• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Castle customizing

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The castle customizing is nice on test but here are my issues.

The amont of time is to short. Anyone that has done a 18x18 knows that it can take months to get it right along with the dacor. You place a item the go back and move it around. That takes time.

Just put it in game and be done with it.
We will have cubes no mater. Have seen castles that are all outside walls. So that does not mater.

The severs cant take the load. I seen what people have done with rubble and the stone walls on a castle.

We will just go from one kind to haveing two. They wont stand out more then before.

They should just take out custems homes then and just have a set deign on all homes go back to before AOS. I dont see a point in haveing one or two deigns if there no way to make it your own.

This post was made when very tired and with 2 kids and a wife naging me the hole time so dont knowbidbit makes sense.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it wont save custom made stairs from carpenter either....so making a L - shape stair wont show up... :-(

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is not about me winning anymore. It is all about HOPING that the castles and keeps that win are not just decorative exteriors and unusable interiors.
I wanted to trade my castle and keep for some new homes I can use.
Please, please let us have plots on our home shards.
Go on with contest but let us have plots after it is done. Please.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The severs cant take the load.
I don'[t get the worry about overloading servers. We have nowhere near the players we used to have, and technology has come a long way since then. How can server space and loading even be an issue nowdays with a game? We aren't storing and computing NASA Mars shots, you know. We aren't on dialup anymore either, most have at least 100 download speed with fair upspeeds. I just refuse to buy into the old "server can't handle it" routine.

Syncros

Adventurer
UO without custom houses? No one would play that server.

The Devs just need to redo the tool so the client/game can handle it. As it should be redone since its a pain to use anyways. Like a bigger window that shows more of the tiles you can use would be great.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don'[t get the worry about overloading servers. We have nowhere near the players we used to have, and technology has come a long way since then. How can server space and loading even be an issue nowdays with a game? We aren't storing and computing NASA Mars shots, you know. We aren't on dialup anymore either, most have at least 100 download speed with fair upspeeds. I just refuse to buy into the old "server can't handle it" routine.
How do you know that the servers are reasonably current? They could be running UO on a bunch of networked Pentium 200s for all we know.

In general I do agree with you though.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Isn't everything being stored in the cloud? What do UO Servers do besides letting us log in.
Whenever I see the word "cloud", I always replace it with "someone else's computer." The term "cloud" is simply a marketing buzzword made to make people think that there is some magic, infinitely fast, sky computer that everyone can use.

The truth is, only EA and BS know what kind of servers are used to run UO. They are most likely virtual machines because the original 1997 servers didn't have to be that powerful, so I would assume that the cloud machines that run it today are similar in specification. The benefit to using these cloud machines is that there is no longer a risk of physical machine failure as the virtual machine would just migrate to a new physical machine in the event of hardware failure. Bottom line for us is that the servers, in theory, do not go down as often. For the dev team it means that they never have to think about physical server issues and increasing physical resources would be incredibly easy, though not necessarily cheap.

All that being said, bad code is bad code. All the physical resources in the world won't really help that. The server-side code as it pertains to performance seems like it is impossible to fix without totally rewriting. I base this assumption on the fact that server lines still exist and they really should not be required with modern server technology. The open source free shard server software does not have server lines as far as I know. The removal of server lines and making it so that one physical server can run a whole shard would have saved the devs money when they migrated to the cloud, yet it wasn't done. The reasons, I am certain, lie within a broken mess of code. Good, object-oriented, code would make being able to do this trivial as the method used to cross server lines would be self-contained and modifying it would not have an effect on other parts of the code base.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Whenever I see the word "cloud", I always replace it with "someone else's computer." The term "cloud" is simply a marketing buzzword made to make people think that there is some magic, infinitely fast, sky computer that everyone can use.

The truth is, only EA and BS know what kind of servers are used to run UO. They are most likely virtual machines because the original 1997 servers didn't have to be that powerful, so I would assume that the cloud machines that run it today are similar in specification. The benefit to using these cloud machines is that there is no longer a risk of physical machine failure as the virtual machine would just migrate to a new physical machine in the event of hardware failure. Bottom line for us is that the servers, in theory, do not go down as often. For the dev team it means that they never have to think about physical server issues and increasing physical resources would be incredibly easy, though not necessarily cheap.

All that being said, bad code is bad code. All the physical resources in the world won't really help that. The server-side code as it pertains to performance seems like it is impossible to fix without totally rewriting. I base this assumption on the fact that server lines still exist and they really should not be required with modern server technology. The open source free shard server software does not have server lines as far as I know. The removal of server lines and making it so that one physical server can run a whole shard would have saved the devs money when they migrated to the cloud, yet it wasn't done. The reasons, I am certain, lie within a broken mess of code. Good, object-oriented, code would make being able to do this trivial as the method used to cross server lines would be self-contained and modifying it would not have an effect on other parts of the code base.
Based on conversations with some of the 2nd and later generation devs, personally and from sources like other Stratics staff and the new book, one of the issues is that the earliest programmers still had the "non-internet game life cycle" in their head (not to mention "we have to keep this client small enough to fit on a CD", and that typical HDD of the era were just then passing into the 1-4 GB era, with many machines still shipping with sub-GB drives - making server software size equally worried about leaving free HD space), and thinking that UO2 or a competitor would come along by 2000, used VERY LITTLE commenting in the code, and almost no paper documentation.

The second generation coding team that came in after the 2000 departure of most of the original staff, often had issues trying to figure out where stuff was, and what any given part of the code did - and even they didn't comment and document as much as they should have, because UO2/UXO/etc. was in the works then (and those concepts lingered almost to the launch of SE). AoS and SE were where the game was finally being documented the way it should have been from the outset. This has continued to haunt UO 21 years later. As was noted in 2007 or 2008, "parentheses are important" (the long-standing Smith LBOD bug - which was hard to spot, and made harder from the lack of commenting in the code to tell later programmers what each section of the BOD code was for)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep and there was that infamous move from Austin to Redwood was it? ... that they "lost" a ton of stuff as it was thought to be "junk" and thrown away or left behind in the move... so there is that as well.

Anyway, there is a lot that is just a mess... Which is why they say they can't do much with the CC... they really can't that code is very old and undocumented. The EC is much newer and I'm sure better documented.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A few years ago I was fired from a job for this very reason. I was assigned a legacy program to work on. No comments, no documentation, the true definition of spaghetti code. I worked on it for 2 years every day and at the very end of it, I still couldn't tell you what half of it did. I was fired because my attitude was admittedly poor from working on code that the owner wrote while still in college, also the owner did not like how many times I would make it very clear how bad the code was.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why can't we turn existing castles & keeps that have no trees or blocking rocks in the grass areas to plots on production shards? Some times it crashed on test yet all castles or most seem to have been built? Are you saying it will crash production shards or just the player building? My home shard is barely alive, This might help bring a few more players back. Maybe. It will sure keep me around longer.

Understand that I mean build our own designs on production shards NOT just pick from whatever got the most votes.

Last edited:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A few years ago I was fired from a job for this very reason. I was assigned a legacy program to work on. No comments, no documentation, the true definition of spaghetti code. I worked on it for 2 years every day and at the very end of it, I still couldn't tell you what half of it did. I was fired because my attitude was admittedly poor from working on code that the owner wrote while still in college, also the owner did not like how many times I would make it very clear how bad the code was.
:D I know the feeling. When I was taught coding (1972-1973) it was emphasized to have comments either in a block at the beginning or end of the source - or preferred was in-line. Apparently your boss never got that memo. Years later when I had a nuke plant to support, I had to restructure and comment spaghetti code that 2 prior contractors had generated. Luckily it was that ancient language of COBOL and was easy enough to debug, streamline and document.

I've said it before ... I'll gladly sign an NDA and try to work thru any source for the CC if EA would like it. I have knowledge of BASIC, FORTRAN (all the way back to FORTRAN 4), COBOL, C, C++, C#, some Assembler, RPG II/III, Pascal and more. All they gotta do is ask for my CV. Forty years of doing code and I can still handle it.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
What is the point of stuffing the ballot box though? There’s no prize to win. Vote for what you like and tell the guild narcissist you voted for them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it is like the Governor ballot stone it is clearly visible who is ahead. They will know. And if any of you want plots to build on home shards the design U want I would speak up.

The prize is the 6 winning designs being added to the house tool.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Where have you been UO is renting space on the "Cloud" and who cares about illegal free servers. Do a trace to your shard, oh no I am in the "cloud" and then I go to a server that uses the data stored in the "cloud", time for you to come into the real world.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
People who would pressure their guildies for something like that are really poopsocks who should be ashamed of themselves. They should make it narcissist proof if everyone from a big guild votes as a block the Devs should count all their votes as one, and ignore inflated votes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Where have you been UO is renting space on the "Cloud" and who cares about illegal free servers. Do a trace to your shard, oh no I am in the "cloud" and then I go to a server that uses the data stored in the "cloud", time for you to come into the real world.
You seem to have mistaken my post for some type of attack against you. You asked what the servers do besides letting us log in. You also mentioned data stored in the cloud. May I suggest that "in the real world" there are servers (also in the cloud) that process the requests made by the client so that your client can access the data. BS has a copy of the code that does this. Free servers also have completely different code that does this. My point is from what the devs and many other sources are saying, the copy that BS uses is poorly written. The code is the reason that things can't be done in a timely fashion and performance is limited. The "cloud" has nothing to do with it.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OT

I’m moving to East Tennessee next spring/summer and all my accounts are on Pac, I’m not transferring to a new server way to many items.

Is it possible to get a good connection in Tennessee on the Pacific shard some how.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If it is like the Governor ballot stone it is clearly visible who is ahead. They will know. And if any of you want plots to build on home shards the design U want I would speak up.

While most of us sane people are acutely aware of this... the problem is there is always those individuals that no matter how many times they are told something they still believe they are going to get some magic prize... just like being Governor... Ooo you get a title and get to sit at a meeting once a month.... whoopeee!!!! They still think that we get something more "special" than that. Outside of picking the Trade Deal... which 99% of Governors will tell you that if you want some particular Deal and it's not offered anywhere speak up we'd be more than happy to provide it for you there is no need for you to go and run for Governor and not attend the meetings and all if you aren't at all interested in the RP aspect of the game... it's that simple...

But tell someone there is going to be a contest for castle design and that only 3 choices are going to win... they are probably going to think that they are going to be getting some specially placed castle which is NOT the case...

I certainly hope people think long and hard about these choices and really pick what's best for everyone. I know I tried very hard to make at least 1 Castle and Keep that anyone could use, add their own spin on... but was 100X more functional than the current castle/keep... I also kept with traditional stone on one of each of them so that people could use the current stuff we have available to modify them and it'd look good.

IMO I saw a bunch of really fancy designs... but they weren't terribly practical... I saw several that were ok... and I saw some really amazing designs... But yes I like others believe that it'll come down to sadly more of a popularity contest than practicality... and overall use. I just hope whatever we get is useable and better than what we currently have... Otherwise... I for one will be sticking with what I got.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Where are you getting 6 new designs from? Are you saying we get 6 new ones this pub and 6 new ones next pub and 6 new ones next pub, this is an ongoing contest.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
really pick what's best for everyone.

IMO I saw a bunch of really fancy designs... but they weren't terribly practical... I saw several that were ok... and I saw some really amazing designs... But yes I like others believe that it'll come down to sadly more of a popularity contest than practicality... and overall use. I just hope whatever we get is useable and better than what we currently have... Otherwise... I for one will be sticking with what I got.
What is best for you is not what's best for me. What people find is practical is highly subjective. Some people talkabout big open rooms, if i wanted that, i would have a custom stone borg cube. I hate those, they serve no purpose for me, and I've actually dismantled those on the houses that I have acquired with them. And people will still have access to that custom stone borg cube after this contest.

This is a chance for us to get something truly different, useful and nice looking.

But that is the problem with UO, everyone's needs are different, everyone's aesthetics. What you might find is practical for you, I might find useless for me.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What is best for you is not what's best for me. What people find is practical is highly subjective. Some people talkabout big open rooms, if i wanted that, i would have a custom stone borg cube. I hate those, they serve no purpose for me, and I've actually dismantled those on the houses that I have acquired with them. And people will still have access to that custom stone borg cube after this contest.

This is a chance for us to get something truly different, useful and nice looking.

But that is the problem with UO, everyone's needs are different, everyone's aesthetics. What you might find is practical for you, I might find useless for me.
That's not about needs, that's about likes, and building with anything other than the normal stone produces a fine building but no one will ever agree on how it should look... or what is or isn't practical. And no one will be able to change or add on to it without making it look... bad.

Practical is good access, functionality and ease of use. Something current castles lack.

And no one is going to agree on anything that's the problem. What may look good to you might not look good to anyone else.

Yes the Current Castle is a Borg Cube... But getting away from that makes IMO tons of wasted space. I've seen a lot of interesting designs but a lot of them that go away from the "cube" are impractical... just as difficult to get around in as the current castle... or are full of space that you can't walk on or use with Water and Lava tiles... which IMO is a wasted space. If I want water or Lava I'd put it there... with tiles. You can't get that space back if it's built into the design... you can't go back in and change it when you find it doesn't work.

How are those useful??? If you are limited by the design? If you can't add to it without it looking out of place or weird how is that useful?

Like I said I've seen some very pretty designs... but many of them are impractical or will not be able to be modified without the modifications looking very out of place. Some of them while they look neat are more of a pain to get where you want or need to go than the current design is.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That's not about needs, that's about likes, and building with anything other than the normal stone produces a fine building but no one will ever agree on how it should look... or what is or isn't practical. And no one will be able to change or add on to it without making it look... bad.

Practical is good access, functionality and ease of use. Something current castles lack.

And no one is going to agree on anything that's the problem. What may look good to you might not look good to anyone else.

Yes the Current Castle is a Borg Cube... But getting away from that makes IMO tons of wasted space. I've seen a lot of interesting designs but a lot of them that go away from the "cube" are impractical... just as difficult to get around in as the current castle... or are full of space that you can't walk on or use with Water and Lava tiles... which IMO is a wasted space. If I want water or Lava I'd put it there... with tiles. You can't get that space back if it's built into the design... you can't go back in and change it when you find it doesn't work.

How are those useful??? If you are limited by the design? If you can't add to it without it looking out of place or weird how is that useful?

Like I said I've seen some very pretty designs... but many of them are impractical or will not be able to be modified without the modifications looking very out of place. Some of them while they look neat are more of a pain to get where you want or need to go than the current design is.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahh well I build mine out of stone for the very reason that it can be modified by anyone with the existing granite able to be crafted in game. I also built all by making the outside look different and 'castlelike' while the inside spaces are wide open to allow the 'player' to add their own internal walls/doors as they like. All the roof spaces are bare. I dislike intensly the marble or other type buildings as to add walls etc with the current craftable stone means that you cannot match it later. A lot of designs seem to have lots of small rooms, corridors, stairs going all over the place and while they look 'neat' in terms of practicality they fail. Personally I like to get from the ground floor to the roof in a seamless and superquick run, I dislike having to go through multiple doors and in muliple directions to 'navigate' my way to the roof. I am not sure how the voting will go, I doubt if it comes to a popularity contest that I will stand any chance lol. My guild consists of me :).

Designs that are 'open' inside allow the user to modify to customise to their taste, you can cover 'floor' choices (ie grass/tile) with craftable stone or carpets, you can add your own rooms to make areas smaller or leave them open if you want larger spaces. You can add doors if you want to be able to secure certain areas etc. I didn't use teleport tiles as I prefer to get from ground to roof with stairs quickly. I have left nooks for people who want to add teleport tiles later (vet ones etc)

You cannot remove walls, doors, water tiles or lava tiles so if they are included in a design you are stuck with them. Suggest you bear that in mind when you make your decision.

Babydoll from siege has placed a tiny house just east of Yew gate, inside are some runebooks to various seige players designs, mine are viewable there, think she put MissE's castle & keep, or they could be marked 'THE SPIRES' as that is what i ended up calling mine. Haven't checked how many more have been added to the books but go check em out.

I think yes, vote for what you like, but try to imagine what is best for MOST players as well. Some places may be nifty and unique and 'different' but please consider when you vote how you would deco and move around in such a place. Is it practical or is it just as much a pain in design for navigation as the existing Keep/Castle with a lot of dead or unuseable spaces.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I still can not find out where you got those numbers from, care to provide a link.
I believe they came from the original post ages ago when they first came up with this idea... when they asked us for idea's etc...

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
. I dislike intensly the marble or other type buildings as to add walls etc with the current craftable stone means that you cannot match it later. .
Or maybe, just maybe, if a new design with another material is popular, they will introduced crafted wall segments to customize those. Think of how amazing that could be.

Spent 20 years looking at stone castles, we finally get a chance for something new.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
The rules for the contest,

"When the voting period begins, all active veteran accounts are eligible to vote. Visit the Britain Commons House Contest stone to view the list of entries, visit the plots, and cast your vote.
At the conclusion of the voting period, up to the top 3 vote getters will be added to the “Classic Houses” menu for placement in the next publish."

it says up to 3, but not 3 + 3 so it could be just 3 keeps or 3 castles or 2 castles and one keep. Or maybe they mean 3+3 noone knows except the devs. Or maybe they havent decided yet.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Let's face it, we all know that people will just vote for themselves with other accounts they own or for their friends or guild-mates, I don't think that many people will actually visit all the entries. On the other hand from what I've seen running around there are a lot of empty plots and private plots, so there might not be that many entries anyway. So the voting doesn't start on Europa until 9 pm tonight?

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Or maybe, just maybe, if a new design with another material is popular, they will introduced crafted wall segments to customize those. Think of how amazing that could be.

Spent 20 years looking at stone castles, we finally get a chance for something new.
Who knows but it took them forever to just put in stone, so I wouldn't be holding my breath. But you can use timber/stone combos so that it isn't totally stone. Some of the marble ones I have seen are a real blot on the landscape though. Especially the borg cube four level sqare marble types with absolutely nothing but 3 huge square walls and a roof and nothing else of interest lol. At least with the grey stone you don't get blinded by the glaring glarishness of the marble. It is just ugly not ugly and blinding :p

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We will have cubes no mater. Have seen castles that are all outside walls. So that does not mater.
I think the point of the contest is to pick an non cube entry as winner to avoid that very problem?

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think the point of the contest is to pick an non cube entry as winner to avoid that very problem?
well thats what they think.

the problem is, no matter what they select, people will use granite to make the final cube. same as people did with keeps and castles now...
why? thats easy, because people dont want out of the box stuff. even a nice non cubic design can be made to a cube with granite.

unfortunately it looks that the devs dont have this on the radar or if so they dont believe it.
i ran around TC quite a while now, in my opinion the amount of cubes/very cubic is as high or higher as stuff which is definately not a cube

the only way to make folks happy is letting them build. and while that it would be so easy to make a extra buck providing a tree cutting service... hell they even could sell castle place tools which work in malas/tokuno/ilsh etc.
people while shower them in dollar bills for nearly zero invest dev side.

the contest will be won by the persons who get the most likes. which mean in the end only a hand full of people would be really happy and thrilled, all others will be frustrated between a liitle to **** it...

if they really only wanted to give people alternatives why not simply letting them choose from the metal/granite colors, or if it should be a bit more: remove the inner building from a castle entirely and let people use granite on the interior space.
or put a floor into the keeps unreachable areas and add arches or doors to access.

a good programmed need probably a couple hours for the color variants and a couple days for adjusting the existing thing.

but hey, see it positive, instead of making it easy or fully custom we will have more lag due to non static granite :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the problem is, no matter what they select, people will use granite to make the final cube. same as people did with keeps and castles now...
Granite walls only load if you enter the house. It doesn't matter how tall it goes in a private space.

Anyway, they clearly aren't going to let them just be custom, it would defeat the whole purpose of this exercise.

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Granite walls only load if you enter the house. It doesn't matter how tall it goes in a private space.

Anyway, they clearly aren't going to let them just be custom, it would defeat the whole purpose of this exercise.
i disagree, my experience is that it makes lag, hard.ever walked in a fully decorated castle with a couple thousand tiles?

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I wish it did not cause lag, it does. And they can defeat this excercise any time, any time at all. I know what is coming for me. Back to the paver/crafted walls/rubbles paradise. If we really cannot ever have a plot to design on our own HOME shards... then let us use keep grass areas. Please.:Begging:

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The last couple days I've spent some time looking at the houses that have been made public. While I'm not a Grand Architect like many of you, in my humble opinion I didn't see one that couldn't be personally customized to fit one's own likes in regards to adding walls and doors etc. With the current abilities to customize the interior of structures, if there's something that irritates you, you change it/fix it in the best possible way that suits your personality. The possibilities are infinite. And we know that everyone likes to add this or that touch to make it their own. This is an option that isn't going away.

It would be really nice for people to be generous of spirit, appreciate what each player has created, regardless of whether it fits your personal opinion of what makes the best structure. Realize that it's just your personal opinion. It's fun to get out of your head and look at the space as it is, figure it out. Last night I was looking at a structure that had some strange elements along the back wall that didn't seem to fit. I looked and looked trying to figure it out. Finally I looked at the house sign and bam!, now it made perfect sense and it was wicked cool!

Personally when I vote I'm going to vote for something that is completely different than the styles we now have in game, just to be more expansive. No one structure is going to be perfect, just please vote for the one you like best without having to trash talk other structures. People have done some really marvelous things here. Honor that.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I saw many I cannot make my own. I already have floors and walls that hi light as I mouse over, or just walk. So I can dye granite walls to match anything? ok. NO. Plus width. There are many designs well thought out. Many not. It has nothing to do with spirit.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i disagree, my experience is that it makes lag, hard.ever walked in a fully decorated castle with a couple thousand tiles?
It doesn't matter in terms of blocking people's view, which is the whole reason they won't let people design their own castles. If people want to make a cube out of a castle, they have to deal with the lag of the granite, because if it were designed it would block off a boat load of screen real estate and ruins the area for anyone who lives behind it.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only time i dont lag in a castle is when its empty. Once a castle has deco in it i always lag.

I still say give us the empity plot and let us build it. The ones that have something blocking let them as well it would just make it a illegally placed home. Cant be sold or traded. I remeber seeing a firends L shape in fel was placed right next to water and then a few years later the back part of the home was in the water. He could not sell or trade it. Do that with the castles and keeps.

I would love to have a number count on how many castles and keeps there are in game. I counted along time ago and i know there was just over 100 on alt but this was back in 2009 i counted.

Inwish when the custom homes camenout that when you build it you need to get the itemes needed. Ie need stone or wood for walls need nails go mine some ore and make them. Thats to much to ask for. Just would love to build a home like that.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
OT

I’m moving to East Tennessee next spring/summer and all my accounts are on Pac, I’m not transferring to a new server way to many items.

Is it possible to get a good connection in Tennessee on the Pacific shard some how.
Yes - I play Lake Austin (also a WC server) from southeastern Kentucky. even before they relocated the servers to the cloud, I rarely had a ping of over 80, and that was when my net provider was 5 mbps, not 100+