• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why ca

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tbh I don't even know what peak hours are on these servers. I've spawn anywhere from 7am-to midnight EST. I rarely even saw a blue while playing. Especially when I did the further t2a spawns, I never saw anyone
Evening I would imagine when people are off of work. 5pm-9pm regionally. There's an argument being made here is that it's too difficult for an average person to spawn during those hours, and I don't think that's accurate. I just think the risk is higher than it is at say 3:30 am.

I wish I had some prodo characters, I would try it myself.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I probably did play during peak hours, when Luna bank goes from 0 to 2 people. At least on the servers I've played (other than Atlantic of course) pk's at spawn were a non issue. Go to desert or ice and it's no problem.
Evening I would imagine when people are off of work. 5pm-9pm regionally. There's an argument being made here is that it's too difficult for an average person to spawn during those hours, and I don't think that's accurate. I just think the risk is higher than it is at say 3:30 am.

I wish I had some prodo characters, I would try it myself.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Plus the argument is one layer. I don't think anyone would argue that non pvp games are more popular, that's a given.
I am going to argue exactly this. :)

EDIT - LOL, I think I misread your post. I didn't see the word "non". Nevermind, everything stands. :D
[I do like, and rate your posts by the way, when I read them properly!].

I believe the main false emotive assumption made by UO players of a certain zealous mindset is to ignore the factually obvious,they have convinced themselves and everyone PvP is not popular.

Look at this poster below for example, I believe this guy is a troll, who keeps pumping out the same old rhetoric no matter what.
His facts are easily annihilated, I only lack the time to do it completely.

There wouldn't be posts on Stratics complaining that VvV was dead, because people would jump at the chance to PvP.
But there are those posts.

Games that came out post-UO that had more of a Fel type environment would be prospering, whereas games that came out post-UO that had more of a Tram type environment would be failing.
But that's not the case. Shadowbane is dead. Darkfall has 3,344 likes on facebook;
Darkfall Online
Everquest has 66,431;
EverQuest
UO has 27,757.
Ultima Online
(Facebook likes aren't a perfect indicator of a game's popularity but it's a much better metric than individual posters.)
No likes for Shadowbane because it died.
I found a Facebook page for a free shard! Number or likes: 3,773.
I found a Facebook page for another free shard, specifically dedicated to the Second Age era. Number of likes: 1,680.
Finally, Fel would be so popular on its own that threads like these wouldn't exist.

I could go on and on but that's enough for now. Ultimately the argument of these types of threads is "Trammel failed, because failure is defined by the original poster not liking it."
My evidence to prove PvP games are in fact the most popular games in existence right now.

Most popular 50 games right now;
The 50+ Most Popular Video Games Right Now

1. Fortnite: Battle Royale - SERIOUSLY PvP with a Feluccan style environment. This game is controversial, yet captures the essence of UO in its prime.
2. Grand Theft Auto V - Seriously a Feluccan rogue playstyle.
3. Minecraft - Kids game, UO has a lot of Minecraft similarities with its retro graphics and levels of customisation - current Castle contest fits this style perfectly.
4. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege - Pure PvP.
5. Overwatch - Team based multiplayer online first person shooter = PvP.
6. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - I wonder.
8. League of Legends - Multiplayer online battle arena.
11. Call of Duty Black Ops.
12. Call of Duty WWII.
13. Counter Strike Global Offensive.
14. Roblox - Again Kids game, so much in common with UO, like Minecraft, my kids play this, they also look over my shoulder in awe at UO which I won't let them play, don't want it to affect their studies.
15. God of War.
16. Call of Duty Black Ops III.
17. Battlefield 1.
18. Blah blah blah, I'm getting bored now.

Hopefully by this point, I have completely proved the point as to the most popular style of game = PvP without the slightest doubt, beyond any sort of reproach or argument.
You can look at any site ranking games, and you will get a similar story, I picked this one randomly.
So lets take this as read from now, anything stating anything different, is just plain and simply wrong, and can be ignored for all purposes of debate.

So, moving on, lets look at UO, and what it can do, to re-establish itself.

UO is known nostalgically for great PvP, it fits the current retro mold, it is also known for it's fast paced, and super fun style of PvP - this was a HUGE draw for UO, one which years and years of destroying it from the game have decimated UO. Bring it back, focus the game around it.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe the main false emotive assumption made by UO players of a certain zealous mindset is to ignore the factually obvious,they have convinced themselves and everyone PvP is not popular.
Hah, I actually considered prefacing my statement, because yes, directly competitive games are wildly popular. What I mean was within a mixed system (primarily the topic at hand, MMO games), where there are conflicting interests between pvp and pve, that people I would say prefer the latter to the former greatly. But games that the only thing you do is pvp, and that's the only the thing the game was designed to do, yeah that's a different kettle of fish. That's why I mentioned Fallout 76, since it's a mixed style/mmo lite experience where some people playing won't want to pvp and others will. I think generally people want one or the other and most of the strife comes from the mingling. Ostensibly that's what people are asking for, that the pvp aspect of the game be neutered to the point that it is rendered meaningless.

Last edited:

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Well let's see here...

The claim being made is that PvP games are more popular than other games, and that, if true, this will suggest that going back to UO's past, with more open PvP, will make the game prosper.

Against this claim I have laid carefully researched evidence and appropriate comparisons. With many supporting links. To support this claim, we have a series of other games that, supposedly, are PvP focused and are prosperous as a consequence of such. Presumably these games are all appropriate comparisons to UO.

God of War:
Primarily a single-player series, some of the installments have an online component. I have no impression of this being an MMO-like game where you follow the day-to-day-lives of characters. Further it looks like it's been remade a time or two, so who knows which version is being used for comparison.

Not comparable to UO, and not even primarily an online game.

Source:
God of War (franchise) - Wikipedia

Call of Duty (you listed 2 games in the same franchise):
An FPS series with a modern setting. Primarily a single player series with an online component. It looks like there's a fully-online version but it's exclusive to China and, further, from a gameplay video I found it looks like this is really just the online component of the single-player games pasted up online.

Not comparable to UO.

Sources:
Call of Duty - Wikipedia

GTA 5:
Single-player game with an online component (known, apparently, as GTA Online). Limited in nature. Modern setting.

Not comparable to UO.

Sources:
Grand Theft Auto V - Wikipedia

Grand Theft Auto Online - Wikipedia

Overwatch:
Online only! Now we're getting someplace. Oh, wait, not an MMO. Also science fiction setting. Also as described it's more analogous to a limited team battle than to an MMO.

So, yeah. You know the drill by now: Not comparable.

Source:
Overwatch (video game) - Wikipedia

Fortnite:
Battles potentially large but still limited in scope. Not really comparable.

Fortnite Battle Royale - Wikipedia

Following the model in your post I guess I'll stop early.

Also, my analysis is incomplete. For example I didn't get into how many of those games are actually free to play with micro transactions as opposed to UO which is subscription-based with a free option and comparatively few micro transactions. (Some.) Incomplete analysis but in fairness I'm going up against something that essentially is a list.

I guess if you're willing to stretch the definition of "PvP" very far then many old-school arcade games also can be called "PvP" oriented. Of course you could use the term, using the same logic, to refer to offline sports (Soccer anyone?) and competitive fighting events (MMA anyone?), but you'd be stretching the term way, way past UO.

But I mean, honestly...Most of us are playing a game called Ultima Online that is a different sort of breed than the games you want to compare it to. When most of us say "PvP" we mean it in that context.

If those other experiences are what you're looking for then other options exist, but to try and bring that to UO ultimately is fitting a square peg in a round hole.

I realize I can't shake your preferences or Uvatha's or whomever's. You're not my audience. rather the audience is anyone who would see your list and not think to question it and dig deeper. I didn't even dig all-that-deep (frankly I'd rather spend more of my free time playing UO but I do some debunking as a public service), but again I'm up against a list.

I am going to argue exactly this. :)

EDIT - LOL, I think I misread your post. I didn't see the word "non". Nevermind, everything stands. :D
[I do like, and rate your posts by the way, when I read them properly!].

Look at this poster below for example, I believe this guy is a troll, who keeps pumping out the same old rhetoric no matter what.
His facts are easily annihilated, I only lack the time to do it completely.

My evidence to prove PvP games are in fact the most popular games in existence right now.

Most popular 50 games right now;
The 50+ Most Popular Video Games Right Now

1. Fortnite: Battle Royale - SERIOUSLY PvP with a Feluccan style environment. This game is controversial, yet captures the essence of UO in its prime.
2. Grand Theft Auto V - Seriously a Feluccan rogue playstyle.
3. Minecraft - Kids game, UO has a lot of Minecraft similarities with its retro graphics and levels of customisation - current Castle contest fits this style perfectly.
4. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege - Pure PvP.
5. Overwatch - Team based multiplayer online first person shooter = PvP.
6. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - I wonder.
8. League of Legends - Multiplayer online battle arena.
11. Call of Duty Black Ops.
12. Call of Duty WWII.
13. Counter Strike Global Offensive.
14. Roblox - Again Kids game, so much in common with UO, like Minecraft, my kids play this, they also look over my shoulder in awe at UO which I won't let them play, don't want it to affect their studies.
15. God of War.
16. Call of Duty Black Ops III.
17. Battlefield 1.
18. Blah blah blah, I'm getting bored now.

Hopefully by this point, I have completely proved the point as to the most popular style of game = PvP without the slightest doubt, beyond any sort of reproach or argument.
You can look at any site ranking games, and you will get a similar story, I picked this one randomly.
So lets take this as read from now, anything stating anything different, is just plain and simply wrong, and can be ignored for all purposes of debate.

So, moving on, lets look at UO, and what it can do, to re-establish itself.

UO is known nostalgically for great PvP, it fits the current retro mold, it is also known for it's fast paced, and super fun style of PvP - this was a HUGE draw for UO, one which years and years of destroying it from the game have decimated UO. Bring it back, focus the game around it.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The problem with equal facet access to drops only benefits tram players. If people want to get a thing or attain a goal they will naturally take the path of least resistance, if the Roof was available in fel, people would still in a vast majority will do the thing in tram. Why? It's easier. The rewards over time will be far, far more substantive. If you move scrolls to tram, just like regular monsters that are 99% farmed in tram, because the rewards are far higher due to lack of risk.

Plus even if you give people in tram scrolls unless it's a substantive source people will still complain. If it is a substantive source it kills the value of fel spawns, plain and simple.
This post is very telling, but not for the reasons you will claim. My proposal gave you a lot more than the Tram side gets. (Remember that part of your side of the fence's argument is that, somehow, all the content is the cause, rather than the consequence [which it clearly is] of the Trammel rules being more popular. My proposal gives all that content to you.) That somehow isn't enough because how other people get things interests you more. Most players voted with their feet a long time ago (see one of my earlier posts). You somehow reverse the logic and assert the opposite.

*shrugs* I know I won't convert you. You aren't my audience. I'm just trying to drop some logic and facts into the discussion. (Note that I wasn't the one proposing dropping power scrolls into Trammel. That'd be a good thing to do but it'll never happen and I'd rather waste as few breaths as I can.)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
To be honest, the Devs have made efforts to from time to time try to bring back to life different relative DEAD aspects of the game one way or another: Examples are last year events that made people start doing content necessary with treasure hunting, other events with fishing etc. You will ahve to do these to get the ark going.
They also made the taming revamp with the pets, valiant effort though not well though through and its consequences. That brought PvP and non-PVP play styles in much more direct confrontation and imbalance, and created more player stress on both sides, and the nerfs followed one after another.
Not all tamers PvP even with fighter toons, and these people are not interested in PvP for their own reasons. They are NOT the minority in the game, and they ARE paying customers.
It is possible the Devs did the pet PS thing to make non-PvP people at least give it a try and learn PvP, and try to revamp PvP, like they did with the T-hunter event. Who knows.
PvP is not just "Oh, I'll just learn a little PvP to get my pet revamp PS content". PVP is a much more specialized content, that depends on specialized toons, that can stealth, ninja, deathstrike, have two weapon specialties many times, and also magery, use high level poison, specialized potions, weapons with special moves and boosted gear and armor, etc. and much more importantly the ability and desire to overcome another player, while paying close attention to the other players toon, defenses, armor weapon mode of attack, and playstyle. PvP is a lifetime of learning of sorts, and also mindset to aggro another player and kill them.
PK is a subspecialty of PVP that also includes, killing defenseless players, ResKill, and rob them of hours of work at times, and ruining spawning. Their rationalization for this UOcrime is siteing examples of football, goal posts contesting the spawn, and we also have heard that Pkers are Neurosurgeons (some at least as we read in the forum), that try to get "release?" by committing these acts in the game. Also that they are the nicest people, and highly accomplished professionals etc. Oh we feel so sorry for these unfortunate highly stressed empathetic in RL Neurosurgeons who in the game have no empathy at all. They are NOT PSYCHO-KILLERS, you know. Because they are neurosurgeons. Nice justification for f**ing up my game, Lets try to understand them a little, right? But that is not my point.
My point is that Devs have created a NEED for non-PvP players to start depending on PvP content, being fully aware that the non-PvP players-tamers will be at a huge disadvantage trying to get content for their pets. Or did they miss the boat on this one? Did they think that this will bring more PvP in the game? Or convince non-PvP'ers to start PvP ing? Did they forget that lots of people DETEST PvP? Or that PVP/PK toons and gear are highly specialized, and usually their main function at spawns is to murder others at spawns and really are not effective in working spawns vs other NON-PvP toons, equipment, skills etc that are geared to clear spawns but cannot defend themselves?
It was ok, sort of, the way it was for decades with pVP and non-PVP when the PS content was meant for players toons and not pets. Since the "pet revamp" the demand for PS has become huge and their prices are still high. They may be getting lower now that players are leaving the game after being disillusioned.
There should have been OTHER solutions for pet upgrades, and not player white PS.
There is bound to be some collateral damage to the game from this, not just back and forth arguments like here in this forum, but actual players that got into the game for taming leaving when they see that they are hopeless getting what they need, or the nerfs that have happened and will likely continue to happen.
You are going to see a lot of BS thrown back and forth by both camps, ad nauseum. The reality is :

They should at least allow for some non-PVP options for pet upgrades, other than PVP, getting PK'd, spending one month and a year on the Roof to may be get a drop to sell, and other than going to RMT sites and buy content for RL $$.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To be honest, the Devs have made efforts to from time to time try to bring back to life different relative DEAD aspects of the game one way or another: Examples are last year events that made people start doing content necessary with treasure hunting, other events with fishing etc. You will ahve to do these to get the ark going.
They also made the taming revamp with the pets, valiant effort though not well though through and its consequences. That brought PvP and non-PVP play styles in much more direct confrontation and imbalance, and created more player stress on both sides, and the nerfs followed one after another.
Not all tamers PvP even with fighter toons, and these people are not interested in PvP for their own reasons. They are NOT the minority in the game, and they ARE paying customers.
It is possible the Devs did the pet PS thing to make non-PvP people at least give it a try and learn PvP, and try to revamp PvP, like they did with the T-hunter event. Who knows.
PvP is not just "Oh, I'll just learn a little PvP to get my pet revamp PS content". PVP is a much more specialized content, that depends on specialized toons, that can stealth, ninja, deathstrike, have two weapon specialties many times, and also magery, use high level poison, specialized potions, weapons with special moves and boosted gear and armor, etc. and much more importantly the ability and desire to overcome another player, while paying close attention to the other players toon, defenses, armor weapon mode of attack, and playstyle. PvP is a lifetime of learning of sorts, and also mindset to aggro another player and kill them.
PK is a subspecialty of PVP that also includes, killing defenseless players, ResKill, and rob them of hours of work at times, and ruining spawning. Their rationalization for this UOcrime is siteing examples of football, goal posts contesting the spawn, and we also have heard that Pkers are Neurosurgeons (some at least as we read in the forum), that try to get "release?" by committing these acts in the game. Also that they are the nicest people, and highly accomplished professionals etc. Oh we feel so sorry for these unfortunate highly stressed empathetic in RL Neurosurgeons who in the game have no empathy at all. They are NOT PSYCHO-KILLERS, you know. Because they are neurosurgeons. Nice justification for f**ing up my game, Lets try to understand them a little, right? But that is not my point.
My point is that Devs have created a NEED for non-PvP players to start depending on PvP content, being fully aware that the non-PvP players-tamers will be at a huge disadvantage trying to get content for their pets. Or did they miss the boat on this one? Did they think that this will bring more PvP in the game? Or convince non-PvP'ers to start PvP ing? Did they forget that lots of people DETEST PvP? Or that PVP/PK toons and gear are highly specialized, and usually their main function at spawns is to murder others at spawns and really are not effective in working spawns vs other NON-PvP toons, equipment, skills etc that are geared to clear spawns but cannot defend themselves?
It was ok, sort of, the way it was for decades with pVP and non-PVP when the PS content was meant for players toons and not pets. Since the "pet revamp" the demand for PS has become huge and their prices are still high. They may be getting lower now that players are leaving the game after being disillusioned.
There should have been OTHER solutions for pet upgrades, and not player white PS.
There is bound to be some collateral damage to the game from this, not just back and forth arguments like here in this forum, but actual players that got into the game for taming leaving when they see that they are hopeless getting what they need, or the nerfs that have happened and will likely continue to happen.
You are going to see a lot of BS thrown back and forth by both camps, ad nauseum. The reality is :

They should at least allow for some non-PVP options for pet upgrades, other than PVP, getting PK'd, spending one month and a year on the Roof to may be get a drop to sell, and other than going to RMT sites and buy content for RL $$.

The biggest thing you miss in this statement is the economic aspect of uo.

Many pvpers don't farm items. They buy them from pvmers.

They don't want to pvm. So they spend gold.

Why can't the same be true in reverse?

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

LOL..I agree with you on all points.
I also think that the developers 1> Do not play the game or play-test the game, and 2> They absolutely have no clue as to how to correct these messes, 3> If they try to "fix" things by attempting to add upgrade items for pets other than what they have now, they will likely create a storm of bugs and problems that they will not know how to correct.

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The biggest thing you miss in this statement is the economic aspect of uo.

Many pvpers don't farm items. They buy them from pvmers.

They don't want to pvm. So they spend gold.

Why can't the same be true in reverse?
A little bit off topic, but where do they get the gold? Or is it that most papers also have pvm characters that farm gold somehow? The generalization may not be all the way the truth..

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A little bit off topic, but where do they get the gold? Or is it that most papers also have pvm characters that farm gold somehow? The generalization may not be all the way the truth..
They will certainly have their sources of gold, but the most obviously one is the fact of rezzkilling because of the armor insurance.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This post is very telling, but not for the reasons you will claim. My proposal gave you a lot more than the Tram side gets. (Remember that part of your side of the fence's argument is that, somehow, all the content is the cause, rather than the consequence [which it clearly is] of the Trammel rules being more popular. My proposal gives all that content to you.) That somehow isn't enough because how other people get things interests you more. Most players voted with their feet a long time ago (see one of my earlier posts). You somehow reverse the logic and assert the opposite.

*shrugs* I know I won't convert you. You aren't my audience. I'm just trying to drop some logic and facts into the discussion. (Note that I wasn't the one proposing dropping power scrolls into Trammel. That'd be a good thing to do but it'll never happen and I'd rather waste as few breaths as I can.)
I think you may misunderstand me, because I don't think this assessment is accurate to my opinions. I would never argue that tram is less popular, or that it even should not get the lion share of the content, which it should, and does. It's about the experiences we have available to us and what makes them function.

It's the reason for tram popularity that's important.. it's about tram being objectively easier due to the lack of risk, which obviously leads to it being more popular because people naturally seek the path of least resistance to attain their goals, and most people's primary goals are centered around attaining certain drops. To preface, there's nothing wrong with preferring a tram playstyle.

As to the claim that the fel facet would be the one "getting" the most here, I highly disagree. Players are not locked on two different shards, one with power scrolls and pvp and one without, it's the same shard and everyone has the same access to the same content. One specific content addition is in the fel facet, it was put there intentionally to be the base of a particular type of experience, ie competitive pve.
Players who aren't against playing in an open pvp ruleset can also go to tram whenever they want and thus they can, as such they already have unfettered access to all tram content. Putting it in fel would accomplish nothing. On the other hand players who chose not to enter fel have placed a restriction on themselves, this isn't a restriction put in place by the game or it's mechanics, only by their preference. Again, that's just fine, but to be clear, they already have direct as well as indirect access to power scrolls, some of them just choose to behave as if they didn't, or that they are dissatisfied with the supply, something that could be addressed without removing scrolls from fel.

Taking the one item that was designed and implemented to be a source of a specific pvp experience based completely on the locational scarcity of a specific reward, and dramatically lessing (if not functionally erasing) that scarcity by adding a risk free location to the list of places you can get it, would in essence remove that experience, due to the obvious and I think universally agreed upon reasons stated above, specifically that it's harder to get something with the threat of being engaged in pvp.

Like I mentioned taking scrolls out of fel is not the answer to lessen scroll supply woes among those who choose to not participate in spawning personally. You could alter the drop rate, or create pet scrolls, whatever. I think there are solutions that take both the integrity of the champ spawn experience and the needs of the tram only players into account.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my experience, pvpers mostly do have pvm alts but that many of them don't want to pvm, they simply have to i order to get gear. I think a lot of pvp player income probably comes from scrolls, but I can only speculate.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
[It's the reason for tram popularity that's important.. it's about tram being objectively easier due to the lack of risk]

No; different risks. A monster can kill your character the same way a PC can. Indeed, consider this: To win at PvP you don't have to be the best, you just have to be the least worst in the fight. Indeed think further. In PvP you have the option of rolling into Global Chat or a message board and explaining how your loss didn't count due to some template issue, lag, etc. I've seen Global Chat arguments that greatly exceed the length, and exaggerate the scale, of the fights that started them.

Dread Horn, say, doesn't have that option. It dies, or your character does. That PvP is objectively harder is a myth that keeps getting propagated as fact. When you think about it, though, the reality is that it's a subjective obstacle.

[Players who aren't against playing in an open pvp ruleset can also go to tram whenever they want and thus they can, as such they already have unfettered access to all tram content. Putting it in fel would accomplish nothing.]

What it would accomplish is giving you and your folks the ability to have access to everything I do (ok, I guess maybe event themed content that only happens once would still only happen once), without having to go to a rules set that you don't like. You could compete with each other all you want over, say, the Shadowguard artifacts. OR you could come to my side of the fence and get them more reliably with the negative that you'd have to put up with me getting them without your being able to try and take them from me. Same in reverse with power scrolls.

So you'd still have the same choice you have now but you would have an additional choice: The ability to get pretty much anything you wanted (ok, with the exception I hadn't thought of originally, with event content still only being offered once under whatever the conditions the event had) and compete against each other at the same time.

If they do the drop rates right, most items will still come from the rules set they are native to, anyway, so the same cross-rules set trading will still occur.

Or are you admitting that the part that appeals to you is using PvP to get PvM items from characters whose players are not into PvP and literally are only exposing themselves to it for the sake of the items, rather than wanting to PvP.

[I would never argue that tram is less popular, or that it even should not get the lion share of the content, which it should, and does]

Part of the premise your side of the fence often has is that Fel actually is more popular it's just that the devs somehow don't notice, or cater to a vocal minority. OR that somehow going back to the Fel-only days would boost UO's popularity (which isn't the same thing as saying that Fel's more popular but, if you were right, then Fel would be more popular, with it obviously isn't). These assertions are counter-factual, to be sure, but that's what's argued.

All this is pointless though: They will never put power scrolls in Trammel rules facets. They're more-likely to put other things in Fel that will be under-used (Abyssal Infernal; Primeval Lich) than they are to put power scrolls in Trammel rules facets.

The discussion serves no purpose to anyone.

I think you may misunderstand me, because I don't think this assessment is accurate to my opinions. I would never argue that tram is less popular, or that it even should not get the lion share of the content, which it should, and does. It's about the experiences we have available to us and what makes them function.

It's the reason for tram popularity that's important.. it's about tram being objectively easier due to the lack of risk, which obviously leads to it being more popular because people naturally seek the path of least resistance to attain their goals, and most people's primary goals are centered around attaining certain drops. To preface, there's nothing wrong with preferring a tram playstyle.

As to the claim that the fel facet would be the one "getting" the most here, I highly disagree. Players are not locked on two different shards, one with power scrolls and pvp and one without, it's the same shard and everyone has the same access to the same content. One specific content addition is in the fel facet, it was put there intentionally to be the base of a particular type of experience, ie competitive pve.
Players who aren't against playing in an open pvp ruleset can also go to tram whenever they want and thus they can, as such they already have unfettered access to all tram content. Putting it in fel would accomplish nothing. On the other hand players who chose not to enter fel have placed a restriction on themselves, this isn't a restriction put in place by the game or it's mechanics, only by their preference. Again, that's just fine, but to be clear, they already have direct as well as indirect access to power scrolls, some of them just choose to behave as if they didn't, or that they are dissatisfied with the supply, something that could be addressed without removing scrolls from fel.

Taking the one item that was designed and implemented to be a source of a specific pvp experience based completely on the locational scarcity of a specific reward, and dramatically lessing (if not functionally erasing) that scarcity by adding a risk free location to the list of places you can get it, would in essence remove that experience, due to the obvious and I think universally agreed upon reasons stated above, specifically that it's harder to get something with the threat of being engaged in pvp.

Like I mentioned taking scrolls out of fel is not the answer to lessen scroll supply woes among those who choose to not participate in spawning personally. You could alter the drop rate, or create pet scrolls, whatever. I think there are solutions that take both the integrity of the champ spawn experience and the needs of the tram only players into account.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No; different risks. A monster can kill your character the same way a PC can. Indeed, consider this: To win at PvP you don't have to be the best, you just have to be the least worst in the fight. Indeed think further. In PvP you have the option of rolling into Global Chat or a message board and explaining how your loss didn't count due to some template issue, lag, etc. I've seen Global Chat arguments that greatly exceed the length, and exaggerate the scale, of the fights that started them.
You do know there are monsters in fel right? Not only that but the monsters in fel are more dangerous because you have to use stamina to push past them. The rest of this paragraph is just "I don't like how some pvpers act." Me either, but I don't see why that's relevant to risk. PVP in fel is more risky, I don't think this is all that debatable. If someone can come in and attack you in one area and not in another, the latter is on average much safer.

What it would accomplish is giving you and your folks the ability to have access to everything I do (ok, I guess maybe event themed content that only happens once would still only happen once), without having to go to a rules set that you don't like. You could compete with each other all you want over, say, the Shadowguard artifacts. OR you could come to my side of the fence and get them more reliably with the negative that you'd have to put up with me getting them without your being able to try and take them from me. Same in reverse with power scrolls.
Pvpers already have access to everything you have access to, and vice versa, pvpers may not love the idea of tram, but they go there to do what they need to do, and complain about it far less. I don't see how you don't get the fact that the competition over scrolls is predicated on necessity. If you can get them somewhere else the need to compete over scrolls is gone.

So you'd still have the same choice you have now but you would have an additional choice: The ability to get pretty much anything you wanted (ok, with the exception I hadn't thought of originally, with event content still only being offered once under whatever the conditions the event had) and compete against each other at the same time.
Right, worse options than the ones they already had, as I already explained, ones that no one wants, and no one would use. PLUS pvpers would no longer have the option to look for spawns to raid, because they would no longer be done in fel. The thing that makes spawns fun for people to pvp over is again, the fact that that's the only place you can get scrolls. That is the whole of the idea. The fight has unique value.

If they do the drop rates right, most items will still come from the rules set they are native to, anyway, so the same cross-rules set trading will still occur.
Well, considering that the majority of players play in tram, and all items of value outside of scrolls (and lich spawn items I guess) are native to tram, id imagine that's a given, yeah? Though if you think that scrolls would still mostly come from tram, I don't see how, even with like a 10% drop rate. Way more people, freedom to run spawns (or script in complete safety if you ascribe to that) all day and all night well that's gonna be a scroll farm. Seriously, baracoon would be run all day long. There would just be a billion people down there spamming and running the spawn like 10 times an hour... all day, every day.

Or are you admitting that the part that appeals to you is using PvP to get PvM items from characters whose players are not into PvP and literally are only exposing themselves to it for the sake of the items, rather than wanting to PvP.
As I've said multiple times, I don't pk, pvp, or anything of that nature. So I can't answer that question.

Part of the premise your side of the fence often has is that Fel actually is more popular it's just that the devs somehow don't notice, or cater to a vocal minority. OR that somehow going back to the Fel-only days would boost UO's popularity (which isn't the same thing as saying that Fel's more popular but, if you were right, then Fel would be more popular, with it obviously isn't). These assertions are counter-factual, to be sure, but that's what's argued.
I try not to speak for others, I speak for myself, and on the things I've observed. This is certainly not an argument I see often. I do think the experience is much more dynamic and fun when pvp is open, and everything that people complain about like power creep, inflation, player interdependance, inflation and other economy woes are all much less pervasive. I think people really underaccount the damage that nonstop farming can do to every aspect of the game. Of course you have to find a balance, and I think pre tram UO lacked that balance. I think Siege lacks that balance too, but it's closer anyway.

All this is pointless though: They will never put power scrolls in Trammel rules facets. They're more-likely to put other things in Fel that will be under-used (Abyssal Infernal; Primeval Lich) than they are to put power scrolls in Trammel rules facets.

Probably correct, and they should add in more things. Fel has literally one content addition in the last decade, being VvV which was really just replacing an older better liked factions system. Since tram started Fel has gotten only Factions, VvV, pub 16/champ spawns, and those two new spawns. That's it. Every other content addition as well as every EM even goes to Tram. Fel players are due some new content.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well let's see here...

The claim being made is that PvP games are more popular than other games, and that, if true, this will suggest that going back to UO's past, with more open PvP, will make the game prosper.

Against this claim I have laid carefully researched evidence and appropriate comparisons. With many supporting links. To support this claim, we have a series of other games that, supposedly, are PvP focused and are prosperous as a consequence of such. Presumably these games are all appropriate comparisons to UO.

God of War:
Primarily a single-player series, some of the installments have an online component. I have no impression of this being an MMO-like game where you follow the day-to-day-lives of characters. Further it looks like it's been remade a time or two, so who knows which version is being used for comparison.

Not comparable to UO, and not even primarily an online game.

Source:
God of War (franchise) - Wikipedia

Call of Duty (you listed 2 games in the same franchise):
An FPS series with a modern setting. Primarily a single player series with an online component. It looks like there's a fully-online version but it's exclusive to China and, further, from a gameplay video I found it looks like this is really just the online component of the single-player games pasted up online.

Not comparable to UO.

Sources:
Call of Duty - Wikipedia

GTA 5:
Single-player game with an online component (known, apparently, as GTA Online). Limited in nature. Modern setting.

Not comparable to UO.

Sources:
Grand Theft Auto V - Wikipedia

Grand Theft Auto Online - Wikipedia

Overwatch:
Online only! Now we're getting someplace. Oh, wait, not an MMO. Also science fiction setting. Also as described it's more analogous to a limited team battle than to an MMO.

So, yeah. You know the drill by now: Not comparable.

Source:
Overwatch (video game) - Wikipedia

Fortnite:
Battles potentially large but still limited in scope. Not really comparable.

Fortnite Battle Royale - Wikipedia

Following the model in your post I guess I'll stop early.

Also, my analysis is incomplete. For example I didn't get into how many of those games are actually free to play with micro transactions as opposed to UO which is subscription-based with a free option and comparatively few micro transactions. (Some.) Incomplete analysis but in fairness I'm going up against something that essentially is a list.

I guess if you're willing to stretch the definition of "PvP" very far then many old-school arcade games also can be called "PvP" oriented. Of course you could use the term, using the same logic, to refer to offline sports (Soccer anyone?) and competitive fighting events (MMA anyone?), but you'd be stretching the term way, way past UO.

But I mean, honestly...Most of us are playing a game called Ultima Online that is a different sort of breed than the games you want to compare it to. When most of us say "PvP" we mean it in that context.

If those other experiences are what you're looking for then other options exist, but to try and bring that to UO ultimately is fitting a square peg in a round hole.

I realize I can't shake your preferences or Uvatha's or whomever's. You're not my audience. rather the audience is anyone who would see your list and not think to question it and dig deeper. I didn't even dig all-that-deep (frankly I'd rather spend more of my free time playing UO but I do some debunking as a public service), but again I'm up against a list.

PvP = Player v Player.
There are many different scenarios this can occur in.
The Era, or the Environment are not a differential to whether something is PvP or not, it is just the storyline backdrop for the PvP to be realistically placed in.
We are not fitting a round hole in a square peg - this is what UO used to be, this is what UO is in essence!
If it dying a slow death, it is because the player-base have bailed out on the game itself, and won't acknowledge its roots.

All of those games are directly comparable, we are going to have to completely disagree.
Fortnite, and many of these games, have a huge survival element in them. Exactly the whole premise of the Feluccan environment.
If I play any of these games, I get the same Player versus Player emotions I used to get from UO - possibly not as good tbh, UO was better, that's why we cry so much - some of the games listed, do not have the all round content. My other option of course would be to leave UO and go and play one of these, like so many have done.
Somehow you guys are constructing concepts that PvP is not PvP.

Edit - It is no wonder we cannot confirm that PvP style games are the most popular, when you refuse to accept what PvP means, and are willing to completely bend the definition.
This is what has made it so impossible to talk logic to the anti PvP zealots round here.
They will argue black is white, until they are blue in the face.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
What a fantastic opportunity to "PVP" right? With such huge need for PS for pets, the nonPVP players will come by the drones to Champ spawns right? So Faaantastic! Lets leave PVP-dependent PS content the same as it was before the revamp! It will just bring more "PVP" in the game. Alternative is they will nuke their banked gold to PVP's to get their PS at the numbers they need? *sarcasm*
So please therefore whatever definitions you have for PVP, "PVP", PK, RK, the desirability and survivability of full PVP other games and gamestyles -- Keep arguing about it.
The reality of all this is that the pet revamp warped the PvP/Non PVP issues much more.
I think we all need to face it : Nothing will change, PS drops will not change in location and frequency, and there will never be another option for skill cap stats for pets.
And the poorly thought mixing/demands requiring non-pvp players to depend on pvp content will not change. Pet revamp PS as is now is a major mistake, and will stay as it is. Reason: Simple. The way things are is too sweet for the "PVP" klan -- more sheeps to fleece/butcher. Another reason is a decrepid Dev team that is unable to do things correctly and fix things as they are. First of all the foresight and imaginatiion got duller, as the ability to solve coding problems, esp. in an old non-commented spaghetti code software program that has not been updated for decades.
The other parts of this post are valiant efforts on both camps to prove their points and opinions. The reality if that MANY players do not wish to PVP in this game, and will not do so regardless of the enticements. Whatever is done in other "PVP" games is not too relevant here. EVE, ERA, etc.
We are losing players already, not sure how fast, but initially after revamp we had an increase in subs, some EJ etc. But now there is a perceptible dropout. And I doubt that its due to summer, school etc.
THAT is the main point I am trying to make. Unless these mistakes are corrected somehow, more accounts will be lost. There will be no more sheep..lol. Only a few PVPers all 20 in the game trying to PK each other..Ohh what fun they will have..Just trying to predict the inevitable.
I suspect the next few publishes better have some answers to these questions/issues, or we may see more dropouts.

Last edited:

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a fantastic opportunity to "PVP" right? With such huge need for PS for pets, the nonPVP players will come by the drones to Champ spawns right? So Faaantastic! Lets leave PVP-dependent PS content the same as it was before the revamp! It will just bring more "PVP" in the game. Alternative is they will nuke their banked gold to PVP's to get their PS at the numbers they need? *sarcasm*
So please therefore whatever definitions you have for PVP, "PVP", PK, RK, the desirability and survivability of full PVP other games and gamestyles -- Keep arguing about it.
The reality of all this is that the pet revamp warped the PvP/Non PVP issues much more.
I think we all need to face it : Nothing will change, PS drops will not change in location and frequency, and there will never be another option for skill cap stats for pets.
And the poorly thought mixing/demands requiring non-pvp players to depend on pvp content will not change. Pet revamp PS as is now is a major mistake, and will stay as it is. Reason: Simple. The way things are is too sweet for the "PVP" klan -- more sheeps to fleece/butcher. Another reason is a decrepid Dev team that is unable to do things correctly and fix things as they are. First of all the foresight and imaginatiion got duller, as the ability to solve coding problems, esp. in an old non-commented spaghetti code software program that has not been updated for decades.
The other parts of this post are valiant efforts on both camps to prove their points and opinions. The reality if that MANY players do not wish to PVP in this game, and will not do so regardless of the enticements. Whatever is done in other "PVP" games is not too relevant here. EVE, ERA, etc.
We are losing players already, not sure how fast, but initially after revamp we had an increase in subs, some EJ etc. But now there is a perceptible dropout. And I doubt that its due to summer, school etc.
THAT is the main point I am trying to make. Unless these mistakes are corrected somehow, more accounts will be lost. There will be no more sheep..lol. Only a few PVPers all 20 in the game trying to PK each other..Ohh what fun they will have..Just trying to predict the inevitable.
I suspect the next few publishes better have some answers to these questions/issues, or we may see more dropouts.

Ok, I do get your frustration, and I do get some of your points, but in essence, I disagree with you on a fair few, I think you are grabbing at the wrong straws.
  1. PvPers don't really want to fleece you, we don't really care about you or your playstyle - we just don't want ours decimated by yours.
  2. It was always possible in a survivalist environment, to avoid PvP [Look at the real world, for one example]. Again, doing your thing, and surviving, adds an element of excitement, and fulfilment to the whole outcome.
  3. The PvP element however, adds an element that does not exist in Trammel, it adds the ability for player justice - scripters, multi-clienters, multi-boxers can be dealt with, without the need for 3rd party policing by external non appearing GM's when you need them. This stops the economy getting screwed. These Trammel playstyles have caused no end of damage to the game, and no end of frustration, and feelings of unfairness, leading to the largest numbers of player quitters. More so, than even PK's - way more. The unfairness of the game balance and economy.
  4. Sure - Pets have created a Powerscroll demand, this is not unlike many other styles of demand that have come and gone. There is always a new flavour skillset. I get the frustration, but the easy answer is to join forces with the Feluccans, and farm them, get off your arse and do something about it, the whole issue could be solved within a month. Again, you don't have to PvP, just make friends with some players, team up, go do something.
  5. Powerscrolls cannot really go to Trammel, the whole game just gets too easy, and it further destroys another playstyle. So many playstyles have already been destroyed, and so has the economy, by making the game too easy, and just focussing the game around Tamers or Sampires. I'd even argue more content has to go to Felucca, not the other way around, to fix this.
  6. I cannot agree with you that the Pet Publish was a failure - I think it has been a phenominal success. Yes I agree it has further highlighted issues that have always been there, and have always needed fixing.
  7. I agree players of all styles are leaving, and like you, I'd like to see this change, maybe my solutions seem more extreme than yours, maybe you don't see much of the picture from where you play. I play the entire game, not just half of it.
  8. Stop blaming the PvPers, and see the bigger issues, and problems, that were always here, even before the Pet Publish.

Last edited:

Giles

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember waiting 3 years to finally get an ethereal stead.
3 YEARS

Today there is no wait time

Nothing lasts forever

120 powerscrolls should have started dropping in Tram years ago

One of the biggest imbalances in the game that is not fair to the majority of the player base

Sad to see the developers to favor the minority for so long

The game was meant to evolve

Just my 2 cents

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While as a tamer, I think the issue of pet scrolls is dramatically overblown, as the difference between 110 scrolls and 120 scrolls on all but a few pet skills is almost invisible, I think they should just make pet only scrolls that drop in the spawn rather than the boss. Heck, make them uncursed if you want. Should help cut back demand a bit.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't get why tram needs 20 power scrolls.

Tram has pretty much has everything you needs to farm and sell high end items to gain money to buy said power scrolls.

Christ most of the high end armour and weapons come from tram and sold to pvpers.

Only thing stoping you from getting power scrolls in fel is paranoia or laziness.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 powerscrolls should have started dropping in Tram years ago

One of the biggest imbalances in the game that is not fair to the majority of the player base

Sad to see the developers to favor the minority for so long
No, they shouldn't have. Since its inception, Tram ruleset gets a VAST majority of the content in this game. Fel has gotten maybe 1% of the content updates since 2002. It's *checks calendar* almost September in 2018. 16 years.

Not fair to the majority of the player base? Really? This "Argument" holds no water anymore...if, in fact, it ever did. A decade ago when spawns were heavily policed by various pvp guilds, you'd possibly have a point. But that's no longer the case. Players are perfectly capable of getting their own scrolls. They just choose not to. It's the same in any game: If you CHOOSE not to participate in part of game's content, why are you *****ing about it? I play FF14 as well, and while I don't visit the game's official forums (I've heard stories that they tend to be ban happy over even slight criticism), not ONE player I've run into in-game, or while hanging out in Twitch streams of the game, has complained about the endgame Savage raiding (which has the best gear available) being too hard, even if they don't do it. Do you want to know the reason(s) why? 1) It's entirely optional, much like PS's are in UO (you literally need ZERO scrolls to engage in pvm content, although there are still some helpful ones, like 120 weapon skill scrolls); people can get through the rest of the game's content in gear with lower item levels. 2) While the game is, naturally, a Final Fantasy (and thus focused more on pve & story), players aren't trying to force their playstyle (crafting, pvp, endgame raiding) on others.

The developers are favoring the minority playerbase (the pvp'ers) in UO? For my answer to that, please see the attached screenshot/meme.

Attachments

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
As I capably have demonstrated, you are using the term PvP so expansively that it could incorporate off-line sports, such as Baseball, Football, and Soccer. Most, however, would not consider those appropriate comparisons to UO. Further I capably have demonstrated that some of your comparisons were not appropriate and that in some cases your inclusion of those comparisons was misleading as well as inappropriate.

Further, I capably have demonstrated, using appropriate comparisons and references to UO's past (most of which I have backed up with supporting links), that your view of that past is skewed, as is the vision of the future you would propose.

Against this you have made assertions.

*shrugs*

PvP = Player v Player.
There are many different scenarios this can occur in.
The Era, or the Environment are not a differential to whether something is PvP or not, it is just the storyline backdrop for the PvP to be realistically placed in.
We are not fitting a round hole in a square peg - this is what UO used to be, this is what UO is in essence!
If it dying a slow death, it is because the player-base have bailed out on the game itself, and won't acknowledge its roots.

All of those games are directly comparable, we are going to have to completely disagree.
Fortnite, and many of these games, have a huge survival element in them. Exactly the whole premise of the Feluccan environment.
If I play any of these games, I get the same Player versus Player emotions I used to get from UO - possibly not as good tbh, UO was better, that's why we cry so much - some of the games listed, do not have the all round content. My other option of course would be to leave UO and go and play one of these, like so many have done.
Somehow you guys are constructing concepts that PvP is not PvP.

Edit - It is no wonder we cannot confirm that PvP style games are the most popular, when you refuse to accept what PvP means, and are willing to completely bend the definition.
This is what has made it so impossible to talk logic to the anti PvP zealots round here.
They will argue black is white, until they are blue in the face.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
[You do know there are monsters in fel right?]

Never said they weren't.

[The rest of this paragraph is just "I don't like how some pvpers act."]

An inaccurate description of my argument.

The rest of your post, essentially, restates the main Fel arguments, which I already have dealt with elsewhere. Like many of your posts it is telling in ways in which you seem not to realize -- I'll point out one of them (the other way I already have pointed out elsewhere in this thread).

You essentially admit that the Fel content in the Trammel rules facets would cause the Fel rules facets not to be used, at all. If you were right, then this confirms something most players have long-known, which is that Fel simply can't survive on its own merits and requires supports to survive.

Interestingly, my proposal requires that you not be right. It rather assumes that most Fel players are sincere that they just want reasons to fight. If that's sincere on their parts, then it seems likely they would relish the chance to fight over content they currently don't have in Fel, and would favor this over maintaining exclusivity over the currently Fel-exclusive content -- only some of which you all use consistently anyway.

So which is it....If the Fel arguments are sincere then my proposal makes you all lose nothing. On the other hand if you persist in arguing that being given everything really means that somehow you're losing something, then you're being revealing in a way you may not have intended to be.

You do know there are monsters in fel right? Not only that but the monsters in fel are more dangerous because you have to use stamina to push past them. The rest of this paragraph is just "I don't like how some pvpers act." Me either, but I don't see why that's relevant to risk. PVP in fel is more risky, I don't think this is all that debatable. If someone can come in and attack you in one area and not in another, the latter is on average much safer.

Pvpers already have access to everything you have access to, and vice versa, pvpers may not love the idea of tram, but they go there to do what they need to do, and complain about it far less. I don't see how you don't get the fact that the competition over scrolls is predicated on necessity. If you can get them somewhere else the need to compete over scrolls is gone.

Right, worse options than the ones they already had, as I already explained, ones that no one wants, and no one would use. PLUS pvpers would no longer have the option to look for spawns to raid, because they would no longer be done in fel. The thing that makes spawns fun for people to pvp over is again, the fact that that's the only place you can get scrolls. That is the whole of the idea. The fight has unique value.

Well, considering that the majority of players play in tram, and all items of value outside of scrolls (and lich spawn items I guess) are native to tram, id imagine that's a given, yeah? Though if you think that scrolls would still mostly come from tram, I don't see how, even with like a 10% drop rate. Way more people, freedom to run spawns (or script in complete safety if you ascribe to that) all day and all night well that's gonna be a scroll farm. Seriously, baracoon would be run all day long. There would just be a billion people down there spamming and running the spawn like 10 times an hour... all day, every day.

As I've said multiple times, I don't pk, pvp, or anything of that nature. So I can't answer that question.

I try not to speak for others, I speak for myself, and on the things I've observed. This is certainly not an argument I see often. I do think the experience is much more dynamic and fun when pvp is open, and everything that people complain about like power creep, inflation, player interdependance, inflation and other economy woes are all much less pervasive. I think people really underaccount the damage that nonstop farming can do to every aspect of the game. Of course you have to find a balance, and I think pre tram UO lacked that balance. I think Siege lacks that balance too, but it's closer anyway.

Probably correct, and they should add in more things. Fel has literally one content addition in the last decade, being VvV which was really just replacing an older better liked factions system. Since tram started Fel has gotten only Factions, VvV, pub 16/champ spawns, and those two new spawns. That's it. Every other content addition as well as every EM even goes to Tram. Fel players are due some new content.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So many playstyles have already been destroyed, and so has the economy, by making the game too easy, and just focussing the game around Tamers or Sampires. I'd even argue more content has to go to Felucca, not the other way around, to fix this.
As a thief... I couldn't possibly agree with this more.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Add it all over Fel, would be fine. Problem with PS in Fel is them being in a few select spots, not hard to scout those for sheep.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Problem with PS in Fel is them being in a few select spots, not hard to scout those for sheep.

Ok, this sort of post bugs me to be honest.

It makes an assumption, and continues to keep making that assumption until everyone believes it.

How many spots are there?
I've listed 20 odd before, and they are not all in easy to reach places.

To test the factuality of what you just posted, please list all the spots, then do a full scout yourself, and come back to me with the time it took you please.
Then tell me if you fancy doing it again. And again, and again - at least 48 times a day, to have the coverage you guys all make out.

{I live in Felucca 100%, and I can go months without being pk'd if I want to, just playing my normal game. 99.9% of the time, If I actually want to be raided, I have to announce it}.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never said they weren't.
I'm aware you know there are monsters in fel, it was a facetious statement meant to highlight your poor argument. I argued that fel had more risk, your counter to that it did not have more risk, the risks were only different. The whole of your stated evidence of that claim was:
A monster can kill your character the same way a PC can.
This is a statement that seemingly ignores the fact that the same monsters are also in fel, are more dangerous in fel (because of pushthrough code) and that on top of the more dangerous pvm elements you can also potentially have another player trying to kill you, invariably this will also happen at the same time compounding the risk of the moment. Not that it matters, but I don't think you can argue that fel is not more dangerous.

So which is it....If the Fel arguments are sincere then my proposal makes you all lose nothing. On the other hand if you persist in arguing that being given everything really means that somehow you're losing something, then you're being revealing in a way you may not have intended to be.
I have to say this again, I don't care about "fel arguments" or what any other people argue, I don't know why you keep asking me to defend positions I haven't taken. I speak for myself, period.

As to the rest of it as I said before you aren't "giving" fel players anything other than worse access. The premise of your argument is the claim that you would be giving players access they don't already have. They already have access to those things. It's not two closed off systems its one collective playspace. What you would be doing is creating an exponentially less risky source of access to ONE commodity: Power scrolls. Fel based locations for tram activities would be inherently inferior sources of those rewards due to that already established fact that not only is fel more dangerous, you are also proposing that the rewards be less in fel. Why on earth would anyone ever do the harder thing, for the worse reward? Compare then proposed tram power scrolls to fel power scrolls. While they may come slower, they have the benefit of being easier to get.

For fel players their situation getting all tram content has not changed, their best source of tram items is still in tram. For tram players their situation getting all fel content (the one thing that fel has) has improved, they will now get their "fel" content in tram.
Now consider it from an experience perspective. Fighting over a resource is an experience that some players enjoy. In order to feel rewarded by winning said fight, the reward must be worth fighting over. Powerscrolls are worth fighting over? We can accept that right? Now why are the worth fighting over? Because they are powerful items? Yes, but that's not all. The other element is that you cannot get those items anywhere else. Scarcity is what really makes them valuable. Your proposal would, if not completely remove that scarcity, drastically decrease it, and in direct correlation lessen the value of pvping over these items.
While it's very possible that you don't care about any of that (that's up to the individual) you can realize that some people value that experience, and also recognize that that experience is only available in this one specific instance.

I care about these people's experience, even if I only participate in them indirectly (by sometimes being attacked), and the only argument I have seen to take this experience away is (what I frankly would consider pretty mild) inconvenience of other players. That's not a good enough reason. There are other ways to address this inconvenience, if it does indeed need to be addressed, but that's another topic.

As for "succeeding on it's own merits" what is the definition of "succeed"? Your definition of success seems to be (correct me if I'm wrong) popularity of a thing. I don't agree with that because I think we all accept that value can be found outside the bounds of popular opinion. I mean if success is the only merit for value then I think you could argue that skills outside of tamer/sampire fail to succeed, and perhaps should be redesigned to aid tamers or sampires in some way.

I think one definition of "succeed" is to provide a unique experience. Power scrolls do that. I think that should be protected, even if you don't like it.

Last edited:

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
"Succeed" in any business context means "to make money," and usually that means people "purchasing" the "product."

In some artistic contexts there can be goals other than purchase -- some movies are made to win awards and get attention, not make money -- but that isn't really the case here. Especially given that unpleasant and inappropriate political analogies your side of the fence on occasion makes about mine. (And since no filmmaker will weep if his or her artistic joy suddenly makes money.)

And in this case people haven't wanted to "buy" Fel for years. The product is kept alive by artificial supports in the form of some of the only essential content in the game. That is not likely to change. Indeed I predict it never will.

Now I've made my arguments and supported them with documented facts, for which I've provided appropriate links to support. The best ultimately that you can do is to make assertions. The reason I don't engage you on some of your assertions is that, ultimately, you're just stating your preferences. That's your right. To pretend though that your preferences are arguments, or even worse facts, is something different entirely. (Some on these boards assert that there can be "opinion-based facts." I do not agree and find this to be a linguistic and logical impossibility.)

One thing I should address is the curiosity that you don't seem to understand what your side wins under my proposal (or, rather, you indicate that you don't): Your side loves to fight over things, you love to compete against the subjective obstacles of other players, wherein how good you are matters less than how much less worse you are than your opponent. Under my proposal you could do that over pretty much every item in the game, and you'd maintain primary access to power scrolls, just not exclusive access. On that, I suggest, it is long-past time to yield to the market. (There are many instances wherein market forces perhaps shouldn't be paramount but, come on now, how on Earth is this one of them?) By saying that my proposal gives you nothing you are, in effect, admitting that your side doesn't want to fight so much as it wants to take.

Nothing, of course, will change. This is an argument about nothing. I continue to post in order to do my part to ensure that facts, and analysis based on fact rather than mere preference, are not lost amidst the loud voices.

I'm aware you know there are monsters in fel, it was a facetious statement meant to highlight your poor argument. I argued that fel had more risk, your counter to that it did not have more risk, the risks were only different. The whole of your stated evidence of that claim was:

This is a statement that seemingly ignores the fact that the same monsters are also in fel, are more dangerous in fel (because of pushthrough code) and that on top of the more dangerous pvm elements you can also potentially have another player trying to kill you, invariably this will also happen at the same time compounding the risk of the moment. Not that it matters, but I don't think you can argue that fel is not more dangerous.

I have to say this again, I don't care about "fel arguments" or what any other people argue, I don't know why you keep asking me to defend positions I haven't taken. I speak for myself, period.

As to the rest of it as I said before you aren't "giving" fel players anything other than worse access. The premise of your argument is the claim that you would be giving players access they don't already have. They already have access to those things. It's not two closed off systems its one collective playspace. What you would be doing is creating an exponentially less risky source of access to ONE commodity: Power scrolls. Fel based locations for tram activities would be inherently inferior sources of those rewards due to that already established fact that not only is fel more dangerous, you are also proposing that the rewards be less in fel. Why on earth would anyone ever do the harder thing, for the worse reward? Compare then proposed tram power scrolls to fel power scrolls. While they may come slower, they have the benefit of being easier to get.

For fel players their situation getting all tram content has not changed, their best source of tram items is still in tram. For tram players their situation getting all fel content (the one thing that fel has) has improved, they will now get their "fel" content in tram.
Now consider it from an experience perspective. Fighting over a resource is an experience that some players enjoy. In order to feel rewarded by winning said fight, the reward must be worth fighting over. Powerscrolls are worth fighting over? We can accept that right? Now why are the worth fighting over? Because they are powerful items? Yes, but that's not all. The other element is that you cannot get those items anywhere else. Scarcity is what really makes them valuable. Your proposal would, if not completely remove that scarcity, drastically decrease it, and in direct correlation lessen the value of pvping over these items.
While it's very possible that you don't care about any of that (that's up to the individual) you can realize that some people value that experience, and also recognize that that experience is only available in this one specific instance.

I care about these people's experience, even if I only participate in them indirectly (by sometimes being attacked), and the only argument I have seen to take this experience away is (what I frankly would consider pretty mild) inconvenience of other players. That's not a good enough reason. There are other ways to address this inconvenience, if it does indeed need to be addressed, but that's another topic.

As for "succeeding on it's own merits" what is the definition of "succeed"? Your definition of success seems to be (correct me if I'm wrong) popularity of a thing. I don't agree with that because I think we all accept that value can be found outside the bounds of popular opinion. I mean if success is the only merit for value then I think you could argue that skills outside of tamer/sampire fail to succeed, and perhaps should be redesigned to aid tamers or sampires in some way.

I think one definition of "succeed" is to provide a unique experience. Power scrolls do that. I think that should be protected, even if you don't like it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And in this case people haven't wanted to "buy" Fel for years. The product is kept alive by artificial supports in the form of some of the only essential content in the game. That is not likely to change. Indeed I predict it never will.
Actually there are people who want to "buy" fel. The people who play there. The people you admit play there. It's not kept alive by anything other than the fact that some portion of the population likes to pvp, simple as that. If you took away scrolls fel would still be a thing, it would just lose it's main attraction, I don't think that's fair.

Now I've made my arguments and supported them with documented facts, for which I've provided appropriate links to support. The best ultimately that you can do is to make assertions. The reason I don't engage you on some of your assertions is that, ultimately, you're just stating your preferences. That's your right. To pretend though that your preferences are arguments, or even worse facts, is something different entirely. (Some on these boards assert that there can be "opinion-based facts." I do not agree and find this to be a linguistic and logical impossibility.)
The only "documented facts" you have presented are that mmos with no open pvp are more successful, never something I refuted, something I in fact pointed out (though I don't think it's a simple black and white issue) to be generally true in a post with another poster in this thread, so you are barking up the wrong tree. My argument is that if UO is going to be a game with some for of open pvp it needs to be protected and supported, not that it makes for a more successful game.

I think the only claim I made that meant to assert to be anything by my opinion was that there is more risk in tram than there is in fel. I don't see how this is controversial at all, it's the entire crux of the argument, something i would have assumed everyone involved in the discussion would have a tacit acceptance of, I guess not. Anything else I said, was just my opinion, and If I came across somehow as stating something as fact other than opinion maybe that's my bad, but I really don't think I did. I mean, I even went out of my way to say that I only speak for myself like 3 times, and despite that...

One thing I should address is the curiosity that you don't seem to understand what your side wins under my proposal (or, rather, you indicate that you don't): Your side loves to fight over things, you love to compete against the subjective obstacles of other players, wherein how good you are matters less than how much less worse you are than your opponent. Under my proposal you could do that over pretty much every item in the game, and you'd maintain primary access to power scrolls, just not exclusive access. On that, I suggest, it is long-past time to yield to the market. (There are many instances wherein market forces perhaps shouldn't be paramount but, come on now, how on Earth is this one of them?) By saying that my proposal gives you nothing you are, in effect, admitting that your side doesn't want to fight so much as it wants to take.
... you ignored me every time I said it and continued to lump me in with the supposed views of group of people. I mean, I have said multiple times in this thread that I am not a pvper, I am just not in support doing more damage to pvpers than has already been done, and on those grounds I think your proposal is a bad idea. I feel like you aren't even reading anything I type, just going on the assumptions you have of me.

I presented an argument as to how I think your proposed idea would effect the respective playgroups multiple times, and you've just ignored it each time only to go on asserting that fel is really coming out the winner, adding in clear assumptions that if I disagree then I must be seen as suspect, just be a pk who doesn't want to lose victims. I'd type it all out again, or try again to rephrase it in a more clear or concise manner, but I don't think it would have much impact at this point.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, you know what, I'll change my approach here. Lets actually go with your idea, but lets alter it.

What you were suggesting is that the "non native" drops would come at a lower rate yeah? Lets just assume an imaginary rate of 80% less. Instead of your idea working that way what if it worked this way: All the access would be available in both facets, but the fel side, taking into account the more difficult nature of dealing with pkers would have a universally higher relative drop rate.

So say if tangle dropped 1 in 100 in tram it would drop 1 in 20 in fel. On the other side you get 80% lower than current scroll/primer yield. This would maintain the value of the fight, while still giving all players access to all items in their respective play styles in a way that accurately rewards taking risks.

Win/win right?

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Actually, you know what, I'll change my approach here. Lets actually go with your idea, but lets alter it.

What you were suggesting is that the "non native" drops would come at a lower rate yeah? Lets just assume an imaginary rate of 80% less. Instead of your idea working that way what if it worked this way: All the access would be available in both facets, but the fel side, taking into account the more difficult nature of dealing with pkers would have a universally higher relative drop rate.

So say if tangle dropped 1 in 100 in tram it would drop 1 in 20 in fel. On the other side you get 80% lower than current scroll/primer yield. This would maintain the value of the fight, while still giving all players access to all items in their respective play styles in a way that accurately rewards taking risks.

Win/win right?
I was thinking about something like that. Crazy low tram drop rate so it makes sense to 90% of people would rather risk being pked. The people who can't stand fel can farm endlessly for what they want. I also think it would encourage people who don't know each other to spawn together, knowing that they won't just get pked at the end. I just worry about people farming tram endlessly until scrolls are worthless. Even with low drop rate the 10s and 15s add up. Maybe limit tram spawns to 1 scroll per person? It would have to be such a low drop rate that the VAST majority would still prefer fel, but people that are insane enough to do tram spawns for a 5% chance at a 120 would still be happy to have the option.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking about something like that. Crazy low tram drop rate so it makes sense to 90% of people would rather risk being pked. The people who can't stand fel can farm endlessly for what they want. I also think it would encourage people who don't know each other to spawn together, knowing that they won't just get pked at the end. I just worry about people farming tram endlessly until scrolls are worthless. Even with low drop rate the 10s and 15s add up. Maybe limit tram spawns to 1 scroll per person? It would have to be such a low drop rate that the VAST majority would still prefer fel, but people that are insane enough to do tram spawns for a 5% chance at a 120 would still be happy to have the option.
Eh, I mean if scrolls in in in tram they are going to get farmed into the ground obviously, and I think that in any scenario the average fel averse tram player would find adequate they would lost a ton of value pretty fast. If you let that cat out of the bag there's really no getting it back in. Generally the alteration of his idea is simply to allow pvpers to gear more easily, as well as absorb the economic value lost by the inevitable scroll inflation.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Looks like we're close to an agreement here! Someone contact the devs. Oh... Wait... It's still never going to happen.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They could just add pet scrolls to tier 5 critters or better in fel (balrons, AW's, ect) and call it a day. Unfortunatly that will not happen either.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like we're close to an agreement here! Someone contact the devs. Oh... Wait... It's still never going to happen.
Well, I certainly can't and shouldn't speak for people who play regular shards, as it wouldn't affect me, and I also don't think they should be in tram. I'm just saying if the idea is that they must be in tram (I don't think they must) you really have to throw fel players a bone to make up for it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They could just add pet scrolls to tier 5 critters or better in fel (balrons, AW's, ect) and call it a day. Unfortunatly that will not happen either.
Yeah, I actually suggested that they just drop from spawn at champ spawns, so like in cases you might get a 105, or a pink, you could also get a pet scroll. You wouldn't have to stick around and kill something hard even, youd just be in a contested zone.

But yeah, that idea works too. I think there's a solution to make scrolls for pets more available without taking scrolls out of fel.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

Win/win right?
Well let's see here.....

Your proposal can be read in two ways.

One, that the current drop rates would be decreased. I note that my proposal didn't decrease the drop rate in Fel, for anything. Further I specifically wanted the majority (I'll specify: the vast majority) of the items to drop in the rules set they were native to. I was rather clear on that. In other words if you want a 120 scroll you still are way more likely to be able to get it from Felucca, but you'd have an alternative. And if you wanted Jumu's Hide you would be more likely to get it from Eodon but you wouldn't have to. Again, I was very clear on that.

Two, that the drop rates would be the same but increased in Fel. In that event, tour proposal bears a striking similarity to the double resources concept, which I've read some other posters in the past suggest has been applied to loot drop intensity too (not sure if that's true or not). Either way, that has not brought people into Fel, merely rewards those who already choose to play there. My proposal does that too! Except that it doesn't take anything away from anyone else. Your proposal does.

Once again your intent shows, either way. Either that or the post was made insincerely. In which case I am saddened by any troll attempt but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

[[Actually there are people who want to "buy" fel. The people who play there. The people you admit play there. It's not kept alive by anything other than the fact that some portion of the population likes to pvp, simple as that. If you took away scrolls fel would still be a thing, it would just lose it's main attraction, I don't think that's fair.]]

At no point did I say literally no one was in Felucca (nice try though), just that it wasn't enough to sustain a business. And I have not suggested taking scrolls away form Fel, again I've been very clear on that.

[[The only "documented facts" you have presented are that mmos with no open pvp are more successful,]]

Incorrect -- I've also documented things about the past of UO that suggest a similar conclusion. The two should be seen in tandem so that way we keep the focus primarily on UO. If I were to cite other games and not connect them to UO, as it seems you were suggesting I was, that leaves me open to consideration of the applicability of my examples to a far greater degree.

Ideas have consequences and implications. While it's not useful in every case to imagine an idea played out a few steps....It can be. And in this case, given the game's history, it seems both necessary and proper to offer that perspective. Given the history of PKing in this game the "give an inch and they take a mile" principle, so often a mere distraction in other contexts, is quite fair to consider.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once again your intent shows, either way. Either that or the post was made insincerely. In which case I am saddened by any troll attempt but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
My only intent was to try to work with the idea you presented so that both parties might be better satisfied, It was merely spitballing. I was hoping it would open up a different avenue of discussion since we seemed to just be going around in circles, I didn't really expect it to, but hey. I have in no way tried to troll you, in fact I've been trying my best not to say anything that might be taken as an insult, and I even defended you from another poster, because I was just trying to have a conversation about something I think is an important aspect of the game. I may have gotten a bit too heated (I can't judge that) but that was primarily because you kept ignoring things I said, and kept trying to couch what I was saying inside of someone else's perspective. My bad If so.

I did my best to explain my feelings, and when that failed I said to myself: "Ok maybe there is some middle ground to find here" and to that you respond wondering if I'm a troll. I mean other posters were in favor of my attempts to be pragmatic about it. Clearly you have your idea, are extremely sure the outcomes and are unwilling to try and find some middle ground, fair enough! Clearly this isn't going anywhere fun or productive, and I was probably wrong to try and continue it.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Imagine doing a champ spawn in tram. You work your way through the spawn. The champ pops up. Suddenly, 20 stealth mages pop up and cast flamestrike on the champ and go back into hiding. Now you have to split the scrolls with the 20 stealthers and you can't do anything about it.

This would be the reality of scrolls in tram. Let's just be thankful that this is never going to happen. Just put on your big boy panties and get the scrolls in fel, it's not that hard. Just like anything else in this game, real life, or a vending machine... Sometimes, you don't get anything.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At no point did I say literally no one was in Felucca (nice try though), just that it wasn't enough to sustain a business. And I have not suggested taking scrolls away form Fel, again I've been very clear on that.
It's not enough to "sustain a business" (in this case, UO) because of the lack of content it's given. While it's an apples to oranges comparison, games that are purely pvp (Fortnite, pubg, League, etc. Or big name tournaments like Evo for fighting games for Street Fighter) are still massively popular. Sure, the audience is different - I would guess that the audience for those games are teens and 20/30-somethings, for the most part. I'm in my early 30's (32); how much of UO's current playerbase is older (i.e. 50's, 60's) than that? Older players aren't as likely to be interested in pvp, at least not to the extent of a younger generation. While they may pvp occasionally, the older you are, the less likely it is that you think and react as quickly as someone who's several years younger than you.

If UO actually had some new content that pvp'ers want to participate in, NONE of us would complain. In fact, we'd be happy to have it. But the lack of pvp-oriented content has no doubt been one of the factors that caused pvp'ers to leave the game. If there's games with pvp that actually get updates to it, people will gravitate to those (or play freeshards in UO's case.) For those of you who play on them, how many people do you run into that played "Real" UO at one point?

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've been advocating for more organized and objective based pvp in UO for years. I play WoW on and off, and the battleground is a very successful model for pvp. Fight people, get stuff. Even pvmers on wow pvp for mounts and stuff like that. The old faction system was similar in ways to it, but I would love to see something in pvp that is organized.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been advocating for more organized and objective based pvp in UO for years. I play WoW on and off, and the battleground is a very successful model for pvp. Fight people, get stuff. Even pvmers on wow pvp for mounts and stuff like that. The old faction system was similar in ways to it, but I would love to see something in pvp that is organized.
VvV needs a lot more content, but essentially that's what it's for. A nice Battle Royal system anyone could join where you don't lose any stuff would be cool too.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
VvV needs a lot more content, but essentially that's what it's for. A nice Battle Royal system anyone could join where you don't lose any stuff would be cool too.
It needs better rewards for actually doing the vvv battles.