• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need some help with Chiv/Tamer

can anybody please give me a breakdown on how a chiv tamer should be built?

stats, skills (the number they need to be at), what kind of gear/artifacts, and what kind of jewelry, and if the build needs + to skill

i would really appreciate it if anybody could help! its for my grandpa lol

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
imo the build is VERY dependent on +skill jewls and equipment. So much so that my chiv/archer/tamer still uses those "Arms of Tactical Excellence" just for the +tactics they carry and "Stitchers Mitts" for the healing and "Hunters Headress" for the Archery...

Chiv - 80
Tame - 120
Lore - 110
Vet - 100
Healing - 85
Anat - 120
Tactics - 120
Archery - 120

with a total of 850+ skill points. The high skill points needed for the temp has gotten a lot easier since Legendary pieces have hit. As well as being able to find great pieces to go along with the gear I mentioned above in order to still have a great suit.

The only down side to the temp is no real ranged heal... which is why I generally play my Mage/SW/Tamer these days.. especially with the nerfs they did to leeches from bows.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What weapon skill?

Dexxers are much more expensive than mages.

My Archer:

upload_2018-7-20_18-9-1.png

upload_2018-7-20_18-11-51.png

with a total of 850+ skill points.
Daaamnn I cant get that many.

I miss healing and invising.

@Khyro and @Caitlyn Snow Made him. Thanks to both of them. I love it.

I reserve higher Anat and Tactics for pets to eat.
I can run consume for 2 minutes. Forever with a slayer bow with mana leech.
Has 60% HLD chance.
I need a studded gorget. My leather one is stat filled.

They would have to go into the details of why this vs that.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
What weapon skill?
The only way to go imho is Archery on a chiv tamer. IF you want to tackle the higher end mobs that is. Most of the higher end things have those area effect spells that kill you and the pet, and some even have a "switch target" deal to where the Mob starts whacking on the tamer instead of the meat shield.

Daaamnn I cant get that many.

I miss healing and invising.
The +skill thing is really easy to raise, but you have to take a hit on other mods (hci etc) and with the dropping dura on jewls you have to keep an eye out for the ones which tie into the temp regularly. Last time I checked I had 3 braces and 2 additional legends in reserve for when the current ones give out.

I also carry Invis pots and have a macro set to swap to invis items if needed. Granted the invis items can be difficult to find at time.

well, hes a swords user. i told him the best way for him to go is to forever and always use a cu sidhe so the cu can heal him, and he heals the cu with vet.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only way to go imho is Archery on a chiv tamer.
Someday I would like to build a Swords the same way. If I need, I can get a pet with Battle defense.

well, hes a swords user. i told him the best way for him to go is to forever and always use a cu sidhe so the cu can heal him, and he heals the cu with vet.
A lot of pets can get battle defense that reduces damage to the tamer by 50%. You have to get wrestling to 100 before it shows up. All the horses can get it and it does not cost a lot, so the pet can have plenty of HP.

Good Luck! Keep us posted.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Someday I would like to build a Swords the same way. If I need, I can get a pet with Battle defense.
Have tried about every weapon skill on that tamer (he has 120 cap in all wep skill but mace lol) and I was really hoping the "As One" would make it viable to be a close range melee but it still left a little to be desired. Now I have actually thought about leaving the swords on him and making him a slight "Sampire Tamer" hybrid build.. but have yet to play around with the temp yet to see which would be beneficial to drop/add etc... have an inclination that IF I can find the right jewls that temp would be a formidable one, especially if the "As One" can stay active due to the mana drain.

May take some time in the next couple of weeks to play around with it again though.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some of my characters, ranging from Miner/smith/macers to Tamer/bards, have 820-860 skill points.

My main tamer used to be over 850, but I decided to take his real taming to 120. So, he's back under 840 again.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Some of my characters, ranging from Miner/smith/macers to Tamer/bards, have 820-860 skill points.

My main tamer used to be over 850, but I decided to take his real taming to 120. So, he's back under 840 again.
The intensity of tamer masteries depends on 120 Taming only or both 120 taming and 120 Lore?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Been replacing jewelry taming and lore with vet. Been slow going getting up to 120, for those last steps. Most of the time nothing happens using mastery - even when I should get a GGS gain.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
This is by far my favourite Tamer template, it's the 4/6 Chiv/Vamp Form with a melee skill. Template is:

110 Tame
110 Lore
100 Vet
120 Swords (if Human), 120 Mace (if Gargoyle)
90 Tactics
90 Chivalry
100 Necro

No skill items needed but if you want to you can to boost Tactics or Chiv or both, re-balancing them how you see fit. (You could also optionally change Chiv for Spirit Speak and use Wraith Form/Curse Weapon/Corpse Skin.) Very easy and amazingly fun template to play. Use a 1 FC shield.

Being able to Whirlwind/Hit Area on a Tamer while standing under your pet on guard lets you clear house easily. Or you can switch to an AI or Double Strike weapon for solo monsters. 'Target switchers' which isn't really a thing, but things with auras/that cast Necro spells are a non issue because you're Life Leeching anyway while Vetting pet. Also (lost track of how many times I've had to say this) you can make monsters target your pet by moving so that the monster stands on the same tile as the pet, it will target whatever is closest to it and attacking it, you then need to move off of that tile, that way even if it has aura/Necro spells it will at most hit you twice before retargeting the pet.