• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What to hunt that doesn't require keys?

Vinicius Peres

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
With say a sampire luck suit, either fel or not.
I saw some people saying lurg?
If you are looking for legendary/major artifacts and splintering weapons mostly.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
With say a sampire luck suit, either fel or not.
I saw some people saying lurg?
If you are looking for legendary/major artifacts and splintering weapons mostly.
That does not require keys? You can do the mini champs in abyss, more specifically Devourer and Wyvern as they drop tinker legs. Or you can always hit up champ spawns.

Most things require a bit of prework but sampires can finish that quite easily, unless you’re stretched for time. In that case there is always Navrey. And depending on your skill level and how you play, you always go get yourself clobbered at Slasher.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sampire in doom. Ring the bell for the ferryman without the skull. Kill the skeletal dragon. Bone demon in doom drops nice loot. Need 1000 daemon bones though. Ancient wyrm with high luck produces nice useable loot.

*I've killed a lot of lurgs. Have yet to see a legendary. By a lot I mean literally thousands.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It seems nobody enjoys collecting keys, okay there are probably a few crazy people that do, but on the whole we don't... so someone explain why do we have to collect keys again? Access that takes longer than the Boss is tedious and annoying. :mad:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While I don't particularly care for keys, unless all of these encounters are instanced and I don't realize that, it would sure make for somewhat longer wait lines without keys....I would think ? But I personally would like an alternate solution to them.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
It seems nobody enjoys collecting keys, okay there are probably a few crazy people that do, but on the whole we don't... so someone explain why do we have to collect keys again? Access that takes longer than the Boss is tedious and annoying. :mad:
Ya, not a good thing to gather keys for events. Last month PAS spent a few days getting ready for the nightly events. This month a little bit more of the same. All of our events are open to the public, we meet in Fel at the NJ Bank 8pm CDT S-F, no guild events on Saturdays.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Since keys now last 7 days....

Melisande keys are mind-numbingly easy - just a little slow from having to wait for the dryads to reset. That time, I usually spend killing coil or thrasher (the latter for the leather), though my cu can do hydras, and maybe even abscess itself (but only if nothing else hops in), solo.

Dreadhorn keys are a pain in the rear, though I actually like hunting them. It's usually too much work for a 5-10 minute group fight. my cu's actually beaten guile, irk and spite in a 3 vs. 1 fight (the spiders are the real issue).

After spending the better part of 6 hours trying for parox keys, and fighting the Putrifier for 5+ of them with no key, it's definitely not worth the effort.

Grizzle keys are apparently child's play for my buddy's sampire, not so much for me or others.

Travesty keys are easy if you know what you're doing, but they are worse than Mel's keys in terms of waiting out timers, and drop slowly.

The Roof is painful for other reasons (not the least of which is the devs not having a clue about how that system really worked, and they broke more than they fixed)

Alternatives are fairly straightforward (but you have to be willing to get ToL if you weren't here for it being given out free).
  1. There's non-Fel champ spawns, especially the Dragon Turtle. What high-end new items didn't come from the Roof came from the Turtle.
  2. T-Rex is a fun hunt and has ok loot.
  3. Find a group of non-spawner players. When dealing with non-timer-based key carriers, you can get a lot more if you are farming all of them at once (of course, this doesn't work for Mel, and with Travesty only partially (3 groups of hunters, all waiting out timers)). UO is an MMO, not a single player RPG.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sampire in doom. Ring the bell for the ferryman without the skull. Kill the skeletal dragon. Bone demon in doom drops nice loot. Need 1000 daemon bones though. Ancient wyrm with high luck produces nice useable loot.

*I've killed a lot of lurgs. Have yet to see a legendary. By a lot I mean literally thousands.
I’m skeptical of Lurg as well - killing him in fel with Ok luck suit didn’t seem to make much difference for me

Vinicius Peres

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I know UO is a MMO, but at this point I'm playing it mostly as single player for fun.
I'm from Brazil so its laggy and hours are different from most guilds, I'm EJ so can't do spawns (or can, but won't drop PS so whats the point).
I like hunting stuff solo, I've spent hours on miasma dropping the chests on the ground just for fun, etc.
Are the human invasion npcs on blackthorne worth farming? Do they drop loot other than the arty copies?
If Lurg isn't a viable option what can be? Ancient wyrms? Is it ganked often on felluca?

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like some of the key hunts ,esp the roof. But it would be nicer if they all were giving some rewards and not connected with a boss hunt. On my shard there isnt many guilds so active they fit for newly returned enthusiastic players to join. The ones like mine that are atleast hunting a couple evenings every week get so many people asking to join its impossible to say yes. We are adults and a core old friends not many sampires not all perfectly equipped or scrolled but we do fine. For years we took in returning players gladly, helped with scrolls and gear and took them trough all access quests needed. And helped with other things as well. But most players dont stay after they are up and running. For all sorts of reasons . Jumping to other games or RL things mainly. Sooo time to accept new members. New access quests added ..So the ppl ..Like Shri Nayne here..lose most ppl they friended with and used weeeks to get ready for our guild hunts, and are taking on some new and eventually ends up disillusioned and tired of engaging in this. We got some gems this way, but even more dissapointments. Add to that if you take in too many we cant go to some places as we end up at like 11-13 ppl for a hunt. Some places we can hardly ever go to as its always some people not ready for Roof, Zippy , Ant Queen... .
Its not fun in the long run to not be able to hunt where we want or be able to recruit as much people as we could if we just could take them with us hunting. For now we have to tell all that its better they join other returners and discover the game as we once did. But somehow they prefer to be led by hand and start at the top or they leave. Without access quests and restrictions how many coiuld get in, things would be different. It once was.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yeah the restriction on party size has scuppered many a guild hunt, we sometimes tried splitting into two groups but too often that ended badly because of lack of communication and people in the other group not getting heals when they needed them. I remember a particularly bad time at Doom... :D
As for the guild member problem I think you do it right @Minerva Foxglove, it's better to have fewer decent people than a huge guild full of rabble! :( Personally I have no respect for any guild that is all about quantity over quality, stay as you are!
If people can't even spend a few weeks getting to know you then they probably aren't a good fit anyway. It's hard to get to know people if they won't make any effort.