• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UOAssist - Is now infected with Trojan:Win32/Bitrep.A... (be aware)

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As the latest update today - or from the ads, the UO Assist is infected with this Trojan:Win32/Bitrep.A

I ran 3 virus check - and all 3 reported the same, Windows Defender, Norton and Nod32.

So far - i find reports its a keylogger...

Last edited:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is why the people who make this game should do that, make it a standard part of the client, and tend to their business.
Hell, they could even make it the Classic Client Improved...and charge a one time fee for us to get it.
And that way, new patches wouldn't shut it down for a day or so.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I cleared out everything about UOA even in the Reg and after Tug fixed it Norton let me download the new file and it created everything needed even the new dll file.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just load UOAssist and there was no hits. I also used the search function with the system to search every file/folder and removed those also just to make sure nothing was left of anything UOA on my system. This is what I did but use your own judgement to do or not to do. T-hunters/Fisherman need UOAutomap so it requires UOA or I might not have gone to all this file removal to get it back.

TheWolf

Adventurer
As the latest update today - or from the ads, the UO Assist is infected with this Trojan:Win32/Bitrep.A

I ran 3 virus check - and all 3 reported the same, Windows Defender, Norton and Nod32.

So far - i find reports its a keylogger...
Thank you for saving me the time

TheWolf

Adventurer
Why would anyone still use UO Assist?
Since ive disabled UOA and no longer playing, I have some time to reply to people who don't deserve it. Who are you to judge what people find enjoyable? Why do you play UO? Why don't you go play a modern game? EC looks like a bad dream, like the kind you had for 6 hours, but cant remember what you actually seen when you wake up. Like it was all just a blur. You can take EC and shove it up somewhere.

Sorry if i'm cranky, haven't got my UO fix. Anyways, back to playing league of legends.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I got same warning today. Cause uoa injects itself in another software e.g. uo. Using standard Windows functions. This will detected as keylogger functionality.
Reinstalled with fresh download from tugsoft. Folder scan gives OK.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And this one has got me today, my anti-virus has removed UOA and quarantined it - all good fun - not, all I ever want to do is log in and play, not be an IT admin all my life.

Seriously, anyone involved in IT, programming or developing in todays world needs to be sacked, and mankind needs to start again. Either that, or the entire concept of IT needs to be got rid of, and we go down another completely different technological path - one that maybe mankind can actually do.

Every single one is really **** at their jobs.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play CC and have never used any 3rd party programs......y'all must be really bad at UO if you need them.... :fight::slap:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I play CC and have never used any 3rd party programs......y'all must be really bad at UO if you need them.... :fight::slap:
Do you use any of the map programs, they all require UOA to work %100 and you don't need to be a registered user to have this part function.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you use any of the map programs, they all require UOA to work %100 and you don't need to be a registered user to have this part function.
Nope, not one. I don't PvP though so no real need to.
Sorry, I did use UO Homeowner about 10 years ago when I was being lazy ;)

TheWolf

Adventurer
Has nothing to do with being good or bad. What is the point of making like 100-1000 extra mouse clicks each time you play? A lot easier to make changes to macros. The CC interface is very clunky. Not to mention dress macros, sell macros, and other visual features.

I have fractured my finger 4 times in 5 years due to work. I have arthritis in almost every finger. Also i'm not too pleased when I have to replace a high end mouse due to too much clicking. Those are just a few reasons off the top of my head

DSC Napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Since ive disabled UOA and no longer playing, I have some time to reply to people who don't deserve it. Who are you to judge what people find enjoyable? Why do you play UO? Why don't you go play a modern game? EC looks like a bad dream, like the kind you had for 6 hours, but cant remember what you actually seen when you wake up. Like it was all just a blur. You can take EC and shove it up somewhere.

Sorry if i'm cranky, haven't got my UO fix. Anyways, back to playing league of legends.
I don`t use EC.

Get with the times.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nope, not one. I don't PvP though so no real need to.
Sorry, I did use UO Homeowner about 10 years ago when I was being lazy ;)
I don't use the map programs to PvP with I use them for T-Hunting and esp SOSs and UOA is needed for that

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I use the CC and a sextant if I want to dig or fish up chests, and I get the basic coordinates for the maps from the Davey's Locker. Haven't used UO Assist in years, but also haven't PvP'd or needed to be on a map with someone else in a long time either.
I do a file with 100 SOSs and then make a run is all UOA and UOAutomap is used for anymore

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The reverted UOAssist is STILL NOT INFECTED. (checked with Norton, McAfee, and others, that ALL caught the infected versions).

You have to go OUT OF YOUR WAY to find the download for the infected one and DELIBERATELY install it, to have it now.

Currently, running UOAssist's updater, it does a 0 of 1 updates downloaded (the updater has been told to deliberately NOT download that infected update by Tug).

I took an old computer, with the old UOA on it (hadn't been turned on in months), and it is also not attempting to download or install updates, and is not having issues.

Something sounds fishy here.

TheWolf

Adventurer
The reverted UOAssist is STILL NOT INFECTED. (checked with Norton, McAfee, and others, that ALL caught the infected versions).

You have to go OUT OF YOUR WAY to find the download for the infected one and DELIBERATELY install it, to have it now.

Currently, running UOAssist's updater, it does a 0 of 1 updates downloaded (the updater has been told to deliberately NOT download that infected update by Tug).

I took an old computer, with the old UOA on it (hadn't been turned on in months), and it is also not attempting to download or install updates, and is not having issues.

Something sounds fishy here.
Whole thing sounds fishy. First ads on the updater. Now keylogers.
I think its possible to hide keyloggers in files, so they pass virus scans, then have them open up at a later date.
Wether its a win10 issue, or legit malware. I most likely wont be playing UO until this fishy mess is sorted out.

Papang

Adventurer
just tried updating UOA because of this thread and my Kaspersky AV alerted me of a trojan.
I'm happy to not use and pay this bad ads/worms anti-assist for UO.

There is a way better alternatives over Google AND open source but subject is too much taboo...

Syncros

Adventurer
Why would anyone still use UO Assist?
Because the devs refuse to improve upon what already works in a basic form. Look how many years its been and none of the features from UOA or UOAM etc.. hasnt ever been put into the default CC. Sure you dont want to take everything another developer did but over the years some could be added/improved upon.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They coulda used some of the Pub 100 efforts to make their own addin for the CC. Really. Because the list of "bugs" fixed in 100 is two pages long, but mostly fluff...Other than screwing up shadowguard and messing with masteries/soulstones, I don't see what the big deal was. I know all the :cheerleader: are super excited about a bug fix, but really, a few missing tiles in the land masses, making sugar canes give seeds, that kinda stuff could be done in a daily patch it seems to me.

I would love to have that chest out of Nujelm gardens, but I don't expect a 3 month publish to get it done.

I don't think any of us expect them to spend a lot of months fixing and adding to the CC, but it would be nice to have a feature added every now and then,

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just tried to download UOA and it still gives me a virus warning.
Microsoft Windows Defender says "Program:Win32/Unwaders.C!ml" when downloading from www.tugsoft.com