• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So no more dev posts since the official forum launch?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why is it one or the other? I thought the more sites the better. How much did the DEVs post on the other UO web sites compared to UOStratics. So UOStratics went through some drastic drama and the DEVs backed away and now we have a new forum run by UO and some how that is UOs fault and UOStratics takes zero blame, now that is priceless. Does UO forums have its problems hell yes it does but guess what people UOStratics aint without its own sins but I guess people have to have their rocks to throw.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct

General Information
  1. These official boards are administered by Broadsword Online Games Inc© for the discussion of the game Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC).
    1. With the introduction of these official boards, Broadsword staff will no longer be responding to posts or private messages on 3rd party forums or websites for Dark Age of Camelot and will instead focus their community efforts here and on the official Discord server.
  2. These official boards are administered by Broadsword Online Games Inc© for the discussion of the game Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC).

1. Visitors to the forums or those whose accounts are not currently subscribed or in good standing will not be able to post on these message boards but can still view them.
This is on DAoCs forum and this policy is by Broardsword not DAoC and Broardsword controls UO so I would not be suprised if UO was not under the same rules.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I did some thread clean up. Let's try to stay on topic, be constructive, and not take personal shots.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct

General Information
  1. These official boards are administered by Broadsword Online Games Inc© for the discussion of the game Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC).
    1. With the introduction of these official boards, Broadsword staff will no longer be responding to posts or private messages on 3rd party forums or websites for Dark Age of Camelot and will instead focus their community efforts here and on the official Discord server.
  2. These official boards are administered by Broadsword Online Games Inc© for the discussion of the game Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC).
    1. Visitors to the forums or those whose accounts are not currently subscribed or in good standing will not be able to post on these message boards but can still view them.
This is on DAoCs forum and this policy is by Broardsword not DAoC and Broardsword controls UO so I would not be suprised if UO was not under the same rules.
And DAoC has an OFFICIAL Discord... sad.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My guess is they don't have anyone to moderate such a thing and the mods they have on the forums have their hands full.

I'd volunteer but .... I'm not one of their favorites... but it'd be nice if they did do a Discord server...
Really if you think about it they could do one where they muted everyone but themselves picked people at random to ask questions and could do meet and greets from there rather than the way they are done now...

They could have a question channel where people could ask questions and then an answer forum where they could pick what they wanted to answer and just answer those in a nice spot where it's easily searchable and available.

Discord has a great number of possibilities and uploading pictures and such is so easy.

I've been using Discord since it's beta launch... I'd be happy to even teach them how to set it up and all.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
An official Discord server would be awesome, but moderation of it would probably be an absolute nightmare. How does DAoC handle it?

The best we could probably hope for is for Bleak and/or Kyronix to hop on the big UO server every once in a while to answer questions, but I'm not holding my breath.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They could have a question channel where people could ask questions and then an answer forum where they could pick what they wanted to answer and just answer those in a nice spot where it's easily searchable and available.
The closest we have come to that is the old Five on Friday, which didnt answer much, considering every cotton pickin week two answers were:

Yes Gargoyles can fly
and
No there will be no classic server...

Then three fluff answers and done.

Kinda like the meet and greets but shorter

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
An official Discord server would be awesome, but moderation of it would probably be an absolute nightmare. How does DAoC handle it?

The best we could probably hope for is for Bleak and/or Kyronix to hop on the big UO server every once in a while to answer questions, but I'm not holding my breath.
Well I'm sure they would enjoy it and like to but someone would probably have a fit if they did... highly doubt it will ever happen but let a girl dream for a moment would ya?

Delores D

Journeyman
I registered over on the new forum. I posted a couple times. Then I didn't post for a while and now I have to sign in again? It is bad enough to register, figure out a user name, password and all the other stuff. Then write it all down and then try to remember where you wrote it all down. I might read it once in a while.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Sometimes you have to sign in more than once a day, not sure why. I've been logged out a few times while replying to someone, it's a bit annoying.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Delores D alls you have to do is think of a name that people will see you log in with your account name and password. This post is just another BS post about how bad the official forums are, did you really make an account or did you just think this up out of thin air.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I registered and now I am having to log in again. And I did not think this out of thin air.
Yes. There is a timer or something. You have to log in daily if you use it often.

It stops people that closed accounts from being able to post on the forum if they were logged in when they closed.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I registered and now I am having to log in again. And I did not think this out of thin air.
For the first couple of months they only checked your account status on registration. But as always, someone had to report it to them and ruined the fun. An in typical UO manner the team took no prisoners when thinking of a fix so even paid accounts have to log in couple times a day now ^^

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where are all of you getting this 3 and 4 times a day BS, I have to relog maybe every 2 or 3 days and you do understand that it is just hit the the log-in button because everything can be saved. Gee I have to log into stratics everyday, OMG UOStratics is so BAD. Is there anything you people won't pancake about, gee you have to log into the game everyday, oh no UO totally sucks.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've made a post on the new forums, gotten up and gone to the bathroom, came back and hit refresh get the Howdy Stranger..it's not a conspiracy theory, it's just not affecting everyone the same way, but it's definitely happening.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
For the first couple of months they only checked your account status on registration. But as always, someone had to report it to them and ruined the fun. An in typical UO manner the team took no prisoners when thinking of a fix so even paid accounts have to log in couple times a day now ^^
Okay ... playing Devils Advocate for a bit here. UOForum login is what? Oh yeah ... your game login. Let's say for a far-out example that UOForums gets hacked for some silly reason. And everyone is logged in in perpetuity. Hackers now have your game login info.

What could they possibly do with that? Empty out housing ... simply delete all your stuff? Laugh at you? Soooo a timeout is instituted to autolog after a certain amount of time. I was only there once, but look in any forum settings there and see if this timeout can be altered at all.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled pandemoniuim that is UHall. :gee:

EDIT: Pawain made a note above about what the reason probably was. In all honesty, that's the most likely reason ... but one can never tell.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yes. There is a timer or something. You have to log in daily if you use it often.

It stops people that closed accounts from being able to post on the forum if they were logged in when they closed.
Sadly, the official UO forum is another half-baked, half-concocted idea, as are a lot of other things in UO. You have to log in with your game certificates, and you can have no voice in there unless you play the game, not interested in what you have to say, or any new ideas. EJ's can post there? or not? Anyways we still love UO or we would not be here..lol

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay ... playing Devils Advocate for a bit here. UOForum login is what? Oh yeah ... your game login. Let's say for a far-out example that UOForums gets hacked for some silly reason. And everyone is logged in in perpetuity. Hackers now have your game login info.

What could they possibly do with that? Empty out housing ... simply delete all your stuff? Laugh at you? Soooo a timeout is instituted to autolog after a certain amount of time. I was only there once, but look in any forum settings there and see if this timeout can be altered at all.
The auto-logout (i.e. invalidating your session) has nothing to do with your stored password. That's not how it works. your password is there regardless if you haven't logged in in days or months.

I just stated it was more fun when you could post with an closed account.

We are just making some fun of them cause against all logic they went way to far with a "fix" again. Give cookies a lifetime of 7 days. Done.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where are all of you getting this 3 and 4 times a day BS, I have to relog maybe every 2 or 3 days and you do understand that it is just hit the the log-in button because everything can be saved. Gee I have to log into stratics everyday, OMG UOStratics is so BAD. Is there anything you people won't pancake about, gee you have to log into the game everyday, oh no UO totally sucks.
Why so salty everytime Frodo? We are just having some fun over their amateurish solutions once again :D Every other forum I get a session that's valid for a week or two, not half a day ;)

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My biggest irritation has to do with security. Opening the forums and linking it to our account info I still feel was a poor decision. It gives a third access point for a would be attacker to probe. That means they have to be sure all three sites are 100% secure. Many sites have issues with one access point. Three is silly. The one thing going for UO is most people who have the abillity to hack a site really have no interest in a 20 year old game :D

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Opening the forums and linking it to our account info I still feel was a poor decision.
I think it all comes down to the need to control everything. I agree it wasn't a good decision and neither was choosing not to allow EJ players any kind of voice on their forum. At least give them a separate sub-forum to gather feedback, or do their opinions just not matter? Not a good way to treat potential customers. :(

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My biggest irritation has to do with security. Opening the forums and linking it to our account info I still feel was a poor decision. It gives a third access point for a would be attacker to probe. That means they have to be sure all three sites are 100% secure. Many sites have issues with one access point. Three is silly. The one thing going for UO is most people who have the abillity to hack a site really have no interest in a 20 year old game :D
But its a different password at least. I don't see the fuzz there tbh. Even if it's leaked, it doesn't give access to origin or your account in general.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But its a different password at least. I don't see the fuzz there tbh. Even if it's leaked, it doesn't give access to origin or your account in general.
It's not a different password. When you create your account you have to use a game login to create it. That means that site has at least read access to the uo accounts htpasswd file.

* As an example and this is purely hypothetical and hopefully improbable, if permissions are not set correctly and someone where to have the htpasswd file location they could "spoof" UOs site into believing the request is coming from the boards and allow view access to the password file.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's not a different password. When you create your account you have to use a game login to create it.
Ups, indeed. Checked it again and you're right. Somehow thought I had chosen another password there, but must have been only the username.