• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sadness

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Screenshot (4).png

if this isn't a clue as to how dead Origin is... maybe its time to close her down with the making Baja and that other shard "test"shards it has gotten terrible

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I used to like you....:/ LOL just kidding....

The problem is no one has the inclination to stock vendors....we have a few dedicated vendor stockers here on Origin, I used to but I got rather bored of it....it doesn't suit my play style..which is bad really because vendors draw more people to the shard but it's more like work then fun...

I use my Luna house as an Origin Historical site..sorta....I have lost a lot of Original Origin items along the way but the books I have locked down were written by my old boss Ghostwriter...some nice History there which he passed on to me when he left....and some EM sashes...(I miss Faine)

I had wanted to try starting up the shard meetings again....we have a nice sized population but most people here are happy to play among themselves

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I had wanted to try starting up the shard meetings again....we have a nice sized population but most people here are happy to play among themselves
I think this is a general problem with UO, the ability to solo or take multiple accounts to do stuff make grouping kind of obsolete. I see people complain about shard population all the time. There are always people around, alot just play alone or with their small group of friends. I see people talk about how they used to love the shard community and doing things as a group but never show up at pre-planned player run events.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I used to like you....:/ LOL just kidding....

The problem is no one has the inclination to stock vendors....we have a few dedicated vendor stockers here on Origin, I used to but I got rather bored of it....it doesn't suit my play style..which is bad really because vendors draw more people to the shard but it's more like work then fun...

I use my Luna house as an Origin Historical site..sorta....I have lost a lot of Original Origin items along the way but the books I have locked down were written by my old boss Ghostwriter...some nice History there which he passed on to me when he left....and some EM sashes...(I miss Faine)

Larisa Origin my Home I play it more than anywhere else I wish it wasn't this way but is there any other shard with multiple housing spots in luna available ??

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I think this is a general problem with UO, the ability to solo or take multiple accounts to do stuff make grouping kind of obsolete. I see people complain about shard population all the time. There are always people around, alot just play alone or with their small group of friends. I see people talk about how they used to love the shard community and doing things as a group but never show up at pre-planned player run events.
Exactly...I used to be Governor of Jhelom but it's rather pointless if no one does anything with it....few people anymore want to go to an event if they don't get something shiny at the end....no fun just for the sake of having fun...that's why when Origin doesn't have a drop event it's just us Originals there....but come Drop time we have 40+ people show up....makes me sad :(

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Take it a step further, and analyse why.

Why is everyone able to solo?
Why is everyone able to use multiple accounts in complete safety?
Why can you therefore just play as if you were on an offline game, and for all intents and purposes not even be there?

When you take all the other ingame issues into account also, and look at the big picture, such as economy, pvp - you may come to the same conclusion I have.

Then what would the fix be?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
There may be not an easy set of fixes..It may be that a lot of players are just getting old, and getting tired of the what they perceive as eternal grind. It may be also that the Dev team is losing interest to start new things, or do some old but fun content that in the past drew interest, like the Tokuno event, and others. Make a new class maybe? The pet revamp brought some new people in. Seems everyone logged in ATL shard somehow. Who knows..

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's one point why I personally more and more loose interest to play UO. Everything is desgined to bring you, your pet and those other 2 accounts of yours. There is no match making where you can meet new people. And the places where the action is are closed off behind party-walls, because god beware there could be a stranger joining :rolleyes:

The over-protectiveness is killing a lot of fun. Hard to blame the players that they move on to where the fun is.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Back in the day when I was younger I did alot of group stuff all the time with my guild members. Now being in my 50s I really don't care about the group stuff anymore been there done that. I solo now adays which is great and relaxing I see it this way I pay to play this game I'm going to play it the way I want. I'm retired and doing some shopping, deco and a bit of killing monsters at this time.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back in the day when I was younger I did alot of group stuff all the time with my guild members. Now being in my 50s I really don't care about the group stuff anymore been there done that. I solo now adays which is great and relaxing I see it this way I pay to play this game I'm going to play it the way I want. I'm retired in doing deco only at this time.
I have no issues with this by the way Michelle,

The issue though as I see it, is this has become the predominate attitude on forums and in-game.

This game has been driven by over 50's attitudes for too long - ever since the creation of Trammel, which quite frankly is not going to be that attractive to a mainstream audience.

Now I certainly think there is a place for your playstyle, but it should not be driving the game design, or the way things happen.

If anything, it is the loudmouth pvpers, who you all poo poo, they are the ones who are driven by emotion, fun and excitement, they are the ones who should be listened to, in order to give a game life.

If you have them in a game in numbers, the game has life, it has a future, if you don't, the game dies.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have no issues with this by the way Michelle,

The issue though as I see it, is this has become the predominate attitude on forums and in-game.

This game has been driven by over 50's attitudes for too long - ever since the creation of Trammel, which quite frankly is not going to be that attractive to a mainstream audience.

Now I certainly think there is a place for your playstyle, but it should not be driving the game design, or the way things happen.

If anything, it is the loudmouth pvpers, who you all poo poo, they are the ones who are driven by emotion, fun and excitement, they are the ones who should be listened to, in order to give a game life.

If you have them in a game in numbers, the game has life, it has a future, if you don't, the game dies.
tram was created because players who didn't like being forced into pking, pvp, but mostly being killing every time they went to do things and losing all their loot. please explain how what the fel pkers and pvpers did to trammel players back then is trammel players fault trammel was created. to me looks like trammel was created because the way fel pkers and pvpers treated tram players.
Don't really matter how I or other players play this game it is not stopping as you put it loudmouth pvpers, me decorating or soloing monsters etc does not have a impacted on any players joining UO to pk or pvp.
Players make their own choices to be pvp or not to be pvp is their choice not mine not yours if pvp is so great then why isn't there more players waning to do it?

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aren’t games made for people to enjoy them be entertained and escape the reality’s of life.

Also I’m not sure where some of you live but I doubt you can just walk down the street and kill other's take their belongings and not get guard wacked.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aren’t games made for people to enjoy them be entertained and escape the reality’s of life.
Also I’m not sure where some of you live but I doubt you can just walk down the street and kill other's take their belongings and not get guard wacked.
Yes to your first sentence. The escape is a medieval fantasy world of magic, where you can role-play many different styles - all of this is possible in a Feluccan environment (even deco, crafting etc), not so much in Trammel (no pvp, thieves, pk's).

To your second sentence, of course you are correct - but again this is about the escape from reality.
I remember reading years ago, how brain surgeons loved playing PK's in UO.
They spend their life under huge stress, they are highly intelligent, well paid, spend their lives saving peoples lives, but when they play UO, they want to be PK's as an escape from it all.
Think about that, the image we are fed of PK's on these boards, is completely incorrect.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've read all your further points, thanks for responding, I have nothing much to add to them.

I've put my point of view across, it's enough now, I'm off from the forums, have a nice evening.

Thank you for your viewpoints. :)

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've read all your further points, thanks for responding, I have nothing much to add to them.

I've put my point of view across, it's enough now, I'm off from the forums, have a nice evening.

Thank you for your viewpoints. :)
so you know I'm not a pvper, I've played in fel Ive done lots of fel things joined a fel guild done champ spawns fel group spawns, got a crimmy and some other drops. played in tb factions on greatlakes. done fel idocing best idoc was red going afk keep falling and looting the whole idoc before he came back yup that was the best but like I said I'm retired now

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well this only got derailed a little :gee: my post was about Origin and how empty its become. Luna is the Mecca of UO when there are 5 or 6 spots to place houses there people should find it troubling it used to be a thriving shard and even after it quieted down it picked up with new publishes as people wanted to play and test things out before things went live . why they felt the need to add Baja and the other shard to the pre live publish shards baffles me

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well this only got derailed a little :gee: my post was about Origin and how empty its become. Luna is the Mecca of UO when there are 5 or 6 spots to place houses there people should find it troubling it used to be a thriving shard and even after it quieted down it picked up with new publishes as people wanted to play and test things out before things went live . why they felt the need to add Baja and the other shard to the pre live publish shards baffles me
See what you started. First you cause issues on the roof now this. :p

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is that true? I knew origin was a pre live test shard. But Baja and the other shard we can't remember the name of were created as test shards? I thought they chose to add more because origin was pretty dead.

Back then I was a loner and did not care about any shard but LS.

I don't even know when Atlantic became the multiple times larger shard than the rest. I eventually made toons on other shards for gift trading. I made a miner on a shard long ago because I was tired of getting pked at the Minoc mines on LS but I can't tell which it was.

There are quite a few shards with few vendors in Luna. I never needed a Luna house. I dropped runes before vendor search and sold my wares as fast as I put them out.

I don't know why players think they need a Luna house. I stopped random shopping when vendor search came out.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On pac vendors are a thing of the past I do most of my shopping on alt

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Is that true? I knew origin was a pre live test shard. But Baja and the other shard we can't remember the name of were created as test shards? I thought they chose to add more because origin was pretty dead.

Back then I was a loner and did not care about any shard but LS.

I don't even know when Atlantic became the multiple times larger shard than the rest. I eventually made toons on other shards for gift trading. I made a miner on a shard long ago because I was tired of getting pked at the Minoc mines on LS but I can't tell which it was.

There are quite a few shards with few vendors in Luna. I never needed a Luna house. I dropped runes before vendor search and sold my wares as fast as I put them out.

I don't know why players think they need a Luna house. I stopped random shopping when vendor search came out.

I am not sure when or why they added extra test shards it was about the only draw origin had maybe they need to let people place a second house on low population or test shards...

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL Trying to mine in my back yard! HOW DARE YOU! :p I bet you didn't buy your mining permit back then and the "tax man" had to come collect his ingots from you!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL Trying to mine in my back yard! HOW DARE YOU! :p I bet you didn't buy your mining permit back then and the "tax man" had to come collect his ingots from you!
Yes daily. Was entertaining to just watch the carnage. Then we all ran to the corpse and grabbed what we could. We were buzzards.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't know why players think they need a Luna house.
I love my little Luna house on Sonoma because I use it to get my 14 accounts worth of characters to all of my 25+ houses with teleport tiles.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Amazing. A thread commenting on lack of vendors turns into a "Trammel ruined my PVP game! Wahhhhh!"

Jeez, people ... give it a damned rest, would you? :violin::bdh::violin::bdh::violin::bdh:
Trammel didn’t ruin PvP - it ruined your ability to grief players. The PvP crowd can still PvP to their hearts content.

I think part of the PvP issue is the loot escalation and the need to hunt, acquire, imbue and PvM to get the gear to PvP. It is a steep climb to the gear you need.

It’s not fortnite where you pilot in fresh and go.

But you are right - the lemmings are gone from fel if that’s what you were looking for. Easy kills and griefing.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think part of the PvP issue is the loot escalation and the need to hunt, acquire, imbue and PvM to get the gear to PvP. It is a steep climb to the gear you need.

It’s not fortnite where you pilot in fresh and go.
And that's also the problem why UO PvP is so uninteresting to anyone new. The turnaround time of getting killed once and being back into the battle is like 50x compared to popular games. Find a healer, recall to house, heal up, grab new potions, apples, etc. pp., recall back, and so on. Boooooring..

Planters

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Well this seems to have changed topics quickly but I have a new vendor house on origin and I am more than willing to stock stuff if I hear there is a need/want that you would like filled. But at the same time I don’t want to fill a vendor to have it sit full forever, waste resources and time and make it so I couldn’t have another vendor with wants and needs as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Didn't they say at a recent meet and greet that they will consider a new type of vendor that counts toward house storage and won't charge a fee until an item sells? I'm hoping for that on some shards where I have no vendor.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't they say at a recent meet and greet that they will consider a new type of vendor that counts toward house storage and won't charge a fee until an item sells? I'm hoping for that on some shards where I have no vendor.
It was in the last newsletter. I'm anxiously awaiting more details on it.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
They did. Possibly with v.101, so we will have a choice of 2 vendor types, the ones we have now, and the new ones I hope that will use up house storage and you pay the fee 3-5% or something when an item is sold.
So you will see more vendor hopefully on low pop servers eventually, and more good items people are not vendoring to avoid paying like 1-2 M per week and not selling..

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And that's also the problem why UO PvP is so uninteresting to anyone new. The turnaround time of getting killed once and being back into the battle is like 50x compared to popular games. Find a healer, recall to house, heal up, grab new potions, apples, etc. pp., recall back, and so on. Boooooring..
Yes, its true that is the most annoying part of dying is the delay in back to action. I don't PvP but I PvM and do spawns on my sampire and when you die you need to find a healer (no option in most dungeons and you are on foot when dead). Once you locate one - you are there putting items on by hand (since I run classic without UO assist I have to dress myself). I think its completely stupid you are rezed naked. I mean, who undressed you? The greater dragon?

From there I have to switch to some insured junk to cast vampiric embrace due to the LRC need, and thats only after my mana has crept back up enough to cast it. Then I can heal myself and get back to it. 2-5 minute delay. Annoying and not fun.
The insurace doesn't matter. The fact I'm dead doesn't matter - but the 2-5 min each time and the clicking and hassle sucks.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They did. Possibly with v.101, so we will have a choice of 2 vendor types, the ones we have now, and the new ones I hope that will use up house storage and you pay the fee 3-5% or something when an item is sold.
So you will see more vendor hopefully on low pop servers eventually, and more good items people are not vendoring to avoid paying like 1-2 M per week and not selling..
fees i do not believe are an issue on low population shards on Origin anyway there are more than a few vendors selling very high priced items that haven't sold for months the issue is PS are being farmed with NO risk and taken off shard...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The issue is stocking a vendor with lower priced items that, while needed when needed, move slowly. And having them set there and eat up the vendor with fees. High priced stuff eats up more fees, guess those peeps have more gps than I do.

They've said a lot of stuff. Seeing will be believing, for me. I hope to see it! but if it moves at the speed of castle layouts, UO might be closed before we get them...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
fees i do not believe are an issue on low population shards on Origin anyway there are more than a few vendors selling very high priced items that haven't sold for months the issue is PS are being farmed with NO risk and taken off shard...
Try putting out a vendor with 100k on it. Then put a few good suits for NOOBS at 500k each. Then some random items. See how long it lasts. The vendor drops before they are sold on slow shards.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
500k for a noob suit and some wonder why it doesn't move. I remember beginner suits being sold around 50k-75k on Atlantic back when I played regularly.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
500k for a noob suit and some wonder why it doesn't move. I remember beginner suits being sold around 50k-75k on Atlantic back when I played regularly.
Lol, I was thinking the same thing :)

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did the 75K suits for a while, never sold any and lost money on the trade. Trump would have said it was a bigly mistake.

I think a lot of the Vet's forget how hard it is to farm 500K in gold when you are rocking a newb char....

Last edited:

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It's pointless to discuss how to make the Origin vendor system better when the reality is that all shards are feeder shards for Atlantic. Very few shards will pay you what you can get on Atlantic and certainly things sell more quickly on Atlantic. Origin is where people go to farm stuff in peace to bring back to Atlantic, sadly.

That is the problem which needs fixing, nothing else will change until that does.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's pointless to discuss how to make the Origin vendor system better when the reality is that all shards are feeder shards for Atlantic. Very few shards will pay you what you can get on Atlantic and certainly things sell more quickly on Atlantic. Origin is where people go to farm stuff in peace to bring back to Atlantic, sadly.

That is the problem which needs fixing, nothing else will change until that does.
Shard bound PS sounds perfect to me