• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The quirkiness of some disallowed names....

• Thread starter Victoria Navarre
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4
V

Victoria Navarre

I wish the devs or whoever is in charge of deciding what name is acceptable especially when it comes to guild names would adjust the list. I went to make a crafter/merchant guild a few days ago with the same type name as you see in my siggy. I kept being told the guild name is unacceptable. It seems that using the word "association" is offensive to some. While others name their characters with such childish names that boggles the mind on how it got past the censors.

:coco: :coco: :coco: :coco: :coco:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I once wanted to make a guild that was a trade association, needless to say, that idea did no fly as a guild name, and I was quite annoyed.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Trust me I know..... I get seriously disgusted by some of the names I see people running around with... or that they name their pets.... I'm like seriously???? and you don't get paged on or banned for that???

Oh and don't even get me started about some of the smeg I've seen people name their boats!

And we can't make folk a councilor of our guild or anything..... without doing plays on letters or misspelling... it.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Long long ago when I got into UO I didn't take it seriously or think it be around for more then a couple years. So had little fun naming a couple characters. Many years later in lonely place in Ilsh grinding for hours ......... yanked to a prison cell for first time. Think cool the GM wants my advise. But no the GM started rotating in random NPCs and all he said was "I'll stop when you say , when." And like that Bohica Azwhoel had a new random NPC name. Was asked if any my other named characters may need a change. Told me UR Fubar was OK even after I had to explain to the GM what FUBAR was.

Couldn't name my nightmare Monbat Assassin.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Compassion" also gets blocked too, so one of my vendors named for the virtues had to resort to an umlaut instead ... it looks so ugly, damn it!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last year I saw a player who chose the name "TheRapist". Funny thing is, this name is allowed, but the guild title "Assassin" isn't.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
we had this very conversation in TS last night when i got one of those new swords, the Defiler.

i thought that was a pretty nasty name for a weapon.
im sure if i picked that as a name in game id get a visit from a GM and a nice new random NPC name.

hey, can someone lend me that new katana, i want to go defile some pixi's.
that just sounds wrong, hehe.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Compassion. Siegmund. Titus Pullo.

Not to mention all the profession titles (Bard. Alchemist. Blacksmith.) that cannot be used as a Guild Title.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As an American, I find it especially ironic that "Constitution" is blocked by the profanity filter...

(My mule, named Daystrom after the creator of the M5 computer in Classic Star Trek, was attempting to name all his pack animals after Enterprise sister ships)

C

chuckoatl

Buster Hymen, now buster :(
Peter Dragon, now Necro Joe
Hugh G Rection, now paul Little :(
and the guild "One nut and the Longshanks" (Tag: P==D) now Longshanks Legonaires (Tag: LEGO)

This is just my toons from the accounts I have now. Cant remember my old names. Several have been changed through the years.

G

Gowron

I had a char named Hugh Jorgan for a while, but decided to delete it after a week. It was only for a few laughs anyway...

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Deleted because of the next post. Althought my name did not breach the naming policy of UO when i made it, it does "breach the stratics RoC".....

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Mining Guild "Deep Penetration Crew" (DPC) got me a 24 hour ban!

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Back in the day I had a char named "Tommy Tank", luckily most of the GM's didn't get the cockney lingo :).

Edit - I'm fairly sure my mate had one called A tommy tanker too! That was the days where we ran around with bows & arrows in packs of 5!!

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I saw a fisherman one day by the name of Master Baiter.

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Red char Ben Dover was changed to Earl :(
Think that's bad. I went to school with a kid whoms name was actually Bejamin Dover. We figured his parents hated him. Also delivered to a woman who worked at the Dolly Dimple motel. Her name: Anita Hooker.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Emily Evans... Can't name a character Emily anymore... So she's a rare.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Think that's bad. I went to school with a kid whoms name was actually Bejamin Dover. We figured his parents hated him.

This brought back memories of a company I worked at 20 years ago. We had a guard on the payroll named Eileen Dover. Nicest old lady, she used to stop in to pick up her paycheck at the office every 2 weeks. I never had the heart to ask if it was her married name or if her just parents hated her.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They made my old guildmate change his name from Richard Cranium to something else - but the only change they required for his other character "Minstrel Flo" was to add "The " before the name.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They made my old guildmate change his name from Richard Cranium to something else - but the only change they required for his other character "Minstrel Flo" was to add "The " before the name.
I have a Richard Cranium on Sonoma. Used to be one of my alt Reds I used back in my FL days when we set up a presence on that shard. Haven't played him in years.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This brought back memories of a company I worked at 20 years ago. We had a guard on the payroll named Eileen Dover. Nicest old lady, she used to stop in to pick up her paycheck at the office every 2 weeks. I never had the heart to ask if it was her married name or if her just parents hated her.
I'd like to be able to tell you what name was inscribed on one of my books in High School .... but I can't put that here... it'd be pancakes... and I always wondered that same thing... did his parents hate him seriously that much? I'm sure he got teased relentlessly in school... Felt rather bad for him made a vow to NEVER do that to my children... I rather thought I succeeded in some of that...

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some of my favorites I've encountered:

Mr. Jurassic Park
Untitled1.png

This translates into "Batman versus Superman" in English. Imagine that being your actual name... I want to meet the parents...

Untitled4.png

Yep, these are totally the lawyers I want handling my case...

Untitled9.png

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
started in UO with Legends, year 2000 - didn't log in right away 'cause I wanted to name my character Flint and it wouldn't let - never understood that one

dumbest moment in all of UO - making Poo change his name

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This translates into "Batman versus Superman" in English. Imagine that being your actual name... I want to meet the parents...
I'm pretty sure Bin actually means "Son of". Osama Bin Laden means Osama son of Laden, for example. Batman son of Superman sounds interesting. Bin, Ibn, Eben, Ben and a few others are variations of "son of". It's important when announcing someone by name. "Ahmed Ben Falwal" should be addressed as Mr Falwal or Mr Ahmed Falwal but never Mr. Ben Falwal as if the two are his last name. People get it wrong a lot, even politicians said things like "we killed Bin Laden" which actually means "we killed the sons of Laden" which could be a large number of people.

I got excited seeing Hawkeye Pike the pirate posting in this thread, he's been gone a long while it seems. Bin a Gun, now that's a necro!

FYI: Arabic isn't the only language that uses the first name of the child and the first name of the father as the child's first and last names, with no real last name. It's done in Icelandic culture as well. If the father was named Hrog and the daughter named Olga the daughter's name would thus become Olga Hrogsdottir. Cultures where honor is placed above life itself all do this, your name is only as valuable as the honor it carries. If your father was a thief you carry on his dishonor type stuff.

It's also not only the name of the father, someone can be named, for example: "Ahmir, eben labash, eben matweed" is ahmir, son of labash and matweed(mother and father). Sometimes they even include the name of both parents and the name of their parent's parents but it's getting too complicated for me already so :)

Last edited: