• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need Recipe BOOKS - please for heavens sake!!!!

Need Recipe BOOKS - please for heavens sake!!!!

• OMG YES!!

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • Nah

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Need Searchable Recipe BOOKS - please for heavens sake!!!!

( can use the format of the original Bod Books if need be )

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you sell them, I could see a purpose to store them. Otherwise, how many crafters do you plan on making to need so many? I get saving some for potential future guildmates and friends, but I think once a recipe is no longer obtainable through the gift, That a quest could be implemented for it, or a drop like the 3 tiered cake one.

I did have a thought of someone wanting to make a character with a holiday name and make a few items. I have a sword crafted by Ultima Online and a few things by Santa Claus, but that would be a lot of work to make a whole new char and raise the skill.

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
to Gidge - in answer to that when they released the new bods -
everyone & their brother were making tons of crafters...
Just like when they added the ability to add power scrolls to pets-
people made more tamers- having up to 42 stable slots didn't hurt any either

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Gidge Boo!

I have no Fletcher or inscriber yet and one carpenter got lazy at 90 so I have a bunch in a chest. Since I get a colored plant from the wheelbarrow each week. I need more space!

We all don't have 2 castles like you.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pawain

I only have one! Do you need to be a certain level before you can eat the recipes?

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
to Gidge - in answer to that when they released the new bods -
everyone & their brother were making tons of crafters...
Just like when they added the ability to add power scrolls to pets-
people made more tamers- having up to 42 stable slots didn't hurt any either
I see what you are saying... I never use heartwood to work up any skills.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess I just don't understand why people are hoarding a consumable item to the extent that they need a mass storage solution.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
To be honest I either eat them right away or trash them, I only have one crafter, do they sell on vendors or something? I don't see why people would want to store them.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's the thing.

Sure, once you use a recipe, you don't need that recipe anymore for that character.

BUT.....

• If you ever soulstone the skill to a different character, all those recipes stay with the original character.
  • A bunch of recipes have now been done as anniversary or holiday gifts.
  • Then there's the ones that are event/boss drops, and the ones requiring quests (you can get the bone machete recipe as a scroll from T-maps, instead of having to do the quest - and, if they didn't fix the drop code, T-maps were the only way to get the "Stone Anvil(east)" recipe).
  • There are many of us who collect the recipes to share with new crafters (Tamais, El of LA, & I, along with our friends, run a "New Player Center" on Lake Austin SPECIFICALLY for helping out new arrivals and returnees - and others do the same on other shards). Storage quickly becomes an issue.
  • If you're going to play multiple shards, it's a hell of a lot easier to collect recipes with your finished crafter, then send them over to the new shard to be used there, than trying to earn them all on the new character on a shard you have practically nothing on.
I'm sure people can add to this list, but these are most of the basics as to why a recipe book would be useful. It would only need a simplified version of the BOD Book code (Where the only sort tools would be the skill required).

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted Yes,
I dont know what recepies my crafter has eaten, ha had some UOML ones 10years ago, some Time of Legends ones now, some gift recepies in between.
Just like that latest recepie added to the game "picknic basket" if they gonna continue to add more recepies a book would be really good.
It should display the name of recepie and the required skill.

The crafting tool is a mess today with things to craft and some requires recepie some not.

I see 3 main advantages with the recepie book:
1: The crafter knows what recepies he know.
2: a book like powerscrolls/transcandance makes it easy to take one scroll out for sale or to eat.
3: xfering from shard to shard

br
psycho

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Recipe books would be nice... it would be even better if the recipes made useful things though. (This means, it doesn't really matter if they add a recipe book or not - so they probably will)

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
we need something for all the mage/necro/myst/sw/rune/mastery books before a recipe book which I would support.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A book for storing masteries would only be useful if they actually make the things combinable to create better ones. As it is, even level IIs are so common that they are dropped on the ground (most level Is never leave the spawn site, and the IIs and a the remaining Is end up on the ground around moongates or in Luna), at least on my shard. Without at least a promise of a future ability to scrollbind them, keeping all those level I & II masteries is a fool's errand. I've done hundreds of champs that drop masteries, and have gotten maybe 5-6 level IIIs (only 1 of which I needed), and the other other III I've used, I was given.

A book for books, though? That's being silly. I was surprised that they didn't stick another book into the paperdoll for masteries (or alter the one that is for special moves), and went with a physical book. If you're talking about a bag to put spellbooks in, that allows the books to function without cluttering the main backpack (and doesn't pop the books out when you die), I understand, but think there's a better way of doing it.

The better way to handle spell/mastery books would be to add 4-6 slots to the CC & EC paperdoll that act as a "book bag". They act as the top level of the backpack, but might not count as items (nor do they count as equipped for purposes of their additional properties). If you click on one of them, it opens. Double-click, and it pops to your hand; non-books in the weapon hand are disarmed, but if both are books they swap locations. Dragging books to and from the bar would work normally. This probably wouldn't be hard to code. The only downside is for those so paranoid they try to carry all their slayer books at once. (seriously, if you know where you're going, you should only need 2 or 3 slayers, max, and keep the rest in your bank or house). I have enough clutter in my pack with Spellweaving, mysticism, magery (plus another in my hand - one for SDI, another the most appropriate slayer) and mastery books. I used to carry a chiv book for emergencies before I realized I didn't really need it anymore, and a necro book for scribing (now only when actually, you know, making necro scrolls).

Rune Books, on the other hand, already have a solution in Rune Atlases. For one of my mains, I combined 10 rune books (some of which were half-full, or had old dead runes to things like guild houses from a decade ago that I didn't need to carry anymore) I had into 3 atlases with room to spare (then sorted all the junk runes into piles either to be reused, or dropped into one of the emptied rune books as "historical locations"). I've already filled a couple of runebook BODs with books that I've emptied that didn't have sentimental value (i.e. weren't exceptional with a name marked).

One Atlas is my personal runes (which includes all the fishmongers), with about 12 slots still open.
A second is an Atlas that goes to every dungeon entrance accessible by spell.
A third is at least one rune to every city (and the entrance tunnels to those that can't be recalled to), with a bunch of extra runes added for special locations. For example, Moonglow has runes for both the bank and the Lyceaum (and to the Papua portal, for Fel Moonglow - Tram Papua has its own rune); Britain's to the banks and to the building where our EM events usually start (which is right outside Castle Blackthorn).

I could drop Britain and Luna runes back into the first book, and not need the other two at all, most days.

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was never about book for book etc - this is ONLY for GETTING Them to give out the RECIPE BOOKS as has been promised .. sorry some people misunderstood

so all the below was for nothing and should be in another area
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A book for storing masteries would only be useful if they actually make the things combinable to create better ones. As it is, even level IIs are so common that they are dropped on the ground (most level Is never leave the spawn site, and the IIs and a the remaining Is end up on the ground around moongates or in Luna), at least on my shard. Without at least a promise of a future ability to scrollbind them, keeping all those level I & II masteries is a fool's errand. I've done hundreds of champs that drop masteries, and have gotten maybe 5-6 level IIIs (only 1 of which I needed), and the other other III I've used, I was given.

A book for books, though? That's being silly. I was surprised that they didn't stick another book into the paperdoll for masteries (or alter the one that is for special moves), and went with a physical book. If you're talking about a bag to put spellbooks in, that allows the books to function without cluttering the main backpack (and doesn't pop the books out when you die), I understand, but think there's a better way of doing it.

The better way to handle spell/mastery books would be to add 4-6 slots to the CC & EC paperdoll that act as a "book bag". They act as the top level of the backpack, but might not count as items (nor do they count as equipped for purposes of their additional properties). If you click on one of them, it opens. Double-click, and it pops to your hand; non-books in the weapon hand are disarmed, but if both are books they swap locations. Dragging books to and from the bar would work normally. This probably wouldn't be hard to code. The only downside is for those so paranoid they try to carry all their slayer books at once. (seriously, if you know where you're going, you should only need 2 or 3 slayers, max, and keep the rest in your bank or house). I have enough clutter in my pack with Spellweaving, mysticism, magery (plus another in my hand - one for SDI, another the most appropriate slayer) and mastery books. I used to carry a chiv book for emergencies before I realized I didn't really need it anymore, and a necro book for scribing (now only when actually, you know, making necro scrolls).

Rune Books, on the other hand, already have a solution in Rune Atlases. For one of my mains, I combined 10 rune books (some of which were half-full, or had old dead runes to things like guild houses from a decade ago that I didn't need to carry anymore) I had into 3 atlases with room to spare (then sorted all the junk runes into piles either to be reused, or dropped into one of the emptied rune books as "historical locations"). I've already filled a couple of runebook BODs with books that I've emptied that didn't have sentimental value (i.e. weren't exceptional with a name marked).

One Atlas is my personal runes (which includes all the fishmongers), with about 12 slots still open.
A second is an Atlas that goes to every dungeon entrance accessible by spell.
A third is at least one rune to every city (and the entrance tunnels to those that can't be recalled to), with a bunch of extra runes added for special locations. For example, Moonglow has runes for both the bank and the Lyceaum (and to the Papua portal, for Fel Moonglow - Tram Papua has its own rune); Britain's to the banks and to the building where our EM events usually start (which is right outside Castle Blackthorn).

I could drop Britain and Luna runes back into the first book, and not need the other two at all, most days.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Need Searchable Recipe BOOKS - please for heavens sake!!!!

( can use the format of the original Bod Books if need be )
Long overdue. A deed book would also be nice. I went buck wild on those damn heritage tokens back in the day and I have bags full of deeded 2x2 carpets and red table cloth tables and the like heh.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This was never about book for book etc - this is ONLY for GETTING Them to give out the RECIPE BOOKS as has been promised .. sorry some people misunderstood

so all the below was for nothing and should be in another area
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Perhaps you should read your own thread more. Someone was replying to you and downplaying the need to store recipes, claiming that storing piles of level 1 Masteries was FAR more important than recipes. I was telling them they were wrong and why.