).png

Lock it down and double click to look through it.

If you look through it during daylight hours, you get a whited out view and a message that you won't see anything during the day. You can use a clock or other timepiece to tell what time it is in game so you can know when to stargaze.

Screenshot (84).png

However, if you look at night, you will see various astronomical phenomena such as comets, planets, and galaxies:

Screenshot (59).png

Screenshot (77).png
Screenshot (70).png

You can also find constellations. If you are the first person to find a given constellation, you can name it and hand your star chart to the astronomer in Moonglow, and your name and the constellation's name will be recorded in his book. (You get to keep the original star chart--the astronomer just records it.) He will award you a deed for the title of "Astronomer" and a recipe for crafting a telescope.

The astronomer is located in front of the old Moonglow observatory. Make sure you read the information on the table.

Screenshot (82).png

When you locate a constellation, to record it you will need a cartographer's pen and a blank scroll. I was able to do so as a human with 0 cartography skill, but I don't know if elves and gargoyles can without jack of all trades.

**EDIT--I am told elves can make star charts without jack of all trades.

• Use the pen, select star chart, and target your telescope.
  • You will now have a star chart. Open it and name your constellation at the bottom.
  • Make sure you click the red seal on the right to finalize your name.
  • You can rename them after you have sealed them, so if you make a mistake you can fix it before you turn it in.

Screenshot (79).png

It looks like they put a lot of time and effort into this and it looks pretty good. I am looking forward to playing with this on production. I do have a few suggestions though:

1. The astronomer should reject unnamed constellations. It is easy for a player not to realize they can name it and just hand it in, but ideally, in my opinion, they should all be named.
  2. You can't tell if a constellation you find has already been found unless you exhaustively screenshot/catalog the current finds or go drop every single one on the astronomer and hope for the best. Early on this isn't terrible, but as we get closer to most of them being found it will prove fairly frustrating. If there is a way to flag already found ones that would be helpful. It could be something as simple as making the Constellation Ledger an item that anyone could purchase or earn somehow so that we can check our new ones against the old ones. Something to keep us from having to outside catalog or keep going back and forth would be very helpful.
  3. You can't change the orrery when it is locked down--only when it is in your pack. You should be able to adjust it locked down.
  4. Star charts cannot be opened locked down. They should be readable. They should probably be red leaf-able too so they can't be overwritten.
  5. Since you can use a clock (or old holiday watch/timepiece, or sundial) to tell the time, I think it would be neat if looking through the telescope during the day actually gave a much stronger effect, like how the Slasher flashes your whole screen and freezes you for a couple seconds. Not a necessary thing obviously but I think it would be fun flavor.
I hope they add occasional seasonal content to this. I think there is plenty of room for additions and tie-ins with ongoing content.

You can check it out on TC1 by going to Britain Commons and clicking the blue stone to get the telescope and orrery. There is a blue gate to the astronomy tent next to the stone.

Screenshot (86).png

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Is there any use for it other than it being cool?
Not that I have yet found. I think it's a mini-game like the Huntmaster's Challenge or plant growing. I don't know for certain, though.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there just 1 title?
Is there a reason to find a lot of constellations other than having your name in the book multiple times?

Thanks for the info.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Is there just 1 title?
Is there a reason to find a lot of constellations other than having your name in the book multiple times?

Thanks for the info.
I have only received the one title "Astronomer" several times over. You get it as a deed. I have not tried using it on another character/account so I don't know if they are transferrable.

If there is another incentive than getting to name the constellations and having your name in the book, I have not found it.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Wow..This could be:
--The Dev team is introducing base content -looking at the stars- as a prelude to future expansion where:
--Content to new and unknown locations in a remote star? may be? You will be able to teleport there with a special item, maybe? or a special ?? All maybes. Interesting idea. Medieval looking at the stars, and eventually going there? To find new strange creatures/trinkets/treasures, who knows whats in the plans..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow..This could be:
--The Dev team is introducing base content -looking at the stars- as a prelude to future expansion where:
--Content to new and unknown locations in a remote star? may be? You will be able to teleport there with a special item, maybe? or a special ?? All maybes. Interesting idea. Medieval looking at the stars, and eventually going there? To find new strange creatures/trinkets/treasures, who knows whats in the plans..
Or they are giving us more deeds to collect like the Huntsmaster Challenge.

They know some of us will collect anything.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hope this great addition becomes something more than it currently is. Right now it's just clickety click click click until you see a constellation, target the scope and get the map which you can name. Done. Rinse and repeat. I would love to see this broadened into something deeper and wider.

The artwork is wonderful.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
if you double click the orrery then lock it down it spins around none stop.
pretty cool looking!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Takes a lot of clicks to find a Constellation.

The star chart has 0 skill requirement. 75% chance at 0 skill. Take a stack of scrolls and some cart pens

Click the red seal to name it. You can rename it over and over on the chart. But stays as first name you turned in with in the official list.

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it normal to fail and waste maps when charting? I "see...a galaxy/planet...etc" and tried to chart it and I get ..."there is nothing to chart at this time".

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few hundred clicks before you find a constellation is quite normal?
The items are neat, and the graphics are lovely, but I wouldn't want to worsen my RSI.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You also get a receipe for telescope crafting:
craftable with tinkering under assemblies and you need : 25 ingots, 1 workable glass and 1 sextant parts

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Or they are giving us more deeds to collect like the Huntsmaster Challenge.

They know some of us will collect anything.
All of the star charts are just labeled "Star Chart" when you look at them, and they don't open locked down so you can't read them. A locked down pile of a hundred unique constellation charts would be indistinguishable from a locked down pile of blank star charts.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All of the star charts are just labeled "Star Chart" when you look at them, and they don't open locked down so you can't read them. A locked down pile of a hundred unique constellation charts would be indistinguishable from a locked down pile of blank star charts.
Like you are going to throw one away...

I will post that as a bug and see what happens. Thanks

fonsvitae

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This is an incredible addition to UO; it can be used as a platform for growth in this vein (astronomy) or tie-ins with other areas of the game (or both). Nice.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If there are a certain number of constellations to be found, what happens on LS when Pawain and Sky find all of them? It begins again?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are more planets than that device has on it. One of them may be.
Too bad we don't see the other shards.

I wonder why I see both Trammel and Fel on the telescope. Where am I?

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Be sure and name your constellation something really mean so you can hurt another player. (your friend) And say it is all in fun. Best part is the name cannot ever be changed. Awesome!

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran

On Britannia~ :p

Trammel and Felucca are the names of the moons orbiting the planet. The facets were named after them.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

The other shard's facets occupy the same dimensional space as the one you live on, just at a different vibrational state.

Think layers of an onion or pages in a book, something like alternate universes, but... not. (no, I don't buy into the Mondain-created-a-multiverse idea, he wasn't a GOD. At best, he caused a dimensionally recursive multiplicative effect on local space. Sosaria was fractured into infinite aspects, i.e. shards with marginally differing histories. The resulting gravitational anomaly could account for the 12:1 time differential. But...spoilers, sweetie! :devil:)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Trammel and Felucca were always the names of the moons. They got "borrowed" for naming the facets, much later.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The star chart book only has 7 pages on test? Can we get book two? W said he recorded my star and gave gifts, was not there.7/7 pages

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Kyronix!!! Page 8 magically appeared and Sky's ( Wildfox) star is on it! * llama bows*

Sinder Shayde

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have only received the one title "Astronomer" several times over. You get it as a deed. I have not tried using it on another character/account so I don't know if they are transferrable.

If there is another incentive than getting to name the constellations and having your name in the book, I have not found it.
I believe you also have a chance of getting a telescope with your characters name on it, from what I read in the patch notes.

Publish 101 – Ultima Online
21st Anniversary Rewards
  • A 21st Anniversary Gift Bag will be given to all veteran characters who are at least 30 days old logging in between Saturday, September 1, 2018 12:01:00 AM GMT-04:00 (ET) and Monday, October 1, 2018 11:59:00 PM GMT-04:00 (ET). This only applies to TC 1 – these dates will be updated accordingly when Publish 101 is deployed world wide.
  • The Gift Bag will contain an anniversary card and token allowing the selection of a brass orrery or telescope
  • Collectibles available from the “Personal Study” of some of Britannia’s most notable characters, with a rare chance from your character’s personal study!
    • The Orrery can be activated and deactivated by double clicking.
    • The Orrery can be dyed with a metallic dyetub, natural dyes, and promotional dyes.
    • The telescope allows viewing the night sky!

Leprechaun

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thank you Kyronix!!! Page 8 magically appeared and Sky's ( Wildfox) star is on it! * llama bows*
Hee Hee! I spent about an hour looking last night and found 4. But the first 3 finished page 8 and there is no page 9 in the book to show the last one.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Okay so what am I doing wrong? Hours of clicking and changing those silly numbers and I have yet to fine ONE constellation! *sad face*