• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic shard ?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Id be very happy to see a classic server reborn, however there are a few things for me that need to be done in order to see some stability in the market.

1.) EC only(I’ve never played EC but currently with the programs out there not much will change from the pvp aspect, just a bunch of people quick targeting.

2.) Indepth Crafting System. Id say look at albinos crafting system and go from there.

3.) No mounts( People are too fast now) mounts should not be needed for pvp or pvm.

4.) Unique loot

5.) Sell All the event items at the UO store (people love pixle crack)

6.) Create an Organized PVP battle ground, (which rewards/titles)

7.) Able to train Wolves, bears and other pets just as strong as WW or Dragons.

8.) Auction House.

9.) PvP dungeons and PVM dungeons. PvP dungeons more drops higher end drops. Plus crafting supplies in these dungeons.

10.) Scale HP stats and keep scaling them up.

The issue with classic uo is it gets stale after a year. So you need to keep tweaking things updating things and keeping the players involved in everything, so more people continue to play. So we start off with x a 120 cap on skills and 25 stat then the next year or season increase the skill point cap and stat caps. Soo people continue to farm scrolls, and newer armor.
This is not a classic shard. In fact, a lot of this might not even make it onto one.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think things have been going downhill for a long time, we do occasionally get something we all love, but more often changes just seem to make things worse. The slope has been so gradual that we all just grumbled and then got on with it. AoS just seemed to remove the need for community, we used to all visit the Smith for repairs, it was nice to meet up and chat a bit while you waited, I honestly think that it ripped the soul from the game when we no longer needed to rely on others. Like in real life people become less close as more and more is automated and technology moves on, people become isolated. If I could go back to UO before AoS I would, in a heartbeat!
100% agree with you on the nostalgia, is the palmy hands when in a danger situation, pked while gathering resources. Being able to farm sometime with risk and reward, making money as a crafter. All that stuff has been gone for 10 years so that nostalgia you are asking for does not exists, and it wont exists on a free server. As much as you think you want it no one wants to kill the same monster for 4 years straight have the same template for 4 years straight, that is not what attracts people to uo.

The Plan that I put in place should recreate that feeling and bring back those older thrills and keep allowing updated content to keep the game fun.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
100% agree with you on the nostalgia, is the palmy hands when in a danger situation, pked while gathering resources. Being able to farm sometime with risk and reward, making money as a crafter. All that stuff has been gone for 10 years so that nostalgia you are asking for does not exists, and it wont exists on a free server. As much as you think you want it no one wants to kill the same monster for 4 years straight have the same template for 4 years straight, that is not what attracts people to uo.

The Plan that I put in place should recreate that feeling and bring back those older thrills and keep allowing updated content to keep the game fun.
You are still pushing an item based system IE Age of ****.

n00bPvper

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

Actually exists.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You are still pushing an item based system IE Age of ****.
uo has always been item based,

Because whats going to happen is people are going to farm invulnerability, vanq items, wands and use those for pvp. at least twenty years ago people just didn't have the accounts or the ability to farm 100 vanqs a day without being disturbed, there was a handful of places to farm and those were scouted regularly.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Actually exists.
it does not exist on a free server, these servers pop up and go every other month, there is one server that has managed to stay around for a few years but its population continues to diminish and they aint getting any new players. Again, Classic server is great PRE aos rulset is fine, but if you are not turning your machine every few months its gonna break

n00bPvper

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
uo has always been item based,

Because whats going to happen is people are going to farm invulnerability, vanq items, wands and use those for pvp. at least twenty years ago people just didn't have the accounts or the ability to farm 100 vanqs a day without being disturbed, there was a handful of places to farm and those were scouted regularly.
I can be wrong but when Frodo complains about UO being item based I think he is saying about the spreadsheet type of UO and not this old items that u didnt need to calculate your whole suit to fit on your character

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I can be wrong but when Frodo complains about UO being item based I think he is saying about the spreadsheet type of UO and not this old items that u didnt need to calculate your whole suit to fit on your character
Yeah i know what he means but we pay money to play this game, I pay money so developers can put together a fun system that encourages end game content.

What i'm hearing him say is that he wishes uo would put in a system they had 19 years ago and leave it alone and thats it? The spells the skills, the weapons? that is going to fix the problems? No lol whats going to happen is people are going to get bored and quit playing. This game is prolly one of the best pvp games ever made but without content development it has become more of a social game than an actual challenge. Its easy too easy

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think so too. And the ridiculous number of mods nowdays...

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think so too. And the ridiculous number of mods nowdays...
The game was not very good then it was Entire RNG based, Dexxers were all luck based on how much they hit you, (unless they had magic items) the spell damage ranged from 3 to 30 damage. Thats not a very good game. At the time it was all you had but you need to adapt and put a system in place that brings back that old feel.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The game was not very good then it was Entire RNG based, Dexxers were all luck based on how much they hit you, (unless they had magic items) the spell damage ranged from 3 to 30 damage. Thats not a very good game. At the time it was all you had but you need to adapt and put a system in place that brings back that old feel.
What do you mean it wasn't very good pre Age of **** UO had estimated 350K players and it has gone down hill every since. It pre AoS wasn't very good than this must be total crap then. And where do you get the 19 years ago, where you even playing UO pre AoS, sure doesn't sound like it. Bring back AR and do away with all this BS needing spreadsheets just to play a game. Not only do I have to do my gear now I have to redo all my pets oh boy this is just so much fun. And it is still RNG based for your info.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And it is still RNG based for your info.
RNG minus 100 is the way it seems to me. When you have an 63% chance to make something and fail 11 times in a row.
And these streaks happen waaaaayyyy tooo often. Not only to me, either.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
RNG minus 100 is the way it seems to me. When you have an 63% chance to make something and fail 11 times in a row.
And these streaks happen waaaaayyyy tooo often. Not only to me, either.
It loves you that much too, I thought I was the only one.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
What do you mean it wasn't very good pre Age of **** UO had estimated 350K players and it has gone down hill every since. It pre AoS wasn't very good than this must be total crap then. And where do you get the 19 years ago, where you even playing UO pre AoS, sure doesn't sound like it. Bring back AR and do away with all this BS needing spreadsheets just to play a game. Not only do I have to do my gear now I have to redo all my pets oh boy this is just so much fun. And it is still RNG based for your info.
upload_2018-8-6_13-25-18.png

upload_2018-8-6_13-26-19.png

I played it I pvped at it, and I'm telling you it was bad especially when runic weapons came out and ruined everything.. RNG for everything.. The only thing that was better then from a pvp perspective is players were limited on spamming spells. Which the server didn't entirely scale on who has the best connection.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I have pvped at all levels, and in pre AOS we did a year of t2a, then a year of faction system then runics then power scrolls then aos. all that was implemented over a 3 year period. But they kept content moving,

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The way i see it is that a classic shard consists of three things, out of the many posts i read

-PVP anywhere, no insurance
-No high intensity armor, no artifacts, etc
-pk vs anti pk community

2/3 of these points can describe siege if siege had more players, and siege is still dead so therefore a classic shard would be as dead as Siege. this is why they arnt going to make a classic shard.

If most of the player base don't like the siege ruleset, what makes anyone think that a classic shard would be popular? makes no sense to me.
Your reasoning is correct.

Now here is some more detail, copied and pasted from a previous post I made on this topic. Because it was made for a similar but not identical thread there are some differences between the older post I was replying to and this one, the most notable of which is that I was replying to a PRO-custom rules shard thread, whereas this post (thankfully) is against the idea.

Anyway, here goes and remember this is a response more to the idea than to the specific post...Here we go.

-----------

Others have made the point that creating a custom rules shard is impractical at best. We've been told by multiple dev team members (most notably Draconi) that the old code is gone and was not kept, and he's also described the poor state the game's documentation was in when he was on the team. (I note that WoW is a younger game and, based on what I've seen of the game and its team, way better documented and has access to historical information about itself that we only can dream of.)

To say they "could" do it is pointless. They "could," given an unlimited amount of time and money and personnel, code in anything they wanted, including a different rules set on every shard. They also "could" fix some pretty basic bugs that we'll never, ever see fixed. (Don't open books in the EC; don't go to EM events in the CC except under rare conditions, and then don't go to EM events in the EC; etc.)

So in the bulk of this post I'm going to focus on why this is a bad, bad idea even if it were possible. The long and the short of it is that the assertions the proponents make are flawed at best and demonstrably false at worst.

Like all custom rules shards proposals, this one at some point devolved into a pre-Trammel thread. Such threads usually begin by suggesting pre-AOS as the rule set to use, this one had a slight variation in that it used pre-Publish 16, then eventually the true intent becomes clear: pre-Trammel or bust!

The rather bizarre and unsupportable premise of such threads is that the pre-Trammel days were more successful, and were so on the basis of being pre-Trammel, and that bringing in a custom rules shard would emulate that success.

The proponents forget what should be obvious: That there was way more limited competition in the pre-Trammel days, that most players left Fel behind when Trammel was created (because few wanted the Fel lifestyle), and that UO's competition that was successful was way less Fel-like than UO ever was.

If the premise of these custom rules thread was true, the following list of things also would be true. But, as you're about to see, they are not.

Publish 16 never would have happened. Posts from the dev team at the time said that Publish happened because most people had left Felucca for Trammel and there was a need to balance out server loads for a greater degree. If Trammel hadn't been a success, most people never would've left, and Publish 16 never would have happened.

But it did happen.

(Same for the Dungeon Khaldun a little bit earlier -- they were creating content for Fel as a lure because most people didn't want the lifestyle that place promoted.)

Let's go back further: Trammel never would have been created, because the discontent created by Fel never would have existed and thus there never would have been a need for it.

But it was. (Then see also above.)

People wanted to just play, not be stolen from, killed at the new player spawn point, called names, etc.

Richard Garriott's Memorable Moment from UO would not have consisted of a realization, caused by an incident of one player harming another, that he had to think hard about the rules of the world he'd created.

But it was.
Link: Memorable Moment – Ultima Online

Starr Long would not have indicated that the creation of Trammel was necessary when he spoke at the 15th anniversary anniversary party.

But he did. (Lost the link for this long ago.)

Siege and Mugen would be the most-populated shards in UO because people would like to play that way.

But they are not.

There never would have been a need to have the Siege housing gimmick as people would have played there without it, because they liked to play that way.

But there was.

The Fel Abyss spawns would be crowded with folks doing them. (The undead one in particular has a lot of cool content and good rewards.)

But they're not.

There wouldn't be posts on Stratics complaining that VvV was dead, because people would jump at the chance to PvP.

But there are those posts.

Games that came out post-UO that had more of a Fel type environment would be prospering, whereas games that came out post-UO that had more of a Tram type environment would be failing. Everquest would be dead, Shadowbane would be thriving. Pre-Tram UO free shards would have huge populationsm dwarfing the proper game itself.

But that's not the case. Shadowbane is dead. Darkfall has 3,344 likes on facebook;
Everquest has 66,431; UO has 27,757. I found a Facebook page for a free shard! Number of likes: 3,773. I found a Facebook page for another free shard, specifically dedicated to the Second Age era. Number of likes: 1,680.

Darkfall Online

EverQuest

Ultima Online

(No links for the free shards so as not to break the Stratics TOS.)

Note that the free shards don't have a lot of likes, way less than the "official" UO that supposedly needs rescuring by a new rules set.

Facebook likes aren't a perfect indicator of a game's popularity but it's a much better metric than individual posters. (Consider how little time it takes to "like" and how much time and effort it takes to post. Clearly we're going to get the extremes here on Stratics and therefore aren't going to be a representative sample. I've met way more people who just play than who post.)

Regarding the "classic" free shards, I note that they're free (which for those who don't know, means they do not charge subscription fees, and that's usually a powerful incentive to give a product a whirl), offer additional content or services that aren't in the real game (I've seen cool customized pets, mass bannings of cheaters, and stellar customer service), and frankly aren't as populated as they're reported to be here.

Finally, Fel would be so popular on its own that threads like these wouldn't exist. We wouldn't need a custom rules shard (because, rest assured that is what this is -- the team would have to rebuild it from scratch to please a vocal minority). The old rules never would have left.

I could go on and on.

I miss the days of Petra, who would do her best to nip these threads in the bud, recognizing that the mere raising of the issue is toxic for the environment here.

I don't expect to post in this thread again because it'd be pointless. The false assertions have been made and I and others have done my best to counter them. Those of you who will continue to make your faith-based posts in the face of all reality.

Finally I note that this thread is great proof of something I pointed out in another thread: That Stratics posters are a way more intense bunch than the game's normal population and that we aren't a representative sample of anything. If "normal" UO players liked the pre-Tram rules we'd still have thm today and this tread wouldn't be here!