• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So no more dev posts since the official forum launch?

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I noticed since the official uo forums were opened, there doesn't appear to be any developer posts since.

That's sad, I can't be the only one who can't stand the official uo forums compared to the software Stratics uses.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i went and had a look, didnt like it, wondered back over here.
took me all of about 5 minutes.
i must admit im a little queezy about logging in with my game stuff in case i go off on someone.
here at least its not tied to my accounts.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I noticed since the official uo forums were opened, there doesn't appear to be any developer posts since.

That's sad, I can't be the only one who can't stand the official uo forums compared to the software Stratics uses.
You are not alone...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

It seems they log in here for reporting news/updates etc.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
To be fair Kyronix does post fairly regularly, as for the others, well I didn't really expect anything else to be honest.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shocking thing for me is that on another old game I play (Istaria) the devs are always active on discord to answer questions and discuss ideas ect, all whilst working on the game (latest delta would embarrass the poxy bug fix publish of UO) and the main thing is they are all Volunteers.
I'd love to know if the UO devs are full time paid by UO (Broadsword) or if it's part time hobby......because to me the effort and quality of work they put in is "part time hobby".
Only the new artists are paid contractors and you can tell, quality work by them, then only to be implemented sub par into the game by the devs (jewellery table)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shocking thing for me is that on another old game I play (Istaria) the devs are always active on discord to answer questions and discuss ideas ect, all whilst working on the game (latest delta would embarrass the poxy bug fix publish of UO) and the main thing is they are all Volunteers.
I'd love to know if the UO devs are full time paid by UO (Broadsword) or if it's part time hobby......because to me the effort and quality of work they put in is "part time hobby".
Only the new artists are paid contractors and you can tell, quality work by them, then only to be implemented sub par into the game by the devs (jewellery table)
Didn't you see that leaked screenshot from Bonnie in Slack with all the EMs? Kindergarden much I tell you. So much wasted time but well :bdh:. I call it busywork.

"Last I looked I was the dang boss here, I make and break the rules" :lol:

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the interesting part is with the exception of kyronix, I dont see the others really posting on the official forum either. Not to mention the number of posts to that forum has dropped off considerably after its initial launch. Most the posts now are mervyns posts that tend to get locked rather quickly :D

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the interesting part is with the exception of kyronix, I dont see the others really posting on the official forum either. Not to mention the number of posts to that forum has dropped off considerably after its initial launch. Most the posts now are mervyns posts that tend to get locked rather quickly :D
But with his amazing persistence, he still gets the developers' ears more often than not :/

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But with his amazing persistence, he still gets the developers' ears more often than not :/
That says more about the devs decision making than it does him. A good leader will listen to all suggestions and then decide which are good and which are not.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
While it does speak to the decision making, it also speaks the content when you frequent have people competing to see who can get a post in before it’s locked :giggle:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Being banned from the forums doesn't affect your game account currently.

I prefer the official forums because of the following:

• I don't have to keep changing the page style from stratics blue steet so i can read it (I'm quite old and can't see well)
  • don't have to scroll down past all the sticky threads
  • They're a lot more liberal with speech, there are many things i've posted on the official forums that I would be banned for on these, I often find I can't even defend my reputation on these forums as not allowed to discuss moderator actions when moderators here have a pop at my so called reputation. Also, the moderators on the official forum are also fairly hot on the personal attacks and remove them which is nice. I have to say these stratics forums have become a lot more liberal with speech ever since they're no longer the official forums however I won't forget the way I was treated when they were the official forums so still carry quite the grudge.
Yeah those 7 stickys are such a pain. :rolleyes:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh and i forgot, the other thing that is better about the official forum is there is no like button.

Like buttons on this forum are mainly just used to troll. For example I will post a comment containing facts. The usual people will post a comment below that is basically a personal attack. The usual people hit like on that comment.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
oh and i forgot, the other thing that is better about the official forum is there is no like button.

Like buttons on this forum are mainly just used to troll. For example I will post a comment containing facts. The usual people will post a comment below that is basically a personal attack. The usual people hit like on that comment.
You know, if at some point you think everyone is crazy or everyone is out to get you. Maybe its you.
I'm just saying.

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Damn, I already feel bad for my post now, apologies to you, Mervyn. We are not adequately acquainted for me to think making such silly comments could be received in friendly jest.

I do look forward to more posts from you :)

Regarding the thread topic... well, it's a shame their participation has waned.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
You can keep using the "official forums" ALL you like. Stratics is not just a forum. It is a priceless resource, as it always has been, a useful database of priceless information for old and new players. It is also well-moderated. Personal attacks are a negative for the entire community, and do not contribute anything but negativity and darkness. And as for readability, Stratics is far better. The stickies are REQUESTED by posters as giving valuable info that needs to stay visible at all times, and easily accessible. The "official" forums are just a toy compared to Stratics. Apples and Oranges comparison. The Devs of UO should continue to support Stratics in my opinion.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have posted over there and had a response from the dev, as usual it just got spun and never directly answered or fixed. I guess I’m not waving my :cheerleader: hard enough to get a real answer and issue fixed.

Stratics is so much better. I do not like posting or responding over there at all.

It seems as if they all had some sort of disagreement/ falling out of sorts.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have posted over there and had a response from the dev, as usual it just got spun and never directly answered or fixed. I guess I’m not waving my :cheerleader: hard enough to get a real answer and issue fixed.

Stratics is so much better. I do not like posting or responding over there at all.

It seems as if they all had some sort of disagreement/ falling out of sorts.
To me it looks like it's the new place for them to get free beta testers. If you engage in TC1 and do the free testing for them, you will get feedback. Beyond that it's as meh as it was here.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They also give the same answers on the official forums as they did here, non committal but I guess people forgot that. Also IMHO UOStratics has allowed more UO/DEV bashing after UO made their forum, now I wounder why.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Devs had almost quit posting here quite a while before the official forums opened up. And I believe if they thought they could get away with it, they wouldnt post there either lol.

Everything with UO seems to be secret, and they begrudgingly communicate with us at all.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And when they do it is cryptic.
Hence the second line in my sig...Just like pulling teeth to find anything out.

"Did yall lower the loots in T-chests?" they said no. Then Kyronix admitted when new stuff comes out, they "adjust things" to encourage people to play the new stuff.

How many points does it take to make the Christmas trees full grown where everyone gets a gift? answer was something like " It's based on bank points, so turning in large bods which have more bank points whill make it go faster". No **** Sherlock. But it didn't answer the question at all.

And on and on and on

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I still have Zero intention of posting over there so I honestly don't care.

I didn't figure they would say much there or here... @Kyronix is generally the only one that posts much of anything... @Bleak will if it's something that pertains to what he does and maybe I think Kyroix probably points it out to him.

Otherwise, I never had any dreams that an "official" forum would be any different than this one. Personally, I prefer this one.

Though at this point there is very little in UO keeping my interest. Grinding in UO is boring and often unrewarding. EM Events were once fun but now more of an effort in frustration and annoyance anymore. Trying to deal with things that don't work, waiting around for things to happen and dealing with boss mobs that are overly complex annoying and just futile most of the time. When the lag is so bad that it's hard to even move it really sucks to have the boss constantly dropping those pools you can't stand in when you can't move out of them to save your life. Used up at least 2 of the Undertakers Staffs because of that... and if it isn't that it's the crimson dragons fire fields you can't escape. For me, that's not really "fun"... couple that with if I'm forced into the EC basic to just manage to not crash constantly or to get bars working... then I find that looting is far too annoying to bother with .... and really if you aren't able to loot anything, can't do much to follow the story and your constantly freezing up and dying .... it kinda takes all the "fun" out of the game.

Rather like grinding out spawn after spawn, getting chased out of spawns (I refuse to cheat to PvP not that a tamer can do any PvP damage anyway)... Just to get crap scrolls that you can't use on pets and no one wants... without the ability to get scrolls you desire and need to work on pets the pet revamp has come to an end for me... Just not paying the insane and ridiculous prices for scrolls or anything for that matter.

Much else that I once enjoyed IMO generates too much junk which I feel the need to keep for some reason hoping one day it'll either be useful or worth enough points to make it worthwhile to throw away or something not that there is anything in the Spring Clean anymore worth getting... Don't want to fish or thunt anymore as it just generates too much crap that I'd have to either store or throw and if you are just fishing up/digging up the stuff to just thow away and nothing is worth keeping or selling then why do it?

Not much left in the game to enjoy...

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Everything with UO seems to be secret, and they begrudgingly communicate with us at all.
I notice it's always been that way, even since the MyUO forum days, it's such a weird and hostile way of doing things.
You'd think we were trying to ask for their bank account numbers and sort codes
I could sort of understand it if UO was the only MMO out, like back in the very early days, where they didn't want to give up secrets and such, but now, in the 21st century? Odd.
But on the other hand, maybe that's how they like doing it, because it creates a situation where you have a small clique/groupees who (As another poster said) wave pom poms around to get into that special group with she-who-shall-not-be-naMed, who as most know, loves the attention.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Hitting like allows you to see updates to the thread, or did you not know that ? And I'm not impressed by the official forums, I don't like any of the moderators, they're too quick to close a thread instead of dealing with the idiots that ruin them .

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hence the second line in my sig...Just like pulling teeth to find anything out.

"Did yall lower the loots in T-chests?" they said no. Then Kyronix admitted when new stuff comes out, they "adjust things" to encourage people to play the new stuff.

How many points does it take to make the Christmas trees full grown where everyone gets a gift? answer was something like " It's based on bank points, so turning in large bods which have more bank points whill make it go faster". No **** Sherlock. But it didn't answer the question at all.

And on and on and on
Yeah Kyronix' answer regarding how luck works on this and that but not this, left me feeling more than justified with my feelings that it's a placebo system.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We can only blame ourselves for the answers we get from the DEVs because every time they say anything remotely like a yes and they find out it can't be done the playerbase goes off on them for not doing what they said they were going to try and do. Why should they even sound like they might think about doing something when we as players take it that it is written in stone that they are going to do it and then get pissed when it does not get done. IMHO I wouldn't say **** to the player base when alls they hear is **** from us.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hitting like allows you to see updates to the thread, or did you not know that ? And I'm not impressed by the official forums, I don't like any of the moderators, they're too quick to close a thread instead of dealing with the idiots that ruin them .
I underlined what you said and totally agree I thought it was just me, I don’t know any of the mods there so no offense, but they all seem like rookies compared to here.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don’t understand why they The UO Team wasted resources, time and energy on that forum. They could have spent the money here and had a far superior forum WITH all the knowledge of stratics and its MODS. What a waste total waste imho.

Just onther bad decision after bad decisions.

:coco:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don’t understand why they The UO Team wasted resources, time and energy on that forum. They could have spent the money here and had a far superior forum WITH all the knowledge of stratics and its MODS. What a waste total waste imho.

While we see this as simple and easy and yes I agree... However a certain someone on the DEV team who shall-not-be-naMed... is an extreme type A personality and cannot have things not directly under thumb and scrutiny... and most importantly CONTROL. Micromanaged...

Which has been obvious from any and every video from the team for YEARS.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We can only blame ourselves for the answers we get from the DEVs because every time they say anything remotely like a yes and they find out it can't be done the playerbase goes off on them for not doing what they said they were going to try and do. Why should they even sound like they might think about doing something when we as players take it that it is written in stone that they are going to do it and then get pissed when it does not get done. IMHO I wouldn't say **** to the player base when alls they hear is **** from us.

Not buying into this thinking. for one thing, they overpromise and underdeliver on sooo much stuff over the last few years. And no matter what we ask for, we get what they want us to get. Examples:

Do away with checks. CAn't be done.
Make gold in bank available to all chars on the shard-can't be done. Whoop! Dere it is! As soon as they decided they wanted to do it, it was possible.
And now the previously impossible "make turnin points available to all chars" is possible...

And the laughable bug fix publish...all that time spent jacking with Shadowguard programming (which few other then Mervyn, had a problem with) instead of fixing real bugs...and n9ow they are backing out some of the Shadowguard changes due to public outcry.

And not for one minute do I believe that it would be super hard to add Powerscrolls to non Fel spawns...the main issue is they don't want to piss off the cartel that controls most of them. Perish the thought that the common ordinary everyday player should be able to get these by PvM. There is talk of making some Pet Only PSs, really? That is creating a whole new subsystem, and would be easier than just adding existing content to Tram rulesets? that's batcake crazy talk. But they will invest time to do that instead of PS in tram, to protect the monopoly.

They can do what they WANT to do. It is after all, their game. We pay for it, we support it, but it is theirs.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And the laughable bug fix publish...all that time spent jacking with Shadowguard programming (which few other then Mervyn, had a problem with) instead of fixing real bugs...and n9ow they are backing out some of the Shadowguard changes due to public outcry.
And you can add into these "bug fixes" that didnt fix bugs but did damage the normal everyday player...random ore, random wood, poorly thought out and implemented BoD points, (don';t get me wrong, I love the system, but it needs some serious tweaking). There's more, I just can't think of them yet.

Add: The changes to idoc times that silly 5-10-15 thing. Only benefitted scripters, since the normal player cannot sit at the computer 15 hours.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO has had a multitude of failures for many years though, they've wasted and continue to waste a ton of subscribers money on failed or poorly implemented ventures.

I can't say I know of any other game, mmo or otherwise, who have released 3 different clients, none of which have taken off.

But it's always been that way with UO, and no matter who's in charge (sadly the current producer, imo, is the worst), they keep spending time and money on all the wrong things.

Can you imagine how awesome UO would be right now, if they'd spent the money wasted on 3 clients, on a completely new, high res 2D client?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's gonna be ok though cos they just announced they are adding Keeps back into the mix for New Castle designs.
And we all know nothing could possibly go wrong with that new system.....:mf_prop:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be fair, Hi Res didn't exist when 1 of the clients was attempted and certainly wasn't in most peoples price range for 2.
As for the 3rd....well that's a discussion that still rages on today. ;)

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Half the time when they posted it seemed that they didn't understand the impact of their actions on the game. It's a shame that Bonnie and crew felt it was better to ignore rather than engage with the most passionate of the player base and thus be able to receive fair input. It's also true that a fair amount of us here, myself certainly included, are total dickwads and came across as such.

I can't blame them for the total move, the forums there are for paying customers only and they can control the people posting. For those of us who continue to sub yet don't play the forum is a waste of time as no good conversation has really struck up there and the hope that a change for the better is seemingly done with.

I don't think I have seen a real thread there with 100+ replies, some close but it is a indication this dinosaur is done, bummer.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

That really confused me too. When we bought Stratics it cost about $15,000 total, and the devs could have gotten it for about $12,000 due to us not bidding against them if they wanted it. We actually reached out to them and told them the site was up for auction, but they had no interest in it.

Then they spent months building a forum that has like 1% of the capabilities Stratics does, and almost certainly spent a lot more than Stratics would have cost when you figure in the combined salary cost of all the devs spending time building and testing the forum. It really made no sense at all.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That really confused me too. When we bought Stratics it cost about $15,000 total, and the devs could have gotten it for about $12,000 due to us not bidding against them if they wanted it. We actually reached out to them and told them the site was up for auction, but they had no interest in it.

Then they spent months building a forum that has like 1% of the capabilities Stratics does, and almost certainly spent a lot more than Stratics would have cost when you figure in the combined salary cost of all the devs spending time building and testing the forum. It really made no sense at all.
Spending more money for an inferior product... they have a future in government when the day comes for UO to shut down :)

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having a feature where only paying players could post was worth the effort.

They can ignore anyone here, like they did anyways. They managed to get this site to block nearly any deep discussion on other UO worlds for years and are continuing to do the same over there. If you don't fanboy you don't get the time of day.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I would much rather the volunteers run Stratics than EA/Broadsword though, wouldn't you? :p
Regarding the official forums, it's pure speculation/conspiracy theory, but I'm sure it's no coincidence that as soon as key, long term members of the Stratics staff base left in that last dispute, Mesanna cut back on her posting drastically (Except to make those last two antagonistic replies to peoples concerns.).
Shortly thereafter (in terms of development/setting up a new site), the official forums were announced, then launched.
UO really does need new leadership.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The reliance on being the official non official forum was stupid.

My two cents.
I'd say yes and no, having a third party act as their unofficial forums saved them a ton of money in the long run (how many years now? 10+?)
Now they've opened their own forums, at least some of UO's budget is now going towards the unnecessary official forums.
So really UO is worse off now than before.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hard to argue that fact in UO is far worse off now. Lost all the information and people that this place has, disaster in the making for sure.

I think that the reliance that stratics had on UO was a mistake, or having to tow the line without, seemingly, fail was a mistake. People felt this place was unfair and a mini dictatorship but was the best place to still come and gather information.

Like I said earlier, the lack of open discussion on PvP, UO servers, duping, exploits and other player related concerns killed the goose.

I would note that I did appreciate all the hard work that the volunteers did here. For all the poor words I might have used over these years most of those people were decent.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think I remember that one, 2011?
Definitely one of the most uncomfortable videos I've watched, you could cut the tension with a knife.