• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet Training

Nightmare of GL

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a question as a returning player about pet training, now when it comes to specialized training there is a ton of info. Now what I would like to know is can you not hit the training option and just gain (base levels such as wrestling/resist/etc.) normal hunting? Now if I can once I get the pet to max based skills then do the specialized skills templates. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I missed out on the release of this. Also I tried using uocraft to see how good my pet is however some of the new pets such as Platinum Dragons and such are not on their (wondering if they planned to update the site to have more accurate numbers and types). Thanks for all the help sorry if this is a rehash question but I could not find it.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I have a question as a returning player about pet training, now when it comes to specialized training there is a ton of info. Now what I would like to know is can you not hit the training option and just gain (base levels such as wrestling/resist/etc.) normal hunting? Now if I can once I get the pet to max based skills then do the specialized skills templates. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I missed out on the release of this. Also I tried using uocraft to see how good my pet is however some of the new pets such as Platinum Dragons and such are not on their (wondering if they planned to update the site to have more accurate numbers and types). Thanks for all the help sorry if this is a rehash question but I could not find it.
Welcome Back! There is definitely a lot to grasp in the new taming system. To answer your questions directly:

- Yes, you can choose to not "Start Advanced Training" on your pet and it will still gain Skills normally like it did in the past. You can start advanced training at any point you like.
- The UOCraft Pet Calculator has become outdated with the Taming revamp in Publish 97. With the help of some other tamers I have put together an alternative pet rating system that is designed for scoring pets based on the Post-97 taming system. You can find the link here: Pet Intensity Calculator | uo-cah.com (also in my signature).

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Yes, you can skill train without leveling up your pet, but it's a lot easier/faster if you level up the pet first because it will have higher resists and higher dex/stam so the pet will hit faster.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It depends on the pet and the skill levels they have. Pets gain a percentage from hitting and being hit based on their skills. For example, a giant beetle with GM or near GM skills will get through the training levels faster then one that is at the starting skill level. It’s the same for other pets too. I’ve noticed my pets fly through the training levels quicker, since I get their skills up to GM then others training their pets as is.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
For low levels I spend a few hours of Elementals before I hit the training. Allows them to get Gm wrestle and parry, and makes it much easier to keep them alive when I’m at the mage.

Other stronger pets like Cus and Hiryus I do straight away.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, you can skill train without leveling up your pet, but it's a lot easier/faster if you level up the pet first because it will have higher resists and higher dex/stam so the pet will hit faster.
If you skill train your pet, you will gain max dex and int before you level it up - and save some imbuing points. Other thing is that leveling it up goes lot faster.

I use to do resist spells first of all, then keep doing resist spells till the dex/stamina and int/mana is at 125 - that way training wrestling goes lot faster. And I always get them to GM Wrestling before I start doing anything else.