• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic shard ?

The way i see it is that a classic shard consists of three things, out of the many posts i read

-PVP anywhere, no insurance
-No high intensity armor, no artifacts, etc
-pk vs anti pk community

2/3 of these points can describe siege if siege had more players, and siege is still dead so therefore a classic shard would be as dead as Siege. this is why they arnt going to make a classic shard.

If most of the player base don't like the siege ruleset, what makes anyone think that a classic shard would be popular? makes no sense to me.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way i see it is that a classic shard consists of three things, out of the many posts i read

-pk vs anti pk community

2/3 of these points can describe siege if siege had more players, and siege is still dead so therefore a classic shard would be as dead as Siege. this is why they arnt going to make a classic shard.

If most of the player base don't like the siege ruleset, what makes anyone think that a classic shard would be popular? makes no sense to me.

I do agree Siege fits the bill, I agree it is quiet currently, but then most shards seem quiet, and many are quieter than Siege.

I think more players who are disillusioned with the economy, with the PvP, with the cheating, with how meaningless and easy everything is on production shards should take the plunge and try Siege like I have. Siege could be by far the best shard ruleset and the most fun if it got going.

I do think Siege takes longer to get into, the one character rule, the slow skill gain system, vendors not buying stuff, not being able to get hold of bandages - and having to farm them all make it slow to progress on - I've been here for 1-2 months, and am only just closing in on my 2nd GM skill. You are starting the game again, and it's a long time since many of us did that.
It is harder if you are casual, you do have to grind, and play it up, but if you are a genuine player, there to enjoy it and you get into it, it is more fun.

Last night, I met another new guy from Europa, met a couple of girls and attempted Despise (all of us on very new characters), got PK'd by a couple of PK's, didn't get my armour looted because it was so bad :D Couldn't actually complete the Despise - it's forever since that has happened to me! But it was great for the skillgains anyway. Enjoyed it.

I'd currently recommend Siege over every other shard, especially for returning Vets, who cannot comprehend what has hit them when they try production shards.
And brand new younger players, who want to play the real UO.

Last edited:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you've made a post about what you think a "classic" shard would be.....then given reasons why it wont work.??
…..you basically answered your own post in the same post, thus making said post pointless.

Bait much? :pie:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
it was said before in this thread ... :bdh:

And there is no such thing anyway ... no one can agree on what it would consist of or the "era". Let this die ... again.
True. But regardless of who can agree on which particulat era...I think 99% agree on pre-AoS lol. Let that be a starting point.

If the Devs were serious about a classic shard, my suggestion would be to anonymously tour the freeshards, find the most populated ones, and see what "era" they were representing. That too, will be a good clue.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
There are a few issues with siege,When it originally came out it had this fantastic hard core ruleset (which was not much different than the ruleset at the time)
Except:
  1. No recalling
  2. Everything was x3 the price,
  3. Reds can be in town
  4. No Stat loss
  5. Rot skill gain.

And Siege has stayed true to that... But when Siege came out I died, then I farmed Dragons for two houses collected 1000 hides some gold and then use those hides to make barbed armor, and had armor for a week. I cannot do that in todays UO. One there is not enough people to kill to make up for the loss in armor and two everyone uses different stuff that are not aligned with my template. Most of the pvpers have quit and at best the coolest stuff I can get maybe is an imbued luck suit. They also removed the VvV Faction itmes, Runics are not as disposable as Prodo server, I do not have a pvm character. Because of this siege will never appeal to pvpers so there should be a new server that is created specifically for pvp with pvp ruleset in mind.

They can also make a classic server that is only EC to remove a large portion of scripting

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a few issues with siege,When it originally came out it had this fantastic hard core ruleset (which was not much different than the ruleset at the time)
Except:
  1. No recalling
  2. Everything was x3 the price,
  3. Reds can be in town
  4. No Stat loss
  5. Rot skill gain.

And Siege has stayed true to that... But when Siege came out I died, then I farmed Dragons for two houses collected 1000 hides some gold and then use those hides to make barbed armor, and had armor for a week. I cannot do that in todays UO. One there is not enough people to kill to make up for the loss in armor and two everyone uses different stuff that are not aligned with my template. Most of the pvpers have quit and at best the coolest stuff I can get maybe is an imbued luck suit. They also removed the VvV Faction itmes, Runics are not as disposable as Prodo server, I do not have a pvm character. Because of this siege will never appeal to pvpers so there should be a new server that is created specifically for pvp with pvp ruleset in mind.

They can also make a classic server that is only EC to remove a large portion of scripting
All of this is true. I've played Siege since 2004 and I can tell you it is in dire need of a revamp. The game has evolved, items added, features added, yet the basic Siege ruleset has not kept up. The game has become WAY to gear dependant. Yet, on Siege, you can only have one blessed item. Additionally, clothing cannot be blessed if it has stats. With the rarity of these items, it's not worth the risk of losing gear it took days, weeks, even months of grinding to obtain. It's a full feluccia shard, yet we don't get the resource bump or luck boost.

It's aggravating because it hinders new players, and vets alike, experience when it's not realistic to equip adequate gear to take advantage of the games mechanics.

Finally, the biggest hurdle to advancing Siege is its legacy player base. These players are old nuts that you can't crack and they have the numbers to swing any poll on proposed changes. If you propose a change you'll immediately get pushback because it doesn't fit "their" playstyle. It's unfortunate, but that's the world we live in right now. But i think fundamental changes that benefit all could be supported by every player.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Let’s change our mindset from Dev do to Player do. Can you make a challenge for yourself and others to play in GM crafted armor, not use insurance, make a classic play style only guild and perhaps play on a less populated shard? With shards being so under populated find some like minded people and create your own fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let’s change our mindset from Dev do to Player do. Can you make a challenge for yourself and others to play in GM crafted armor, not use insurance, make a classic play style only guild and perhaps play on a less populated shard? With shards being so under populated find some like minded people and create your own fun.
This might be too close to the subversive deviltry of ArrPee for many PvPers :devil:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya know ... the last time this was suggested in a similar discussion the responses ranged from "but my fun is the champs and the gear is needed" to "but I like raiding the spawn periodically" to "why?"

For the first one, it's obvious that players - and I include my PVM self - have become gear-dependent. A couple of my characters are wearing some decent mods on all-70 suits. It'll hurt to go GM-only. However I think I'll try it ... just for grinz.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter

-pk vs anti pk community

LoL - I think some private servers are set up like that, full period accuracy. Not only do you have all those things you mentioned but y
Ya know ... the last time this was suggested in a similar discussion the responses ranged from "but my fun is the champs and the gear is needed" to "but I like raiding the spawn periodically" to "why?"

For the first one, it's obvious that players - and I include my PVM self - have become gear-dependent. A couple of my characters are wearing some decent mods on all-70 suits. It'll hurt to go GM-only. However I think I'll try it ... just for grinz.

Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with your idea and a lot of people would probably like it but here's why it probably won't happen. World of Warcraft is releasing a classic code server (full vanilla WoW, like it was at release) but they assigned a team of 6 full time Developers to do it. Keep in mind that Blizzard sued the pants off of a popular private shard and has all the code to make it already. What are those six guys doing? Keep in mind that those Devs at WoW, are taking years to make the classic servers ready; so it's a ton of work making sure that the classic server will work with the modern client, fixing bugs, and all that kind of thing. How could we expect a tiny studio like Broadsword to pull off a project like that? I think they have less than 6 people as it is for the whole game.

It's a gargantuan task to make something like that even for one of the biggest, and richest gaming companies. If it's to be, it's up to the player to make it happen by creating our own fun and making our game experience what we want it to be. Sadly, there is just no way to walk back in time and play again in 1998. I wish we could, even if it was just for a day.

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Over the years I've been amazed at what free shards/private servers can do with their own version of the game. There really is all sorts out there, if you added all of this players base together its a fair few people.

Yet we hear the same excuse, the code is too old or not available anymore.

I think EA is missing a BIG trick here, not meaning just classic servers but different styles as well.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
could make a few test center classic shards and copy characters over plus being a test center you could also make new characters by setting skills and stats. or change your skills on copied over characters

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Over the years I've been amazed at what free shards/private servers can do with their own version of the game. There really is all sorts out there, if you added all of this players base together its a fair few people.

Yet we hear the same excuse, the code is too old or not available anymore.

I think EA is missing a BIG trick here, not meaning just classic servers but different styles as well.
The main problem with those freeshards though is stability. Freeshards come and go without warning, and have all the problems we have here plus, bugs you would not believe. Owners and staff can be complete mavericks, tricksters, and rogues, the player bases can be even more prickly and whiny than official servers. I think UO is taking the best ideas from some freeshards and implementing what is proven to work and be popular. A certain server once advertised pet system very similar to the one used now in UO. It's fun to look at the webpages for those shards, their rules, and customization. Most of them are deeply flawed, poorly run, and don't last very long. Even the ones that work, can be there for 8-10 years and then vanish without a trace.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You know i went and played a free shard today it was classic this shiny that no skill cap etc etc etc but i thought to myself even if i "won" UO free shard it just wouldn't matter because its not real....this being said i do wonder why some things are possible there and not in the real UO...

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The main problem with those freeshards though is stability. Freeshards come and go without warning, and have all the problems we have here plus, bugs you would not believe. Owners and staff can be complete mavericks, tricksters, and rogues, the player bases can be even more prickly and whiny than official servers. I think UO is taking the best ideas from some freeshards and implementing what is proven to work and be popular. A certain server once advertised pet system very similar to the one used now in UO. It's fun to look at the webpages for those shards, their rules, and customization. Most of them are deeply flawed, poorly run, and don't last very long. Even the ones that work, can be there for 8-10 years and then vanish without a trace.
HEHHE she said stable and our UO Devs in the same sentence...

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Cymidei - Agree with you regarding the stability of certain servers, although there are some out there a lot better run. To me its just a opportunity that they are missing out on some coin. @Anon McDougle nailed it with its not real, for whatever reason those servers do not have the same feeling.

I'm not saying it will bring players back having a classic server, because I remember those days and it wasn't all roses. But it would be nice to have a different option rather than standard/Seige.

Belmarduk

Adventurer
You know i went and played a free shard today it was classic this shiny that no skill cap etc etc etc but i thought to myself even if i "won" UO free shard it just wouldn't matter because its not real....this being said i do wonder why some things are possible there and not in the real UO...
Yes thats one of the only reasons I still play UO on an official server
What is really sad is how committed the devs on "private servers" can be... after EA had to shut down the last official servers after a few years of the usual EA-cluster****...

How is it possible that devs (working voluntary and in their freetime) manage to balance pvp, repair quite alot of stuff and add lots of well-thought-through stuff in a fairly short time ??? - Something the EA/Mythic idiots did not manage for nealry 5 years.....

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How is it possible that devs (working voluntary and in their freetime) manage to balance pvp, repair quite alot of stuff and add lots of well-thought-through stuff in a fairly short time ??? - Something the EA/Mythic idiots did not manage for nealry 5 years.....
The open source server program that free shards use is organized into easy to read and find classes and typically written in C#. I can't even begin to speculate what the source code for official UO looks like or the language used, but I have heard that it is quite the mess. Essentially, it's the difference between reading a book and reading a book with all of it's pages ripped out and scattered around. I have worked for organizations who have been using spaghetti code for years and it truly does slow development time down by a ton compared to companies that have always written their code using some kind of standard.

I'm not trying to defend the dev team in any way. But it is fairly important to understand the importance of well-organized code and when the original source code was written, organization was not a priority.

Deimos

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is true, but the same could be said for official shards to, who knows when they might decide to pull the plug, there's shards out there that have been around for a decade or more.
I ran a small one for a short period and it was a lot of fun, the potential to make it something big, is limitless, even with zero coding knowledge there's so many things you can add, change or remove with ease.
The ability to sell or rent buildings in towns, giving guilds large pieces of land to build their own towns on, the list of things freeshards can do that official ones take decades to add, is quite literally endless.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Id be very happy to see a classic server reborn, however there are a few things for me that need to be done in order to see some stability in the market.

1.) EC only(I’ve never played EC but currently with the programs out there not much will change from the pvp aspect, just a bunch of people quick targeting.

2.) Indepth Crafting System. Id say look at albinos crafting system and go from there.

3.) No mounts( People are too fast now) mounts should not be needed for pvp or pvm.

4.) Unique loot

5.) Sell All the event items at the UO store (people love pixle crack)

6.) Create an Organized PVP battle ground, (which rewards/titles)

7.) Able to train Wolves, bears and other pets just as strong as WW or Dragons.

8.) Auction House.

9.) PvP dungeons and PVM dungeons. PvP dungeons more drops higher end drops. Plus crafting supplies in these dungeons.

10.) Scale HP stats and keep scaling them up.

The issue with classic uo is it gets stale after a year. So you need to keep tweaking things updating things and keeping the players involved in everything, so more people continue to play. So we start off with x a 120 cap on skills and 25 stat then the next year or season increase the skill point cap and stat caps. Soo people continue to farm scrolls, and newer armor.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I played UOR, and it was great but it got boring once everyone got powerscrolls.. soo things slow down after 6 months lol... every popular game has new items/content/items that keep people involved.
This is called a CLASSIC SHARD thread and almost everybody agrees that that is at least pre AoS, I my self would like to see it all go back pre PUB-16 and bring back the 7xGM.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This is called a CLASSIC SHARD thread and almost everybody agrees that that is at least pre AoS, I my self would like to see it all go back pre PUB-16 and bring back the 7xGM.
yeah but how long did that go on for long

1.) 1997- UO came out

2.) 1998 T2a came out,

3.) 2000 UOR- special moves on weapons

4.) 2002-Pub 16 new stats new scrolls

5.) 2003- AOS

6.) 2004- Samurai Empire

7.) 2005- ML.

I feel after that is when the decline started, and that was due to lack of content so as i said you need to keep improving your game and if you leave a classic server for like 2 years it will die off.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yeah but how long did that go on for long

1.) 1997- UO came out

2.) 1998 T2a came out,

3.) 2000 UOR- special moves on weapons

4.) 2002-Pub 16 new stats new scrolls

5.) 2003- AOS

6.) 2004- Samurai Empire

7.) 2005- ML.

I feel after that is when the decline started, and that was due to lack of content so as i said you need to keep improving your game and if you leave a classic server for like 2 years it will die off.
Pre AoS UO subs were estimated to be 350K and started to decline after the itemization of UO known as AoS.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thats because WOW came out and everquest.
Maybe yes maybe no but IMHO is if UO stayed pre AoS then people would have tried those new games and more would have returned to UO. New games come and go and here we still stand.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Maybe yes maybe no but IMHO is if UO stayed pre AoS then people would have tried those new games and more would have returned to UO. New games come and go and here we still stand.
yeah but sandbox mmo is a failure system as it is and has been, shadowbane, mortal online, darkfall, albion all open world full pvp and all of them have failed hard

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yeah but sandbox mmo is a failure system as it is and has been, shadowbane, mortal online, darkfall, albion all open world full pvp and all of them have failed hard
We have to be doing something right then because we are still here.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I have a 16 year old cat, we love him dearly, he is a bit deaf and has arthritis in his back legs, he is also sometimes quite grumpy with my other cats, yes he is still here, but he's not what he once was....

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I have a 16 year old cat, we love him dearly, he is a bit deaf and has arthritis in his back legs, he is also sometimes quite grumpy with my other cats, yes he is still here, but he's not what he once was....
Yes but he still thinks he is a young kitten, he still goofs around, has a little fun, arthritis and all, pain and all.
Plus, most importantly, you have 16 great years with him, and also you love him very much.. He is part of your life.. Similarly to our beloved uo? Somewhat..

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yeah he has his moments, but you get the idea, mostly people stick with UO or return to UO because of nostalgia, but how many of us can say there is nothing at all that we find frustrating or annoying?

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah he has his moments, but you get the idea, mostly people stick with UO or return to UO because of nostalgia, but how many of us can say there is nothing at all that we find frustrating or annoying?
We'd rather the old cat back, not a robot with no soul. ;)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think things have been going downhill for a long time, we do occasionally get something we all love, but more often changes just seem to make things worse. The slope has been so gradual that we all just grumbled and then got on with it. AoS just seemed to remove the need for community, we used to all visit the Smith for repairs, it was nice to meet up and chat a bit while you waited, I honestly think that it ripped the soul from the game when we no longer needed to rely on others. Like in real life people become less close as more and more is automated and technology moves on, people become isolated. If I could go back to UO before AoS I would, in a heartbeat!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think things have been going downhill for a long time, we do occasionally get something we all love, but more often changes just seem to make things worse. The slope has been so gradual that we all just grumbled and then got on with it. AoS just seemed to remove the need for community, we used to all visit the Smith for repairs, it was nice to meet up and chat a bit while you waited, I honestly think that it ripped the soul from the game when we no longer needed to rely on others. Like in real life people become less close as more and more is automated and technology moves on, people become isolated. If I could go back to UO before AoS I would, in a heartbeat!
:danceb::banana::danceb::banana::danceb::party::);):D:thumbsup::thumbup1: