• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

how a castle SHOULD look

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
full disclosure, i have no idea who the owner of this castle is, i DO NOT have nor have not asked for permission to take screen shots much less post pics of their house, so if its your - SORRY!
a guild mate showed this place to me last year and this is how the new castle design should look.

if they gave us this as a castle i would take it in a heart beat.

and dont hate on my cut and splice, i tried to get the pic of each floor as one so i cut and spliced smaller pics together to make the large single floor pics.

Treasure Hunter

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
full disclosure, i have no idea who the owner of this castle is, i DO NOT have nor have not asked for permission to take screen shots much less post pics of their house, so if its your - SORRY!
a guild mate showed this place to me last year and this is how the new castle design should look.

Agreed. A huge percentage of the "castles" in round one on test are just big customized houses. Only a handful actually look like a "castle".

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
If you want a more traditional style yes I agree...but in UO it's still too cluttered, too many small rooms, too hard to get from one place to the other even WITH all the stairs.

I did something similar with mine and it was still a pain to get around...I'd like more open space and get rid of that annoying room in the middle...make the courtyard an actual courtyard in the front just inside the entrance with access to the upper floors easily accessible from the lower levels without having a billion little staircases.

This is lovely but NOT something I would want in game.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is some fun news. There will be only 3 winners this time. The vote totals will be on the stone when this is over. Keep are in danger of never being chosen I think. This news if from the Pacific meet and greet. Go see the castle. Just go see it.

As for vote totals maybe only top ones will show. She also said they have veto right if the rules were not followed. What rules? They said add ons were ok.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That looks awesome but all of those staircases would freak me out! I can't imagine navigating them after spending a night at the pub!

I suck at house customizing but what if they just kept the outside of the original castle? Then you could build the insides any way you want.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is some fun news. There will be only 3 winners this time. The vote totals will be on the stone when this is over. Keep are in danger of never being chosen I think. This news if from the Pacific meet and greet. Go see the castle. Just go see it.

As for vote totals maybe only top ones will show. She also said they have veto right if the rules were not followed. What rules? They said add ons were ok.
Ya that part of the meet and greet was confusing. I hope they mean 3 of each. Or some popular person on Atl will have to build a Keep.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Too cluttered, too many stairs, too many pokey rooms, not my cup of tea at all. I also hate deco that is on practically every available tile on the floor, I like SPACE. So Poo, sorry, what floats your boat doesnt' actually float everyones :)

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Too cluttered, too many stairs, too many pokey rooms, not my cup of tea at all. I also hate deco that is on practically every available tile on the floor, I like SPACE. So Poo, sorry, what floats your boat doesnt' actually float everyones :)
Go's totaly conforn with this except one point - i like decorating - but with pointated settings - less is almost more ;). Spring have build an fanstastic (and thats the point > fantastic ! ) castle on TC I also find great with this small towers and the balconies - but I think she/he uses the own oldstyle as model. And this oldstyle - yes - it have great decoration examples but at the first view I could not avoid the feeling to be in a better furniture shop like "Macy's" in NYC or what else you have in the States :) - we in Germany have "Porta" or even "Ikea"

Last edited:

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ya that part of the meet and greet was confusing. I hope they mean 3 of each. Or some popular person on Atl will have to build a Keep.
Not 3 of each....3 period....as this contest will run more then once per year, more and more designs will be added to the house placement tool as time goes on..so for this go round...only 3 new designs will be added...hopefully one of them is a keep lol.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh my gosh, there are so few of us left now. EVEN on Atlantic. So when Poo posts what he likes it is a good idea to rip the castle apart? Even with cute little sayings it is still wrong. If you do not like it say nothing. Move on. BUILD YOUR OWN.
Some one in chat said there are 1800 accounts. Maybe. So please stop bashing people's work, Please. I entered 3 keeps, 137, 187 and 190. One castle 143. Will any win? I do not think so. This has been the worst 3 weeks in my raccoon life. It should have been the best.
Yes I am still a llama, we cannot be raccoons. Yet.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Oh 3 in total? Damn, I was really hoping for a new Keep design. :(
The castle Poo posted is really beautifully decorated but I couldn't live with so much stuff, not to mention the lag. Also I fall off those single width stairs...:oops:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

and dont hate on my cut and splice, i tried to get the pic of each floor as one so i cut and spliced smaller pics together to make the large single floor pics.

I think it's well made, and decorated, but... I don't really care for it as a castle. Nothing about it says "castle" to me. I think a castle should be generally composed of a wall, with a courtyard leading to some small buildings/rooms and a large main building of multiple stories. Just looks like a big stone building to me.

Something more along these lines is what I imagine when I think "castle".

Ironically this is an inn not a castle, but still that's the iconic "castle" look I think of. A keep/tower with outer walls.

Delores D

Journeyman
Have you looked at castle 251? I have some rooms, room for crafters and easy ways to get to the 3rd floor and the roof. Court yard in the front. I moved the main room back and extended the walls to the side and made doorways, (arches) to get to the side halls.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it's well made, and decorated, but... I don't really care for it as a castle. Nothing about it says "castle" to me. I think a castle should be generally composed of a wall, with a courtyard leading to some small buildings/rooms and a large main building of multiple stories. Just looks like a big stone building to me.

Something more along these lines is what I imagine when I think "castle".

Ironically this is an inn not a castle, but still that's the iconic "castle" look I think of. A keep/tower with outer walls.
Ah... someone is liking Baldurs Gate - and you should go to #198 - i try to rebuild it but even a 32 x 32 Plot for this is not enough ;) - I take a real keep from UK which even was a film set for a mediaval knights film - so for example for Ironclad - Rochester Castle

Normally my house designs speaks for themselves and I really need not make any advertisings on my own designs which are in this content ;)
I have 3 keep (#101 - elvish, 238 historic rebuild and #274 - fantasy) and this castle #198 (another historic rebuild) in this contest and all have a different style of a different roleplay-theme for possible playertowns - and my personal favorite from this four is #238 - the rebuild of the Knossos Palace. Yes - at the first view it's perhaps like a cube - but's only the first view ;). - This is for information only! Leave it or like it.

Attachments

Last edited:

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am ready to move into castle#141

It fits all the criteria: castle-like, has towers, courtyard, very roomy, big roof space to fit several garden sheds. And...it has no interior doors yesssssssssss

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not 3 of each....3 period....as this contest will run more then once per year, more and more designs will be added to the house placement tool as time goes on..so for this go round...only 3 new designs will be added...hopefully one of them is a keep lol.
I predict a long wait before a Keep design appears. The majority of voters chose castles I'm sure.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

You need to post a link with those numbers.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I predict a long wait before a Keep design appears. The majority of voters chose castles I'm sure.
Yeah I'm sure...and right now even though the castles we have are a bit cumbersome to get around in, the keeps by FAR are MUCH worse...I'd rather have a new open-floor keep design then a new castle at this point.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Frodo! Look at the thread that Larisa posted of the meet up transcript, You too S. There is your link.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
From the Meet and Greet last night:

[Haisley]: when will we know what ones won?

[Mesanna]: The stone will display the top votes

[Mesanna]: of course we hold veto rights

[Mesanna]: if the rules were not followed

AND

[Rusalka]: do you think we might get 3 new castles and 3 new keeps

[Mesanna]: no this is not the only time

[Mesanna]: we will do 3 new designs each publish

[Rusalka]: well thanks for that info folks are asking

[Mesanna]: so what does in depends on you guys

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It will be 2 Castles and 1 Keep. It doesn't matter if the 3rd castle had more votes than the top keep. It was clearly stated that there will be TWO castle winners and ONE Keep.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah... someone is liking Baldurs Gate - and you should go to #198 - i try to rebuild it but even a 32 x 32 Plot for this is not enough ;) - I take a real keep from UK which even was a film set for a mediaval knights film - so for example for Ironclad - Rochester Castle

Normally my house designs speaks for themselves and I really need not make any advertisings on my own designs which are in this content ;)
I have 3 keep (#101 - elvish, 238 historic rebuild and #274 - fantasy) and this castle #198 (another historic rebuild) in this contest and all have a different style of a different roleplay-theme for possible playertowns - and my personal favorite from this four is #238 - the rebuild of the Knossos Palace. Yes - at the first view it's perhaps like a cube - but's only the first view ;). - This is for information only! Leave it or like it.
I think I'm more of a wall type purist, but yeah that looks pretty much like a castle to me. Doesn't seem all that cuby to me. :D

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It will be 2 Castles and 1 Keep. It doesn't matter if the 3rd castle had more votes than the top keep. It was clearly stated that there will be TWO castle winners and ONE Keep.
aha ? And where plz? Surely not on the Pacific M&G ;) - 3 designs each contest means 3 altogether and Mesanna has nothing clearified that it will 2 Castle and a keep...

I might be old but my eyes do still their work ;)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I thought it was a definite number of both, I hope all the people that made Keeps didn't just waste their time, that would really suck! :(