• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are these starter pets any good?

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Hello, I was tamed a couple of pets and was just wondering if they are worth training and I have a couple of questions to please. :)

1. Resists are no longer a factor when looking for a new pet, it's the their HP & str right?
  2. Can you increase the melee damage a pet does through training & planning, like the min & maxD?
  3. If you have less than 90 taming & put on taming jewelry, can you use primer or mastery book?(for my secondary account)
  4. I know a female char can't ride a Ki-rin, but can they still own & control one?
  5. Is there an NPC tamer's guild?
  6. Is this freshly tamed one slot Hyru any good? > 231 HP & 159 str
  7. Is this freshly tamed 3 slot CU any good? > 521 HP & 604 str

Thanks

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good afternoon, Al, There are soo many great pets out there..If you are going for fresh tams I would go for a lesser hiryu as are 1 slot and 5 slot nicely, I try and shot for one around 270-280ishHp range(you can get them up to 300hp but if the skills and other stats are too high they will cross the threshold and be a 2 slot robbing you of 1500 points) and 175-200str.. you can also get them with over Gm wrest but this is not as big of a thing as the HP and str and often is a key cause of them going over 1 slot to 2 when added to the other great stats.. Gaint and fire beetle are amazing (str will only go to 678 because of high start int 500).. and with the pub 100 poison changes(if ya take that route) are only better.. they start with the same base stats so just the first ones ya tam will be fine... The new taming system does allow you to effect a pet melee damage and speed at which it white swings fire off..(normal melee attacks) The key things you want to increase to insure you are getting max damage out of your pet( not counting power scrolls) are str ..You want this at 700 ideally it increase the pets melee damage special move damage, base damage another huge damage mod(especially on chiv pets) every few slots the cap of this is increase.. just make sure on your last lvl of training you max this out to 22-33/34.. dex/stam the other mid maxes.. dex on some pets does go over 150 ..but for those that don't start with it you want to train the pet normally to the 125 cap(saves you 15 points if you train both dex and stam to 125 before investing in them in the new system) increasing dex to 150 increases the pets unmounted ground speed which in battle with many mobs allow it to stay in melee range and get out of bad area fast when need be.. next is stam.. you want this max to 150 as well as this increase its swing speed.. and is a sizable damage increase...

You need a real skill lvl of 90 to use mastery sadly.. item don't count.. once ya hit 90 you can use mastery to lvl taming super fast as well.. as turning it off and on procs gains.. as for the kirin if you have a female tamer just go for the unicorn... awesome pet and it uses the old code so its immune to poison withoiut having 100 poison RS.
When it comes to cus unless its a rare color one I try and shot for one at least 580-600 HP and 600-610 str as as str and HP cost 30 point per 10.. so having a cu near 520-530hp mark is costly , anywhere from 176-206ish points.. which can be huge..

I hope this helps mate.. I was out of bed for abit and figured I would check the forums.. if ya have anymore questions feel free to ask or post as there ar emany fine testers here.. and we are always happy to help =^-^=
P.S. did this in a hurry did not proff read it sorry if its abit blocky and iffy..lol I ended up jumping out of bed and gave it a 2nd look.. but still in med land.. so Im sure it only helped abit..lol

Last edited:

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Hello, I was tamed a couple of pets and was just wondering if they are worth training and I have a couple of questions to please. :)

1. Resists are no longer a factor when looking for a new pet, it's the their HP & str right?
  2. Can you increase the melee damage a pet does through training & planning, like the min & maxD?
  3. If you have less than 90 taming & put on taming jewelry, can you use primer or mastery book?(for my secondary account)
  4. I know a female char can't ride a Ki-rin, but can they still own & control one?
  5. Is there an NPC tamer's guild?
  6. Is this freshly tamed one slot Hyru any good? > 231 HP & 159 str
  7. Is this freshly tamed 3 slot CU any good? > 521 HP & 604 str

Thanks
  1. Resist still matter as much as STR/HP. 1 Resist = 3 Training Points, 1 Strength = 3 Training Points, 1 Hit Point = 3 Training Points. So they are all equal in regards to intensity. For example, if you find a pet with 10 extra health, but it's missing 30 resists, that will be a worse pet than one that is missing 10 health, but has 30 more resists (assuming all other stats are equal). This gets more complicated when involving pets that can naturally overcap resists, as those pets you want to look for low-end resists only on the overcapped ones.

2. You can increase Base Damage of your pet during training, depending on it's current control slot. A common mistake newer tamers make is only increasing Base Damage once and then leaving it. It works differently than any other stat does in the new animal taming system, in that it has a cap per-control slot. So make sure you increase Base Damage each training cycle (or once during the final training cycle -- just don't forget!)

3. All Masteries require real skill to function, so 90 real minimum to utilize the mastery. It's effects and cost will also get better the higher your natural skill goes.

4. Males can Tame, Ride, & Control Ki-Rin,but Females can only control them. Similarly, Females can Tame, Ride, & Control Unicorns, but Males can only control them.

5. I'm not sure. I ran around Haven and didn't see an actual NPC Guildmaster for Animal Taming. It may be one doesn't exist.

6. Lesser Hiryus cap out at 205 Strength and 300 Hits on fresh tame, so the one you found is probably on the lower end. But Lesser Hiryu's can go 1-5 slot, so they are actually incredibly powerful creatures once trained.

7. Cu Sidhes cap out at 613 Strength and 600 Hit Points. Yours has nice Str, but is a little low on HP. For Cus, you also need to look at the Cold/Energy Resist, as those can overcap pretty high and most do not wan't them overcapped.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Color is all that matters with Lessers, Hiryus and Cus. Ill give you a plain 590HP 611 STR Cu for a Black, white or red of any stats all day.

A plain lesser of whatever stats for your Blue ones.

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Color is all that matters with Lessers, Hiryus and Cus. Ill give you a plain 590HP 611 STR Cu for a Black, white or red of any stats all day.

A plain lesser of whatever stats for your Blue ones.
LOL Maybe down the road I will get some of those to show off.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh, well then, I should mention that the lesser Hiryu has 70 physical and fire resist. :D
You have to add up the total resists and compare to the spawn cap total. The cold may be 10.

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Add Fire Steed to your ridables list. Give AI/FWW/Chiv a try. It gets good after 80 on Ninja and Chiv. AI/Feint/Chiv is nice, but the FWW is good and starts to show an advantage to the Fire Steed's ability to have 2 Special moves. To select a good quality one to train, add the number of points for Hit Points, Strength, and each resist. As Khyro mentions, they all are a cost of 3 per point to raise when you level your pet. Tame 2 or 3 and compare the spread in points. Keep going until you find one that you're happy with. Also, even though it is smaller, because the cost of int/mana and dex/stamina is less, if you have int or dex below 125, raise it before you level to maximize the points on your final pet. These will bump their corresponding mana and stamina as they increase as well.

Use your Cu to tank for your lesser hiyru, to make it easier to gain it's first level.

Once you start training and leveling up the pets, you'll want to have jewels on, even 110/100 is an occasional refusal to obey commands. You can start using pet mastery to gain skill after 90, you don't need lrc, so save your meddable high mana regen parts and go to town on it.

Another random thing to throw out there, if you are going to make a necromare, that is the only time you don't want to increase base damage as the first thing you do. Level up NecroMage before your final training level, because it will take a full level of points, and then you can max the base damage on the last level anyway. I tried one, but it seems not really worth it, but still, worth trying to see for yourself, at some point.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Stats over color, once you have all the colors ^^

Im looking for perfect cus. If I find these stats below Im happy. Doesnt matter which color, it just means I can min-max a CU for a specific task.

As close to 600HP, 613str, 65 30 70 55 70 or 65 30 80 45 80 :)

Over 80 cold/energy and I call it a loss unless it's maybe just a few points over in one of either cold/energy.
Why? 365 limit, I want that neat 80 80 80 45 80 or 80 75 70 70 70 etc.