• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pvp lag

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I just started pvping again and I noticed when some people attack me, I get huge lag spikes, and when others attack its perfectly fine. I have a decent pc and internet connection 25mbps. Latency usually around 50ish. Any ideas on how to fix this?

temu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The most tempting answer will be that people are running some kind of client side hacks that cause lag for other players. I doubt this is possible, but I am not a network programmer so what do I know? I will tell you this, however. When I mage duel, or have really long fights, I will notice some strange lag that gives me a rubber band effect, or my spell and targeting will take slightly longer than normal. It's like packet loss all the sudden. But, I could PvM all day long and never notice a thing. I think it might have to do with your perception of how quickly the game is moving in time. In PvP, 1-2 seconds when you're in a close fight is a LIFE TIME, same with any latency hiccup.

Or it could be because other people are scripting and hacking too I guess.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Mine was more like : get attacked then wonder if your getting client error. Like 1-2sec "pauses". Doesn't seem like normal lag to me. And it's only when certain players attack me.
The most tempting answer will be that people are running some kind of client side hacks that cause lag for other players. I doubt this is possible, but I am not a network programmer so what do I know? I will tell you this, however. When I mage duel, or have really long fights, I will notice some strange lag that gives me a rubber band effect, or my spell and targeting will take slightly longer than normal. It's like packet loss all the sudden. But, I could PvM all day long and never notice a thing. I think it might have to do with your perception of how quickly the game is moving in time. In PvP, 1-2 seconds when you're in a close fight is a LIFE TIME, same with any latency hiccup.

Or it could be because other people are scripting and hacking too I guess.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also this was a world of warcraft hack that drove arena players nuts. Was just curious if anyone has seen this on UO.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
You might have experienced the effects of the infamous "speed-hack" people have used. Illegal for the game, but still used by some people.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So lame, I remember a few years ago a guy on foot was out running me on an ethy, I was like wtf lol wish gms would do more

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You might have experienced the effects of the infamous "speed-hack" people have used. Illegal for the game, but still used by some people.
what do you know about this speed hack? Care to share your knowledge? Or is this something you have heard about but don't actually know anything about?

I believe that speedhacks exist and I am sure that if they exist people will use them in PvP. Then again I have encountered the exact same issue as the OP with people who I know for a fact do not speedhack.

@Xris
Are the players you experience this against archers by any chance?

I got these screen freezes or lag spikes whenever archers using the EC would attack me with their attack nearest macro. I was unable to pin down what exactly caused the freezes but I had a feeling it was the impact sound, or the hit spell going off or maybe something else. It only happened against archers though.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
what do you know about this speed hack? Care to share your knowledge? Or is this something you have heard about but don't actually know anything about?

I believe that speedhacks exist and I am sure that if they exist people will use them in PvP. Then again I have encountered the exact same issue as the OP with people who I know for a fact do not speedhack.

@Xris
Are the players you experience this against archers by any chance?

I got these screen freezes or lag spikes whenever archers using the EC would attack me with their attack nearest macro. I was unable to pin down what exactly caused the freezes but I had a feeling it was the impact sound, or the hit spell going off or maybe something else. It only happened against archers though.
No Max, not personal experience with this, but it has been posted here a while back, by people affected or possibly affected by this, sometging about Asian PvP players..its in here..somewhere.