• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fiction Writing

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How does one go about doing a UO fiction? IE get permission and be published?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
not on stratics? just guessing.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You'd most likely have to contact EA and get them to agree to it since they still own UO and all the rights to it.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Change the name to Brutainia and you shouldn't have any problems. City names: Brutain, Mongloow, Trisnic, Yo, Monic, Scarred Bra, Vaspur, etc. Oh wait you can't use those names cause I just did and copywrited them ;)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you just want to do fanfic, you can probably just do free fanfic on one of the fanfiction sites (like fanfiction dot net) and EA wouldn't bat an eye.

Trying to do it for pay (such as selling on Amazon) just isn't gonna happen without a contract between you and EA.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When I asked about it a few years back I was told NO. Good Luck

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How does one go about doing a UO fiction? IE get permission and be published?
To be published? Like in a book? I would guess that you don't. If you just mean fan fiction or something, if you aren't selling it I don't see why anyone would ever care about the rights.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sometimes UO.com has fiction on it.l
The official in game fiction? I don't know if they pay someone to write that or it's just someone on the team somewhere who cranks out out or what.

*edit* Ah, yeah seems that EM Malachi writes all of the official fiction for UO. So if you wanted to write official UO fiction, I would imagine the first step is becoming an EM.

Last edited:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'll start.

I was sitting at the bank for 4 hours straight when someone came up to talk to me. I ignored them because I am way too important. After a few more hours of bank sitting, I decided to go to and macro unattended in the busiest spot in the game for 3 to 5 hours. It was really annoying for anyone that was trying to have a conversation but it's not like anyone can do anything about it so I continued for another hour. Boredom quickly took hold so I decided to go to the stable and get my favorite pet. My pet and I went to the only dungeon that still has decent loot. I said all kill about 50 times and made sure to stay invisible for the 20 minutes that I was there. I didn't get a drop so I went back to the bank to ignore people for the rest of the day. I will complain about not getting a drop later.

I'm sure my publisher will be super interested in this sample. Y'all can just pm me to preorder your copy. I only take cash sent in the mail as payment.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Write something for the role play forums both Official and Stratics. Never know who may see your writing and like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk